Scottsville High School
Construction of the Scottsville High School building began in 1925 and was completed in March, 1926 in time to graduate a class of 71 students. Located on the corner of North Third and Poplar Streets, the brick building with white masonry trim was built at a cost of $45,000 including the land. At that time it contained 10 class rooms, two offices, and a study hall which doubled as an auditorium and a banquet hall. A complete home economics department was maintained as well as a biology and science laboratory. Agriculture and commercial courses were included in its schedule; music and physical education were later additions. Those who were serving on the Board of Education in the year 1925 were K.B. Garrison, T.W. Crow, Sr., Lee Williams, Dr. Lattie Graves, Dr. H.M. Meredith, Frank Goad, Sr., and Prof. N. D. Bryant, Superintendent of the Scottsville Schools. Prof. Bryant is credited wit spearheading the drive for a new high school building. In 1960 a new brick gym replaced the old wooden one at the rear of the building and in1970 a circular shaped annex was built on to the south sing. It included a large library and additional classrooms. In 1973 the city and county school boards worked out a merger of the two school systems and in the fall of 1974 the city high school students were transferred to the county high school building completed in 1970 and located on the Bowling Green Road. The building which was the Scottsville High School for almost 50 years is now used as a United States Reserve Center.
[back to home page]