Allen County African-American Church Histories

Main |  Kentucky Data  |  Family Records   |  Photos   |  Slave Records  Tombstone Project  Vital Records   |  Surname Registry 

Look Ups!  | Acknowledgements  Queries    |  Submissions  |  Publications  |  Site Search Contact Us


County Collections

Adair  Allen Anderson  Ballard  Barren  Bath  Bell  Boone  Bourbon  Boyd  Boyle  Bracken  Breathitt Breckinridge  Bullitt     Butler  Caldwell  Calloway   Campbell   Carlisle Carroll Carter  Casey  Christian   Clark  Clay  Clinton Crittenden Cumberland  Daviess  Edmonson Elliott   Estill  Fayette Fleming  Floyd  Franklin  Fulton  Gallatin   Garrard  Grant  Graves  Grayson  Green  Greenup  Hancock  Hardin  Harlan  Harrison  Hart  Henderson  Henry  Hickman  Hopkins  Jackson  Jefferson  Jessamine  Johnson  Kenton  Knott   Knox

LaRue  Laurel Lawrence  Lee  Leslie  Letcher  Lewis  Lincoln  Livingston  Logan  Lyon  Madison Magoffin  Marion  Marshall  Martin  Mason  McCracken McCreary  Mclean Meade Menifee Mercer  Metcalfe  Monroe  Montgomery  Morgan  Muhlenberg  Nelson  Nicholas  Ohio  Oldham  Owen  Owsley  Pendleton  Perry  Pike   Powell  Pulaski  Robertson Rockcastle  Rowan  Russell  Scott  Shelby Simpson  Spencer  Taylor  Todd  Trigg  Trimble  Union  Warren  Washington  Wayne  Webster  Whitley  Wolfe Woodford



Allen County African-American Church Histories


Courtesy Barren’s Black Roots Volume 3, Michelle Gorin Burris, Gorin Genealogical Publishing, (c) May 1993. Source: The Jubilee History and Biographical Sketches of Liberty Association, by G. RE. Ford, Printed and Published by Times Publishing Company of Smiths Grove, Ky., 1916.


Greenville Baptist Church

Settle, Allen County


                “The Missionary Baptist Church, formerly called Needmore, is located near Sulphur Creek, in Allen County. It was organized in the year 1872, the organization being composed of colored members belonging to white people’s churches of various places. Those officiating in the organizing of the church were Rev. B. Rogers, moderator, assisted by Rev. P. Murrell and a white brother by the name of Tom Morehead, who was secretary of the business.


                “Rev. B. Rogers pastored the church from its organization to 1897. Brother G. W. Start was the first clerk of the church. He held that office till 1892. The various clerk from then till the present were: Bro. Festus Stark, Sister Henrietta Howard, and others; the present clerk is Sister Edna Rally Stark.


                “The first church building was of logs and very poorly seated, costing about $25.00. The second building was of sawed material, worth about $200.00 at that time. The third building, which is the second house, is a nice frame, neatly weather boarded, very beautifully seated and located on the public road about nine miles north of Scottsville, Allen County, Ky.


                “The church owns about ten acres of good land, and the church and property are now worth $2,500.00.


                “Rev. C. C. Davidson (pictured) was pastor of the church after the death of Rev. B. Rogers, in 1897, until 1907. After his death, on the fourth Saturday in February, 1908, the church chose for its pastor Rev. G. R. Ford, who is the author of this book, also the moderator of the association and is the present pastor. The present officers are Alfred Landers, Edd Richey and Frank Sears, deacons. The former deacons were: J. W. Stovall, Jessey Stark, J. W. Stark, Kupe Stovall, Henry Whitney, Richard Willoughby and Richard Lee, all of whom are dead.”