Rice County History
"A Souvenir of Sterling, Kansas"
Sterling Lions Club, 1925
.....located in Rice County, near the center of the State, in the Arkansas Valley, on Santa Fe main line and Missouri Pacific railroads. On the Santa Fe, Nebraska-Kansas-Oklahoma, and other trails, with paved road of twenty-five miles leading
from Hutchinson. Was surveyed in January 1872. Chartered as third class city and
name changed from Peace to Sterling in 1875; now a city of the second class. Cooper
Memorial (now Sterling) College opened to students in the fall of 1887.
Its advantages — An excellent Municipal Water and Light Plant, modern 650-barrel
Flour Mill, 30-ton Salt Plant, 12-ton Ice Plant, 1000-gallon Ice Cream Factory; three
Banks with a combined capital of $235,000, and deposits aggregating $800,000; Swimming
Pool 10x80 feet; 20-Bed Hospital; Shade Trees and Parks; an altitude of 1635 feet;
nearly one and one-half miles of Paved Streets and White Way; a Sanitary Sewer System under construction; a rich Agricultural Country surrounding it; excellent Public
Schools with a high school accredited in the North-Central Association; Sterling College
with one-third million assets; a Free Public Library; sufficient, active Protestant Church
Organizations to care for all; a high moral and religious atmosphere; no public pool hall
for over thirty years.
A good place to live, to rear and to educate a family.
Businesses pictured below: Arnold-Madaus Milling Co.; First National Bank; Farmers State Bank; Citizens State Bank; Cooke Drug Store; Sledd Drug Store.
Residences listed below: Dilley, Hodge, Zimmerman, Vogel and Trueheart.
Rice Co. KHHP
� 2011-2012 Kansas History and Heritage Project