The Allen Town Company consisted of John GRIMSLEY , president; George WITHINGTON , clerk; R. A. REABURN , D. W. LEAVELL , W. E. RUST , E. R. MARCY , and Emil SHELLACK . This group purchased first a quarter section, and later a second quarter section west of the first one.
Records show that on November 6, 1886, Lemuel H. JOHNSON and his wife, Emeline J., deeded to the Allen Town Company the southwest quarter of Section 14, Township 16, and Range 11. Railroad right of way was not part of the land; "excepting the right of way here to fore condemned by the Council Grove, Osage City and Ottawa Rail Road Company" (Missouri Pacific right of way).
All of the land in that quarter section was later deeded away to the Allen Town Company, except the cemetery plot, about 365 feet east and west by 357 feet north and south of the southwest quarter. When the Allen Town Company was disbanded in about 1895, the cemetery, which it had owned, was turned over to the town of Allen. It continues in use today.
View Larger Map
Allen Cemetery Tombstone Readings
Allen Cemetery Tombstone Readings and More
Visitors since January 1, 2021