Admire, Kansas Cemetery History - Flint Hills Genealogical Society
The Admire Cemetery is located one half mile northwest of the town of Admire (on US Highway 56 between Road P and Road R).
Admire is about 21 miles northeast of the city of Emporia, Kansas. (Section 20, Township 16, Range 12)Albion MILLER and his wife Mary, deeded two acres of land for the sum of $40.00 to the Admire Cemetery
Association, a corporation of Lyon County, Kansas, on February 15, 1896. Members of the original Association
were: Fremont MILLER, F. E. PARR, Willis CLAYTON, W.F. WHITE, Joseph OGLEBY, Dr. C. D. HATCHER,
A. G. ROBB, and J. W. JULENTINE. The corporation was granted a charter on the 25th of February 1896, and J.
R. LEWIN, President and E. C.WILLIAMS, Secretary of the Cemetery Association recorded the deed April 9, 1930.
The deed gives the exact locations as a point of the northeast count of the northwest quarter of Section 20, Township
16, Range 12, being 2 acres. Six one hundredth of an acre has been taken off the East Side of the property for a
road. The troublesome Corporation laws caused it to dissolve in 1933 and now it exists as an Association.The earliest legible date on a monument in the cemetery is that of Dora A., daughter of J. and S. OGLEBY, who
died September 15, 1875, at the age of 10 months and 14 days. Several families that once buried their loved ones on
the farm moved them to the Admire Cemetery later. That accounts for several inscriptions prior to 1896. The first
two people buried in the cemetery were Luke J. TAYLOR, who died July 23, 1900, and a Mrs. SHEUMAKER, who
has no marker. The cemetery is still in use today.