Kansas History and Heritage Project--Dickinson County Directories

Dickinson County Obituaries
1886 Obits and Death Notices
Herington Tribune

Below are obits/death notices from the weekly Herington Tribune during the year 1886. These are listed chronologically.

Died, on Friday evening, the 22nd of January, 1886, the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Reuben Dix at their home. The remains of the little one were interred in the Valley Cemetery, Saturday at 3 p.m., surrounded by parents and friends. Funeral exercises were conducted by the Rev. Honnell of Herington.

An infant son born to Mrs. and Rev. Dr. T. J. Nair on Thursday, January 21, 1886, died January 22. The babe lived but five hours.

Mrs. H. W. McCurdy, wife of Rev. Hiram McCurdy, died on Saturday (Feb. 13, 1886) last. Funeral services were held last Sunday.

Mrs. Ada O. Silvius, consort of Mr. Uriah Silvius of this place, departed this life Saturday night, March 27th, 1886. Mrs. Silvius was sick only a few days. She leaves a husband and five small children to mourn the loss of a good companion and mother. Funeral services by Rev. Dr. T. J. Nair and W. P. Blake, of this city.

The little child of Mr. Kenneth Gunn, mentioned in the "Dix Dots" as having drank concentrated lye a day or two ago, died yesterday, June 23, 1886.

Whooping cough prevails in the area around Grand Prairie school. A infant of Mr. and Mrs. John Swanson died the second week in June (1886) of the disease.

Died on Friday, July 30th, 1886, a son, the youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Owens, of Slough Creek.

A sad accident resulting in the death of the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Nelson Carver occurred at the residence of T. K. Jacobs on Thursday, Aug. 12, 1886. The little one fell from a chair to the floor, but was not thought to be seriously hurt, and was taken to bed as usual. Upon awakening the next morning, Mrs. Carver found the little one to be dead. The funeral services were held at the Sunny Side school house on Friday, Rev. Mellinger officiating.

John Powers, age 63, of Chapman, shot himself in his barn this afternoon (Aug. 22, 1886). He had been in poor health for the past years, and this, with family trouble, preyed upon his mind so that he concluded to end his existence. He evidently died instantly, as he was found dead one hour after.

Jacob, young son of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob McVay died Monday, Sept. 6, 1886 and was buried in the city cemetery the next day. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. W. W. Kendall of the M. E. church.

Died on Friday, Sept. 17, 1886, of lingering consumption, Mr. Alex Waldie. Mr. Waldie was born in Scotland about 64 years ago, but left there when about 40 years of age, and emigrated to American, settling in Pennsylvania. After farming there a number of years he went to Illinois and from there to Kansas in the fall of 1878. Mr. Waldie leaves a widow, three daughters and one son to mourn his passing. The body was interred in the Valley cemetery Sunday morning by a large concourse of friends. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Blake of the Baptist church of Herington, of which church Mr. Waldie had been a member for a number of years.

After some weary, anxious nights and days, days of suffering and grief, Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Morrison saw their little Izora, their baby girl, gone from their loving embrace. Izora Ray Morrison was born July 28, 1881 and died Oct. 18, 1886. Sadly we laid the little body to rest, and the parents returned home to wait again by the bedside of their other children who were sick. Only two days had passed, when Alice Romain fell asleep to awaken in a better world. Alice was with her parents 11 years, 7 months and 23 days, and the little body was laid to rest close beside that of the little sister so lately gone. As we stood by the graves we graves we dared not linger there--little Robbie at home had said, "Mamma, come home soon." But Robbie was better, they said, and we hoped for his recovery. However, death's conquest was brief--the enemy again was with them--Robbie was gone. The last of the three and the last of the children with whom they had been blessed, Robert W. Morrison died Oct. 30th, 1886 aged 13 years, 7 months and 3 days. These little lives! What lessons of love, of humility, of sympathy, of tender forebearance and forgiveness, they leave with us who remain. Our Father has lead us into the darkness--we may not see him, but we may feel his hand and know the warmth of his heart, and trust him. Oh, trust him, weeping ones!--Their Pastor [note: the family lived near Hope and all three were buried in Sunset Hill Cemetery]

Milo Huston, an old and respected farmer of Clark's Creek, some five miles northeast of the city, died Dec. 27th, 1886 and was buried in the cemetery just west of this place. His remains were followed to their last resting place by a large number of his friends and neighbors.

Return to Dickinson Co. KHHP

This website created Nov. 8, 2003 by Sheryl McClure.
2003-2016 Kansas History and Heritage Project