Kansas History and Heritage Project--Dickinson County Directories

Dickinson County Obituaries
1885 Obits and Death Notices
Herington Tribune

Below are obits/death notices from the weekly Herington Tribune during the year 1885. These are listed chronologically.

Mrs. Minna Rubin, wife of August Rubin, died on Saturday of last week (Feb. 1, 1885). She was buried at Lyona and is survived by her husband and several children.

Valentine Meyer, an old citizen of Abilene and a highly respected member of the I.O.O.F., died in that city a week ago Saturday (March 7, 1885)

Last Sunday (March 8, 1885) afternoon, Albert Krausse and William Bleek, both young men employed at the mill were in a skiff above the dam. About five o'clock they allow the skiff too near the north dam and the current was too strong and carried the boat over the dam. Bleek sprang from the boat just before it went over, but Krausse, who was standing at the time, was thrown below on top of large rocks and probably stunned, as his head and face showed severe contusions when the body was recovered. Another party saw the accident, and rushed to the scene. George Jacoby was able to help Bleek to the shore, but Krausse, although said to be an excellent swimmer, seemed dazed and swam directly back to the rough water, and sank before he could be rescued. His body was recovered about an hour later by George Jacoby, C. W. Benham and Ed Jones. The funeral took place that Monday afternoon. [note: reprinted from the Enterprise Anti-Monopoly, March 12, 1885]

Elijah Bonebrake, an old and highly respected citizen of Abilene, died on Tuesday (March 10, 1885) of last week. His body was sent to St. Joseph county, Indiana, to be interred next to his wife.

Born, Saturday, April 18, 1885, to Mr. and Mrs. M. B. McCoy, a son. We are pained to announce that this, the first pledge of a happy union of thirteen years, was not given to brighten and gladden, their household, for ere the mother's first fond kiss of welcome was bestowed, its tender lips were closed in death and its spirit returned on angel wings to Him who gave it. The funeral sermon was preached by Rev. W. W. Kendall, Sunday, at the family residence a few miles east of this city.

Mrs. Clarke, wife of Dr. Clarke, of the Hope Herald, died Thursday, April 9, 1885. Her remains were interred in the Council Grove cemetery.

A thirteen month old child of Mr. and Mrs. Ballentine, near this place, died Tuesday, April 21, 1885 and was buried the next day.

We are called upon to announce the sudden demise of Lawrence Miller, who has been a resident of this county for the past five years. Mr. Miller complained of being unwell on last Saturday, but was able to be about his room until last evening, May 7, 1885, when he died very suddenly whilst sitting up in bed. Mr. Miller was aged 76 years, was a well to do farmer and a large land owner in the county, loved and respected by his family and acquaintances. He was the father of nineteen children, several of them being residents of this county. His remains will be buried at the Hiawatha cemetery, east of Enterprise, on Wednesday. [note: reprinted from the May 8th edition of the Abilene Gazette]

The remains of Thomas J. Downey, age 18, who was murdered June 1, 1885 on a sheep ranch in Cotulla, Texas, were brought to Abilene, to the home of his parents, and buried there.

William C. Hobbs, who died Monday, June 8, 1885, in Abilene, was buried yesterday afternoon.

Squire Stephen Fenton, of near Upland, was kicked by a mule a few days ago and died June 16, 1885, from the effects. He was interred in Liberty cemetery.

Mrs. Cassandra Lauer, aged 71 years, died in Abilene onJuly 27, 1885, while sitting in a chair listening to her husband reading the news from the paper. Buruial was in the city cemetery at that place.

Mrs. Frank Greene, daughter of Mrs. John Reeves of Abilene, died at Springfield, Mo., on July 28, 1885. Her remains were interred in Abilene.

Dora, the daughter of Jacob and Anna McVay, died at her home near Herington on Monday, August 17, 1885. She was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania on June 22, 1864, age 21 years, one month and 26 days. She moved to Iowa with her parents at the age of three years, and from Iowa to Dickinson county, Kansas last October, 1884. She had not long been a resident of this neighborhood but the short time she spent among us but endowed by nature with a mind of singular brightness, she was the life of every company into which she came. Graced with a gentle and loving disposition, she lived only for those she loved. Her body now sleeps in the new cemetery on the hill that overlooks the town and beautiful valley.

After a lingering illness of about five months, Mrs. Amy Glover died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Sarah Davis, four miles south of Earlville, on Sunday, July 5, 1885. The remains were buried at Harding. The deceased was born in Cheshire, Mass., on the 12th of Dec., 1805 and in 1825 was united in marriage with Henry Glover. Her maiden name was Amy Bliss. Soon after they moved to Hamilton, Madison county, New York where they resided until 1837 when with a wagon, they removed to Illinois. Mr. Glover died in 1849 leaving her a widow with seven children, five of whom survive her: E. L. Glover of Earlville; R. B. Glover who resides in Colorado; Mrs. Sarah Davis and Mrs. S. M. Meloy, both of Earlville; and Mr. F. L. Glover of Herington, Kansas. For 27 years after the death of her husband she resided in the family of her son, Alonzo Glover; for the last three years and since the death of Alonzo Glover she has lived with her daughter, Mrs. Davis. [note: reprinted from the Earlville (IL) Leader]

The little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Kendall died September 8, 1885 and was buried last week. She died of flux.

Died, at Abilene, Kansas, on Sunday, September 13, 1885, Hannah, wife of Rev. S. P. Harrington, age 55 years, 10 months and 27 days. The funeral took place from the family residence on West Fifth St., conducted by Rev. G. A. Bowers, at 10 a.m. Tuesday.

Died, on Friday night, September 18th, 1885, at the residence of his parents, in this place, of acute consumption, Henry T. Field. The funeral took place from the family residence, on Broadway, conducted by Rev. W. W. Kendall, at 10 a.m. Saturday. The remains were followed to their final and last abode in the new cemetery west of the city by a large number of the young associates of the deceased and friends of the bereaved family.

Mrs. A. H. Johnson died in this city the evening of October 6, 1885, after a long and painful illness. Her remains were taken to Parkerville, Morris county, yesterday, and interred in the cemetery at that place. Mr. Johnson is also very ill at this time.

Miss Mollie DeHoff, nee Whitesell, was born in Augusta county, Virginia. She came to Kansas in the spring of 1883 and has lived here ever since until on Thursday, Oct. 29, 1885, after a long and painful illness, which she bore with patient resignation and Christian fortitude. She had only been married about three months to Mr. Peter DeHoff, of this city, when the messenger came to bear her spirit across the dark valley, to a happier place where her mother and an older brother await her. She is survived by her sorrowing husband and a brother, Billy, both of this place. Mr. Peter DeHoff is also quite ill.

A little son of Mr. and Mrs. O. Moore, died Sunday, Nov. 1, 1885 and was buried in the city cemetery on Monday. A large number of the children of the city followed the remains of their deceased playmate to his final abode.

Mrs. J. Fuss, wife of our blacksmith and wagon manufacturer, died Monday, Nov. 30, 1885 and was interred in the city cemetery Tuesday afternoon. The funeral took place from the M.E. church. Her remains were accompanied to their lonely abode by a large number of sympathising friends.

Return to Dickinson Co. KHHP

This website created Nov. 8, 2003 by Sheryl McClure.
2003-2016 Kansas History and Heritage Project