District No. 4
Taken in part from
On October 4, 1879, school district number 4 was formed. The first school meeting was held November 3, 1879, and the permanent organization perfected at that time.
The school was named "Vallonia".
The first school was a three months term held in a dugout in 1880. This was a subscription school. The teacher boarding around with the patrons of the district and being paid a small amount of cash.
In 1884 a sod school house was built. The school consisted of 60 pupils and 1 teacher. This building was a little better equipped, having benches for seats and a teachers desk. No definite school book was used.
In 1888 there was a need for a new school house and a one room frame building was built. The school still continued to be a large one and fully appreciated their new building which was free of the worry of snakes and other insects.
1921 Standard Atlas of Decatur County Kansas
Copyrighted 1921 by Geo. A. Ogle & Co
. owned by Phil and Sharleen Wurm
Atlas owned by Phil and Sharleen Wurm
Back to School Districts of Decatur County
Home Page of Decatur County
This site was established by Sharleen Wurm and is dedicated to free access to records, documents and photos of historical and genealogical value. Documents contained herein may be copied for personal, non-commercial use as long as this message remains on all copied material. These records, documents and photos may not be reproduced, published or re-published for any reason, in any format, including electronic (web pages or CD's) and print, without prior written consent of the contributors or copyright holders.