Mt Center School
Taken in part from
The History of the School Districts of
On January 21, 1888 school district 94 was formed. The school house was centrally located on Section 14, Sherman Township, Range 28. It was also known as Sherman School, Logan School, and Van Pelt School. This school still is on the same location as when organized.
The first school was held in 1888 in the sod home of John Logan. In 1893 a one room sod school house was built. The roof caught on fire during school hours. But the teacher and older pupils removed everything from the room without loss of anything. A one room frame building was then built with modern seats, black boards, and teacher's desk.
Taken about 1900
Front Row: Lewis Heston, Otto Miller, Fred Miller,
Charles Ambler, Glenn Marlatt?, Chuck Logan, Chalmer Harger, Glenn Logan, Guy
Leist, Rolla Harger, Mayo Heston, and little boy probably not a pupil.
Middle Row: Harry Logan, Annie Miller, Lucy Leist, Mary Miller, Vena Gibson, Alice Ambler, Harriet Marlatt, and Harry Asbahr.
Back Row: Clara Wolf-teacher, Bessie Marlatt, Mamie Leist, Mattie Logan, Ernest Marlatt, Clyde Logan, Andy Harger, and Henry Miller.
Back to School Districts of Decatur County
Home Page of Decatur County
This site was established by Sharleen Wurm and is dedicated to free access to records, documents and photos of historical and genealogical value. Documents contained herein may be copied for personal, non-commercial use as long as this message remains on all copied material. These records, documents and photos may not be reproduced, published or re-published for any reason, in any format, including electronic (web pages or CD's) and print, without prior written consent of the contributors or copyright holders.