District No. 40
Locust Grove/Pleasant Ridge
Taken in part from
The History of the School Districts of
On November 1, 1884, school district number 40 was formed. The first school district meeting was held January 5, 1885, when a permanent organization was perfected and the first school district officers elected. The school bears the name Locust Grove.
The first school was held in a dugout home of A. Bruce in 1885 with Mrs. A. Bruce as teacher. During that year a one room sod house was built for school purposes.
In 1894 the district was divided and District 40 was then called Pleasant Ridge for the divided land between Sappa and Beaver Creek's water shed.
In 1920 the districts were reunited and at the new school location a grove of Locust trees surrounded the building hence the school's name. Playground equipment consists of swings, teeters, merry-go-round and on the grounds there is a fine storm proof cement and brick cyclone celler.
This memoir is from the Marian Cathcart collection.
School Year 1917-1919
Card owned by Joy Votapka
Back to School Districts of Decatur County
Home Page of Decatur County
This site was established by Sharleen Wurm and is dedicated to free access to records, documents and photos of historical and genealogical value. Documents contained herein may be copied for personal, non-commercial use as long as this message remains on all copied material. These records, documents and photos may not be reproduced, published or re-published for any reason, in any format, including electronic (web pages or CD's) and print, without prior written consent of the contributors or copyright holders.