District No. 14
Taken in part from
The History of the School Districts of
On July 10, 1880 school District number 14 was formed. In 1881 school was held in a dugout about 3/4 mile west of Traer. The first school building in Traer was a one room sod house 18 X 30 feet, built in 1884. This building was used for school, church, Sunday school, a place for voting and other gatherings. The second school building was a large one frame room building. In 1896 there was a school of 40 pupils and one teacher, and in 1897 the school consisted of 47 pupils. In 1907 the third frame school house was built. A High School course was added to this school in 1912-1913 with one instructor and 4 pupils enrolled. The fourth school building was built in 1936 to 1938. Being built of native rock. It had four school rooms, one office, auditorium, and two toilet rooms equipped with showers. The building was constructed entirely by W.P.A. labor and completed on November 17, 1938.
This picture was taken sometime between 1905-1907
Teacher was Sybil French
Picture dated May 1941
Marilyn White, Joy Carlisle, Barbara Steinbert, Norman Messinger, Junior Abbot, and Phylis Magers
Eldon Huntly, Joan Jording, Lois Abbot, Coleen White, Jessie Phillips, Owen Wurm, and Don Carlson
Picture dated February 1943
Coleen White, Joan Jording, Jessie Phillips, Peggy Kelly, and Owen Wilson
Janet Leitner, Don Carlisle Jeannie Shreiber, Jane Kepler, and Eldon Geistenechloze
Pictures owned by Owen Wilson
Back to School Districts of Decatur County
Home Page of Decatur County
This site was established by Sharleen Wurm and is dedicated to free access to records, documents and photos of historical and genealogical value. Documents contained herein may be copied for personal, non-commercial use as long as this message remains on all copied material. These records, documents and photos may not be reproduced, published or re-published for any reason, in any format, including electronic (web pages or CD's) and print, without prior written consent of the contributors or copyright holders.