District No. 12
Taken in part from
The History of the School Districts of
District 12 was formed January 21, 1880. The first school was held in a one room dugout on the south side of the Beaver Creek. This dugout was the original home of Augustus Townsend. It was used until a new one room frame building was built.
The school house was located on Section 24, Township 1, Range 27. The school was called Star. It had a library and baseball being the main activity. It had swing poles and teeter-totter for recreational activity.
Star School District census of pupils listed in June 1932
Back Row includes: Edgar Pricer, Rob Johnson, Jesse Huff,
Furman Hoover, Clint Huff, Lyle Haskins, Grave Nicholson, Bessie Osborn-teacher,
John Waterman, Ivan Johnson, Manuel Jones, Edgar Huff
Front Row Includes: Thurman Gay, Denzel Jones, Freeman Gay, Doris Jones, Marie Hoover, Erma Nicholson, Lucinda Nicholson, Caroline Wiggins, Gladys Huff, Elsie Gay, Walter Nicholson
Back Row: Howard Vernon, Edith Wiggins, Jesse Wiggins,
Mae Vernon, Caroline Wiggins
Front Row: Denzel Townsend, Irene Powell, Claude Kelley, Rena Townsend, Winifred Wiggins, little Sorek boy, Nola Vernon, Dale Townsend
Back Row: Ursula Wiggins, Viva Townsend, Charlie
Wiggins, Edith Wiggins, Earl A. Townsend, Glenn Waterman-teacher
Front Row: Denzel Townsend, Dale Townsend, Rena Townsend, Jessie Wiggins, Caroline Wiggins, Winifred Wiggins
Back to School Districts of Decatur County
Home Page of Decatur County
This site was established by Sharleen Wurm and is dedicated to free access to records, documents and photos of historical and genealogical value. Documents contained herein may be copied for personal, non-commercial use as long as this message remains on all copied material. These records, documents and photos may not be reproduced, published or re-published for any reason, in any format, including electronic (web pages or CD's) and print, without prior written consent of the contributors or copyright holders.