Oberlin District 1

District No. 1

Oberlin 

Taken in part from 

The History of the School Districts of 
Decatur County, Kansas
1940
compiled and completed
by Katie B. Cornell, July

The first frame school building was built in 1883.  It was a two story building with two rooms on the first floor and one large room on the second floor.  The large room was later divided into two smaller ones.  That year there were 94 students and three teachers.  It consisted of a primary and a higher department.

In 1887-1888 a new brick building was built and at this time a three year high school was started.  This building was two stories with four rooms on the first floor, three rooms on the second, and a heating plant in the basement.  It was located on the upper playground of the present Oberlin Elementary School. The first graduating class was in 1889 with eight students.  Those eight being: May Cameron, Mina King, Pheme Logan, Coe Reynolds, Jennie Robinson, Harley Updegraff, and Artemus Ward.  The second graduating class consisted of two members, Tom Best and Emma McCleery.

In 1906 another brick building was built and was call Decatur County High School Building.  At this time it became a four year institution.   It was located at the present site of the Decatur County Good Samaritan Center.

In 1921 the building became to small so it was doubled by construction of a wing on the old building which included a gymnasium.  In 1923 the legislature passed a law abolishing the County High School and established instead the Community High School.   So at this time it became Decatur Community High School.

In 1937 the school district voted bonds and secured assistance for a modern new high school building located at 605 E. Commercial.  A new addition was added in 1965-1966 including a cafeteria, gymnasium, library and additional classrooms.

For Class Pictures click here

1887-1888

Picture owned by Phil and Sharleen Wurm

Picture owned by Judy Nelson

1906

 

Pictures owned by Phil and Sharleen Wurm

Picture owned by Judy Nelson

Back to School Districts of Decatur County

Home Page of Decatur County

 

2002 Sharleen Wurm  
This site was  established by Sharleen Wurm and is dedicated to free access to records, documents and photos of historical and genealogical value. Documents contained herein may be copied for personal, non-commercial use as long as this message remains on all copied material.   These records, documents and photos may not be reproduced, published or re-published for any reason, in any format,  including electronic (web pages or CD's) and print, without prior written consent of the contributors or copyright holders.