From medieval times it was required that notification of intention to marriage be given on three consecutive Sundays in church (called publishing the banns). But, as an alternative, members of the Church of Ireland could take out a Marriage Licence Bond. The parties lodged an amount of money with the Diocese to indemnify the Church against there being an obstacle to the marriage. This marriage by licence provided privacy, and was faster than the time taken to read the banns. It was considered more prestigious than having the banns read. The bonds themselves were destroyed in the Fires of 1922, but the indexes remain in the National Archives of Ireland. After 1845 marriages were registered by the State, and are available to researchers. This diocese is in Co. Mayo and Co. Sligo.