Drum Civil Parish and the Incidence of the Coffee (Coffey, Coffy) Surname in Griffith's Valuation, County Mayo, Ireland

There were no individuals with the Coffee, Coffey or Coffy Surname documented in Drum Civil Parish when the Griffith's Valuation was conducted in 1857.

Drum Civil Parish falls within Carra Barony and is part of Balla and Manulla Roman Catholic Parish. This Catholic Parish was formed in 1837. (Mitchell, 1988, p. 88). Balla Civil Parish and Manulla Civil Parish were also part of this Catholic Parish. There must have been some shifting at some time between Balla and Manulla Catholic Parish and Mayo Abbey Parish to the southeast because Brian Smith in his book "Tracing Your Mayo Ancestors" refers to the Catholic Parish that includes Balla Civil Parish as Balla, Manulla, Drum and Roslee. The microfilm that covers Balla and Manulla Catholic Parish records is microfilm number 1279209 and 979698. The records in the beginning of item three of film 1279209 are titled "Balla Marriages Union of Balla-Drum, Roslea and Minolla." This would seem to indicate that records from Rosslee might be in this Catholic Parish instead of or in addition to Mayo Abbey Parish. Drum is sometimes referred to as Drummonahan. (Lewis, 1837; 1984, p. 509).

When the Griffith's Valuation was conducted in 1857 for Drum Civil Parish there was a Catholic Chapel in the Townland of Cuillare and a Church of undocumented affiliation in the Townland of Glebe. Graveyards were present in the Townlands of Elmhall and Gweeshadan. (Griffith, 1847-1864; 2003, Drum).

A patent to hold markets and fairs was obtained for the Townland of Dunnamona as early as 1609 by Humphrey Reynolds. Sir James Craig acquired another in 1628. (Gillespie; Crawford, 1987, p. 87). When the Statistical Survey of County Mayo was conducted in 1802, Donamona was listed as having Markets or Fairs for Cattle, and fairs were listed as being held on May 26 and October 18. (McParlan 1802; 2007, p. 46-51).

When the Griffith's Valuation was conducted for Drum Civil Parish in 1857, the Townland of Doonnamona was designated as having a "Fair Green" and a "Tolls and Customs of Fairs." From an economic perspective there wasn't a whole lot documented in this Civil Parish. There were Forges in the Townlands of Cuillare, Curry and Lisrobert, a Corn Mill, Kiln and Constabulary Barracks in the Townland of Drum (Knockatemple) and Herd's Houses in the Townlands of Ballaghfarna, Drum (Knockatemple), Elmhall, Gweeshadan, Kilbrenan, Knockbaun, Knockboy, Knocknaveagh, Lagakilleen, Lisblowick, Loona Beg and Loona More. The large number of Herd's Houses would seem to indicate a fair amount of pasture, grazing area in this Civil Parish.

I didn't see any designated "Bog" parcels noted in the Griffith's Valuation for Drum Civil Parish; however, Samuel Lewis noted, "great tracts of grazing land might be obtained by draining the neighboring bogs, and deepening the channel of the river." (Lewis, 1837; 1984, p. 510).

As far as education goes, there were National Schoolhouses in the Townlands of Ballycarra, Deerpark Upper and Killeen. (Griffith, 1847-1864; 2003, Drum). I haven't read any descriptions of Hedge Schools in this area.

Numerous Landlords were represented in Drum Civil Parish in the Griffith's Valuation, but Capt St. George Cuff and Patrick Crean Lynch were by far the most prevalent with Henry Shaw Jones and Sir Robt Lynch Blosse Bart being the two others most commonly documented. (Griffith, 1847-1864; 2003, Drum).

When Hussey De Burgh compiled his "The Landlords of Ireland" in 1878, Capt St George Cuff was listed as residing at Deel Castle, Balina, County Mayo and in Dublin. He held 3,205 acres in County Mayo. Patrick Crean Lynch's residence was listed as being in Clogher House, Ballyglass, County Sligo. He held 2,337 acres in County Mayo. Henry Shaw Jones was not listed in this resource. This compilation covers landlords in Ireland who owned over 500 acres or land that was valued at over 500 pounds. Sir Robert Lynch Blosse Bt was listed as residing at Athavallie House, Balla. He held 17,555 acres in County Mayo. (De Burgh, 1878; 2007. p. 110, 283, 284).

Drum Civil Parish saw a significant population decline during and after the peak famine years. In 1841 the population was listed at 4,127, dropping to 2,732 in 1851. By the year 1911 there were only 1,635 people living in Drum Civil Parish. (O'Hara, 1982, p. 7).