Bohola Civil Parish Characteristics, County Mayo, Ireland

Bohola Civil Parish falls within Gallen Barony and is part of Bohola Roman Catholic Parish. There were only 25 Townlands when the Griffith's Valuation was conducted between 1856 and 1857, just one Roman Catholic Chapel in the Townland of Toocanangh (the largest Townland) and no Graveyards. Records for this Catholic Parish cover the years 1857-1903 on microfilm numbers 1279230 and 926003. Bohola is sometimes referred to as Bucholla. Bohola Civil Parish is only 6 miles from Foxford, a major County Mayo Market Town in the 19th century.

I couldn't find any patent applications for markets or fairs for any Townlands in Bohola Civil Parish. When the Griffith's Valuation was conducted there was no documented "Fair Greens" or Tolls and Customs of Fairs" in this area. The commercial activity that was documented appears to be spread throughout the Civil Parish. There were orchards in the Townlands of Ardacarha and Barleyhill, a Pound in Carrowntleva and Toocanagh, Lismiraun had a Tuck Mill, Corn Mill and a Kiln, Tooromin had a Farmhouse and Shanaghy had a Forge, Pound and Farmhouse. There were Herd's Houses in the Townlands of Carrowkeel and Lismiraun and a Plantation in the Townland of Rathslevin. (Griffith, 1847-1864; 2003, Bohola).

Designated "Bog" parcels were documented in the Townlands of Altbaun, Ardacarha, Barleyhill, Lisgormin, Toocanagh, Treanfohanaun and "bog pasture" in the Townland of Bohola.

As far as education goes, there was a National Schoolhouse in the Townland of Toocanagh (that is centrally located) and one in Tooromin. According to Samuel Lewis in "A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" there were two "Hedge Schools" as well. (Lewis, 1837; 1984, p. 215).

An assortment of landlords was represented in this Civil Parish with Phillip Taaffe, Colonel F.A. Knox Gore and George H Moore being most frequently noted followed by Myles Jordan, a minor, John McDonnell and Robert Kirkwood among others. The 1802 Statistical Survey of County Mayo lists Myles Jordan as a resident landlord of Rofslevan (a.k.a. Rathslevin). (McParlan, 1802; 2007, p. 104).