Ballinchalla Civil Parish and the Incidence of the Gahagan (Goaghan, Goghan, Gaughan, Geoghegan) in Griffith's Valuation, County Mayo, Ireland

There were no individuals with the Goaghan, Goghan, Gaughan or Geoghegan Surnames in Ballinchalla Civil Parish when the Griffith's Valuation was conducted in 1857.

Ballinchalla Civil Parish falls within two different Baronies, Kilmaine Barony in County Mayo and Ross Barony in County Galway. There were 38 Townland in the Ballinchalla portion that was part of County Mayo and 10 Townlands that were part of Ross Barony in County Galway. Fifteen of the 38 Townlands within County Mayo were named occupied Islands in Lough Mask. Ballinchalla Civil Parish (a.k.a. Ballincholla) is part of Cong and Neal Roman Catholic Parish. Cong Civil Parish (part of which is in County Galway) and Kilmolara Civil Parish are also part of this Catholic Parish. Catholic church records for this parish cover the years 1870-1924, unfortunately a bit on the late side. When the Griffith's Valuation was conducted in 1857, there were no documented churches in Ballinchalla Civil Parish, Catholic or otherwise. There is however, a Roman Catholic Chapel in the Civil Parish of Kilmolara in the Townland of Ballyshingadaun, in theVillage of the Neale that is right next to Ballinchalla Civil Parish. The only Graveyard was noted in the Townland of Ballinchalla.

Sir Thomas Burke applied for and obtained a patent for a market and fair as early as 1612 for Loughmask. (Gillespie; Crawford, 1987, p. 88). The Statistical Survey of County Mayo conducted in 1802 showed a fair being held at Lough-mafk (sic) on September 20. (McParlan, 1802; 2007, p. 50).

There was very little of a commercial nature to speak of in Ballinchalla Civil Parish when the Griffith's Valuation was conducted in 1857. The Townland of Ballyglass had a Forge as did Killour, there was a Corn Mill in Bunnadober, Herd's Houses in the Townlands of Ballyargadaun, Caherloughlin, Cahernichole East and West, Carn and Killour, a Gate House in Caherloughlin and the Board of Works had a Canal in the Townland of Killour. There weren't any designated Fair Greens or Tolls and Customs of Fairs. (Griffith, 1847-1864; 2003, Ballinchalla). Ballinchalla is only 2 miles from Ballinrobe, one of County Mayo's more significant market towns.

Lord Kilmaine, The Earl of Erne and Rev. Richard Cooper were the primary landlords in Ballinchalla Civil Parish distantly followed by the Reverend William Cromie among others. (Griffith, 1847-1864; 2003, Ballinchalla).

The population of Ballinchalla Civil Parish declined during and after the peak famine years but not as much as other Civil Parishes in County Mayo. in 1841 the population was 1,722, dropping to 1,420 by 1851. Keep in mind that the remainder of Ballinchalla Civil Parish that was in Ross Barony, County Galway was transferred to County Mayo in 1898. (O'Hara, 1982, p. 7,9).