Aghamore Civil Parish and the Incidence of the Coffee (Coffey, Coffy) surname in Griffith's Valuation, County Mayo, Ireland

There were no individuals with the Coffee, Coffey or Coffy Surname in Aghamore Civil Parish when the Griffith's Valuation was conducted in 1856.

Aghamore Civil Parish is located in Costello Barony and contained 74 Townlands when the Griffith's Valuation was conducted. The Majority of the Townlands are on the small side with the exception of the following: Annagh, Barnagurry, Caher, Cappagh, Carrownedan, Cartron North, Cloongawnagh-Cosgrave, Crossard, Falleighter, Liscat, Mountaincommon, Scregg and Tooreen. Several towns on the eastern most part of the Civil Parish such as Cummer and Cloongawnagh appear to share a border with County Roscommon.

Aghamore Civil Parish is part of Aghamore Roman Catholic Parish. The records for this Catholic Parish cover the period 1864-1921. The only Roman Catholic Chapel noted in the Griffith's Valuation for this Parish was in the Townland of Killeen and Graveyards were present in the Townlands of Aghamore, Carrownedan and Cloongawnagh (Cosgrave). A Burial Ground was present in the Townland of Boleyboy.

Four fairs were being held in the Townland of Ballinacostello by the late 18th century. (Gillespie; Crawford, 1987, p. 84). When the Statistical Survey of County Mayo was conducted in 1802, Ballinacostello didn't have a market for grain or cattle, but fairs were listed as taking place on June 3, August 9, October 9 and December 16. (McParlan, 1802; 2007, p. 47-51).

When the Griffith's Valuation was conducted in Aghamore Civil Parish, the Townland of Ballinacostello had a "Fair Green," a "Customs of Fairs" as well as a Corn Mill, Kilns and a Forge. From an economic perspective Ballinacostello was the hub of commercial activity for the Parish. The Townland of Aghamore was the location of the Courthouse and the Townland of Tober had a Pound. Aghataharn had a Corn Mill and Kiln, Ballyglass had a Corn Mill, Caher had a Corn Mill, Kiln and Forge, Carn Beg, Coogue South, Coolnaha North, Derynaned all had a Forge. Crossbeg had a Corn Mill and Kiln and the Townland of Rath had a Corn Mill (Gig) and Kiln. Herd's Houses were present in multiple Townlands such as Aghamore, Ballyhine, Boleyboy, Cloonturk, Coolnaha South, Derryool, Kilgariff and Woodfield. This would seem to indicate a fair amount of pasture for grazing. (Griffith, 1847-1864; 2003, Aghamore).

Multiple lakes are scattered throughout Aghamore Civil Parish, there were no Rivers and only one designated "Bog" parcel was documented in the Townland of Corhawnagh. Samuel Lewis in his book "A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" describes "a considerable quantity of bog" in this Civil Parish. (Lewis, 1837; 1984, p. 18).

As far as education goes, the only Schoolhouse in Aghamore Civil Parish was in the Townland of Rath. "A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" describes Aghamore as having seven pay schools. (Lewis, 1837; 1984, p. 18).

A variety of different landlords were represented in the Aghamore Civil Parish Griffith's Valuation, but Viscount Dillon was the most prevalent followed by "The Immediate Lessor", Francis R O' Grady, Mary Jane Olmsby Gore, Annsley Knox and Sir Compton Domville Bart among others.

The population of Aghamore Civil Parish declined like many other Civil Parishes in County Mayo during the famine years and beyond. In 1841 7,675 people lived in this Parish, dropping to 6,097 in 1851. By the year 1911 the population was down to 5,699, not as significant a drop as many other Civil Parishes in County Mayo. (O'Hara, 1982, p. 7).