Mallow Field Club Journal No. 18
& Historical Society
Mallow Field Club Journal
No. 18 - 2000
We present, with great pleasure, Journal 18, our first of the new millennium. With our interest in recording
the history of Mallow and its environs, we try each year to print articles on different subjects and hopefully
cater for people's various interests. We hope you will all find something of particular interest in this volume
and enjoy reading it.
It is said that one of the signs of a civilised people is their taking an interest in their past and studying it.
To plot a people's or a country's future, it is helpful to know where they have come from and what lessons
can be learned from past experience. This can apply as well to a local area as to the whole country, and
with the pace of development today there is more urgency than ever to plan for the future wisely.
Mallow has its own image and identity represented by its people, traditions and built heritage. It is
important that we are all careful and vigilant in ensuring we keep this identity vibrant and safe for those
who come after us. We hope that the Mallow Field Club Journal is contributing positively to this end and
we would encourage anyone who has material, to share it with the wider audience that reads our Journal
in so many parts of the world.
We thank our readers for their continued support and wish everybody well for the coming year.
- Editorial Committee
- Kevin Myers
Rev. Robert Forde
172 pages, 5" X 8", copyright © 2000 by Mallow Field Club
Return to Mallow Archaeological & Historical
- Pigeon Racing in Mallow by Ita Power
- The Mallow Club by Kevin Myers
- The Doneraile Mass Rock by Michael Shine
- Fr. John Sullivan S.J. by Rev. Robert Forde
- One Hundred Years Ago: Excerpts from the Cork Examiner by John Caplice
- The Search for Missing Friends (Volume IV) by Dennis J. Ahern
- Recent Conservation Works at Labbamolaga by Ana Dolan
- Mallow Manor Part III by Seamus Crowley
- Flour Milling at its Peak by A. J. Coughlan
- Mourne Abbey Church by Bill Power
- The Archaeological Survey by Denis Power
- Two Sporting Squires; St. Leger & Wrixon Becher by Brendan O'Regan & Seamus Crowley
- Heatherside Sanitorium & the Fight Against T.B. by Michael Shine
- Photo Album
- Correspondence: a letter from Mr. Walter Verling
- Overseas Members 2000
- Mallow Field Club Activities (Outings and Lectures for 1999-2000)