Mallow Field Club Journal No. 16
& Historical Society
Mallow Field Club Journal
No. 16 - 1998
Welcome to this our sixteenth Journal. We hope you will find items of interest here and will
enjoy reading them. We are always looking for articles on Mallow's past history and we welcome old
photographs. There must be many old photographs lying around, which we would love to publish.
This year is the bi-centenary of the 1798 Rebellion and we have included in this Journal a major article on
the subject, with particular reference to the North Cork Militia.
Mallow continues to expand in all directions with new housing estates and apartments springing up
all around. Returning emigrants must find Mallow almost unrecognizable now.
The Editors thank you for supporting our Journal every year and we look forward to producing many more
in the future.
- Editorial Committee
- Ita Power
Rev. Robert Forde
180 pages, 5" X 8", copyright © 1998 by Mallow Field Club
Return to Mallow Archaeological & Historical
- Pipe Band Music in Mallow by Pipe Major Colm Dwane
(Thomas Davis Pipe Band)
- The Story of Two Monuments (to Thomas Barry and J. J. Fitzgerald) by Michael Magner
- The Search for Missing Friends (Volume I) by Dennis J. Ahern
- Gleanings from Mallow's Past by Rev. R. Forde P.P.
- Mallow Laneways by Jo Kelleher
- The North Cork Militia by Michael Shine
- Patrick White - Educationalist by Rev. R. Forde P.P.
- Correspondence a letter from Mr. Herman Weedle of Ontario
- James Grove White's Memorandum Book by Anna-Maria Hajba
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes by Alfred S. Neary
- Monsignor Thomas Aquinas Quirke by Seamus Crowley & Jim O'Connor
- One Hundred Years Ago (excerpts from The Cork Examiner of 1898) by John Caplice
- The St. Legers and Doneraile by Seamus Crowley
- The Thatched Mansion at Ballysheehan, Mallow by Mary Sleeman, Elizabeth Byrne & Sar'anne Walsh
- Irish Emigration to Argentina by Patricio Geary
- Mallow's Prodigy - Robert Murphy by Noel Barry, Cork Institute of Technology
- Photo Album
- Joint outing of Mallow Field Club and Mitchelstown Heritage Society, Burncourt, July 1998
- Mallow Rugby Club winners of Cork County Cup 1952
- Presentation of Journals to Rev. R. Forde to mark the Golden Jubilee of his ordination
- Celebrating the Eucharistic Congress, Mallow Town Park (1932)
- Field Club Activities (Outings and Lectures for 1997-98)