Castles of Ireland - County Cavan

Ireland's History in Maps
The Castles of Ireland
Ulster Province : County Cavan
Compiled by Lee Johnson
Early Stone Fortifications - Castles, Towers and Strong-Houses
(What, Where, Who and When? -- A work in progress)
Search other Counties, or provide your feedback or contributions through the Index Page.

Castle Name Condition Description Early Founder(s) -- Time Period(s) Contructed Barony Parish/Townland Ord Residency Links
Bailieborough Castle (1) None House and Bawn - "... a vaulted castle, with a bawn 90 feet square, and two flanking towers" 1610 - Grant given to - William Bailie
1641 - Castle attacked and captured by - Irish soldiers (under Colonel Hugh O’Reilly)
1641 - Castle vacated, left to - William Bailie
1666 - Castle inherited by - Hamiltons
1720 - Charter Granted to - James Hamilton
1724 - Castle sold to - Major Charles Stewart
1795 - Castle inherited by - Thomas Charles Stewart Corry
1814 - Castle sold to - Colonel William Young
c1830 - Bawn pulled down to expand house
Clankee Bailieborough/Moybologue, Bailieborough

Samual Lewis (1837) -
Samual Lewis (1837) -
Bailieborough Web site (Town and Castle History) -
Bailieborough Castle (2) None House - 1830-76 - House Rebuilt by - Sir John Young
>1895 - Sold to - Sir Stanley Cochrane
???? - Sold to - Mr. W.L.B. Cochrane
1915 - Sold to - The Marist Brothers
1918 - Destroyed by Fire
Clankee Bailieborough/Moybologue, Bailieborough

Samual Lewis (1837) -
Samual Lewis (1837) -
Bailieborough Web site (Town and Castle History) -
Bailieborough Castle (3) None House - 1920 - House partialy rebuilt by - The Marist Brothers
c1923 - Sold for Demolition -
Clankee Bailieborough/Moybologue, Bailieborough

Bailieborough Web site (Town and Castle History) -
Ballyconnell Castle None Castle - "… a strong bawn 100 feet square and 12 feet high, with two flanking towers and a strong castle, three stories high, the whole occupying a site well adapted for the defence of the surrounding county." ???? - Built by - Capt. Culme and Walter Talbot (in the time of Jas. I)
<1764 - Destroyed by fire
Tullyhaw Tomregan,Ballyconnell

Samual Lewis (1837) --
Ballymagauran Castle (Lissanover Castle, Lios-an-uabhair, "the fort of Pride") Ruin Tower-House - "It was originally a tower of two stories…" ???? - built by Felim Magauran [MacGovern/McGovern]
c1650 - Destroyed by - Oliver Cromwell
Tullyhaw Templeport, Lissanover

Samual Lewis (1837) --
Irish Customs and Cultures --
Clan McGovern Network --
Belturbet Castle (Caislen Tairbeirt, Turbet Island Castle) None Motte and Baily Castle - C16th - Built by - Hugh Connallach O'Reilly Lower Loughtee Belturbet, Turbet Island H 3617 Nature Park Samual Lewis (1837) --
Erne Heritage Tours --
The Good Castle Guide --
Brogan's Castle Not Found Castle - "… ancient Cavan contained another which tradition remembers to have been called "Brogan's Castle"
Upper Loughtee Cavan, Cavan

Al Beagan's "Genealogy Notes"--
Castle Aubigny
Castle - "At a commission held in Castle Aubigny (Shercock) in 1629 to enquire into the progress being made by Bailie and the other grantees..." ???? - Grant given to - Esme Stuart, Lord Aubigny Clankee Shercock, Shercock

Bailieborough Web site -
TRAYNOR'S Web Page: Ulster Plantation --
Castle Cavan (Walter Bradie's Castle) None Stone House [Possibly Tower-House] - 1610 - Charter granted - Walter Bradie (erected by Garrett Fleming) Upper Loughtee Cavan, Cavan

Samuel Lewis (1837) --
Al Beagan's "Genealogy Notes"--
Castle Cosby (Castle Corby)
Castle - 1837 - Residence of - J. Whit-thorne, Esq.
1849 - Residence of - John E. Vernon
Clanmahon Kilmore, Crossdoney

Samuel Lewis (1837) --
Caufield Home Page --
Anglo-Celt (Cavan, county Cavan March 2, 1849) --
Castle Hamilton (1) (Keelagh, Killagh, Killaugh Castle) Partial Castle - "The castle was four storeys with flankers and turrets for defense. It had a bawn 60 feet square surrounded by a wall 12 feet in height." 1610 - Grant given to - 'Sir Alexander Hamilton
???? - Residence of - Sir Francis Hamilton
1642 - Castle falls to - O'Reilly's
???? - Residence of - R. H. Southwell
1856 - Castle purchased by - James Hamilton
1911 - Castle burned by accidental fire
???? - Remains of Castle purchased by - Alan Kells
Tullyhunco Killeshandra/Killesandra,
Private Killshandra History --
Rick O'Reilly Web Site --
History of the Hamiltons of Castl Hamilton --
Castle Hamilton (2) Full Mansion House - "The big house that replaced the estate house that was burned in the fire is now owned by Joseph Fletcher" >1911 - Mansion House in possession of - Joseph Fletcher Tullyhunco Killeshandra/Killesandra,
Private History of the Hamiltons of Castl Hamilton --
Castle Saunderson Partial Castle - 1573 - Built by - Saunderson family
1977 - Castle sold
1990 - Castle sold to become a hotel
>1990 - Castle damaged by Fire
1997 - Castle and Estate sold to - Scouting Ireland
Lower Loughtee Annagh/Belturbet, Belturbet

Samuel Lewis (1837) --
Samuel Lewis (1837) --
The Ireland Funds: The Castle Saunderson Project --
Castlerahan (Castleraghan, Castle of Rathain O' Raghallaigh, Caisleán Ráthain "Castle of the little rath. ") None Castle - "… the old castle of Rathain O' Raghallaigh which stood in what is now called the Moat in the heart of Castlerahan."
Castlerahan Castlerahan,

Cavan Clubs -
Cloughoughter Castle (Cloughtouthter) Ruin Round Tower-House - "The construction of the castle, in fact a circular tower house." "… it had loops but no entrance on the ground floor, three doorways and at least two windows at first-floor level and possibly a curtain wall on the west side." C13th - Built by - William Gorm de Lacy
C13th - Taken and added to by - O'Reilly
1607 - Castle Captured by - Sir Richard Wingfield
1607 - Castle Given to - Captain Hugh Culm
1641 - Castle Captured, used as prison by - O'Reilly
1653 - Castle taken by - Cromwell
1653 - Gunpowder used to "dismantle" Castle
De Lacy, O'Reilly -- 13th century round keep
Upper Loughtee Kilmore, Killekeen lake/Lough Oughter H3405 National Monument Irelands Eyes: Cloughoughter Castle, County Cavan --
The Good Castle Guide --
Triskelle Tourism: Killykeen Forest Park --
Ireland Now: Ruined Castles (Picture and History) --
Cormey Castle (1) (Cormee Castle, Fleming's Castle) Ruins Castle - "This land which contained an old round tower castle, called Cormey Castle. The main building was in ruins - destroyed during the Cromwellian War." ???? - Lands belonging to - O'Reilly Family
1607 - Castle Built by - Gerard Fleming
c1650 - Castle Destroyed
???? - Grant given to - Colonel Thomas Cooch
1699 - Castle inherited by - Mervyn Pratt
Clankee Enniskeen, Kingscourt

Samual Lewis (1837) --
Samual Lewis (1837) --
Cabra Castle Web Site (history) --
Cor Na Greine Tourist Attractions --
Cormey Castle (2) (Cormee Castle, Cabra Castle ) Full* Castle - "… a superb baronial castellated mansion in the Norman style. of architecture 1808 - Appointed trustee of castle estate - Mr Henry Foster
???? - Cormey Castle "Rebuilt" by - Mr Henry Foster
1810 - Estate Taken over by - Mr. Augustus Foster
1813 - Castle sold to -Colonel Joseph Pratt
c1820 - Castle name changed to Cabra Castle
c1950 - Castle inherited by - Mervyn Sheppard
1964 - Castle Purchased by - Brenan Family
>1964 - Castle Renovated and Converted to a Hotel
1986 - Castle Purchased for private residence - Arab Group
1991 - Castle Purchased by - Corscadden family
>1991 - Castle Re-opened as Hotel
Clankee Enniskeen, Kingscourt
Hotel Samual Lewis (1837) -
Samual Lewis (1837) -
Cabra Castle Web Site (Picture and history) --
Coroneary Castle
Castle - "... Anne, who married James Hamilton, third son of John Hamilton of Coroneary Castle, …" ???? - Residence of - John Hamilton Knockbride Clankee Knockbride, Coroneary

Bailieborough Web site -
Croghan Castle (Castlecraig) None Castle - "It was 35 feet in height and surrounded by a wall 240 feet in circumference. ... The faint traces of both these castles are still discernible." 1610 - Grant given to - Auchmothy brothers
1610 - Land sold to - Sir James Craige
1642 - Castle falls to - O'Reilly's
Tullyhunco Kildallon, Croghan

Killeshandra History --
Carrigallan Online --
O'Reilly Family History --
History of the Hamiltons of Castl Hamilton --
Rick O'Reilly Web Site --
Crover castle Partial Tower-House - c1393 - Built by - Thomas O'Reilly Clanmahon Ballymachugh, Crover

Samuel Lewis (1837) --
O'Reilly Family History --
UK & Ireland Geneology: Ballymachugh --
Danish rath (1)
Castlerahan Castlerahan, Ballyjamesduff

Samuel Lewis (1837) --
Danish rath (2)
Castlerahan Castlerahan, Ballyjamesduff

Samuel Lewis (1837) --
Derryragh or Darragh fort ("altar of the oaks") Ruins Hill Fort -
Tullyhaw Templeport, hill of Darragh

Irish Culture and Customs --
Cavan Tourism: The Archaeology of West Cavan --
Townlands of Aughavas --
Drumlane Church Round Tower Ruins Round Tower - "The oldest building on the site is a round Tower with round-headed door way and windows. On the north face, about six feet above the ground, are much weathered carvings of birds..." C13th - Founder - St. Mogue Lower Loughtee Drumlane, Drumlane H340122 National Monument The Good Castle Guide --
Hibernia (Pictures) --
BMW Club: Photo Rally 2005 --
County Cavan - Heritage/Historical --
Al Beagan's "Genealogy Notes"--
Fort Frederick
Plantation House - "...the improvements of Fort-George the residence of the rector of the parish, and also with the plantations of Fort-Frederick…"
Castlerahan Castlerahan,

Samuel Lewis (1837) --
Anglo-Celt (1850) --
Fort George
Plantation House - "...the improvements of Fort-George the residence of the rector of the parish, and also with the plantations of Fort-Frederick…"
Castlerahan Castlerahan, Bally James Duff

Anglo-Celt (1850) --
Fort William
Rath -
Tullygarvey Drung, Drung

Samuel Lewis (1837) --
Killykeen Forest Park ( Killeshandra Rath, "Church of the Old Fort")
Church and Ring Fort - "This church was sited on an old semi-circular 'rath' or fort overlooking the lake that is now-a-days known as the Town Lake."
Tullyhunco Killeshandra/Killesandra, Killeshandra

County Cavan - Heritage/Historical --
Killishandra History -
Kilmore Castle Full Motte and Bailly - "Walter de Lacy constructed the motte and bailey in 1211 as part of a chain to control and contain the north for the Normans. Cathal O’Reilly dismantled the fort in 1224. It was rebuilt and today there remains an excellent example of a motte and bailey." C13th - Castle Built by - Walter de Lacy
1224 - Dismantled by - Cathal O’Reilly
???? - Rebuilt for Heritage
Upper Loughtee Kilmore, Kilmore H 3804
The Annales of Ulster and Loch Ce -
Cavan Towm Local Attractions --
The Good Castle Guide --
CHIPTIN.COM: Evolution of Irish Surnames --
Moneygashel Ring Fort Ruins Ring Fort - "The fort at Moneygashel consists of a circular stone wall, in places up to three metres thick. There are even two small staircases built into it."
Tullyhaw Killinagh, Moneygashel H058340
Irish Culture and Customs --
Megalithic Portal --
Cavan Tourism: The Archaeology of West Cavan --
Muff Castle (Castle-Gearroid, Garrett's Castle, Castle of Clanchye) Ruins Castle - 1608 - Grant given to - Garrett Fleming Clankee Enniskeen, Muff

Samuel Lewis (1837) --
Al Beagan's "Genealogy Notes"--
Irish Identity: The fair of Muff --
Mullach Castle None Castle - "The site of the castle on the western side of the lake is now occupied by the cottage of Mrs. Finlay" ???? - Erected by - Conor More O'Reilly
c1650 - Castle destroyed by - Cromwell
Castlerahan Mullagh, Mullagh

Samuel Lewis (1837) --
Al Beagan's "Genealogy Notes"--
Tomregan Round Tower None Round Tower - "Nothing remains of the monastery except the base of a round tower" C7th - Founded by - St Bricin Tullyhaw Tomregan, Ballyconnell

Cavan Tourism: Churches and Abbeys --
Tully Mongain Fort (Gallow's Hill, Castle Hill Fort) None Danish Fort - "there is a tradition that a castle stood within the circle of the fort. It is now called the Gallow's Hill but was anciently called Castle Hill."
Upper Loughtee Urney, Tullymongan

Al Beagan's "Genealogy Notes"--
Tullymongen castle (Tully Mongan, Tulach Mongain, Bally-Reilly Castle, "Castle of the Cavan", O'Reilly's castle) None Castle - "Aurelies (O'Reillys) castell on the hill over the Cavan." C13th - Castle built by - O'Reilly Family
1468 - Castle Burned by - English (under the Lord-Deputy Tiptoft, Earl of Worcester)
1487 - Residence of - O'Reilly Family
Upper Loughtee Cavan town

Samuel Lewis (1837) --
Cavan Tourism: Places, Village of Cavan --
Ireland for Visitors: Cavan, County of Contrasts --
The Name Tully --
Al Beagan's "Genealogy Notes"--

35 -- Entries Listed
(Last Updated 1/23/06)

Go to another County
Antrim Armagh Carlow Cavan Clare Cork Derry Donegal
Down Dublin Fermanagh Galway Kerry Kildare Kilkenny Laois
Leitrim Limerick Longford Louth Mayo Meath Monaghan Offaly
Roscommon Sligo Tipperary Tyrone Waterford Wicklow Westmeath Wexford

Ireland's History in Maps Home Page
            Contact Information                        

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor, since February 2007