Early Purcell (Porcel) Family History in Kilkenny
County Kilkenny Ireland History
The Purcell Family
Early Documented History
The early Purcels of Co. Kilkenny
Extracts from Knights' Fees in Counties Wexford, Carlow and Kilkenny, Eric St. John Brooks, 1950.
It would appear from the 1247 feodary [see note at bottom of this article] that Walter Porcel, or Purcell, had an early enfeoffment in the County Kilkenny at Killeynan (Kilmenan in the barony of Fassidinin), which he held at 1/4 of a knight's fee. The feodary records Killeynan, late of Walter Purcell, in the hands of Geoffrey de Fraxino (de la Freyne) about the year 1247. Rev. Carrigan has no record of this place in the possession of either the Purcells or Freynes. But there can be no doubt of its identity, for the St. Legers were in possession of Attanagh from the beginning of the settlement in co. Kilkenny, and William Marshal I confirmed before 1205 William de St. Leger's grants to St. Thomas's Abbey, Dublin of lands in Stanach (recte Attanagh) and a carucate in the wood, namely, between the great river and the land of Walter Porcel [Regr. St. Thomas's, 137, 356]. Here the great river is the Nore and the land of Walter Porcel must be Kilkmenan, which is bounded by Attanagh on the north and the Nore on the west.
Walter Purcell was one of the Earl Marshal's men, who is mentioned in the life of William Marshal I [Histoire de Guillaume le Marechal, line 13507, note, etc.] and who witnesses some of the Marshal's charters, including those of Kilkenny [Liber Primus Kilk., p. 74] and Tintern [Chart. Priv., p. 80] between 1207 and 1211. Between 1199 and 1204 he witnessed William de St. Leger's grant of Attanagh and other places to St. Thomas's [Regr. St. Thomas's, 355]. Between 1202 and 1218 he witnessed a grant by Simon Devereux of the church of Donaghmore, barony of Fassidinin [Ibid., 135]. He was seneschal of Leinster in 1219 [Cal. Doc. Ire., i. 873], and c. 1223 witnessed charters of William Marshal II to St. John's, Kilkenny [Sloane MS. 4787, f. 8 British Museum] and to Moone [Cal. Just. Rolls, i. 369]. He was father of Hugh Purcell, Baron of Loughmoe, co. Tipperary.
Before 1229 Walter Purcell and Hugh his son witnessed a grant in 'Dunhod' in Ossory [Ormond Deeds, i. 282]. Dunhod is equated to Donghamore, parish of St. Patrick's, by Carrigan. Walter and Hugh Purcell, knights, witnessed also in 1229-30 a grant of land which William de St. Leger had made to St. Thomas's Abbey [Regr. St. Thomas's, 141]. Walter Purcell therefore held Kilmenan before 1205, was father of Hugh, Baron of Loughmoe, and was alive in 1229-30.
Kilmenan, however, did not descend in the line of Hugh, Baron of Loughmoe. In 1247 this fee, 'late of Walter Purcell,' is found in the possession of Geoffrey de Fraxino (de la Freyne), and as Geoffrey's wife was Mabel Purcell, it seems likely that Mabel was Walter's daughter and received Kilmenan from her father as a marriage portion. Alternatively, she may have been daughter of Walter by the heiress of Kilmenan, Hugh being a son by another wife. It appears this Geoffrey de la Fraxin[eto] (de al Freyne) also held 1/2 of a knight's fee at Cumesethy (perhaps Foulksrath, parish of Coolcraheen, barony of Fassadinin) in the 1247 feodary.
At a date circa 1216-31 G. de Fresnes and Mabilia Purcel, presumably husband and wife, recognized the right of St. Thomas's in all ecclesiastical benefices in all their tenements of Corbali and Lenmydune next Kilmecare [Regr. St. Thomas's, 232]. Here Kilmecare is Kilmacar, which lies to the north-east of Kilmenan. The later de la Freyne descent at Kilmenan is discussed further in the article about the Freyne family.
In 1362 Maurice Purcell was a witness of a grant by another Geoffrey de la Freigne, who granted the manor of Kilmanan to another de la Freigne. It has been shown under the de la Freyne descent at Kilmenan [above] that a Maurice Purcell was married to Katherine de Fraxineto about this time. Katherine de Fraxineto may have been a sister of this Geoffrey de la Freigne, for it was Geoffrey who granted to Thomas FitzMaurice Purcell, in 1395, all the lands which he (Geoffrey) held in Drumhirthir, with the woods of Clonmore and Kilbeg [Carrigan, iii. 467, quoting Cal. Pat. and Close Rolls Ireland, Hy. VIII-Eliz., p. 114, enrolling a conveyance dated February, 19 Rd. II (1395)]. Thomas FitzMaurice Purcell had also inherited the manor of Fennel (in the barony of Gowran) prior to this [Ormond Deeds, i. 798]. Henceforth Drumhirthir descended in the line of the Purcells of Fennell and Ballyfoyle. It seems likely that Coolcraheen, including Foulksrath, was also given to this Thomas FitzMaurice Purcell. It too descended to the Purcells, but the descent was different, and it is probable that the Purcells of Ballyfoyle enfeoffed a younger son. The Purcells of Coolcraheen are said to be a branch of those of Ballyfoyle [Carrigan, ii. 197]. A Richard Purcell, not the head of the Ballyfoyle family, presented to the church of Coolcraheen before 1481 [Ormond Deeds, iii. 279], and from him the Purcells of Foulksrath are descended.
Another early enfeoffment of the Purcells in Kilkenny was at Aghnyrl, later known as Urlingford. A Hugh Purcel held the 1/4 of a knight's fee at Achenirke (aka Aghnyrle) at or about the time of the 1247 feodary. This Hugh of 1247 is difficult to place. He cannot be the baron of Loughmoe of that date, for the descent of Urlingford was different from that of Loughmoe. Graves and Prim [History of St. Canice's Kilkenny, p. 263] considered that the Kilkenny Purcells were descended from Walter Purcell, Baron of Obargy (co. Leix and parts of co. Carlow) whom they believed a brother of Hugh of Loughmoe. But, on the score of dates, it seems more likely that Hugh, who held Urlingford in 1247 about the time when Walter of Obargy was married, is to be considered, like Walter, a possible younger son of Hugh of Loughmoe.
In the 1317 feodary the 1/4 fee at Aghnyrl (Urlingford) was held by Philip Purcel. Nothing is known of him. He is possibly the Philip Purcell of Ireland who married Ela de Odingsells, heiress of Solihill in Warwickshire, England, the manor and advowson of which Philip Purcel and Ela his wife parted with in 1320 to John de Hotham, Bishop of Ely, who had bought the Despenser share of the de Clare inheritance in co. Kilkenny. The quitclaim was made for Philip Purcel and Ela his wife and the heirs of Ela [Chanc. Misc. P.R.O., London, 10/18].
In 1356 John, son of Sir William Druhull, knight, released and quitted claim for himself and his heirs to Maurice son of Walter Purcel and his heirs to all his right in 40s. 3d. in rent in Aghnirle which the grantor had been wont to receive from his burgesses there [Ormond Deeds, ii. 41]. This deed might perhaps be taken as determining the branch of the Purcells which held the 1/4 fee in Urlingford. But there are difficulties in linking the Purcells who held Urlingford with the Purcells of Fennell to whom this Maurice son of Walter Purcel belonged, and moreover the deed does not prove that this Maurice actually held the Urlingford fee. It may be only coincidence that finds him interested in Urlingford. But it is likely the two families were closely related and possible that they were the same. The first known Purcell of Fennell is Simon who between 1303 and 1306 held the advowson of the church [Cal. Liber Ruber Ossor., 19e.]. Fennell was not held directly of the Marshals, but of the Butler Barony of Gowran. In 1306 Simon Purcel held 1 fee in Fynel as of that Barony [Red Book of Ormond, p. 37]. Canon Carrigan thought that he was probably the sub-sheriff of co. Kilkenny who was slain by the O'Brennans in 1327. That might be so, or he may be the Simon son of Walter Purcel who in 1347 granted to Maurice son of Walter Purcel the advowson of the church of Fynel [Ormond Deeds, i. 798]. It is possible that Philip Purcel who held the 1/4 fee in Urlingford in 1317 and later (the 2nd version of the feodary is somewhat later) could also have held Fennell between the Simon of 1306 and the Simon son of Walter of 1347; but, remembering that the first Simon apparently lived on to 1327 this solution is unlikely. But we may assume the Purcells of Fennell were a younger branch of those of Urlingford, descended from the Hugh who held Urlingford in 1247.
Philip Purcel, who in 1317 held the 1/4 fee in Urlingford, held at the same date 1/4 fee in Ballygauenan (Ballygennan, perhaps in the parish of Aghaboe, co. Leix). Canon Carrigan identifies the latter with Ballygeehin in Aghaboe, and coming in the feodary among the fees in co. Leix, this identification very probable. But no other record of Purcells here has been found. In the 16th century and later Ballygeuenan is found in the possession of the FitzPatricks of Upper Ossory, granted it with other places to Thomas Butler, Earl of Ormond, in 1571 [Ormond Deeds, v. 183]. Philip Purcel who held the Ballygauenan fee in 1317 also held the Urlingford fee, for the fee follows Urlingford in the feodary, where he is described as 'the same Philip'.
The 1247 feodary (The de Valence Purparty) was taken from "Chancery Miscellanea", P.R.O., London (File 88/4, no. 70), collated with a list in the Calendar Patent Rolls.
The 1317 feodary (share of Hugh le Despenser and Alianora his wife) was taken from "Chancery Miscellanea", P.R.O., London (File 9/24). Variants of this records (possibly of a later date) are from the British Museum, Additional Manuscripts MS. 4791.
Source: extracts from the book Knights' Fees in Counties Wexford, Carlow and Kilkenny, Irish Manuscripts Commission, with commentary by Eric St. John Brooks, Dublin Stationery Office, 1950.
The Purcells of Ballyfoyle
Rev. Carrigan's History of the Diocese of Ossory" published in 1905 describes The Purcells of Ballyfoyle in Volume III, pp. 466-468.
The De le Frenes, or Freneys, were the old Anglo-Norman lords of Ballyfoyle and of many another townland in this quarter of Kilkenny (Catholic parish of Muckalee). In 1339, Sir Fulk fitz Fulk de la Frene sued the Prior of St. John's Abbey, Kilkenny, for the advowson of the church of Drumhyrthyr, i.e. Kilmodum; which shows that at the time he (de la Frene) was the lay lord of Kilmodum parish. The advowson of the church of Coolcragheen parish, too, was numbered among the De le Frene temporal possessions. It is worthy to remark that the curious De la Frene Christian name, Fulk, or Fulco, still survives in the nomenclature of both the foregoing parishes; for we have Cloghfook, i.e. Fulk's stone, or stone building, or castle, in the parish of Kilmodum; and Foulksrath, i.e. Fulk's Rath, in the parish of Coolcragheen.
In 1382, Sir Robert de la Frene was seised of the manors of Dunmore and Lesterlyng, and of all the messuages, tenements, &c. in Mercersrath, Hopkynessullond, Inchekylle, McCully (Muckalee), Adynesgrage, two parts of the manor of Claragh, and one messuage, and one carucate of land in Oghtrath. Patrick fitzFulk de la Frene was seised of the manors, messuages, rents, tenements, and all rights in "le Grage (now Gragara) in the parish of Mayne, Castldogh, Brekelyeston, and in the whole parish of Donmoyr (Dunmore)"; and on the 12th June, 1452, he disposed of all these lands to Edmund Mac Richard Butler, ancestor of the present Marquis of Ormond. Freneystown, in the parish of Claragh, also, no doubt, belonged to the De la Freynes in former times.
Thomas fitz Maurice Purcell is the first of his name to be found having any connection with Ballyfoyle. He must be presumed to be descended from Sir Hugh Purcell, who came to Ireland with Strongbow, in 1170, and was soon after "slaine by the Waterfordians," leaving two sons, (a) Sir Walter, ancestor of the Loughmoe family, and (b) Sir Hugh, junr. We must also presume him (Thomas) to be descended from Simon Purcell, Sheriff of the Co. Kilkenny, who was slain by the O'Brenans, on Trinity Sunday, 1327, inasmuch as the parish of ffynel, of which, in the beginning of the 14th century, the said Simon Purcell had the advowson, and was, therefore its lay lord, is found in possession of the Purcells of Ballyfoyle, in the beginning of the 17th century.
On the 2nd July, 1396, Thomas fitz Maurice Purcell received a grant from Geoffry fitz Roger de la Frene, of all the lands which he (Geoffry) had held up to that time in Drumhirthir (i.e. in the whole civil parish of Drumhirthir, otherwise Kilmodum, including Ballyfoyle), with the woods of Clonmore and Killbeg. In 1404 he was in possession of the lands of Ballingall (Gaulstown), Loghton, Cloghranicke (Clogharinka) and Ballilanan; and on the 28th of Feb., same year, he enfeoffed of the said premises, for purposes of conveyance, John Comyn, chaplain, who re-granted same to him and his wife, Catherine Grace, for their lives, remainder to Walter fitz Roger Purcell, James fitz Henry Purcell, Thomas, Phillip, and John fitz Roger Purcell, William fitzThomas Purcell, and John fitzFulco Purcell, in tail made. He was still living in Oct. 1417, when he executed a deed of conveyance to Wlater, son of Roger Purcell, of "all such lands as he hath of the gift of Geoffry de la Freigne, in Crumhyrthyr, with the woods of Clonmore and Kilbeg: to hold of the chief lord of the fee." After this there is no reference to the Purcells of Ballyfoyle, for more than a century.
Patrick Purcell, of Ballyfoyle, with most of the freeholders of the Co. Kilkenny, was presented by the Jury "of the Commyners of the Towne of Kylkenny," in 1537, for charging coyne and livery. He appears as "Patrick Porsell," in a document of 1526, published in Graves and Prim's History of St. Canice's Cathedral [p.281 n.], and as "Patryce Porcelle of Ballyffoyll," in a document of June 26th, 1543, published in the Fourteenth Report, Historical MSS. Commission, Appendix, Part VII., p.3. He was still living in 1545 [Lodge's Repertory of the Records of the Rolls, Vol. I., p.86], after which he appears no more. Edmund Purcell of Balefoyle, horseman, received a pardon Feb. 12th, 1548-9.
Geoffry Purcell was lord of Ballyfoyle about 1560, when his lands "houlden of the Mannor of Gawran" were valued at 100 marks, or £66 13s. 4d. He received a pardon, in 1566; he was again pardoned, Dec. 28th, 1571, but only on the payment of a fine of £10. On the 4th Feb., 1577-8, Nicholas Fanning, of Claraghevryckyn, Co. Kilkenny, horsekeeper, was pardoned after conviction, for having, with Peter Purcell of the same place, horsekeeper, stolen three cows, worth 20s. each, from Geoffry Purcell, of Ballefouill, same County, gent. [Fiants of Eliz., 3186]. Geoffry Purcell died soon after.
Philip Purcell succeeded to the ancestral estates previous to Sept. 30th, 1586, at which date he enfeoffed Thomas Purcell fitz Richard, and Walter Archer, of New Ross, of certain lands [Inquis. Civitat, Kilkenny]. In 1596, his residence at Ballyfoyle is mentioned in a list of principal residences in the co. Kilkenny. He received a pardon, Aug. 6th, 1601, but was dead before January 9th, 1605-6. By his wife Elizabeth Cantwell, otherwise Tobin, who was still living in 1625, he had a son and heir, Edmund.
Edmund Purcell met his death, Aug.16th, 1625, under tragic circumstances, the following traditional account of which the writer has been familiar with from childhood. He happened to be riding home from Kilkenny City, in the company of his neighbor, the lord of Kilmodimogue castle, when a heated discussion arose between them. The dispute continued till they reached the "gullet," at the northern base of Knuckthenoo hill, where the road to Kilmodimogue branches off from that to Ballyfoyle. Here the disputants drew rein to have a last few angry words ere they parted. Thier horse, in the meantime, taking advantage of the stand-still, eagerly bent down to drink of the brook which passed beneath their feet. To give his horse free rein, Edmund Purcell leaned forward in his saddle, in such a way as to lay bare the back of his neck, between the helmet and the coat of mail, which he had on. Seeing this the lord of Kilmodimogue, whose horse was a little to the rere of the other, suddenly drew his sword, and striking Edmund Purcell therewith on the bare neck, with one blow severed his head from his body.
Thus local tradition handed down in Ballyfoyle from generation to generation for well nigh 300 years. With what accuracy it has been preserved the main facts of the case, may be gathered from a "pardon" granted by the King to Sir Edmund Blanchville, the lord of Kilmodimogue, and his brother, Leonard Blanchville, for their part in this deed of blood, is recorded in Pat. 5 Chas. I., pt. VI., 20 dors.
Edmund Purcell is buried, not improbably, under the great, though much broken, Purcell tomb, in the choir of St. John's Priory, Kilkenny. In St. Patrick's churchyard, Kilkenny, there formerly stood a cross, (which Mr. Prim calls " a wayside cross"), erected to his memory by his widow, Margaret Purcell otherwise Cantwell, or by his son, Philip Purcell. The cross itself is now missing, but the inscribed base still occupies was was, apparently, its original position.
Based on Inquisitions, taken from Inquis. Lageniae, within two months of Edmund Purcell's death, dated Oct. 11th, 1625 and Oct. 10th, 1625, respectively, it can be seen that the Purcell property took in the greater part of the present parish of Muckalee. Hence the parish was formerly known as Pubble-a-Pursheeala, or Purcell's Parish.
Philip Purcell, the son of Edmund Purcell and Margaret Cantwell, succeeded to the family estates, on the death of his father in 1625. Being then a minor, his wardship and marriage were granted by the Crown to William Shee, on the 6th July, 1626. He had livery of his father's possessions, on his coming of age, Nov. 29th, 1628. On the 12th May, 1638, he had a grant, in virtue of the Commission of the Remedy of Defective Titles, and for a fine of £10, "of the manor, castle, towns and lands of Droum Irhen, Ballyfoyle, Glanballyfoyle, Ballyneale, Kilmodome, Cloghfoulke, Gallestowne alias Ballyniggawle, Cloghranicke, Bealanigglinogigh, Kilfoulke and Clonemore, Kilbegg, Culecullinduffe, Clonfee alias Clonse, Dromroe, Mounebanny, Bealaniglackenmorie, Rinechesigh [elsewhere written Rinechreesagh] and Derryanlaghan. The manor, towns and lands of Muckilly alias Muckully, Williamstowne, Ballylonane, and Newtowne. In the Baronies of Gowran and Fassaghdeny, Co. of Kilkenny. Rent £4. Created the Manor of Drwm-Irhen, or Drom-Irhen, with power to hold courts Baron and Leet, to impark 100 acres, with free warren and park and to enjoy all waifes and strayes."
License was granted to him, to (his mother) Margaret Purcell, alias Cantwell, widow, to Pierce Den, gent., and Ellen Den alias Purcell, widow, on the 7th March, 1639, to convey to Henry Archer, gent., the manor, town and lands of Muckully, whereof Williamstowne, Ballylonan and Kncokballyneale are parcels; also Kilmodrum alias Kilmodum.
He took an active part in the proceedings of the Confederate Catholics in 1642 and following years; sat in the General Assembly in 1644; and signed the Oath of Asscoiation in 1646. On the success of the Cromwellian arms, his estate was confiscated; and, on the 26th Dec., 1653, he himself was transplanted to Connaught with 120 other persons, consisting of his family and dependants.
After the Restoration he endeavoured to regain possession of the estate, and was so far successful that a special order was made, April 18th, 1661, directing that he should be repossessed. But to execute the order was not such an easy matter, for "he was prosecuted," says Carte [Carte's Life of Ormond]. "by the soldiers to whom the estate had been set out for some murders, which, it was pretended, he had committed during the Rebellion. When his case came before the Court of Claims, he was acquitted of murder, but they proved his living in the Rebel's quarters and paying them contributions, with other matters, which brought him under the Act of Settlement. His estate of between £400 and £500 a year was hereupon adjudged to the soldiers; only about £50 a year mountain land, not having been set out to adventurer or soldier, fell to the Duke of Ormond, of whom it was held. This tract of "mountain land" consisted of the townland of Coolecullenduffe, containing 1,364 acres.
In the act of Explanation, Philip Purcell of Ballyfoyle, in the County Kilkenny, Esq., was one of the 54 "Nominess" or persons named in the 148th section of the act, to be restored to their principal seats and 2,000 acres adjoining, or if not seised of 2,000 acres, to so much as they were seised of contiguous to their seats.
By his will dated from Cantwell's Court, the residence of his son-in-law, Captain John Powell, August 2nd, 1662, and proved Feb. 27th, 1665-6, he left his son and heir, Edward Purcell, all his manors, castles, houses and lands, viz., Ballyfoyle, Glanballyfoyle, Droome Irrin, Cloughfooke, Coolcullenduffe and Lackenmoore, formerly held by his (testator's) father, Edmund Purcell, and situated in the baronies of Fassadinin and Gowran; he left a bequest of £500, chargeable on his estate, to each of his daughters, Margaret, Frances and Ellenor; he appointed his son-in-law, John Powell, of Cantwell's Court, and Mr. Christopher Davis, overseers of his will, and his son, Edward Purcell, executor.
He (Philip) married Ellen Butler, daughter of Richard, 3rd Viscount Mountgarret, and grand-daughter of Hugh O'Neill, Earl of Tyrone, and by her had issue, viz.: Edward, his succesor; ---, another son, killed in the wars; Margaret; Frances; Ellenor, wife of Captain John Powell, of Cantwell's Court, who appears to have been a Cromwellian.
Edward Purcell, only surviving son of Philip, was the last male of the Ballyfoyle family. "By their certificate dated Dec. 30th, 1668, the Commissioners adjudged that he and his heirs were, by the Act of Settlement, rightfully entitled to, and should enjoy, amongst others, the town and lands of Cloughfooke, in the Barony of Gworan, containing 360 acres, and part of Cloghrank, in the Barony of Fassaghdineen, containing 496 acres, and in all 2,000 acres of the estate, plantation measure, equivalent to 3,239 acres, 2 roods, 37 perches, statute, at a quit rent of £40 9s. 10d., which was afterwards abated by patent dated 15th June, 1679, to £33 3s. 3 and 3/4d. Edward Purcell, however, was not satisfied to take whatever he could get. The disasters of the family appear to have driven him to drink, which only made matters worse, He claimed the entire estate, and would frequently come to the house or castle of Ballyfoyle, with a party of men armed with swords and pistols, to take possession of it, breaking down the doors in a violent manner. On these occasions the fury of his passion made him vent seditious words against the King, abuse Mrs. Cramer with scurrilous language, and beat her to such a degree that she was in danger of her life. He attacked Mr. Balthazar Cramer, the eldest son of the grantee of Ballyfoyle, upon the road, wounded him, and threatened to murder him, but fortunately for himself was prevented. This happened in 1671, and in order to escape prosecution, Philip Purcell was forced to fly from the country [The County Kilkenny in 1641-43, by G.D. Burtchaell].
He proceeded to London, where he endeavored as best he could to press his suit before the Duke of Ormond, for the recovery of his hereditary estates; but his efforts were unsuccessful, and he found himself a close prisoner in Newgate, in Nov. 1674. Soon after the duke procured his release upon promising to transport himself to France, "where the duke bought him a place among the Gens d'Armes of France with a small estate of £36, which Purcell has still left, and afforded him a competent and creditable maintenance [Carte's Life of Ormond]. Of his ultimate fate nothing certain is known.
Rev. Carrigan's History of the Diocese of Ossory" also includes mention of Purcells at Ballymartin, of Foulksrath, of Clone, of Conahy, of Lismain, or Esker, and of Ballyragget.
Extracts from the Calendar of Ormond Deeds, Vol. I & II, Curtis, 1933-34
Circa 1207-1213 - William the Marshal, Earl of Pembroke, grants to Adam de Hereford and his heirs all thet "Thoit" [Tuath] or district called Mamcohle, in which his castle of Radoueny [Rathdowney] stands, by seisin of two knights with the usual free customs and liberties. Winesses: Geoffrey son of Robert, Walter Purcel, Thomas fitz Antony, Luke de Clareio, Roger de Hereford, Richard Malerbe, Robert Smich, Warin son of Fulc, Philip the clerk. [#36, p.19] Note: Mamochle, also called Moynochle and Maynochle. Carrigan considers it Magh-lacha, a tribe land in ancient Ossory, located perhaps in co. Leix.
Circa 1290 (before 1229) - Robert Tysun grants for ever to Ralph de Ely a carucate and thirty acres in Dunhod (perhaps Donoughmore. parish of St. Patrick's). Witnesses: Thomas son of Antony, Walter Purcel, Hugh his son, Baldwin de Bethun, John travere, William de Gernet, Gervase le Mercer, William Deven, Robert Marchals, Thomas the clerk, Penecole Travers, William Camail. In dosro: Dunhod in Ossor. [#282, p. 113] Note: This deed is more properly dated 'before 1229,' as given by Eric St. John Brooks (see article at the beginning of this page).
Circa 1250 - Mabilia Crok, daughter and heir of the late Wydo Crok, in her lawful viduity, quit-claims to Theobald Btler and his heirs, Baleathel. Witnesses: Sir Hugh Purcel, Sir Thomas de Kanyewelle, Sir William Haket, Sir Maurice le Bret, Sir John de Druelle, Sir Robert Purcel, Sir Robert Maunsel, etc. [#105, p.45]
Between 1260-1286 - Grant by John Pippard to Lord Theobald Pincerna (Butler of Ireland) and his heirs forever, of all his lordship and rent of six pence which Sir Nicholas de Dunheued owed him in the tenement of Rathdowni (Rathdowney)... Among the witnesses is Walter Purcel, knight. [#133, p.59]
Circa 1270 - John de Balunchevill quit-claims to Sir Theobald le Botiller and his heirs land which Thomas de Blaunchevill his late brother had of the gift of the said Sir Theobald at Kyllernysse [Killarney, barony of Gowran]... Witnesses: Sir John Purcel, Robert Baron, Geoffrey de Duyl, Maurice le Bret, Robert Purcel, John de Barri, knights, etc. [#169, p.72]
Circa 1282 - Cecily daughter of Donald Oconnean grants to Richard Costard and his heirs, in consdieration of twenty-three marks and a robe, twenty-one acres and a stang of arable land in the tenement of Maymoch lying between the King's highway leading to Odagh and the land of William Purcel and the path leading to Kilrehan [Coolcraheen a ruined church and burial ground about a mile from the church of Mymoch on the north west of St. Muicin's church of Mayne] on the right hand, in breadth, one part of which is called Gillenebretyn, on the east side, the other Gortinebridegan, on the west. Winesses: William Waspayn, Gilbert Latimer, William son of Ralph, William Manus, John Kilrame, William Purcel, Richard de Balikerran. [#252, p.100]
Circa 1282 - Hugh Purcel quit-claims to Sir Nicholas de Dunheved and his heirs twelve librates of land which he gave him with Joan his duaghter, in frank marriage in the lordship of Adcroyl [Cruell, parish of Aghaboe, co. Leix in Ossory; part of it is known ad Croolhill=Ardcroile]. for which said Nicholas have him in exchange for Clonmin [Clonmeen, parish of Rathdowney] and Drummethan. Witnesses: Sir John Purcel, Robert Barun, John de Drehull, Geoffrey le Bret, John de Barry, knights, John le Blund, clerk. [#253, p.100]
Between 1282-1292 - Nicholas de Duneved grants to Sir Ralph Pippard and his heirs the land and rent which Sir Hugh Purcel and Joan his wife hold in the manor of Athcrcol, with the lordship of John de Honde. [#256, p.101]
July, 1298 - John Pippard grants to Sir Theobald, Butler of Ireland, and his heirs for ever, the lordship of Rathdowny and Moynochle with the glebe and advowson of the Church of Rathdowny and its chapels. Witnesses: Sir Gilbert de Bohun, Seneschal of the liberty of Kilkenny, Sir Silvester le Ercedekene, Sir William le Poer, Sir Walter Purcel, Richard le Ercedekene, William le Ercedekene, Jordan de Exonia, Hugh Poswyk, Gilbert Smyche, Walter de Boys. [#333, p.135]
April 4, 1299 - Simon son of Adam Oglath grants to Patrick son of John de Hereford and his heirs 12d. silver yearly rent in the tenement of Mainmuckin... lying in length from Costarditone to the church of St. Muckyne up to the land of Richard Purcel; in breadth from Costardstone to the cross which leads towards the church of Mainmuckyn. Witnesses: Richard Purcel, Ada, le Mercer, Henry Viel, clerk. [#341, p. 138] Note: Carrigan cites the church of St. Muicin stood in the townland of Jenkinstown, parish of Mayne, barony of Fassadinin, and which represented the ancient townland of Mainmuckin.
June 15, 1331 - John son of Robert le Poer, knight, grants to Fulco son of Fulco de Fraxineto and his heirs of all his lands and tenements in Fathely with all their appurtenances. Given at Kilkenny. Witnesses: Reimund Lercedekne, Thomas de Cantewell, knights, John de Rocheford, Walter Purcel, John Lercedekne, Thomas de Kilraime, Walter de Rocheford and Thomas le Deuenys. [#630, p.267-8]
November, 1347 - Simon son of Walter Purcell grants to Maurice son of Walter Purcell the advowson of the church of Fynel (Fennell) with all rights pertaining to the same. To have and to hold in fee and heritage rendering therefor to the chief lords of that fee the service due and accustomed. Given at Kilkenny. Witnesses: Thomas de Cantewell, John de Blanchuile, knights, Oliver de la freyne, David le Grase and Maurice Deuenys. [#798, p.337]
February 1, 1362, N. S. - Maurice Purcell grantes to Nicholas Broun, chaplain, vicar of the church of Mothyll, Henry Osmer, chaplain, vicar of the church of Jerpoint, Roger son of William Outlawe and Dauid son of John fitz Nicholas the advowson of the church of Fynel as above. Given at Fynel. Witnesses: Robert Marescall, cleric, Nicholas Syfert, cleric, Maurice Deuenys, William Ley and Thomas Broun of Higginstowne. [#798, p.337-8]
May 16, 1362 - Geoffrey son of Roger de la Freynge grants to Patrick son of Fulc de la Freynge the manor of Kilmanan, together with the advowson of the church there... Given at Kilkenny. Witnesses: Robert, son of Oliver de la Freynge, seneschal of the Liberty of Kilkenny, John, son of Fulc de la Freynge, sheriff of the same liberty, David de Rochford, knight, Maurice Purcel, Thomas Kilrame. [ii. #85, p. 69-70]
May 30, 1372 - William de Queryntoun, chaplain, gives and grants to John Deverous, chaplain, eighty acres of land, meadow, moor and wood, in Arblasteresgrove in the tenement of Loghmetheran... Given at Kilkenny. Witnesses: Oliver de la Freynge, Maurice Purcell, Maurice Devenisshe, Thomas Hode and Nicholas Baathe. [ii. #181, p. 126]
March 10, 1379, N. S. - Thomas son and heir of Maurice Purcel, Henry Purcel, brother of Thomas, and Katherine de fraxineto, mother of Thomas and Henry, release and quit-claim for ever to the prior and convent of St. John at Kilkenny all their claim in one messuage and ten acres of land together with the advowson of the church of Fynel. Given at Kilkenny. [#798, p.338]
Circa 1413 - Royal service due to the Lord of Balligaveran in the barony of Ballygaveran (Gowran). Listed among the service due, of xxs., "from Drumyrthyr by the hand of Walter Purcell." [ii. #424, p. 318]
Information compiled and contributed by Dennis Walsh.
Page last modified Sunday, 17-Nov-2002 21:08:06 MST
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor.
A Special Thanks to Rootsweb for
this web space.