History of the Barony of Cranagh
County Kilkenny Ireland History
Barony of Cranagh, Crannagh or Grannagh
Noted here early was the Gaelic sept of O'Caibhdeanaich (O'Coveney or O'Keveney), chiefs of the plain of Magh Airbh [Moy Arve] and Clar Coill. The plain of Moy Arve comprised much of the present barony of Cranagh, in Kilkenny. Crannagh is a common name in Ireland according to the Onomasticon Goedelicum.
Following the Norman invasion in the late 12th century the Graces are noted here as Barons of Courtstown. Tullaroan, a parish in the barony of Cranagh, formed part of the extensive territories of Raymond le Gros, Earl Strongbow's companion in arms. He fixed his principal residence at Courtstown, in this parish, whence the head of the family was in after times sometimes styled Baron of Tullaroan, or of Courtstown, and the surrounding land were often distinguished by the name of Grace's parish.
In 1247 recorded names of those holding knights fees in the barony of Crannagh included:
John de Pyonies (Pioniis or Pyomes), 1/8th fee at Glascro [Clashnacrow].
Richard de Troye (Troia), 1/2 fee at Bablorcan and Drumdelgyn [Ballylarkin & Thornback in Troyswood]
William de St. Leodegaro (St. Leger), 1/2 fee at Taluchambroc [Tullaghanbrogue].
Richard de Rocheford, 1/4 fee at Sewin [Sheffin].
Thomas de Rocheford, or Miles de Rochford, 1/4 fee at Lavertach and Carrik [Killaree and Carrigeen, parish of Odagh].
William le Gras, 1/4 fee at Tulachrothan [Tullaroan].
Roland Bloet, 1/4 fee at Rathele [presumably Rathealy, parish of Tullaroan].
Franco Theutonicus, 1/10 fee at Damach [possibly Damma, parish of Ballycallan].
Res de Ardern, 1 knight fee at Acheneneth and Tirrusk [Athnenegh, Tirrusk, in parish of Kilmanagh].
In 1317 recorded names of those holding knights fees in the barony of Crannagh included:
John de Thornebrugge, or Bartholomew Tornbryg, 1/8th fee at Glaskero [Clashnacrow].
Theobald de Troye, or Maurice Troy, 1/2 fee at Ballilorgan, Drandelgy & Troystan [Ballylarkin & Thornback in Troyswood]
heir of William de St. Leodegaro (St. Leger), 1/2 fee at Theloghanbrok [Tullaghanbrogue].
heir of Richard de Retford (de Rocheford), 1/4 fee at Sleuyn [Sheffin].
William de Rocheford, or Edmund de Rochford, 5/8 fee at Laghertac & Carryk [Killaree and Carrigeen, parish of Odagh].
Geoffrey Forestall, 1/10 fee at le Damagh [possibly Damma, parish of Ballycallan].
John de Weston, or Adam de Weston, 1/4 fee at Rathele [presumably Rathealy, parish of Tullaroan].
Maurice de Aderne, or David Druhull, 1 knight fee at Acheneneth and Tirrusk [Athnenegh, Tirrusk, in parish of Kilmanagh].
heir of Hugh de Druhall, or Thomas Pembroke, 3/4 fee at Tiberydbrytayn [Tubbridbritain].
Thomas de Fanyn, 1/2 fee at Clomantagh.
Edmund le Gras, or William le Gras, 1/4 fee at Tillarouthan [Tullaroan].
Gilbert Shorth (Shorthal), 1/12 fee at Ballidosgill [possibly Ballydowel, parish of Ballinamara].
In 1326 a Robert Fitzjohn Shortall of Claragh is noted at Ballylarkin castle near Freshford, the seat of the Shortall family which for a long time was of great note in this county.
The distribution of lands in the barony of Crannagh circa 1640 shows the major landowners to be the Graces, Shortalls,
Purcells, Butlers, Shees, Rothes, Rochfords, and others.
O'Delahunty, of the same stock as the O'Carrolls of Ely, was a principal name here in the 17th century. In the "Census" of 1659 the spelling was Dullahunty, a principal name in the barony of Crannagh, Co. Kilkenny.
The principal Irish name and their number in the 1659 census, Barony of Crannagh, included Butler, 022 ; Brenogh, 007 ; O Boe &c., 005 ; Brohy, 011 ; Britt, 006 ; Brenon, 008 ; Birne, 013 ; Brin, 005 ; Cormucker, 006 ; Carroll, 007 ; Coghell, 012 ; Cantwell, 005 ; Comerford, 015 ; Coody, 006 ; Crooke, 006 ; Dreiling, 008 ; Dowling, 011 ; Duin and Duing, 011 ; Dulany, 017 ; Dullahunty, 016 ; Fanning, 005 ; Grace, 041 ; Healy, 006 ; Hologhon, 010 ; Hicky, 09 ; Kelly, 14 ; Kenedy, 10 ; Morphy, 12 ; Mogher, 18 ; Pheland, 27 ; Ryane, 10 ; Shea, 10 ; Shortall, 08 ; Tobin, 08 ; Tinan, 06 ; Walsh, 31. The total number of Irish in the barony included 1,778 ; the total number of English included 079.
Information compiled and contributed by Dennis Walsh.
Parishes and Townlands of Crannagh
Page last modified Friday, 12-Jan-2007 09:10:53 MST
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor.
A Special Thanks to Rootsweb for
this web space.