Historic Castles of County Kilkenny Ireland
Historic Castles of County Kilkenny
Historic County Kilkenny Castles, Castle sites, Stronghouses, or Forts
This is a simple list of many of the castle sites noted in the county of Kilkenny, Ireland. Much of the reference comes from two sources: that of Rev. William Carrigan, who published the "History and Antiquities of the Diocese of Ossory" ; and that of Owen O'Kelly who originally published a book entitled, "A History of County Kilkenny" , which was subsequently republished as "The Places-Names of the County of Kilkenny" . Even though the history, or even the names, of many of the castles of County Kilkenny are unknown, this transcription is an attempt to list as many of the known sites where castles, or strong-houses, were erected within the bounds of the historic county (including part of County Laois). The large number of sites is a testament to the long history of the area particularly from the time of the Cambro-Norman invasion in the late 12th century. It should be noted that prior to the building of many of the stone structures listed here, there were a greater number of raths, forts and/or mounds that were constructed prior to the 13th century that we know very little about. With well over 1,600 townlands documented in County Kilkenny, it is not uncommon to find evidence of multiple rath sites within each townland.
Perhaps this list may be useful for those wishing to locate, document or photograph these sites, a very small number of which have been studied through archaeological means. Or perhaps the list may be useful in making connections to some of the eminent families of earlier days.
Reference Name - description and/or location.
Aghaviller Castle -- the ruins of this castle lie outside the village of Newmarket. The castle ruins stand within the churchyard of a pre-Norman church, with a Round Tower stump of 13 feet. Location: Aghavillar parish.
Aghamacart castle -- Carrigan cites the castle began to fall in 1801. One of its walls stood to a height of 20 ft circa 1900. It stood forty perches from the ancient churchyard. Location: Aghmacart parish, Durrow, Co. Laois.
Aglish Castle -- in the townland and parish of the same name, there was a castle recorded in 1653 which has been long destroyed.
Annaghs -- The ruined castle on the Barrow river, in the parish of Shanbogh, two miles south of New Ross, was called Caislean Eanacha. It was Butler of Ormonde property and Piers Butler was banished to Connaught in 1653.
Annamolt castle -- Annamult castle and the site of a castle tower are located in this townland, parish of Danesfort.
Archerstown castle -- the Down Survey map shows a high, square castle in Rothe's part of Archerstown, near the southern end of the townland and close to Seskin. Its site is pointed out in Daniel Fitzpatrick's "Raheens."
Ardaloo -- the ruined castle is north of the church at the angle called "the shot" where the Nore and Dinan rivers meet. Location: Ardaloo townland, parish of Grangemacomb.
Ardclone castle -- the castle of Arclone stood in the Bolliaheece division of this townland, beside the Pill river, on the little elevated plot know as the Thullawn. No trace of it remains now. Location: Fiddown parish.
Arderra castle -- was burned down in 1820. Location: Arderra townland and parish. The townland and castle belonged to Colonel Hoyle Walsh, second son of Walter Walsh, esq., of Castlehale, in the middle of the 17th century.
Ardra Castle -- The castle of Ardra, in the townland of the same name, in ruins, is in a wood formerly known as the Twelve views wood. Location: Attanagh parish.
Ashtown castle -- Carrigan cites there was a castle here in Power's "grove field", but there is no trace of it now. Location: Fiddown parish.
Ballamoney castle -- in the Catholic parish of Seir-Kieran, townland of Oakley Park, the ruins of the castle were still pointed out circa 1900.
Ballacolla castle -- According to the Down Survey Map there was a ruined castle in "Ballicalo" in the middle of the 17th century. Its site was i nthe "Old Gardens" close to the cross-roads of Tintore, Co. Laois.
Ballaghranin castle -- listed by Carrigan as a fine old castle, all the walls of which are perfect. Its external measurement is 37 1/2 ft. by 30 ft., the walls being 7 1/2 ft. in thickness. There are five stories and a garret at the top. Goeffrey Fitzpatrick occupied this castle in the early part of the 17th century. Location: Catholic parish of Rathdowney, co. Laois.
Balleen -- in the townland and parish of the same name, there is a Caiseal, a stone fort, next to the ruins of the ancient church, and to the west of the ruined Mountgarret castle. Balleen park (now the townland of Lodge) is mentioned in the Down Survey 1657, and a castle site is mentioned here in the Ordnance Survey Letters.
Balief Castle -- near Tubbrid, Co. Kilkenny, a 16th century round tower-house of the Shortall family, later belonging to the Butler family and the St. George family. A Shortal castle in ruins is adjacent to Balief House. Location: Clomantagh parish.
Ballinlaw castle -- in ruins, is a small tower house [ca. 15th century] with an adjoining modern house. The Butlers forfeited the castle under Cromwell in 1653. Location: Kilcolumb parish.
Ballybrae -- in the parish of Kilbeacon this townland has a field known as Castle field although no castle is cited.
Ballybur castle -- stands firm and partly occupied in Ballubur townland. The Comerfords were lords of the district in early Anglo-Norman times, the head of the family being Baron of Danganmore in Dunnamaggin parish. Location: Ballybur parish (Shillelogher).
Ballyconra -- There is no trace of the castle now, but the Down Survey Map shows it to have stood beside the Nore, and, apparently on the site occupied by Ballyconra Mill, according to Carrigan. Location: Aharney parish
Ballycuddihy -- There is a castle in ruins north of Ballycuddihy House. Location: parish of Fertagh.
Ballyduff -- The ruined castle of Ballyduff adjoins Ballyduff House, in the townland of the same name, parish of Inistioge.
Ballyfinan castle -- located in the townland of Newtown, parish of St. Canice, this castle once belonged to the Selingers or St. Ledgers.
Ballyfoyle -- A Purcell castle ruins site is located in this townland in the parish of Kilmadum. The Moat of Ballyfolyle is an imposing circular structure.
Ballygihen -- in Aghaboe parish, co. Laois, Carrigan cites this as a very curious old building, 45 ft. long externally, and only 12 ft. wide internally, with a projection at the north-east corner, rectangular below and rounded above. The east side-wall was 30 ft. high; the south wall entirely destroyed; some fragments of the other walls remained when Carrigan wrote his description, The walls were 3 1/2 to 4 ft. thick. The courtyard was still in fair preservation, 12 ft. high all round, and surrounded by a deep fosse. This was Fitzpatrick territory in the 17th century.
Ballyhale -- aka Howel's homestead in the parish of Derrynahinch. Howel was a christian name peculiar to the Walshes of the Mountains and Ballyhale was referred to as Howellstown in 14th century documents. The old Walshe castle adjoins the present Catholic church.
Ballyhenneberry castle -- the ruins stood in Mrs. Power's orchard, according to Carrigan, till they were uprooted and removed about 1840. Location: Kilmanahin, Fiddown parish.
Ballykealy castle -- at the turn of the 20th century a considerable fragment of Ballykealy castle was still standing. In Aghmacart parish, co. Laois, the local tradition was the castle belonged to a brnach of the Fitzpatricks, known as the "Criffins."
Ballykeeffe Castle -- at Ballykeeffe are the ruins of the castle of that name as recorded in 1837. Location: Tullaghanbrogue parish [Lewis & O'Kelly], and adjoining townland of Ballykeefe, Kilmanagh parish [O'Kelly].
Ballylarkin Castle -- a ruined Shortal castle lies here in the townland and parish of the same name.
Ballylinch Castle -- Oliver Grace's son, Gerald, built Ballylinch Castle and moved there in 1563. After the land confiscations of the 1650's the Butlers of Ikerrin moved to Ballylinch. The ruined Grace castle stands beside the Nore river. Location: Ballylynch parish. The Anglo-Norman Grace family is said to have also erected a castle in adjoining Legan townland. The Liagan gave its name to the townland and it, an Ogham inscription, originally stood at the castle gate.
Ballymack -- cited by Carrigan as the castle of Ballymackan, this Comerford residence was located in Burnchurch parish, parish in the townland of Ballymac.
Ballymartin -- in Ballymartin townland, parish of Donaghmore, the are green mounds which mark the castle site and these are in the castle field.
Ballynabarnay -- The Bolger family, the first of which came with Strongbow in 1171, came to this townland from Wexford taking up residence in a castle long destroyed. Location: The Rower parish.
Ballynaboola -- castle remains in ruin in 1837. Location: Kilfane parish.
Ballynabooley castle -- An ancient church and churchyard long levelled stood a few hundred yards east of Ballynabooley [Ballinabooly] castle, still a fine structure. It is believed to have been a stronghold of the Grant faimly. There are three raths adjacent to the castle. Location: Ballynabooley townland, parish of Tullaherin.
Ballynacooly castle -- Ballynacooly castle, of which little remains, was Walsh property and James Walsh paid 2/- hearth money for his house here in 1664. Location: Killahy parish.
Ballynoony -- the site of Ballynoony castle, parish of Kilbeacon, is on high ground in the castle meadow. It belonged to the Lords of the Mountain (Walsh) at one time.
Ballyoskill -- In the townland of the same name, parish of Attanagh, is a castle site in the old castle field.
Ballyragget Castle -- aka Butler Castle, near Ballyragget, built by Mountgarret Butlers (c1495), it included a tower-house, rounded turrets and bawn.
Ballyreddy castle -- see Freney's castle.
Ballyring -- Carrigan states there was a castle levelled in this townland in 1844 in the field called Bawn. Location: parish of Sheffin [or Coolcashin?].
Ballysheanmor castle -- is in Pigeon Park and a recess on the castle top is known as Leaba chaol. Location: Gowran Demesne, parish of Gowran. Also spelled Ballyshawnmore.
Ballytarsney castle -- close to Ballytarsney village there is a tract called Bawnacushlawn, or the castle field. No trace of the castle is now visible. Location: Ballytarsney parish.
Ballytobin -- a townland in the parish of Ballytobin (Kells) is the site of Balytobin House, built by the Bakers in the 19th century. The House is said to be built on the site of Tobin's old castle.
Barrabehy castle -- in the townland of the same name, parish of Tubrid, Barrabehy castle, of which nothing remains, stood close to Barrabehy old village.
Black Castle -- noted in the townland of Killaree, Odagh parish, are the ruins of Black Castle and a large rath to the west of it.
Blanchvillespark -- a division of this townland is referred to as Castlecreen (Caislean crion), an old castle, perhaps once the site of a castle. Location: Gowran parish.
Blanchvillestown -- The castle adjoining Blanchville House is long destroyed. This Anglo-Norman family owned extensive lands between Gowran and Kilkenny city, giving name to seven townlands within the area. Location: Blanchvilleskill parish.
Bonnettstown castle -- the castle of Bonnetstown was a rather small, square keep, with a stone atch supporting the third story, to which access was had by a stairway in the thickness of the north wall. Only two stories remained circa 1900. The ruins are located in the Bonnettstown Hall stable-yard and belonged to Robert Shee in 1559, but was Ormonde property previsously. Location: Bonnettstown, St. Canice's parish.
Booleyshea -- The townland of the same name lies in St. Canice's townland and the ruined castle of the Shee [O'Shea] family is beside Cloran stream. An old castle is mentioned of this name near the townland of Barrackhill, Ballycallan parish.
Borris-in-Ossory castle -- at the turn of the 20th century only the shattered first story and fragments of the second story remained. It is loacte in the parish of Borris-in-Ossory, co. Laois. Borris castle belonged to Brian Oge Fitzpatrick in 1588.
Brittas castle -- the castle site is in the castle field of the townland of Cappagh (near Kilkieran), parish of Inistioge. It was once owned by the Dobbyn family of Lisnatana (prior to the 1650's).
Brittasdryland -- In the townland of the same name is a 'castle' site which only an earthen rampart remains. Location: Kilmanagh parish.
Britthawce castle -- in Britthawce, a subdivision of Kilkieran [townland] according to Canon Carrigan, stood a castle of the Dobbin family. Its site was still pointed out in his time in the "castle field" of Britthawce, to the south-west of Kilkieran churchyard. Location: Kilkieran parish.
Brownsford castle -- this castle, in ruins, near Brownsford House belonged to the Barons or FitzGeralds who owned the castle and lands in the townland of Brownsford. Location: Dysartmoon parish.
Burnchurch Castle -- built by Maurice fitzGerald about A.D. 1215, includes a late 15th century tower-house and bawn. It is 6 stories high. A walled courtyard was originally attached to the castle, and of this the 41 foot high circular turret near the castle still remains. It belonged to the prominent FitzGerlad or Baron family. The castle was last occupied in 1817. Location: Burnchurch parish (Shillelogher).
Byrnesgrove castle -- In Kilmocar parish there stood a castle occupied by the O'Byrne family when it was uprooted in 1820 (according to Carrigan).
Cahir castle -- "Caar Castle" stood on the highest point of the "Castle Hill", in the townland of Newtown, Catholic parish of Durrow, co. Laois. It was property of the Lord of Upper Ossory prior to Cromwell. A noted robber named McCann had his den here in the 18th century, and from this circumstance the castle was known as "McCann's castle."
Callan castles -- there were a number of castles within the town and liberty of Callan. Carrigan mentions a few in his History, including Skerry's castle in West-Street; Coorthfeerish, or Pierce's Court, at the east end of Mill-Street; and Butler's castle, the site of which cannot be accurately determined.
Cantwellscourt -- see Sandfordscourt.
Cappagh -- In Cappagh, otherwise Cappaghmore, otherwise Cappanagearagh, in the parish of St. Canice's, was a castle with traces still remaining circa 1900. Cappagh was an ancient manor to which Newtown and Holdensrath are mentioned as belonging, and was forfeited by Henry Archer in 1653.
Carraigeen Fort -- as marked on the Ordnance Survey sheet, lies in the townland of Raheendomore (rath of the dun-colored fort), parish of Graiguenamanagh.
Carrigclooney castle -- the castle, destroyed circa 1800, and a hamlet are near the Barrown river in the townland of Carriglooney, parish of Kilmakevoge. Aylwardstown House, built in 1609, is in nearby Aylwardstown townland.
Cashel -- in the townland of the same name, formerly known as Cashel Farrel, parish of Clonmore, stood a fort or cashel near the old village of Licaun.
Castle Bamford -- stands in ruin in the townland of Goslingtown, parish of Castleinch.
Castlebanny -- aka castle of the milk in the parish of Derrynahinch. The ruined castle here is locally called the Caiseal and near it by the roadside is a small rath. This may be the Milk Castle marked on old maps of the county.
Castlecolumb -- Carrigan states that a church here was assigned to the Priory of Kells in the 13th century. Ban na cille, the church bawn, is near the castle which is in the Castle field, parish of Knocktopher.
Castlecomer -- site of a 12th century motte castle.
Castle Eve -- aka Eva D'Earley's castle, the castle and tower are in ruins in the parish of Earlstown.
Castlefield -- this townland, formerly know as Black castle, has little history recorded other than the castle and lands belonged to the agar (Gowran) estates about the turn of the 18th century.
Castlefleming -- the castle which this townland, in Rathdowney parish, Co.Laois, derives its name, stood two or three perches north of Castlefleming "Court", according to Rev. Carrigan. Ony its foundations remained at the beginning of the 19th century, but even these were uprooted many years ago.
Castlegannon -- This caiseal and Castlebanny were hill fortresses of the Walshes, located in Derrynahinch parish.
Castlehale -- aka Castle Howell, the castle, in ruins to the ground level, was for centuries the chief seat of the Walshes, Lords of the Mountain. The castle built by Howel Walshe shortly after the Cambro-Norman Invasion was owned by this family until the Cromwellian confiscations. Location: townland of Rossanarra Demesne, Kilmaganny parish.
Castleinch -- aka Inchyholohan, is a townland in the parish of the same name, with a ruined castle on the opposite side of the road from the ancient church.
Castlekelly -- aka O'Kelly's castle, in the parish of Kilmacahill. The castle site is in a field north of Castlekelly cross-roads in which there is a large rath.
Castlemarket -- in the townland of the same name, parish of Rosconnel, stood an Ormonde castle on a high moat in the Cruachan field. Carrigan suggests both the castle and moat were destroyed in 1800.
Castlemorris -- mansion of Harvey de Montmorency, Esq. in the early 19th century, built in 1751. The Morris family got a grant of land here in 1653, almost certainly Walsh possessions before the confiscations. Here are the remains of an ancient round tower and of a castle and abbey, the latter containing the cemetery of the Castlemorris family, whose seat, surrounded by a well-planted demesne of about 400 plantation acres, is in the vicinity. The ruins of the castle consist chiefly of the keep, which attests its former magnitude - [as described in 1837]. Location: About 3 miles (S. W.) from Knocktopher, parish of Aghavillar.
Castlepierce -- or Pierce Mac Cody's castle, known as Castlereeogh in 17th records, in Rathpatrick parish. It stood on a barren, rocky site on the verge of Monnaela Bog. It was probably not older than the 16th century, internally it was 25 ft by 18ft, the walls being 4 1/2 ft. thick. Carrigan descibed it as thrre stories with a garret, about 1905.
Castletobin -- site of an early Anglo-Norman enclosure [ringfort] of the Tobin family, who were given large grants of land in the Callan area at an early date. The castle stump still remains according to O'Kelly. Location: townland of Castletobin, parish of Callan.
Castletown -- also known as 'place of Mac Oda's castle', has a ruined castle on the northern border of the townland of the same name, parish of Erke.
Castletown-Chriffin -- see Donnaghmore.
Castlewarren -- now the name of a townland in Tiscoffin parish, the castle site is on top of the hill-ridge at 660 feet.
Church Hill -- an ancient fort is located in the Moat field of this townland in the parish of Grange. There is also a field named the Castle field here.
Clara Castle -- a 15th century tower-house of the Shortall family, with a 17th century bawn (recently restored). This fifteenth century tower is five-stories tall plus attic, an entrance strengthened by a yett and a drawbar behind the door, and most of its typical Irish merlons along the parapets. Yet with its 10 x 23 foot bawn, probably built in the seventeenth century to protect the sheep from robbers in the night rather than for defense of the castle, the place would almost be insignificant today were it not for the original horizontal trellises and oak floors. Location: About 3 1/4 miles (E. by N.) from Kilkenny, parish of Clara, townland of Clara Upper.
Clarabricken -- located in the parish of Clara, it formerly belonged to the Archer family. About 1900 a considerable fragment of the castle still remained standing to a height of 30ft., the walls 5 ft. thick.
Clashacrow -- A 13th century church and square tower house combined, in the parish of the same name. Carrigan states there was a long demolished castle nearby, possibly of the Shortal family.
Clifden castle -- The 16th century Clifden castle in ruins beside Piyy lane belonged to the Blanchville family. Richard Blanchville, his wife and six children were transplanted to Connacht in 1654. Location: Clara parish, townland of Rathgarvan.
Clinstown -- in Clyn's Town townland, Conahy, there was a castle, the ruins of which were removed about 1860. It belonged, as did the townland, to the Mountagarrets.
Clogaralt -- there is a towered castle in ruins in this townland, and the ruins of Cloch Ghearailt (Garret's stone fortress) from which the townland derives its name. Location: parish of the Rower.
Cloghala -- according to the Down Survey Map (1655) there was a large castle in repair at Cloghala, Dungarvan parish.
Cloghaisty castle -- located in the townland of the same name this ruined castle, 1 1/2 miles from Graiguenamanagh, stands in bold relief against the woods of Clashganny, according to O'Kelly. Location: parish of Ullard.
Cloghfook -- A castle, long destroyed, probably of the Purcell family, was in a field called Seanchaislean, as recorded in the Down Survey of 1655. Location: Kilmadum parish.
Cloghscregg castle -- A castle of the Cantwells, long destroyed, was located in this townland in the parish of Kilfane. A disused graveyard stands near the site according to O'Kelly.
Clomantagh Castle -- A 15th/16th century square towerhouse of the Shortal family.
Grid ref: OS(60)S347639. Location: about 3 1/2 miles west of Freshford. North of Kilkenny City (half-way between Johnstown and Freshford).
Clonamery -- A castle belonging to Mac an Bharuin (Mac Barron), alias FitzGerald, stood here adjoining a small ancient ruined church. Edward FitzGerald was the last of the line who held property here in Cloon in the late 17th century. Location: parish of Clonamery. David FitzMilo FitzDavid is claimed to have built a stone castle here in the 13th century.
Clonassy castle -- Only traces of the foundations of Clonassy castle, owned by Robert Walshe, Lord of the Mountain, who was slain at the Siege of Limerick 1690, remain in a field called Pairc an chaisleain. Location: parish of Kilmacow.
Clonburren castle -- located in the parish of Rathdowney, in co. Laois, Carrigan describes the remains as roofless, but firly preserved, 40 ft. by 31 ft., with walls 7 ft. thick. There are four storys under the stone arch, and another story and a garret over it. Carrigan's History has a photograph of it, and he desribes it as probably the finest and most imposing castle in Upper Ossory, the land of the Fitz Patricks.
Clone castle -- only the site of the Purcell castle of Clone (or Cloone) remains within the townlands of Clone and Rathbeagh, parish of Rathbeagh.
Clonmoran -- see Holdensrath. This townland is in St. Patrick's parish.
Clonmore House -- is the residence of the Archdale-Morris family and dates back to the middle of the 14th century. Location: Clonmore townland and parish.
Cloone castle -- in the parish of Kilmoganny, this castle was Walshe property to 1446, then given to Jerpoint Abbey, and to the Ormonde family at the suppression of the abbey. Located in the townland of Clooen, 15th century documents record the name as Cluian Stallain and as Cluian Sheain Bhui, believed to be one of the Walshes.
Cloranshea -- this ruined castle [likely of the Shee/Shea family] adjoins the Rafter homestead according to O'Kelly. Also see Booleyshea.
Clougharinka -- traditionally said to have been built by the O'Brennans, in the parish of Muckalee, an inconsiderable portion of it remained about 1900. The townland of Clogharinka became the property of the Purcells of Ballyfoyle previous to 1404.
Conahy -- An Ormonde castle stood in Conahy Rocks but nothing now remains of the site. Location: Conahy townland, parish of Grangemacomb.
Coolaghmore -- a townland in the parish of the same name is the site of a 13th century church in ruins on Collaghmore hill, with its surrounding churchyard and ruined castle adjoining.
Coolcashin -- the castle here, long destroyed, is recorded on the Down Survey map. Location: parish of Coolcashin.
Coolhill Castle -- the castle, circa 13th century, with two towers of the circular Keep style of architecture and in a fair state of preservation stands 200 feet above the Barrow river and commands a lovely view of a wooded area backed east of the river by the southern shoulder of the Blackstair mountains. Henry de Rupe (de Roache or Roche) held lands here in 1318. The castle passed to the Mountgarret family in 1621 and came under Cromwell's confiscations in 1653. Location: parish of the Rower.
Coolkerry -- about 70 yards south of the old church of Coolkerry stood the castle of Coolkerry, in the parish of Coolkerry, co. Laois. Nothing of it remained except a closed up cellar at the turn of the 20th century.
Coolthach castle -- was in the castle field of Clogh townland, parish of Castlecomer.
Coon -- the castle of Coon, in the parish of Dysart, stood till about 1830, when it was thrown down to provide materials for the building of Coon chapel. It was strong castle built of greenstone and grouting.
Corbettstown -- The Archer family are said to have owned a castle in this townland. Location: parish of Mothell.
Corluddy castle -- a 5 story high structure is roofless but in a good state of preservation, the bottom arch showing traces of osier-rod work. It is in an open hillside east of the village and belonged to the Grants until confiscated under Cromwell. Peter Grant, chief of the family, died 1510 and was buried at St. Canice's Cathedral. Location: parish of Portnascully.
Corstown -- a castle once stood in the Castle field of this townland in the parish of Ballycallan.
Courtstown castle -- In Tullaroan parish, aka Graces' parish, stood Courtstown castle, the chief stronghold of the Gace family, long razed to the ground. Location: Courtstown townland.
Crowbally -- in this townland is a castle site and one rath. Location: parish of Derrynahinch.
Cullahill castle -- was the principal stronghold of the Mac Gillapatricks of Upper Ossory. Rev. Carrigan provides a photo and detailed description in his History and describes it as a very massive keep, built (perhaps in the early 15th century) on a solid rock foundation. It occupies the south-west angle of a partly circular courtyard or bawn, 50 perches in area, and surrounded by a wall, thick, strong and loopholed, and in 1900, from 6 ft. to 12 ft. high. It is about 90 ft. in greatest height, at its base the castle measures, externally, 48 ft. by 41 ft., and internally, 25 ft. by 18ft., which gives each of the four walls the immendse thickness of eleven and a half feet. In the second story the walls are nine feet thick. Location: Aghmacart parish, Durrow, co. Laois.
Currahill -- A Butler castle in ruins stands in this townland, in the parish of Kilmoganny.
Cushlawnomeeachawin -- or the castle of the O'Meehans, stood on Ballinalacken hill, in the Catholic parish of Ballyragget, perhaps in the civil parish of Donaghmore. Only a heap of stones marked the site in Rev. Carrigan's time (1905).
Danesfort -- a castle, built by William, Earl Mareschal was erected here in the 13th century; a castle was built near here by the Butlers in the 14th century. The ruined 14th century castle stood close to Danesfort House in the Castle field. Location: townland and parish of Danesfort.
Dangan Castle -- Owen describes Dangan, in a townland of the same name, parish of Kilmacow as, "the castle in ruins on the Black river which belonged to the Butlers of Ormonde who held extensive property here.
Danganbeagh castle -- the site of Danganbeagh castle is marked on the Ordnance Surevy sheet. The Howlings, a branch of the Walshs of the Mountain, held this townland and it appears forfeited to Harvey Morris under the Confiscations of 1653. Location: Kilree parish.
Danganmore -- at Danganmore are the remains of another castle, which formerly gave the title of baron palatine to the family of Comerford [as described by S. Lewis in 1837]. O'Kelly states that Danganmore castle, in ruins, was owned by the Comefords from 1571, and that it is roughly 150 yards south of the ancient church in Danganmore townland, parish of Dunnamaggin.
Derrin castle -- in Borris-in-Ossory, co. Laois, Carrigan described the ruins of this large three-storied house of the early 17th century, where the side walls of the top story had been taken down.
Derrynahinch House -- the ancient church, in ruins, is in the Church field beside Derrynahinch House, the home of the Walshe family over a long period.
Desert Demesne -- this townland was formerly known as Lios Chluainin, Cluainin's fort, and the fort was a quarter mile east of Desert Court in the church bawn, and is now levelled. Desert Court was a beautiful four story residence of the Earl of Desert who built it in 1733. Desert Court was dismantled is now in ruins.
Donnaghmore -- in the Down Survey Books of 1657 it is stated that "there is at Castle Cruffin and Downoghmore [in the parish of Downoghmore] two castles, one ruined, the other in some repaire..." There is now no trace of Donnaghmore castle in the Catholic parish of Rathdowney [co. Laois], but there were remains of the castle of Castletown-Chriffin in Carrigan's time. He describes "a side wall 25 ft. high and 35 long, it is 5 1/2 ft. thick at the ground and 4 ft. higher up, and built of very small stones, mostly thin flags."
Doornane -- in this townland in the parish of Pollrone once stood an Ormonde castle, now destroyed.
Drakesland -- a castle in ruins lies in the townland of Drakesland Lower in the parish of St. Patricks.
Dromroe Castle -- this destroyed castle is north of Mountloftus House, the home of the Loftus family since 1754. The castle, of which only the vaulted stone chambers remain is stated to have been erected on a rath, and Dromroe Hill is topped by a rath-like formation. Location: Mountloftus townland, parish of Powerstown.
Drymerrin -- Carrigan states the castle of Drymerrin stood to the west of the road from Ballyfoyle to Muckalee, in a field called the "Old Meadow," It has been uprooted, but the site may be distinguished without difficulty, being marked by little mounds and traces of foundations. The Down Survey in 1655, described it as "an old stump of a castle," from which it must be inferred that, even back at that time it was a ruin. Drymerrin belinged to the De le Freynes at a very early date, and by 1396 had passed to the Purcells of Ballyfoyle.
Dungarvan Castle -- in the townland and parish of the same name, Dungarvan castle, long destroyed, was beside the graveyard. It seems to have belonged to the Shortalls of Rathardmore, the ancient lords of the Manor of Dungarvan.
Dunkit Castle -- in ruins, the castle stands beside the railway line which intersects the townland of Dunkitt. Location: Dunkitt parish.
Dunnamaggin -- a townland in the parish of the same name, the Down Survey map records a castle which stood east of the ancient church but no trace now remains.
Dunningstown -- The Castle field in the townland of the same name may indicate the site of a former castle, according to O'Kelly. Location: St.Canice's parish.
Durrow -- the old Episcopal Manor-house, or Castle, of Durrow, was demolished during the 18th century. It stood on the "Castle Hill," about mid-way between Lord Ashbrook's mansion (erected in 1716) and the old churchyard, as cited by Rev. Carrigan at the turn of the 20th century.
Dysart Castle -- aka Dysert or Disert, near Thomastown, a Norman structure with adjoining ancient church.
Earlsrath -- there is a fort and fosse adjoining Smithstown townland. The townland belonged to the Walshes of the Mountains before the confiscations. Location: parish of Kilbeacon.
Ennisnag -- listed by Carrigan where he cites the castle being taken down, for the most part, but its ruins still remain to a height of several feet. It was located in the townland of Ennisnag, and belonged to the Horsfalls in the 17th century.
Esker -- Carrigan states that a castle here, mentioned in the Down Survey 1657, was Purcell property. It was entirely destroyed more than a century before Carrigan's time.
Fermoyle -- this castle in this townland was represented as a big square keep, on a Map of Leix drawn up in 1563. Scarcely a stone of it may now be seen over the grassy surface of the green rise on which it stood.
Fiddown castle -- The dun or moat is beside the river Suir and Fiddown castle in ruins is beside the river opposite Fiddown island. Location: parish and townland of Fiddown.
Finan castle -- the site of this castle is in the Curragh field where a massive iron gate was dug up in 1820. Location: townland of Finan, parish of Donaghmore.
Firoda castle -- In the townland of Upper Fioragh once stood Firoda castle, east of the Ballyragget road, in the parish of Castlecomer. This castle, and Grace's old castle were both destroyed in the beginning of the 19th century according to O'Kelly.
Forrestal castle -- in the townland and parish of Kileragh, Kilferagh House incorporates the remaining walls of the Forrestal castle built here circa 1540.
Forrestalstown castle -- The Forrestal family lost their lands under Cromwell, were transplanted to Connaught and their castle here was demolished circa 1800. Location: Ballygurrim parish.
Foulkscourt -- There is one ruined castle in this townland, parish of Erke. The christian name 'Fulc' seems to have been confined in Co. Kilkenny to the Anglo-Norman families of Purcell, Freeny and Comerford. John Healy, Foulkscourt, is said to have begun nearby Johnstown village circa 1770.
Foulksrath Castle -- near Jenkinstown, a 15th century tower house possibly built by the Anglo-Norman Purcell family. O'Kelly cites the castle (now An Oige hostel) and lands belonged to the De La Freneys in the 15th century. Location: Coolcraheen parish.
Frankfort -- aka Magh Cliara, is a townland in the parish of Killamery. The Caislean Mac Cliara, castle of Magh Cliara, ruins are east of Frankfort West village.
Freney's castle -- In the townland of Ballyreddy, parish of Dysartmoon, was the site of this castle as marked on the Ordnance Survey sheet, which was demolished in 1840.
Freneystown castle -- in the townland of the same name, parish of Tiscoffin, is Freneystown castle, a Norman keep. The castle with a room called Seomra Sciothin is in a good state of preservation.
Galmoy castle (1) -- Lord Galmoy's ruined castle recorded as one of the finest in Ireland stood west of the road in the townland of Lowergange, Grangesylvia parish. The great family lost all lands under William of Orange, in the first years of the 18th century.
Galmoy castle (2) -- A [Lord] Galmoy castle is in ruins beside the Narrow river, in Ballyogan (Ballyhogan) townland in the parish of Graiguenamanagh, according to O'Kelly.
Garran castle -- this townland in Borris-in-Ossory, Co. Leix, is also called Garranmaconly. The castle here consisted of five storeys, and no stone arch; the windows, doors and chimney-pieces are all cut-stone, the walls are 5 1/2 ft. thick. The north and the east walls were collapsed to the foundations, about 1863, leaving the remaining walls still perfect, in the time of Carrigan. The castle, perhaps built in the middle of the 16th century belonged to the Lords of Upper Ossory, the Fitzpatricks.
Garrygaug -- or Garrai Dhathog, Little David's Garden, is a townland in Muckalle parish (Iverk) in which Carrigan states that a Walshe castle once stood but there is now no trace of it.
Garryhiggin -- There is a ruined castle adjoining Goresgrove house. Location: Tubridbritain parish in the townland of the same name.
Garryricken castle -- Richard Butler of Kilcash was granted lands in Garryricken townland, parish of Kilamery, in 1639. Garryricken castle, home of the Butlers, was in ruins before Garryricken House was built.
Gaul-Burkes castle -- the site of this castle is in the southeast corner of the townland of Gaulstown, parish of Gaulskill, barony of Ida, near Aughnalicea bridge. The ancient castle in this parish appears, from a monument in the church, to have formerly belonged to the De Burgo family.
Gaulstown -- a ruined castle is in the Castle field of this townland in the parish of Ballinamara. Gaulstown castle is also described in the townland of Gaulstown, parish of Muckalee (Fassadinan), at a site known as the Old street field.
Glashare castle -- is southwest of Ballylehaun hill which rises to a height of 866 feet. Glashare castle is in fair repair with a graveyard adjoining and a circular rath immediately north. Location: Ballylehaun and Glashare townlands, parish of Fertagh.
Gortnaclea -- Carrigan displays a photograph of this castle in Co. Leix. It stand on the brow of a slope, over the Gully river, which her spearates Ossory from Liex. It consisted originally of a masive keep 31 ft. square externally, with a projecting eastern wing, now destroyed, in which were situated the entrance door and the spiral stairway. The keep is still fairly perfect. Its side-walls are 9 ft. thick from top to bottom, the end walls, 8 ft. thick. It belonged to the Fitzpatricks.
Gortnalee -- In Coolowly townland. Co. Leix, is the ruins of Gortnalee. Carrigan mentions it located near the road from Donnaghmore to Killismestia chapel. The walls, built of green stone, remain to a height of 4 ft., but are very ruionous; they are from 4 to 5 ft. thick. Internally the building was 30 ft. by 20 ft., and probably very old.
Gorteens castle -- the castle, FitzGerald O'Dea property, is in ruins here in the townland of Gorteens, parish of Rathpatrick. All that remains is a high late medieval gate house.
Gowran Castle -- James, 3rd Earl of Ormonde, built Gowran castle in 1385 close to the site of the present castle and town walls [of Gowran village] which were erected about 1415. Location: parish, townland, and village of Gowran.
Grace's Old Castle -- listed by Carrigan
Granagh Castle -- aka Grannagh or Granny Castle, a 13th century stone enclosure castle
of the Le Poer family, granted to the Earl of Ormond in the late 14th. There is a 15/16th century towerhouse with a 16th century hall-block. O'Kelly describes the site at Granny, the name of the townland in Kilmacow parish, as Dun Bhrain, Brann's fort, given as the site on which Granny 14th century ruined castle stands overlooking the wide estuary of the Suir river. The castle was built by James, 3rd Earl of Ormonde.
Grange -- The ruined castle at Grange village belonged to the Walshes of the Mountain. Location: parish of Pollrone.
Grangemore -- Carrigan descibed it as, the "castle" or rather castellated house, of Granemore, a four-storyed building of the begininning of the 17th century. The walls are 3 ft. thick; the doors are defended by port-holes; the chimney-stacks are lozenge shaped. Its ancient proprietors were the Phelans. Location: Grange townland, Borris-in-Ossory, Co. Leix.
Grange-Kilree -- see Kilree
Granny -- see Granagh
Grantstown -- a castle of the Lords of Upper Ossory, it is one of the few round castles in the diocese of Ossory. 19ft. in diameter, at the base on the inside, the walls were fully 11 ft. thick. Carrigan describes this castle, in Co. Leix, as five storeys, viz., three under, and two over, a stone arch. It belonged to the Lords of Upper Ossory till sometime between 1621 and 1653, in which latter tear Gilbert Rawson is listed as owner. It was later occupied by the Vicars family. Location: Aghaboe parish.
Grenan Castle -- an ancient castle site near Thomastown, the area originally known as Grenan. Thomas Fitz Anthony is credited with the erection of this castle following the Cambro-Norman invasion. Grennan castle was Dene or De Dene property circa 1230 when William de Dene married the daughter of Thomas FitzAnthony, the grantee of lands here after the Anglo-Norman invasion. The Denes or Dens were dispossessed under Cromwell and the castle fell into disuse at the end of the 18th century.
Harristown -- a mansion house once stood in this townland, traditionally known as Henry's Town. This tradition mentions Henry Walsh as owner of the mansion house, probably back in the early 17th century.
Higginstown -- A castle is recorded here on the Down Survey map, 1655. Location: Blackrath parish.
Highrath -- a branch of the Shortall family of Rathardmore is noted here, and in the early 20th century the castle of Highrath still sootd, its top storey lost and otherwise modernized. Location: Blackrath civil parish.
Holdensrath castle -- also known as Fowling's rath, the ruins of a castle stand at the highest point of about 300 feet, and adjoins the Duggan homestead according to O'Kelly. Location: St. Canice's parish.
Hunstown -- In the townland of the same name, parish of Tullaroan, is the Castle field, seemingly indicating the presence of a castle at one time.
Inchacarran -- the destroyed structure, close to Mullinavat and near the angle of the Assy and Black rivers is said to have been the residence of Sean Mac Bhaiteir Breathnach, John Mac Walter Walsh, Bard of the Walsh Mountains. In 1664 it is recorded that Inchacarran was given to a Cromwellian.
Inchmore -- This townland was the site of the Grace castle and the still remaining bawn walls are on the west bank of the Nore. Location: Coolcraheen parish.
Kells Castle -- A 12th century motte with a later walled bailey. The castle of Kells, long destroyed, stood on Moinear an bhain, the bawn meadow, near the Moat in the village of Kells, parish of Kells.
Kilbline -- a strong-house connected to the families of Comerford, Shortall, Gore, Curry and Lennon. Location: Kilfane parish. Located in the parish of Tullaherin the castle was forfeited by Thomas Comerford of Ballymac in 1566.
Kilbreedy astle -- another Co. Leix castle, included here because of its location in the diocese of Ossory, in the parish of Aghaboe and named from the townland. Kilbreedy bears a striking resemblance to Grennan castle near Thomastown. Except that it has lost the uppermost story, it was in fair preservation, per Carrigan, standing at 35 ft. high. It is 56 ft. long externally, and 34 1/2 ft. wide. The founders of the castle are claimed to be the O'Phelans (of Kilbride).
Kilbricken -- Carrigan says there was a castle in this townland near Callan, close to the King's River, in a field called Srawdh-a-tee-mooszh.
Kilcollan -- a castle and other ancient buildings once stood in this townland in the parish of Conahy.
Kilcreen -- a townland of the same name, in St. Canice's parish, O'Kelly cites a Rothe castle that once stood on the site of Kilcreen House which was built in 1716.
Kilcreggan -- Kilcraggan ruined castle belonged to the Walshes, Lords of the Mountain. Location: Ballytarsney parish.
Kilcurl -- the castle, high and strong, is believed to have been built by Treasa Meith, fat Theresa, probably a Purcell, as it was
forfeited by the Purcells under Cromwell. Location: parish of Knocktopher.
Kildaton -- the castle stood on a low ridge or mound, about 250 yds, east of Bessborough House. This early Daton family residence was taken down soon after the erection of the mansion house, which dates from 1744, per Carrigan.
Kilfane -- The ruined ancient church of Kilfane with surrounding churchyard adjoin the 5-story ruined castle of the Cantwell family. There is a famous stone effigy, the Cantwell Fada, in medieval Kinght's armor in side th church which bears the coat of arms of the Cantwells. Location: townland and parish of Kilfane.
Kilferagh -- in the parish of Kilferagh, the castle belonged to the Forrestalls. The old castle had been incorporated with Kilgreagh house, and Carrigan describes it in good preservation, but the top had been modernized.
Kilkenny Castle -- beautifully restored castle, the ancient home of the Butlers, earls of Ormonde. Location: Kilkenny city.
Kilkieran -- the castle once stood in the center of the "castle field" in Kilkieran townland. It is marked on the Down Survey Map, of 1655, merely as "the stump of a castle." It and Britthawce castle belonged to the Dobbins till the Cromwellian confiscations of 1653.
Killahy castle -- In ruins in the townland of the same name, it belonged to the Graces.
Killanure -- the site of a residence, or castle, of the Fitzpatricks in the parish of Camross, co. Leix.
Killaree, Black Castle of -- once a residence of the Rochefords till the Cromwellian confiscations. Location: parish of Freshford.
Killarney -- in a townland and parish of the same name, there was a castle in repair here circa 1650 according to Rev. Carrigan.
Killashoolan -- a castle forfeited by the Shortalls of Ballylarkin, about 80 yds. south of the graveyard, in the civil parish of Fertagh. It was marked in Carrigan's time with extensive mounds and foundations.
Kilmacoliver -- in the parish of Tullahought, there is a castle site and also a mill on the Kilmacoliver stream near the junction with the Linguan river.
Kilmademoge -- There is a Blanchville castle site a hundred yards south of the ancient church in the townland of Kilmademoge, parish of Grangemacomb.
Kilmocar -- in the townland and parish of the same name, is a castle site in a field called the Caislean.
Kilmurry -- The ruined [15th century] castle in this townland belonged to the FitzGeralds [O'Deas] of Gorteens, and is not far from Slieverue village. Location: parish of Rathpatrick.
Kiloshulan castle -- a ruined castle is noted in the townland of the same name, opposite the site of an ancient church. Location: Fertagh parish.
Kilree -- An ancient church and Round Tower are located here. The Walshes here lost this townland, in the parish of Kilree (Kells), to Cromwell and were transferred to Connaught in 1654. The present residence of the Fleming family is believed to be the old home of the Walshes.
Kilree -- located in the parish of Grangekilree (Shillelogher) this townland contains a castle ruins, near Kilree House, built on an elevation called the Cruaichin, commanding a fine view.
Kilrush -- A Shortal castle in ruins stands beside Kilrush House, an early residence of the St. George family. Location: Clomantagh parish.
Kiltallaghan -- in this townland, parish of Killamery, there is a ruined castle on the Tipperary border . David Butler forfeited these lands in 1653.
Kiltown -- in the parish of Castlecomer, Kiltown townland, stood a residence of an important branch of the O'Brenans. It stood a little east of the churchyard in a firled called the Closhawn, and was known as "Brenan's Castle." One of its gables remained till about 1880; and is said to have been 25 ft. high and 7 ft. thick. In Carrigan's time, little mounds, &c., show that the castle and surrounding buildings covered fully an acre of ground.
Kyleballynamoe -- the name of a townland where, "Shortal's castle, almost demolished, was confiscated under Cromwell". Location: Tubridbritain parish.
Knockeenbaun -- Rev. Carrigan lists a castle site here in his 'Notes.' Location: Kilmanagh parish.
Knockmoylan -- a townland in the parish of Kilkeasy, there is a Walshe castle site below the village of Knockmoylan.
Knockroe -- there was a Caiseal in this townland, until destroyed by road-making long years ago. Location: parish of Tullahought.
Knocktopher Castle -- Site of a 12th century motte and bailey castle. According to O'Kelly four castles are recorded within the area of Knocktopher townland (in Knocktopher parish). Garrison castle site is on the summit of the moat at the village which is 40 feet high and 50 yards in diameter surrounded by a deep fosse still water-filled. The Manor castle in which the Corporation held its meetings is now only a site,and there are two White castle sites.
Lacken -- In the townland of Lacken, St. Canice's parish, is a castle site in the castle field. Grace's Cross is nearby.
Lavistown -- in the parish of St. Martin, in this townland, there was a castle in repair here in 1655, according to Carrigan.
Legan -- in the townland of the same name, it belonged to the monks of Jerpoint. The castle, probably built by the monks, and subsequently the residence of the Graces from te middle of the 16th century to the early part of the 17th, is now a rather insignificant ruin, per Carrigan. Its importance in former times may be gauged from the extent of its bawn, defended as it was with flanking turrets.
Lismain -- In the parish of Conahy, Lismain castle, over the Nore, was almost perfect till 1820, when most of it was taken down. It belonged to a branch of the Purcell family.
Lismatigue castle -- known as caislean ban, is now only a site in the Castle field. Located in the townland and parish of the same name. Local tradition holds the Bard of the Walsh Mountains (John Mac Walter Walsh) lived here for a time and composed the elegy of Oliver Grace of Courtown, Tullaroan.
Lodge Park -- formerly called Balleen Park, in Balleen civil parish, the Down Survey, in 1657, cites "a stone house in repair called ye Lodge." In Carrigan's notes it "is the now ruined castle in Lodge Park Demesne; it is a square building of no great consequence, though of considerable height," perhaps dated from the close of the 16th century.
Lyrath -- In this townland was a castle believed to belong to the Purcells of Ballyfoyle, near (or at) the stately late-Georgian Lyrath House. Location: Blackrath parish.
Manselscourt -- aka Munshall's Court. The site of the court, or mansion, is near the Derrylacky river. In the parish of Kilbeacon, it is cited by Tighe as a probable Walsh castle site.
Maudlin Moat -- is a well-known landmark once surmounted by a castle of which there is now no trace. Location: parish of Kilmocar.
Meallaghmore -- in this townland, parish of Killamery, there is a castle in ruins and a rath near the Inchnagloch border.
Moatpark -- also known as Tulach O mBaircche, was a site the Ui Baircche tribe settled in the 11th century. There is a large moat on the east bank of the Nore, also a castle and chapel site. Location: townland of Moatpark, parish of Donaghmore.
Moonhall -- in Moonhall townland there is a castle in ruins with a fine spring adjoining. Location: parish of Ticoffin.
Mullennahone -- in the townland of the same name, parish of Kilmakevoge, is the site of a castle which was levelled circa 1800 in the Castle field a few fields west of Glenmore chapel.
Mullinabro -- this townland, said to be named after the O'Brophys mill, shows a turret marked in the Ordnance Survey sheet on the northern border. Location: Dunkitt parish.
Mundrehid -- located in Borris-in-Ossory, co. Leix, this townland was the site of a castle which has been all removed except a piece of one of the side-walls, 20 to 30 ft. high, 5 feet thick, and rudely built of thin flags, per Carrigan.
Neigham Castle -- built circa 1487 by James Butler, 8th Earl of Ormonde, is still a prominent landmark, lone on the hillside. Location: parish of Dungarvan.
Newtown castle -- Newtown House, now dismantled and a ruins, and Newtown castle in fair condition with a fosse remaining, are west of the house in the townland of Newtown (Shea). Location: parish of Earlstown.
Odagh -- see Three Castles
Oldcastle -- in this townland, parish of Killamery, a castle site is marked on the Kiltrassy border.
Oldcourt -- according to Carrigan, in Templeorum parish of Kilkenny was a place called Shancahir, or the Old Stone Fort. The Cahir occupied a fine position on the brow of the hill overlooking the valley of Glenbower. Tradition asserts that the Walshs erected a court, or castle, within the ancient cahir, and made it one of their earliest residences on the Walsh Mountains. The title, Baron of Shancahir, had its origin in the connection of the family with this place. Both cahir and court have disappeared. The ruined walls of the latter remained, to the height of a few feet, until about 1825. The site is marked by a circular depression 45 yards in diameter. Owen O'Kelly cites Oldcourt in the parish of Fiddown.
Oldtown -- In the townland of the same name, parish of Tullaroan, is a castle site in the north-east angle.
Paulstown -- The present castle in this townland was owned by the Butler family [note the placename Butlersgrove in the same parish of Kilmacahill) from the 15th to the 18th century, afterwards owned by the Floods, and purchased in 1892 by the Healys.
Pollrone -- in the townland and parish of the same name there is a castle site near the ancient ruined church and it is recorded that Edmond Grant forfeited the church and castle in 1653.
Portnascully -- The Port or Moat (30 feet high) is an immense circuit with a fosse and is one of the finest earthen fortresses in County Kilkenny. Location: townland and parish of Portnascully.
Pottlesrath -- at Pottlesrath [townland] are the ruins of a castle as recorded in 1837. O'Kelly cites the old Butler castle being leveled circa 1800. Location: Kilmanagh parish.
Powerstown Moat -- The moat, located in a townland and parish of the same name, is a remarkable structure located in a field corner adjoining Powerstown river. The old hamlet of Powerstown is nearby.
Purcellsinch -- There is a turret in ruins in this townland, on a rath-like mound north-east of Inch House. Location: St. John's parish.
Radestown -- cited by Carrigan as a Cowley residence up to the Cromwellian confiscations.
Rathardmore -- once a well-known townland in Templemartin parish, and long the seat of an important branch of the Shortall family. The Down Survey Map of 1655 enters it as Rathersmore with an area of 271 acres, and having thereon "the ruins of an old castle." Carrigan mentions its site is marked on the Ordinance Map within the townland of Lyrath, incorrectly entered as Ratheenmore castle.
Rathealy -- O'Kelly describes in this townland, "The rath or fort, called Stuaic of Rathealy,our finest in the county, standing at 810 feet and commanding a magnificent view on all sides is sixty yards in diameter with inner fosse 20 feet deep from the top level of the rath and outer double circumvallations." Location: Tullaroan parish.
Ratheenmore Castle -- the site of the former castle is marked in Templemartin townland on the Ordnance Survey sheet. O'Kelly places the site in Rathborne, or Ratheemore, townland in the parish of St. Martins.
Rathgarvan -- Rathgarvan castle (still in fair preservation, per Carrigan), with the townlands of Rathgarvan (now Clifden) and Rathcash, belonged of old to a family of Blanchvilles, who branched of from the parent stock of Blanchvillestown.
Rathoscar -- There is a castle site in this townland with a rath adjoining. Location: parish of Fertagh.
Rathpatrick -- A castle called Caislean Mhac Oda, in ruins, is near the Laois border, in the townland of Rathpatrick, parish of Erke.
Rochestown -- In Kilcolumb parish, the castle site in this townland is near the south road of the village.
Rochestown castle -- in a townland of the same name was a castle long destroyed which belonged to the Walshes. It stood in the eastern portion toward Mullinivat village. Location: Rathkieran parish.
Rodgerstown castle -- the ruins of Rodgerstown castle lie near Belline House, parish of Fiddown. Belline House was a country manor built by Peter Walsh of Piltown in the late 18th century.
Russelstown -- in the parish of Kilkmenan, at Russelstown townland, is a ruined castle in the "old castle" field.
Sandsfordcourt -- aka Cantwell's court in the parish of Rathcoole. Cantwell's castle, and Cantwell's Court north of the castle are both in ruins. Cantwell, with his mother and dependents, was transferred to Connaught in 1653.
Sart castle -- one stood in Cellat field, so named from the castle cellar still remaining. Location: Townland of Sart, Parish of Ballinamara.
Seskin -- The site of a Butler, Lord Mountgarret, castle is in Seksin proper north-east of Seskin House, in the parish of Aharney. It was taken down in the early part of the 19th century.
Shanchaisleun -- aka old castle, is a small area west of Rossanarra which with its ruined castle still retains its old title. Location: parish of Kilmoganny.
Shanganny castle -- in the townland of the same name, parish of Coolcraheen, on the opposite side of the road from Collaraheen church ruins, is the site of Shanganny castle.
Shankill castle -- located in Shankill townland and parish, Shankill castle was owned by th Toler-Aylward family.
Sheepstown castle -- the site of the castle which belonged to the Rothes until the 17th century is west of the road near the ancient ruined church, located in the townland of Sheepstown, parish of Knocktopher. This was Walsh property and there is a field called Eishe, i.e. Oidhre, heir or successor, which was the title of the next-in-line as Lord of the mountains.
Skart -- mentioned by Carrigan in the parish of Mullinavat.
Smartscastle -- whether there was a castle in this townland is difficult to know. One of the field names here, Seanteach, would seem to indicate the presence of an 'old house' at one time. Location: Dunkitt parish.
Stroan -- A castle and mock tower, both in ruins, are beside the fountain erected by Colonel Bushe in 1766. The Cantwells came to Ireland with Stringbow, They held lands in Rathcoole and Stroan (Kilfane) in 1381 "with a good castle in repair and a water mill" in the latter place. Location: Stroan townland, parish of Kilfane.
Sweetman's castle -- located in Thomastown, this castle, now known as Mullin's castle, sits beside the Big Bridge.
Templeorum castle -- Templeorum, aka Odhran's Church. Odhran was a christian name of the Walshes of the Mountain from which it may have been derived. The ancient church, in ruins, is in the churchyard with many monuments. Templeorum castle site is at the village and the church field is the part of the old graveyard through which the road to the present chapel was cut. Location: parish of Fiddown.
Thomastown -- a number of castles stood within the bounds of the town during the centuries, including one on the north side, at Cody's bridge, which was a MacOdo (Cody alias Archdeacon) castle now destroyed. Other earlier castles including Sweetman's Castle and Brady's Castle.
Threecastles -- Threecastles demesne in Odagh parish was said to be the site of three castles, guarding the fording point on the Nore. A ruined castle along side a church site, with a moat south of these.
Tibberaghney -- Tibberaghney Norman castle, mentioned in the Annals, stands in good repair at the ford mouth on the Suir river. Believed to have been built by Prince John of England circa 1185 it is now the home of the Dolley family, according to O'Kelly. The first half of the 17th century it belonged to the Mountgarret family who forfeited it to Cromwell in 1653. Location: Rathkieran parish.
Tinnaslatty -- Carrigan states that a fort called Dun Chobhthaigh was levelled long before his time. There is a filed called Castlefiled in this townland, parish of Aharney.
Trenchmore castle -- the castle in ruins was Butler property and Colonel John Butler in King James II's army at the Boyne was known as Sean an Chaisleain. Location: parish of Coolaghmore.
Troyswood -- in the townland of the same name, in a subdivision known as Thornback, lies the ruins of a church and castle. Located in the parish of St. Canice the Troy family came into possession of these lands in 1454.
Tubrid castle -- in the townland of the same name is Tubrid castle, still in fair repair, which was Shortel property. Location: Tubridbritain parish.
Tullabarry Castle -- Site of a 13th century motte castle, possibly of the Ragget family. Tullabarry is cited as an ancient name of Ballyragget. Location: parish of Donaghmore.
Tullaher castle -- nothing remains of Tullaher, Ormonde castle, but a grassy mound. Location: Dysartmoon parish.
Tybroughney Castle -- or Tibraghny, near Piltown, on the river Suir, built in 1185 by Prince John of England.
Uppercourt -- this "castle" was the episcopal residence of the pre-Reformation Bishops of Ossory. It stood about 150 yds. to the north of Uppercourt House, and ceased to be inhabited when the House was completed in the early part of the 19th century (Carrigan).
Urlingford castle -- the church and the castle, both in ruins, are north of Urlingford village. The castle was built by the Lords Mountgarret in the 16th century. Location: parish of Sheffin.
Westcourt -- the remains of a castle, erected circa 1350 which belonged to the Butlers of Ormonde stands in this townland, parish of Callan.
White Castle -- aka Castle Whit or Whyte, is north of the road [Ballycocksost townland] to Coolshanboth. Location: Inistioge parish.
Whitescastle -- the name of a townland in Knocktopher parish although there is no mention of a castle.
Whiteshall -- in the parish of Erke is this townland, named for the White family who settled here about 1700. There is a ruined castle and a large rath in the middle of the townland.
List compiled and contributed by Dennis Walsh (copyright 2002).
Alphabetic Townland Index
Kilkenny Past and Present
Page last modified Monday, 13-Jan-2003 17:42:41 MST
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor.
A Special Thanks to Rootsweb for
this web space.