Tullow railway station opened on 1st June 1886. The railway
company was the Great Southern and Western Railway
Tullow Railway Station c.1900
closed to passengers on 27th January 1947 and closed completely on the 15th
June 1959. The station house and part of a wall from the station building
survive. The station site is now a housing estate.
There was a fatal accident at Tullow Station on 21st
November 1901. Shortly after leaving that station the fireman noticed that
there was no driver. Having stopped the train he walked back along the track
where he found the driver. It would appear the driver had got out onto the
footplate to make adjustments while the engine was moving out of the station
and he slipped and fell under the train. He dies the following morning.
Source: Nick Catford
This article below appeared in the Carlow Sentinel 8
Mar 1884 stating that the proposed Extension Railway from Baltinglass to
Tullow is authorised.
Source: Carlow County Library
THE TULLOW EXTENSION RAILWAY
The Great Southern and Western Railway (Tullow
Extension) Bill came before the Examiners of the House of Commons, on
Thursday, for proof of the Standing Order, which was shown to have been
complied with. The bill authorises the company to extend their railway
from Baltinglass to Tullow, and provision is made for the payment by the
baronies of interest at the rate of 4 per cent, on the sum of £60,000.
It is proposed to raise under the bill a sum of 80,000 by the issue of