Colonel Bunbury, of Moyle, has presented the
Rev. J.B. Magennis, the Rector of Rathvilly, with the sum of £500,
as his subscription towards the repairs and improvement of the
Parochial Church of Rathvilly.
This munificent donation reflects credit on
the kind and generous donor, who thus secures encreased
accommodation in the Parochial Church of his ancestors.
CAPTAIN M'CLINTOCK BUNBURY, M.P. -- We are
gratified to learn that Captain Bunbury, who was ill from influenza
in London, is in a state of convalescence, and will in a few days be
able to attend his parliamentary duties.
April 22, 1849.
CAPTURE OF TWO SHEEP-STEALERS.
About four o'clock on the morning of the 19th
April 1849, two notorious characters, named James Kehoe and James
Nolan, were arrested by Constable Cox and a party of Constabulary,
while on patrol in the vicinity of the town.
They were concealed on the Railway, having in
their possession the carcases of three sheep, which were
subsequently identified as the property of Captain B. McClintock
Bunbury, M.P., and had been killed on the lands of Moyle.
The prisoners, who are professional
sheep-stealers, were fully committed by C.H. Tuckey, Esquire,
Resident Magistrate, to abide their trial at the ensuing Quarter
Much credit is due to Constable Cox and his
party for the capture of two of a gang who live by the plunder of
the gentry and farmers of the neighbourhood.
May 5th 1849.
CAPTURE OF A SHEEP-STEALER.
On Thursday, Patrick Lucas, a notorious
sheep-stealer who absconded some weeks since, was committed to the
county gaol by Charles H. Tuckey, Esquire, Resident Magistrate.
Lucas was one of the gang concerned in
killing two sheep, the property of Captain B. McClintock Bunbury,
M.P., and escaped the morning of the capture of his companions; he
was pursued to England by Constable Cox, who, following closely in
his track, arrested Lucas near Grantham.
Much credit is due to this active constable
for his zeal and activity in effecting the capture of the last of
this gang of marauders.
Purcell Papers 1849.
Surnames mentioned: Hutton, Tuckey, Watters,
Elliott, Haughton, McMahon, Dowse, McMullen, Anderson, Fitzgerald,
Johnson, Cummins, Dunne, Corrigan, Casey, Cummins, Coffey, Morris,
Hanlon, Birkett, Nolan, Kenny, Hughes, Watson, Kenny, Lucas, Smyth,
Kehoe, Purcell, Coxe, Byrne, Brennan, Crosby, Burgess, McClintock
Bunbury, and Lawlor.
1949, Sheep, Cow and Flour stealers.
The Carlow Sentinel.
June 23rd 1849.
CARLOW QUARTER SESSIONS.
The sessions for the division of Carlow were
opened on Monday last, by Henry Hutton, Esquire, Assistant Barrister.
His worship was assisted in the criminal
business by Charles H. Tuckey, Resident Magistrate, Henry Watters,
Samuel Elliott and Thomas Haughton, Esquires.
The following gentlemen were sworn on the
Major McMahon, foreman: Thomas Dowse, Richard
McMullen, Geroge William Anderson, Edward M. Fitzgerald, Stanley
Johnson, John Cummins, Richard Dunne, William Corrigan, John Casey,
Owen Cummins, A. Coffey, James Morris, John Hanlon, Henry Birkett,
Garret Nolan, Robert Kenny, James Hughes, James Watson and Robert
CONVICTION OF THREE SHEEP STEALERS.
Three men, named James Nolan, Patrick Lucas
and James Kehoe, were indicted for having, on the night of the 19th of
March 1849, on the lands of Moyle, killed and carried away three
sheep, the property of Captain William B. McClintock Bunbury, Esquire,
*~~ Mr James Smyth being sworn, proved that on
finding the skins, etc., of the sheep on the field, he noticed one of
them, which had the tail attached to it, and which exactly
corresponded with one of the carcases found in the police barrack at
Carlow; the remaining skins and carcases also corresponded, so that he
felt no hesitation in identifying them as the property of Captain
Constable Coxe proved that he saw the
prisoners coming in the direction from Moyle, about 4 o'clock on the
following morning, with the carcases of the sheep tied up in three
bags, and that on seeing him two of the prisoners made off, leaving
Kehoe, whom he arrested; he afterwards arrested Nolan in his bed, and
Lucas, who absconded, he arrested in Grantham, in England, where Lucas
made a declaration of his guilt before the mayor of the town, and a
Justice of the Peace.
Mr Tuckey deposed to a declaration made by
James Nolan on the morning of his being arrested, stating that he
(Nolan) together with Lucas and Kehoe did on the night of the 19th of
March 1849, kill and take off the lands of Moyle three sheep, the
property of Captain Bunbury.
The prisoners were found guilty and were
sentenced to seven years' transportation.
Mr Burgess appeared for Kehoe, one of the
Joseph Brennan pleaded guilty to stealing a
cow, the property of Mr Kenny of New Garden, Carlow. He was sentenced
to seven years' transportation.
TUESDAY - Second Day.
Martin Purcell and a young lad named Thomas
Crosby were indicted for taking a bag of flour from, and with
assaulting a young lad named Thomas Byrne; they were found guilty, and
sentenced to 12 months imprisonment in Carlow Gaol.
The Carlow Sentinel.
16th July 1849.
A few weeks since Mr. George W. Anderson, of
this town, lost a sum of £700, which it was generally believed was
dropped on the Railway. Large rewards had been offered, but without
On yesterday however, a servant, while
brushing an outside coat felt something like a small parcel at the
bottom of the coat, protected only by the lining.
On further examination, the above sum was
found; the parcel, it appears, having fallen through the pocket, and
was carefully deposited on the seam between the cloth and the lining.
It is unnecessary to add, that we feel
peculiar pleasure in detailing the particulars of this fortunate
Transcribed by M. Purcell c2012
December 1st 1849
The County Carlow and Leighlin Diocesan Auxiliary to
The Irish Society
On December 1st 1849, The Carlow
Sentinel’s Local Intelligence column reported on the “Annual Meeting
Of The County Carlow And Leighlin Diocesan Auxilliary To The Irish
Society”. There had actually been two meetings, held the previous week
in the Assembly Rooms in Carlow Town, one in the morning (or
forenoon), the other in the evening. Among the main speakers were the
Rev. Thomas Moriarty from Ventry and the Rev John N Griffin from
Harold’s Cross, Dublin.
‘At the morning meeting, on the motion of
Captain McClintock Bunbury, MP, seconded by the Rev J. S. Cooper,
Colonel Bruen, MP, Vice-President, was called to the chair. The
meeting opened with singing and prayer’.
The Rev. JP Garrett commenced proceedings
by reading a letter from William D Hull, hon sec of the Irish Society,
which stated that the Carlow Auxiliary contributed more than any other
auxiliary in the previous year. A letter was also received from Lady H
Kavanagh enclosing a draft of £10 for the Auxiliary and £2 for the
Protestant Orphan Society. The Rev. Garrett then turned to ‘the awful
pestilence which swept through their town within a few months.
They stood as it were over the graves of
five hundred of their fellow creatures who a short time since enjoyed
the same life and health as they did that day, and how grateful to
Almighty God they should feel for all his mercies, when they were
spared, while so many were struck down by the fearful visitation. He
then proposed that the Words of Divine Truth upon which salvation
depended should be conveyed to Ireland’s ‘poor benighted countrymen
through the medium of their own language’ a language so dear to the
heart of the Irish (hear, hear). He begged to remind the meeting that
66,000 of the Irish-speaking people of Ireland die yearly, hitherto
neglected, without Christ or a knowledge of the true way of salvation.
The Irish Society had extended itself
into 16 counties, had 63 auxiliaries, 823 schools and teachers, above
33,000 scholars, and had distributed about 30,000 Bibles, Testaments
and Elementary Books in the Irish language during the past year. He
concluded with an earnest appeal on behalf of the Society.
Captain Bunbury then proposed the
‘That we rejoice to hear of the continual
and increasing disposition of the Irish speaking population to receive
Scriptural instruction in their own language, and of the success with
which it has pleased God to accompany the operations of the Irish
Society during the past year. We are strengthened in our convictions
that the principles and proceedings of this Society are eminently
calculated to meet the great Spiritual wants of the Irish speaking
population, and we confidently affirm that without the free use of
God’s Holy Word and sound Scriptural instruction, our country never
can be prosperous and happy.
We therefore, are determined in God’s
strength to continue our support of this Society both by our fervent
prayers and contribution, and we earnestly entreat our English
brethren to give us more efficient aid to carry out this work of love
and mercy on our native land’.
Echoing a sentiment my father would
empathize with, the Rev. Thomas Moriarty took up the argument. ‘The
Irish were the most religious people in the world and if, at the
Reformation, the Holy Scripture had been expounded to them in their
native language, Ireland would not now be a disunited people,
inveigled in ignorance and sin, but would enjoy the freedom which
shone so conspicuous ion England and Scotland’. [The Carlow Sentinel,
1832 -1920, Local Studies Department, Carlow Central Library.]
Note from Michael Purcell 2012
In 1570 Queen Elizabeth 1 commissioned the first ever printing of
the Bible and other religious tracts in the Irish language. During her
recent vist the present Queen Elizabeth viewed one of the books in
Trinity College. It was said that Elizabeth 1 spoke Irish to the Irish
chieftains when they called on her in London in 1562.
Reopening Of Rathvilly Church
On December 15th 1849, The Carlow
Sentinel reported on the ‘Reopening Of Rathvilly Church’. On Sunday,
the 2nd instant, the Parish Church of Rathvilly was reopened for
divine service, having been closed for extension and improvement
during several months when the Hon and Ven Archdeacon Stopford
preached an appropriate sermon on the occasion. A lathe addition has
been built to this chapel, principally in the ‘Tudor style’ of
architecture, and is capable of affording ninety new sittings. It
consists of transept and recessed chancel, with vestry entrance and
porches. The external appearance of the edifices presents those
peculiar features of English Church architecture, not only in the
construction of the new work, but also by the introduction of suitable
tracery windows into the old portion of the building, which gives the
entire a finished appearance.
The interior is fitted up in a style
corresponding with the exterior. The pulpit is made of old Irish oak,
beautifully panelled and enriched with elaborately carved figures and
foliage ornaments. The reading desk is also tastefully adorned with
rich Gothic trancery, as are also the chancel, ceiling and walls,
especially the ceiling which, after an elegant design, is formed of
ribbed oak. The architect was the late Daniel Robertson, Esq, an
eminent Scotchman, whose designs were chaste and original, and his
views were ably carried out by Mr Kingsmill, the well-known and
The funds for this enlargement so
necessary to accommodate the increasing congregation of the parish was
raised by subscription, through the active, and we may add, the
unceasing effort of the worthy rector, the Rev. J.B. Magennis. Among
the subscribers we may allude to Colonel Bunbury, whose munificent
donations amounted to £500. The county members subscribed largely;
also the Hon. Wingfield Stratford, the Messrs Duckett and Hutchinsons,
and many others who must feel a pride in contemplating a work
dedicated to the service of the Almighty, while affording a
praiseworthy encouragement to the unprecedented exertions and
well-directed zeal of the rector, who first proposed the enlargement
of the church. Well might the venerable preacher, when addressing a
crowded congregation on the auspicious occasion referred to, remark
that Protestant zeal or feeling was not on the decline while such
edifices exhibited the zeal and piety of those who assisted in its
On Sunday night last, about ten o'clock,
a body of about 300 men, many of them armed,
followed by 130 horses and cars, proceeded to Rathmore, where a
man named Fenlon holds a farm of sixty acres from John Leonard, Esq.,
This formidable body carried off the produce of twenty acres of corn,
in the presence of the agent, who lives on the spot, and his
assistants, and also of a party of police.
On the following morning it was ascertained that the corn was
stacked at Ardristan and on a farm near Kilbrid; the agent seized on
it, and place it in the charge of bailiffs. - Carlow Sentinel.
Publication: Nation 1842-1897; Date: Sep 22, 1849; Section: None;
This information was transcribed and
supplied by Susie Warren c.2014
Michael Purcell <email@example.com>
in Carlow 1849.
in the Pat Purcell Papers on the headed notepaper of Thomas Crawford
Butler, Attorney, published in the Limerick Chronicle of September
1849 and later published in the Carlow Sentinel, September 1849.
letter from Carlow received this morning at the Limerick Chronicle
says:-----I write to say I am yet spared through one of the most awful
scenes ever witnessed here.
cholera has been most dreadful. This week "hundreds" died.
most awful on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
and grave yards are all crammed with dead bodies, and a new grave yard
was this day opened by Colonel Bruen.
Burgess, the Attorney, the two Misses Hodges, Mrs McDowell, Mr Richard
White, and Mr Hackett, are amongst the dead; also Mrs Kehoe, and the
son of Mr Pat Oliver.
exceeded 100 daily, and a dozen bodies were interred together in one
added by Michael Purcell 2014 - The Bruen " new grave yard" referred
to in the letter, was opened alongside the Old Graves on the Barrow
which now joins Shaw Park the remainder of the plot was dug up to
build the Gas Works in Montgomery Street (later Jim Brennan's Meat
Porter, Medical Officer to the Board of Guardians in Carlow, later
went on record to state "this letter is an exaggerated report, as the
deaths recorded in Carlow are 137 in August and 61 from the Cholera
and 50 deaths with cause not diagnosed, to the present day of 12th
back of the letter Pat Purcell wrote " this letter may have been sent
from Ellen Bolger who acted as record-keeper for Thomas Crawford
Butler and who herself died aged 28 that same month.
On the 1st
September 1849 the wife, Sera Barbour and two children, John and Anne
of my great-grandfather, Sam Snoddy, died from the Cholera and were
buried, without his knowledge, in Knockaunnarelic burial site in
Pollerton Little. Account of this event is recorded in "The
Cursed Famine" on the Carlow IGP website.]
Please report any images or broken links which do not open to
- The information contained in these
pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others
researching their ancestors in Ireland.
- © 2001 County Carlow Genealogy