Vermillion County Indiana Genealogy
Switzer CemeteryHighland Township
I cut and pasted from the original and added that below the stone listing to show the relationship of those buried there. My Uncle believes there used to be a stone for an "American Revolutionary Soldier" but does not recall the name. I did not find the stone.
It is located on the West side of Foster Road about 1-1/2 miles south of Highway 136. It can also be reached by going west on the road just north of Interstate 74 from new Highway 63 to the first road to the North. It is about 1/4 mile north of the intersection. Transcribed in the summer of 2001 by Ron Jumps. The chart below shows the general location of the stones as found.
1. John A. Switzer July 10, 1845 Nov 26, 1910
Hulda E. Switzer his wife April 26, 1849 Jan 4, 1918
2. James W. Jan 25, 1873 Oct 27, 1881
Marion R. Sep 23, 1875 Aug 17, 1877
John E. Jan 3, 1878 Nov 17, 1881
Children of J. A. & H. E. Switzer
3. Hiram Smith CO. C 12 ILL INF (On front of stone.)
73 yr 6 m & __ (On back of stone.)
It is a Government stone that has partially broken off.
[There is space between Hiram and Peter that could be the grave of Mary Ann, Hiram's wife.]
4. Peter Smith May 5, 1839 Feb 4, 1881
[Brother of Hiram]
5. W. P. Hunter Nov 18, 1854 Apr 27, 1932
Rosa A. His wife Oct 23, 1856 Mar 1, 1905
"At rest in the Lord"
Lida M. Dau of W. P. & R. Hunter Aug 21, 1887 Oct 16, 1889
"Gone but not forgotten"
6. "Lida" inscribed on top of stone.
7. Pvt. Earl Ray Hunter 1896 1918
8. Hester A. Dau of W & N Switzer Aged _______ Feb 19, 1846
Rebecca Dau of W & N Switzer 1 yr 9 mo & 4 days Feb 19, 1852
Lavisa Dau of W & N Switzer 1 yr 2 mo & 10 days Feb 5, 1858
9. Hester A. Dau of Wesley & Nancy Switzer Aged ____ Died ____
10. Lavisa 1 yr 9 mo 10 days Feb 5, 1858
Top of stone is broken off.
11. Sarah E. Wife of William Switzer 26 yr 5 mo 15 dys July 11, 1880
Della M. Dau of W. H. & S. E. Switzer 5 yr 5 mo 15 days Jan 15, 1880
12. Wm. H. Switzer CO. F 13 IND INF
(It is a Government stone)
13. Peter Switzer 75 yr 6 mo & 5 days Nov 14, 1844
Mary Wife of Peter Switzer 71 yr 6 mo & 23 days Nov 26, 1849
14. Wesley Switzer Mar 24, 1821 Mar 4, 1904
15. Nancy Wife of Wesley Switzer 58 yr 8 mo & 28 days April 10, 1882
NOTE: For your information the relationships of those buried there are as follows:
1. Peter Switzer and wife Mary Ann Hoover at stone # 13 are the patriarch and matriarch.
2. Wesley Switzer at stone # 14 is their son. Wesley's wife Nancy Henderson at stone # 15 is the daughter of William G. Henderson and Hester A. "Ester" Foster.
3. William H. Switzer at # 12 is a son of Wesley Switzer and Nancy. He was born 17 Aug 1843 and died 3 Jan 1916. His wife at # 11 is Sarah E. Ellenbarger.
4. Hester A., Rebecca and Lavisa at stones # 8, 9 & 10 are daughters of Wesley Switzer and Nancy.
5. Rosa A. Switzer at stone # 5 is a daughter of Wesley Switzer and Nancy. Her husband is William P. Hunter a son of David Hunter and Elizabeth Atchinson. Lida at Stone # 6 is the same as Lida M. on the stone with her parents.
6. Earl Ray Hunter at # 6 is a son of Rosa and William P. Hunter.
7. Hiram Smith at stone # 3 was born April 1841 and died 26 Jul 1913. He married Mary Ann Switzer (born 9 Jun 1841 and died 19 June 1927) who is a daughter of Wesley Switzer and Nancy. Hiram is a son of Samuel Smith and Sussannah.
8. John A. Switzer at stone # 1 is a son of Wesley Switzer and Nancy. His wife is Hulda Emmaline Galyean and is a daughter of James William Harvey Galyean and Elizabeth E. Barnes.
My Grandmother, Ida Mamee Switzer was the only surviving child of John A. Switzer and Hulda. The land upon which the cemetery is located was purchased from the government by John Switzer, Peter's son, and Peter then purchased it from John whom moved to Wisconsin.
This diagram is not to scale and shows stones as numbered in transcription.
|Copyright ©1996-2018 INGenWeb Project
Material that is copyrighted by others appears with permission, or is used under the provisions of fair use.
The copyrights of any contributor's material remain with the contributor.