Liberty Township, Hendricks County, Indiana
NW ¼ of the SW ¼ of Sec 1, T14N R1W
Visited July 13, 2005, revisited June 2006
Directions: This cemetery is on the southeast side of 200E,
directly south of the turn where 200E finally goes north out of Belleville.
The Belleville Christian Church was recently built at that corner. The cemetery
is directly east behind the church. There is one stone remaining in
thick thorn bushes.
N39°40.829’ W86°29.088’ or
There is a single stone in the woods surrounded by thorn bushes.
The stone reads “Jane Ungles/Aged 32 Years.” There are no indications
of how large the cemetery was originally. Previous records say that
the other stones were removed in the 1930s. This was probably a small
family cemetery. There were Ungles in Belleville during the 1840 and 1850
censuses, but no record of Jane. A different story is that Jane Ungles
was the wife of a man passing along US 40. She died and her husband
asked a farmer to let him bury her there. If this is true, it is strange
that she would not have just been buried in the Belleville Town Cemetery.