This is the sign to the present Foraker. On April 27, 1893, the first freight train ran over the Wabash. It was a west bound freight No. 97; it had only a few cars, old hand brakes, link and pin couplers, and a small engine.
Nels Swanson for the inventor of the coupler that is still used today; my gguncle) On May 30, 1893 the first passenger train was run, eastbound, No. 54. The Foraker Station was opened for business this same year. The year 1893 was the boom year for Foraker. Buildings began to pop up every place, as is only natural for a new town. Noah Yoder erected a new store building on the corner now owned by H. Weaver. The store has changed hands many times during the history of Foraker. Noah operated a general merchandise store for a while, then Frank Archbolt put in a drug store, later Anthony Meyers had a grocery store, he sold it to P. B. Bolinger, who later sold out to H. S. Weaver. Next to the building; (You can see where they share the same wall in the picture below) Jacob Pletcher put up a store building in about 1895. He put in a stock of shoes, but did not stay in business long. Finally Noah Yoder took possession of this building, enlarging his store by cutting a large door through the walls between the buildings and throwing both rooms into one store. When Yoder sold out, the doorway was again closed up and Wm. Hollar put in a grocery store. (Source: The Foraker Truth, May 1,1925) E
Mr. Miller and Mr. Yoder were the main stays at Foraker in its early history. Miller had a harness shop in the old building that sheltered the first store in Foraker. Miller and Yoder erected a building just south of the little old harness shop and after its completion, put in a stock of buggies and wagons. This building was later remodeled into a church as you can see below. (Source: The Foraker Truth, May 1,1925) E
Going back to about 1894 or 1895, we find the first blacksmith shop just north of the railroad tracks on the west side of Main Street owned by John Detwiler. Detwiler also put up one of the first dwelling houses on the east and west street, third house from the depot east. Detwiler and John O. Blenis put a cider mill next to the blacksmith shop and both did enormous business. Leter Detwiler sold out to Noah Yoder, who run the cider mill two seasons and then sold out to George Werntz, who moved the mill up to where it now stands. (Source: The Foraker Truth, May 1,1925) E
Picture taken in 1937 when it was the George Werntz Cider Mill. Norris's 1928 Model A Ford Roadster stands by the Mill. Sam & Norris Hunsberger at the cider barrels. In 1937, 28,390 gallons of cider was made. (Source: Photo and Info of Charlotte Hess)E
Mr. Detwiler moved to Kempster, WI, also Noah Yoder, Emmanuel Kime, Lorento Kime, Earl Mishler, and Clarence Mishler.
Submitted by email@example.com
Return to Elkhart County, Indiana HomePage
Copyright 2001-2017 Tom Stevens
Tom Stevens / Elkhart, IN
You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since 03/06/01 -- thanks for stopping by!