Cathedral Square Cemetery
The cemetery is located at 1122 S Clinton Street and bounded by Calhoun, Jefferson, Lewis and Clinton Streets. In 1830-31, Father Stephen Badin assisted Catholics of the area in purchasing a large part of what is now known as Cathedral Square. In 1857, Father Benoit laid plans to build a Cathedral. The Cathedral was built over the site of the Miami Indiana burial grounds. Richardville, Chief of the Miami, marker is located here, facing Calhoun Street. (Information from ACGSI)
The listings are in alphabetical order. One surname is listed per stone. If a stone contained multiple people, the names on the stone are listed in order, from left to right. Information that pertains to a single individual is listed after their name. If the information pertains to multiple names, such as a marriage date, it is listed after all the names.
In some instances the stones were very worn and hard to read. The DAR did a reading in 1932 and the Allen County Genealogical Society did a reading in the 1980’s. The information from these readings was used if the stones were unreadable or if the stones were not found.
There is no other information on any person other than what is listed. The photographs are copyrighted by the Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter, NSDAR and may not be copied or published in any way for profit. Copies of the photos may be printed for your personal use only. Please give the Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter, NSDAR credit when documenting where the transcriptions and photos were found.
Jean Baptiste de Richardville, also known as Peshewa ("Wildcat"), was the last chief of a united Miami tribe.
He was born in the village of Kekionga, present-day Fort Wayne, Indiana, to a French merchant named Joseph Drouet de Richerville and Tacamwa, sister of the Miami chief Little Turtle. He was well educated, and could speak Miami, Iroquois, French, and English.
Richardville lived in the Richardville House, in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The federal government donated $600 to the building. Richardville used his own funds towards the house and in 1827 it became the first Greek Revival house in Indiana. Richardville died August 13, 1841.
The Richardville house remained in the family until 1894. The land around it was mined for gravel in the 20th century. In 1991 the house was acquired by the Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society which has restored the remaining property.
In 1857, Father Benoit laid plans to build a Cathedral. The Cathedral was built over the site of the Miami Indian burial grounds. Richardville, Chief of the Miami's, DAR marker is located here, facing Calhoun Street.
The marker reads “Richardville 1761 – 1841. Made Chief of the Miamis for his daring rescue of a white prisoner from burning at the stake.” “Erected by the Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1942”
All of the remains were removed from the Cathedral Square Cemetery and are now located in the Catholic Cemetery, Adams Township. It is not known for sure if Richardville's remains were moved. There is however a tombstone in the Catholic Cemetery in Adams Township. This stone is located in section B of the cemetery.
Here rest the remains
© 2008-2010 Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter NSDAR