Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception Crypt
The crypt cornerstone was laid in 1859, and dedicated in 1860. The crypt is located below the Cathedral of Immaculate Conception. The church is located on Cathedral Square which is bordered by Calhoun, Jefferson, Lewis, and Clinton.
The persons who have the right to burial in the Crypt are Bishops of the Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese.
The listings are in alphabetical order. One surname is listed per stone. If a stone contained multiple people, the names on the stone are listed in order, from left to right. Information that pertains to a single individual is listed after their name. If the information pertains to multiple names, such as a marriage date, it is listed after all the names.
In some instances the stones were very worn and hard to read. The DAR did a reading in 1932 and the Allen County Genealogical Society did a reading in the 1980ís. The information from these readings was used if the stones were unreadable or if the stones were not found.
There is no other information on any person other than what is listed. The photographs are copyrighted by the Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter, NSDAR and may not be copied or published in any way for profit. Copies of the photos may be printed for your personal use only. Please give the Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter, NSDAR credit when documenting where the transcriptions and photos were found.
Presently, the first four ordinaries--Bishops John Henry Luers, Joseph Dwenger, Joseph Rademacher and Herman Joseph Alerding are buried in the crypt. Also buried there are three rectors Msgrs. Julian Benoit, Joseph Brammer and Patrick Roche.
© 2008-2010 Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter NSDAR