L. W. FULTON, M.D. - Page 79 Since 1867 Dr. L. W. Fulton has engaged in the practice of medicine at New Berlin. the old axiom, "Time tests the merit of all things," has been proven in the case of Dr. Fulton, whose skill and ability have been tried for long years. The favorable opinion passed upon him at the outset of his career has in do degree been set aside or modified, but, on the other hand, has been strengthened as time has passed by. He has always kept abreast with the progress that is constantly being made by the medical fraternity and well merits the liberal patronage which is accorded him.
Dr. Fulton is a native of Loudoun county, Virginia, born March 6, 1837. His father, William Fulton, was born in the same county, as was the grandfather of the Doctor. The family is of English lineage and was established in Virginia at an early epoch in the colonial history of America. William Fulton was married in Loudoun county to Miss Mary Elgin, who was also born in that locality. They became the parents of two children: L. W., of this review, and Mary E., who grew to mature years, was married and died in Virginia in 1879. The mother of these children passed away and Mr. Fulton was again married and had three children by the second union, namely: William, Robert and Arthur. Mr. Fulton spent his entire life in his native county and became a representative and influential farmer of that portion of his native state.
The Doctor remained a resident of his native county until seventeen years of age and acquired his preliminary education there. In 1854 he came west to Illinois, locating at Paris, and there he formed the acquaintance of Dr. Shubal York, under whose direction he took up the study of medicine, reading with him for about two years. On the expiration of that period he removed to Kentucky and entered upon the practice of his chosen profession in New Haven, Nelson county. During the winter of 1863-4 he was a student in the Ohio Medical College, after which he returned to New Haven and entered into partnership with Dr. John W. Gore, a relation that was maintained until 1867. Dr. Fulton then came to Illinois, locating in New Berlin, where he resumed the practice of medicine, and soon his patronage covered a wide area. Demands for his professional services came from miles around, and throughout the intervening years, from 1867 to the present time, he has been an active practitioner and one whose skill and ability have been demonstrated in the excellent results that have followed his labors. In 1869 he went to Rush Medical College, where he pursued a course of study and was graduated, and in 1878 he returned to that institution for post-graduate work. Reading and investigation have continually broadened his knowledge and he is today familiar with the most advanced and desirable methods of practice, using his knowledge with good effect for the alleviation of human suffering. In 1869 Dr. Fulton engaged in the drug business in connection with Dr. Price, and, following the dissolution of the partnership in 1871, he carried on the business in connection with his practice for ten years.
Dr. Fulton was married in Sangamon county in April, 1869, to Anna E. King, a native of this county and a daughter of David King, one of the early settlers, who came to Illinois from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Mrs. Fulton was educated in Jacksonville, Illinois, and died on the 5th of March, 1900, her remains being interred in the Jacksonville cemetery. the children born of this marriage are: Anna, the wife of Mason Kinsman, of Chicago, by whom she has a son, Mason Jr.; Charles, who is married and resides in Grayson county, Texas; Percy K., who is connected with journalistic interests in Houston, Texas, and is married and has one child; Lee, who is a student in the Marion Skims Medical College of St. Louis, Missouri; and Archie, who holds a pos9ition in a drug store in New Berlin.
Politically, Dr. Fulton is a stanch Democrat, but the honors and emoluments of office have had little attraction for him, as he has preferred to devote his time to his professional labors. He, however, served on the village board of New Berlin and was its chairman for two years. Fraternally he is connected with the Masonic lodge and the Modern Woodmen of America. His wife was a member of the Baptist Church and the children are identified with the same religious organization. Dr. Fulton has lived a life of great usefulness and has ever kept a high place in the regard of his fellow practitioners as well as of the public, because of his unfaltering fidelity to the ethics of the profession. Everything that tends to bring to man the key to that complex mystery which we call life is of interest to him, and with ready adaptability he has used his knowledge for the benefit of his patients, so that his efforts have been of marked benefit. His social qualities, too, have made him many friends and he is one of the respected and esteemed residents of his adopted county.