PETER C. CAMPBELL. - Peter Cartwright Campbell is one of the most extensive landowners of Sangamon county, his holdings amounting to two thousand acres. His home is on section 7, Chatham township, and is an attractive feature of the landscape. His work has resulted in bringing to him success as his capital at the outset of his career was very, limited, but be has labored earnestly and energetically and as time has advance he has gained a most creditable position in financial circles and moreover deserves the respect of his fellow men because his success has been so worthily won.
Mr. Campbell was born on the farm where he now resides, January 19, 1832, and is a son of John Campbell, who was born in Carter county Tennessee, November 4, 1790. His grandfather, Jeremiah Campbell, was of Scotch descent and was one of the early settlers of Tennessee. He served as a soldier throughout the long conflict with England that brought peace and independence to the American colonies, while his son John was a soldier of the war of 1812, taking part in a number of engagements. The latter came to Illinois in 1817, locating first in Madison county, whence he came to Sangamon county about 1819.
He was married in the former county to Lavina Parkison, a native of Tennessee, who came to Illinois with her father, William Parkison, who settled in Madison county. When Mr. and Mrs. Campbell came to Sangamon county there was but one house in Chatham township and their nearest neighbor was a mile and a half away, across Lick creek. There were many deer, and small game could be bad in abundance. The greater part of the land was still uncultivated and the county gave little promise of its future development and strength. Mr. Campbell preempted a claim, which he afterward entered from the government, and later he purchased more land and improved a large farm, owning four hundred acres of land. He reared his family upon that farm and spent his last years in this county. His wife died in 1853, and he passed away January 30, 1875. There were six children in their family but only two are now living-Peter C., of this review, and Mrs. John Workman.
Peter C. Campbell has such a large circle of friends in Sangamon county and is so popular with them that he is everywhere called "Uncle Peter." He was reared upon the home farm educated in the district schools and remained with his father until he had attained his majority, when he settled upon the farm which is now his home. He was married May 5, 1852 when twenty-one years of age, the lady of his choice being Miss Amanda E. Carson, who was born and reared in Sangamon county, a daughter of John Carson and a sister of W. P. Carson, who is represented on another page of this work. The young couple began their domestic life upon a farm of two hundred and eighty acres received from his father. He has wisely invested the profits of his labor in farming property and is today the owner of about two thousand acres of very valuable land, nearly all in one body. Upon this he has erected a large residence and good barn and he also has eight tenement houses. He has made a business of the raising and feeding of stock for the market, and in his work has been very successful, adding to his capital year by year. He owes his prosperity to his business ability, capable management, strong purpose and laudable ambition. In addition to his land in Illinois be also owns six hundred and sixtyseven acres in Texas and three hundred and twenty acres in Kansas.
Mr. and Mrs. Campbell are the parents of a daughter Mrs. Rachel C. Hunter, a widow, who resides with her parents and she has four sons: John W., who is engaged in farming and resides with his grandfather; Peter J., who is married and resides on the old home place; Charles A. and William D., who are with their mother.
Politically Mr. Campbell is a stanch Democrat, having supported the party since he proudly cast his first ballot for Franklin Pierce in 1852. The honors and emoluments of office have had no attraction for him for his business affairs have claimed his attention, and have brought to him the splendid success which is today his. He is one of the honored pioneers of the county and has witnessed many changes here. Where once were seen the wild deer now large herds of cattle pasture on the meadows, the little pioneer cabins have been replaced by substantial residences and the primitive farm implements have been replaced by improved machinery. Towns and villages have sprung up and the grain is no longer hauled to market in wagons, but is shipped by rail and the work of improvement has been carried forward along all lines until the county today bears little resemblance to that of a half century ago. Mr. Campbell deserves much credit for what he has done in the line of the agricultural development of central Illinois.