History of Arenzville, IL
By Judge J. A. Arenz, Chapter XIV, History of Cass County, Illinois, edited by William Henry Perrin, Chicago, O.L. Baskin & Co. Historical Publishers, 1882.
School-houses and Churches in the School Districts
The eastern portion of the Arenzville Precinct is upland and hilly, and from Arenzville to the river, fine bottom land, interspersed occasionally with sand-ridges. Indian Creek is the main water course, into which the Prairie Creek empties. The bottom lands about Arenzville were covered with the finest body of timber that could be found anywhere. Oak, maple, sycamore, hackberry, and walnut trees, were of such gigantic growth, that many furnished three saw logs, from three to four feet in diameter.
After the population had increased, the precinct was divided, and the western part was named Indian Creek Precinct.*
These precincts contain parts of Town 17-11, nearly all of Town 17.12, and Town 17.13.
In Town 17.11 are the following schoolhouses:
District No. 1. Schoolhouse, also a church near Monroe.
District No. 2. Schoolhouse, also a German Methodist Church.
District No. 3. Two schoolhouses at Arenzville, also three churches.
District No. 4. One schoolhouse, also a Union church.
District No. 5. Schoolhouse, near Springer's.
District No. 6. Schoolhouse near Mathews.
District No. 7. Schoolhouse near Lovekamp's.
District No. 1. Schoolhouse near Teilkemeyer.
District No. 2. Schoolhouse near Wagner.
District No. 3. Schoolhouse near Thomas Wilson.
District No. 4. Schoolhouse near A. Schuman; also a German Methodist and Lutheran church.
District No. 1. Schoolhouse.
District No. 5. Schoolhouse near H. Korsmeyer; also German Lutheran church near Korsmeyer, and a Lutheran church G. H. Jost.
The precinct of Indian Creek was set off from Arenzville, in 1857, but the history of these two precincts (Arenzville and Indian Creek), are so closely interwoven, that the one can hardly be written without the other, and all the history pertaining to Indian Creek, will be found in this chapter. -- Ed.]