Arenzville, IL, ca. 1900
Arenzville, Illinois, ca. 1900
This picture, taken facing west (and slightly southwest) from near the top of the hill in the East Cemetery, shows the town as it appeared around 1900. The school house at the left of the photo was built in 1892. When it burned in 1908, the site was used for Zuschka High School, named after John Zuschka (d. 1843), the man who generously left his property to the school in Arenzville.
Few of the homes shown in this photo remain standing today, but among the surviving structures is the house just to the west of the school.
Photo courtesy of Willard Peck and descendents of Francis Arenz. Additional thanks to Jack Fearneyhough for providing scanning services.