Coin, IA. History
Friends of Page Co. (FOPC©) Genealogy & Family History
Iowa State Flag
Click on Thumbnail for Larger Map!
1895 Page Co., IA. -Click on Thumbnail for Larger Map!
Friends of Page Co.
Coin, Lincoln Twp., Page Co., Iowa

(Click on Thumbnail for Larger Photos...prs)
1902, Coin, IA. 4 Corners! - Click on Thumpnail for Larger Map 2009, Coin, IA. Aerial Photo! - Click on Thumpnail for Larger Map 1902, Coin, IA. 4 Corners! - Click on Thumpnail for Larger Map 2010, Coin, IA. City! - Click on Thumpnail for Larger Map
 Coin, Iowa
Is a small farming community, in the Southwestern corner of Lincoln Township, of Page Co., IA.  Is located at the "4-Corners" of Southeast corner of T-69-N, R-38-W, Tarkio Twp.;   Southwest corner of T-69-N, R-37-W, Nodaway Twp.;   Northeast corner of T-68-N, R-38-W, Lincoln Twp.;   and Northwest corner of T-69-N, R-37-W, Harlan Twp.;  
The Population in July 2000 was 252 persons.
As of the 2000 census, the Population were 252 people, 102 households, 118 housing units, and 68 families residing in the city. The Population in July 2008 was only 198 persons.

Click on Thumpnail for Larger Map  The "Western Improvement Company of Iowa" platted the town of Coin, on Nov. 25 1879, a settlement that began because of the nearness of the first railroad. Coin was one mile South of Snow Hill, and about one mile West of the Tarkio River.  The original was purchased from James K. Polk HUGHES (1844-1926) At the first sale, 64 lots were sold. Coin was incorporated on July 30, 1881.
<---Click on Thumpnail for Larger Map!

Click on Thumpnail for Larger Map Later the Henry LOWN's Addition was added, and last of all, the DOWELL Addition.
East Coin was the first (HUGHES), LOWN was on the South, and DOWELL on the Northeast.
<---Click on Thumpnail for Larger Map!

The first Mayor was Thomas K. BALDWIN.
Isaac "Knute" BUNTING was the first lamp lighter. Kerosene lamps were erected on the streets of the new town.
The settlers from Snow Hill began moving to Coin and Snow Hill was no more.
[I should say that Snow Hill proper was moved around in that vicinity several times as was the school house at Snow Hill. This was done to accommodate the early settlers]

Business began thriving in the new town of Coin. Some workmen coming to the saloon and found a five cent piece and remarked it would be a-good name for the town. Hence, the town was called Coin.
(The old saloon was where the old brick building telephone office was.)

The town of Coin was constructed entirely of wood, and the north side of Coin burned completely down at the turn of the century. All of the businesses were destroyed. Mr. Milo HATCH one of two early brick layers who had his own kiln in Coin, Blanchard, and Clarinda, made the red bricks which replaced the wooden buildings. The other towns also have bricks from his kilns. He had bought out a brick kiln. (From R. E. Switser)

Later a fire station was built [SW corner Crooks & 1st St.] with its own firebell. The first fire equipment was a pump which had four men, two on each side, pumping water. The men were volunteers. Later a two-wheeled rig was used, with a hose on two wheels It was first pulled manually to the town fires, There were many fires in those days. Today (1976) Coin has two fire trucks, water wagon & and a rescue unit.

The Wabash Railroad was completed in 1878. Stock yards soon sprang Up. The Chicago, Burlington and Quincy came Soon after, and Coin was on the map. The Irish were reported to have built the Wabash, and the Swedes the C.B. & Q.
Wooden building's on South side of Main St., Coin, IA., Click on Thumpnail for Larger Map Street scene at K Street, Coin, IA., Click on Thumpnail for Larger Map Wooden building's on North side of Main St., Coin, IA., Click on Thumpnail for Larger Map
Coin, IA. Aerial Scene, Click on Thumpnail for Larger Map Coin Grain Company, Coin, IA., Click on Thumpnail for Larger Map Coin Cafe, Coin, IA., Click on Thumpnail for Larger Map


Coin Church's
Churches and a school followed on the heels of the incorporation. Three churches were served, Methodist Episcopal, United Presbyterian, & Free Methodist These were all during the first year.
Click on Redball for More Info. Click on Redball for More Info.<--- 1. The Methodist Episcopal Church, in 1880 [1902 at corner 2nd & Crooks] Cost $2,300 to build. It was re-placed by a new one with a new parsonage in the early 1960's. The church bell was purchased in 1881. It was first used to sound fire alarms, and toll the years of the dead, as well as serving congregational worship.

Click on Redball for More Info. 2. The United Presbyterian soon followed, and


3. The Free Methodist, a conservative church.
The old Free Methodist Church was erected on the Kenneth ADAMS property or thereabouts, and was used for a converted school for at while called the "Sheepshed". Later it was moved to where it now stands, on the Jarnes BOLIN property (Elevator)


Cemeteries:
Click on Redball for More Info.<--- Snow Hill Cemetery [In Sec. 19] was soon replaced by one south of the town, in Colfax Twp., [Sec. 6] and was called the Click on Redball for More Info.<--- Elmwood Cemetery. Both Snow Hill and Elmwood Cemeteries are in existence today. [1976]
 Note: Snow Hill cemetery, sence then has been abandoned. ..prs


 Some Earley Coin School's
1880 Click on Thumbnail for Larger Photo
c1880
1905 Click on Thumbnail for Larger Photo
c1905
1920 Click on Thumbnail for Larger Photo
c1920
2008 old Coin School Click on Thumbnail for Larger Photo
2008
 E-Mail: Wed, July 4, 2012 At: 12:42:29 AM, PSTime
 This Photo was previous listed as taken in 1985, this is not correct.
 This Photo is from the Personal Collection of Joleene Naylor, at joleene@joleenenaylor.com
 My Photo , the last one is labeled as 1985, but this is incorrect. The photo was taken in 2008 (I am the one who took it)
 In 1985 the dugouts were not painted like that - those were done in the late 90's when the betterment committee tried to revitalize the town. the grain company photo and coin cafe are also from 2008.

The First School House
was constructed in 1880 at a cost of $1,200. Later [c1905] an addition was made, making it a two story structure. It was divided into four departments. South of the school was the converted "Sheepshed", the original Free Methodist, Church, It housed the fifth and sixth graders. The first teacher was a Miss Lucy CLARK. At first she taught in one room. The four room structure soon alleviated the over-crowded situation, More teachers were hired and the red school building was built in 1909, made of bricks, It had eight rooms, and eleven grades were classed. The first teachers were local girls, several of whom had taught the country schools, Some of the earliest were: (From May Fish)
Zina Whitney Anderson, Fannie Worley, Mabel Kent King, Josie Woodworth, Ella Eberle, Dale Buchtel, Etheyn Rowan Murphy
The first, 12th grade graduating class was in 1909.
Click on Redball for More Info.<--- See: Lincoln Twp., for School Disticts.
 1883-4, 9 Students:
 1888-9, 3 Students:
 1890-1, 12 Students:
 1891-2, 11 Students:
 1894-5, 1 Students:
 1895-6, 7 Students:
 1896-7, 15 Students:
 1897-8, 1 Students:
 1898-9, 6 Students:
 1899-1906, 9 Students:
 1900-1, 6 Students:
 1901-2, 8 Students:
 1902-3, 7 Students:
 1903-4, 11 Students:
 1904-5, 15 Students:
 1905-6, 18 Students:
 1906-7, 10 Students:
 1907-8, 2 Students:
 1908-9, 11 Students:
 1909-10, 11 Students:


  The First Postmaster
in Coin was A. G. BACON, J. A. DELK started a hotel and catering service, Later the "Arnold Hotel" was opened. The first Coin resident was S. J. OHL, and he luckily was a carpenter. Perpetual care was initiated in 1942 by mayors Lee COWGER and Mayne WHITMORE. Around 1904 electricity was introduced into the town, and water was piped in in 1907. By the end of 1907, the town could boast electricity, water, telephone, and the telegraph. The first automobile appeared in the early 1900's, The DAVIDSON and BENEDICT families both owned these vehicles,

 In the early 1900's Coin could boast over 800 citizens.
Coin Business - Click on Thumpnail for Larger Map  Over the years, Coin had the following Mercantiles:
 2 Hotels, 2 Barber Shops, 3 Livery Stables, several dry goods Stores, several Grocery Stores, 3 Milliners, 1 Jewelry Store (Arnolds), 2 Lumber Yards, 2 Railway Stations, 1 Cheese Factory, 1 Broom Factory, 1 Printers Shop (The Eagle), 5 Doctors, 1 Dentist, 2 Banks, 2 Produce Stations, 1 Grist Mill, 1 Shoemaker, 1 Harness Maker, 1 Iron Foundry, 2 Blacksmiths, 1 Brick Kiln, 2 Drug Stores, 1 Insurance Office, 1 Undertaker, 1 Tinner, 2 Hardware Stores, 1 Post Office, 1 Telephone Office, 1 Telegraph Office, 2 Garages, 1 Furniture Store, 1 Implement Store, 1 Bakery, 1 House Mover, 1 Coal Mine,


G.A.R. Officers - Click to see Larger Photo! Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.)
 Page, Post No. 65

 Coin, Lincoln Twp., Page County, Iowa
<---Click on Thumbnail for Larger Photo!
Page Post of G. A. R., No 65, Was organized November 1, 1881, by eleven [11] members. The first 1881 Officers were:
 Rank  Name
 Comments
 # 1. Post Commander:
G.A.R. Officer Capt. PALMER - Click to see Larger Photo!
 Capt. John H. PALMER, 43yrs,
 b. Oct. 10, 1838, NY. ~ d. Nov. 15, 1902, 64yrs IA.
 bd. Elmwood Cemetery, Coin, Iowa
Click on RedBall for More Info. on this Source<--- (See: FOPC© Section IV, Row 3, Lot 12)
 [Created by: Paul R. Sarrett, Jr., Dec 01, 1996]
Click on FAGrave Memorial for More Info. <---See: Find A Grave Memorial# 15705348
 [Created by: Bev, Sep 11, 2006]

 Co. A, of 156th New York, Infantry
 Enlisted on 13 Aug 1862, 22yrs, New Paltz, NY as a Sergeant.  Mustered in: 17 Nov 1862, 156th, NY.;  Mustered Out: 23 Oct1865, Augusta, GA.
 Promoted: 1st Sergt 2/5/1864
 Promoted: 1st Lieut 4/1/1864 (As of Co. D)
 Promoted: Capt 7/21/1864 (As of Co. C)
 Intra Regimental Company Transfers:
 01 Apr 1864 from company A to company D
 21 Jul 1864 from company D to company C
 This Regiment saw much active service, being connected with the Department of the Gulf under General Banks. The command took part in the siege of Port Hudson and in the Red River campaign and in 1864 joined general Sheridan in the Shenandoah Valley, Participating in the battles of Winchester and Cedar Creek. Subsequently the troops went to Savannah, where they did Guard duty.
 Soon after entering the service he was promoted to orderly Sergeant, Later was Commissioned First Lieutenant on the 19th of March, 1864 and on the 11th of July the same year received a Captains Commission. After being at Savannah for a short time he was placed in charge of 20 picked men doing guard duty on the Savannah river in charge of transports, Captain Palmer was living at a place known as Austins Mill, Near Coin, Iowa at the time of his death.
 # 2. Senior Vice
     Commander:
 Capt. Mortimer NEELY, 47yrs
 (#3, 2nd Son of: James NEELY & Mother: Sabina ARNOLD)
 b. Mar 1834 NY. ~ d. 1921, IA. 87yrs
 b. Cato, Cayuga, NY. ~ d. Coin, Page Co., IA.
 Bookkeeper in 1880; Landlord in 1900; Retired 1910,20
 bd. Snow Hill Cemetery, Lincoln Twp., IA.
Click on RedBall for More Info. on this Source<--- (See: FOPC© "Double", Row 16, Lot 6)
 [Created by: Paul R. Sarrett, Jr., Dec 01, 1996]
Click on FAGrave Memorial for More Info. <---See: Find A Grave Memorial# 15705348
 [Created by: Bev, Sep 11, 2006]

 He married in 1879, Page Co., Iowa to:
 Miss Etta MONROE, (1857-1923, 67yrs)
Click on FAGrave Memorial for More Info. <---See: Find A Grave Memorial# 43757785
 [Created by: Ron Livengood, 10/31/2009]

 1. Son: James M. NEELY, (b.&d. 1881)
 Co. C, Brackett's Batt., Minnesota Cavalry
 Soldier's Rank In: 2nd Lt. ~ Soldier's Rank Out: Capt.
Companies "A," "B" and "C" organized at Fort Snelling, Minn., as 1st, 2nd and 3rd Companies, Minnesota Light Cavalry, September to November, 1861. Ordered to Benton Barracks, Mo., November, 1861, and attached to Curtis Horse, an Independent Regiment of Cavalry, which was later designated 5th Iowa Cavalry. Assigned as Companies "G," "I" and "K." Duty at Benton Barracks, Mo., till February, 1862. Moved to Fort Henry, Tenn., February 8-11. Served unassigned, Dept. of the Tennessee, to November, 1862. District of Columbus, Ky., 13th Army Corps, Dept. of the Tennessee, to December, 1862. District of Columbus, Ky., 16th Army Corps, Dept. Tennessee, to June, 1863. 1st Brigade, Turchin's 2nd Cavalry Division, Army of the Cumberland, to October, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, Cavalry Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to December, 1863. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, Cavalry Corps, Army Cumberland, to January, 1864.
 # 3. Junior Vice
     Commander:
 T. R. SHAW,  
 # 4. Quarter Master:  Daniel POLSLEY,  
 # 5. Surgeon:  A. T. RICE  
 # 6. Chaplain:  N/A ,  
 # 7. Officer of the Day:  N/A  
 # 8. Officer of the Guard:  N/A  
 # 9. Adjutant:  N/A,  
 # 10. Patriotic Instructor:  N/A  
 # 11. Sergeant Major:  N/A  
 # 12. Q.M. Sergeant:  N/A  
 # 13. Delegate to
     State Encampment:
 N/A  
 # 14. Alternate:  N/A  
 The present [June 1st, 1890] number of the Post is forty-six [46]
 The present [1890] Officers are:
 Rank  Name
 Comments
 # 1. Post Commander:  Thomas H. BALDWIN,  
 # 2. Senior Vice
     Commander:
 S. P. CASE,  
 # 3. Junior Vice
     Commander:
 J. H. PALMER,  
 # 4. Quarter Master:  J. GEMBLE/GAMBLE,  
 # 5. Surgeon:  T. R. SHAW,  
 # 6. Chaplain:  N/A ,  
 # 7. Officer of the Day:  N/A  
 # 8. Officer of the Guard:  N/A  
 # 9. Adjutant:  N/A,  
 # 10. Patriotic Instructor:  N/A  
 # 11. Sergeant Major:  N/A  
 # 12. Q.M. Sergeant:  N/A  
 # 13. Delegate to
     State Encampment:
 N/A  
 # 14. Alternate:  N/A  

 Patrons of Page Co., NorthWest Plat Book - 1902
 Lincoln Township, Page Co., Iowa
 Last  Given  Twp.  Sec.  Occupation  P.O.
ANDERSON , Jas. H.  Lincoln  31  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  Coin
ANDERSON , T.O.  Lincoln  33  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  Coin
ANNAN, HENRY  Lincoln  13  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  PAGE CITY
ANNAN, JOHN W.  Lincoln  20  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  Coin
BARNHILL , G.J.  Lincoln  36  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  Coin
BOTHWICK , J.L.  Lincoln  25  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  Coin
BROCK, E.S.  Lincoln  Town  GENERAL BLACKSMITH  Coin CITY
CLAYTON, & Sons  Lincoln  Town  OWNER - LINN BRANCH STOCK FARM  Coin CITY
CORDER , J.E.  Lincoln  16  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  Coin
CRANE, F.W.  Lincoln  Town  OWNER - Coin ELEVATOR  Coin CITY
CROSTHWAI, A.V.  Lincoln  36  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  Coin
CUTTER , C.D.  Lincoln  17  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  Coin
DAVISON, WILLIAM  Lincoln  31  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  Coin
DRAPER , B.V.  Lincoln  Town  FARMER - RETIRED  Coin CITY
DUGAN, S.B  Lincoln  27  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  Coin
GAUSS, Mike  Lincoln  Town  OWNER - DRUGS STORE  Coin CITY
GILLESPIE, J.A. [Dr.]  Lincoln  Town  PHYSICIAN/SURGEON  Coin CITY
HANDORF, Fredrick, Jr.  Lincoln  15  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  YORKTOWN
HANDORF, Herman H.  Lincoln  10  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  YORKTOWN
HART , CHARLES  Lincoln  31  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  Coin
HART , SAMUEL M.  Lincoln  36  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  COLLEGE SPRINGS
HERRON , J.K.  Lincoln  Town  OWNER - HARDWARE/BUGGIES/IMPLE  Coin CITY
MANIFOLD , F.M.  Lincoln  19  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  Coin
MANIFOLD , S.C.  Lincoln  20  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  Coin
MANNASMIT, WILLIAM A.  Lincoln  15  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  Coin
PALMER , J.H.  Lincoln  29  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  Coin
ROSE , Ed F.  Lincoln  Town  OWNER - LUMBER & GRAIN DEALER  Coin CITY
RUNYAN , JOHN L.  Lincoln  28  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  Coin
SHOWERS, J.A. & Co.  Lincoln  Town  OWNER - ROLLER MILL  Coin CITY
SNYDER , JOHN  Lincoln  16  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  Coin
SNYDER , W.F.  Lincoln  15  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  Coin
VanARSDOL, Luther  Lincoln  Town  BANK - of Coin, PRES.  Coin CITY
VINCENT, & HIPSEY  Lincoln  Town  OWNER - LIVERY/FEED  Coin CITY
WHEELER, W.H.  Lincoln  Town  OWNER - GEN. MERCH.  Coin CITY
WILSON , George R.  Lincoln  28  FARMER & STOCK RAISER  Coin

Mr. STRATTON employed many miners and housed them on the East side of town in a row of houses called the "Stratton Row".

The Printers first published "The Eagle". Later Mr. Everett STEWART published the "Coin Gazette" a weekly, and much later The Coin Courier" was printed. Mr. ADAIR was one of the first Printers.

The churches had full time ministers. The town also had its own Jail called the "Red Calaboose", Later appliance stores moved in. Later Ermal WIAR opened an Electric Shop in the 1940'. Recreations came alive in the town. The Odd Fellows (IOOF) built the "Old Opera House" above the BUCHTEL Hardware Store, and the IOOF built above the DELK Store. The town also had a secret organization called "The Klu Klux Klan". The town did not condone this organization. Brick and cement walks replaced the old wooden walks.

Chautauqua came to town in the latter part of the summers, and lecture courses were offered. A band stand was built in the center of the street on the east end of Main Street. A town pump was underneath. Band concerts were performed every Saturday night and Coin had many fine musicians. The Fourth of July celebrations at the Old Reunion grounds north of town, on the Elton VAWTER land, were a time of picnics and patriotic programs. There was a natural spring here, much enjoyed by all. Social clubs were formed and church organizations. The WCTU was very active in the 1920's. Horse shoe was the town sport, and baseball a favorite. Ice hockey in winter, and ice skating parties helped the young people pass the time. Boy Scouts became a favorite with the boys, and Home Guards, Queen Ester, and Standard Bearers kept the church young people busy along with Epworth League, etc.

The Women's Home Missionary Society (WHMS) and the Women's Foreign Missionary Society (WFMS) of the Methodist Church were favorite organizations in the church. WEAVER's Lake afforded much sport in winters. Ice was made and stored there for summer use. Kenneth SHIELDS owns the place-now. Tent shows and oldsters and their "Quilting Bees" kept them busy. Band and orchestra practice every week kept the musicians on their toes.

When the organ grinder came to town, the children would crowd around to see the monkey dance for a few pennies. Gypsies roamed the country, and railroad tramps were asking for their morning and evening handouts.

The town began to set ordinances and make laws. A vigilantes committee was formed in the 1920's. Later a Marshall was appointed by the Mayor. A sexton was also appointed to see to the cemetery. Sometime later a night watchman was appointed because of so many robberies. The Mayor and City Councilmen served as the law commissioners for the town, The first house was the old "Jess STUMP" home, later bought by Wilbur WHITE and now owned by Lloyd GRIFFIN. The Peter YOUNGMARK home was also one of the first houses in Coin. Soon there were many homes.

The school building was built in 1909 and torn down in the 60's, South Page School system was organized and Coin Consolidated School System was at an end. Coin kept the first six grades for awhile, but then the sixth grade was moved to the central system now functioning at College Springs. It was called South Page. Today (1976) the sixth through twelfth grades are bused to College Springs, and the first five grades and kindergarten are bused to Coin and Braddyville. The school buses run from the towns of Coin, College Springs, Blanchard, Shambaugh, and Braddyville. There were not enough children to continue the Coin school system as it was in the early days of consolidation when the buses picked up children of all ages from Coin to a distance of five miles in each direction. The trend continues and less children go to school at South Page now. Times were changing, and the old has to make way for the new in everything. This is not an easy commitment to make in an active bustling town. The depression of the late 20's probably hunt the town the most of all, but it was a blow to lose the high school in Coin. Now community centers around the United Methodist and Presbyterian Churches,

Coin Consolidated School was started in 1921, and had its first graduating class in 1924 with twelve grades. Ten Teachers were employed, and music and science, band, chorus, home economics, typing, physics, athletics, Manual Training, and bookkeeping, etc, were added. After Mr. TALLMAN left, Mr. KEHO, who was helping in the athletic department, took over the job as Superintendent, one which he kept until his retirement. He saw children and grandchildren, and great grand children come under his capable super vision, He retired in the early 1960's, The cost of the high school building was $80,000.

In the early 1930's the gravel road from Coin to Blanchard was constructed, It extended to Highway 2 north, and is to be paved this year (1976). It is the present Highway 208. In the 1960's, a paved road was added to help get Coin "out of the mud". It extended from Highway 71 east to Highway west. It is called J52 road.

Coin has survived five wars, and has served well its country, in each war. The list of servicemen in our cemeteries tell us of this. Coin is a scenic town, overlooking the Tarkio River and it has been the pride of its citizens to uphold the laws of the land, and to support good and clean government.

In 1927, the trestle over the Tarkio River north of Coin had to be replaced as it washed out in a flood. The water backed up almost to the town itself. It came to the Wabash Depot. In the late 1940's the C.B. & Q. railroad was disbanded.

In the 1930's Coin had a traveling library, due to the interest shown in reading. It was in the Dr. Allen H. KING building now gone.

The town had many doctors throughout the years, but two stayed and spent their lives here, The first was Dr. Allen Howard KING, (1852-1928, Buried Elmwood Cemetery, Row 4, Lot 13) and the other Dr. Edward LUKE, (1874-1962, Buried Elmwood Cemetery, Row 3, Lot 9)

Coin had several veterinarians, the best known Dr. BUCHLEITER, and his helper Mr. ANDREWS. Vet Dr.'s SPAULDING, Dr. HOGG, Dr. BALES, and Dr. CONLEY all were resident Doctors at one time or another.

An old time horse doctor, as they were called, was Dr. GILLESPIE; a relative of Mrs, Charles McNERNEY. At present, (1976) Dr. Delors WALLIN is the only occupant as a medical and osteopathic Doctor for the town of Coin.

The early mail carriers had mules or horses to get them through. Homer CORBIT (1862-1943, Elmwood Cemetery, Row 1, Lot 9) and Charles L. HATCH, (1868-1940, Elmwood Cemetery, Row, 3 Lot 15) were early carriers. Later William "Owen" HIXSON, (1898-1974, Elmwood Cemetery, Row 2, Lot 3) Pierce TENHULZEN (1976 the present one) and Arthur ANDERSON, (1868-1948) carried the mails from the Coin Post Office. At this time Coin is to retain its Post Office, but towns under 200 are losing their post offices, another trend of the times and called progress.

The first movies were held in the Arnold Hotel, They were called "Silent" and a player piano was first used. Later Ferne CHAMBERS and Louise HINES were pianists for the movies. In the 1920's Lee COWGER (1878-1947) opened a movie house above the "Buchtel Building".
Then stock was sold for the "Sun Theater" and a movie house was built on Main Street (center of town) and talking pictures began. Mable (1893-1965) and Lenny J. MILLEN (1893-1946) were the managers.

In the History of Page County, it states the "Coin population is wide awake, and has from the first served and maintained good public schools". Coin is proud of its heritage. It has sent out Ministers, Deaconesses, Politicians, School administrators, Teachers, Lawyers, Musicians, Scientists, Professors, and many in military and other facets of life.

Pastors in the early church include:
Rev. WOODWORTH, Rev, LYNN, Rev, DeTAR, Rev. FARLOW, and Rev. CONRAD.
They were all before 1915.

In 1860 Tarkio Township had 190 families: 176 males 366, females, for a total of 366 The Rev. WOODWORTH dedicated the old Methodist Church in 1880, Rev. WILKINS dedicated the new one in 1964. The cost was $135,000 The parsonage was donated by Wayne E. WHITMORE (1892-1975).

The trees at Elmwood Cemetery were given by the COWGER's and the WHITMORES's The Coin streets were first oiled in the 1920's. Nearly all the beautiful Elm trees in Coin and Vicinity are gone by 1975 because of the Dutch Elm disease. In 1975, there was no hog cholera for the first time.

Mrs. WARNER's salve was a household word for many years in Coin. It was an herb preparation she had acquired from the Indians, and had almost miraculous healing power. Honey was a not to be forgotten delicacy because sugar was so scarce in the early days. In those days every one helped one another. Homes were erected and neighbors acted as midwives, if necessary. When the railroad brought coal into the town, it was a day of rejoicing. Coin coal was not the best fuel. The butchering business was also very important and still is. The old Tarkio was not always appreciated - not when there was a typhoid epidemic, nor when young people tried dangerous swimming.

Milliners were Lulu JAMES, Iva MOSSHOLDER, and a Miss COSTELLO. BENEDICTS had a music store, which I did not name. They sold pianos and stored their pianos in the old HINES barn, then known as the "Benedict Place". Many names can be added because of the people who augmented the town of Coin. All helped to make the community a better place to live. In 1975 the census taken five years before reported around 300 people counting all. The silver bridge built over the Tarkio has been replaced by a new one in 1976, as are all the others between Blanchard and Coin.

Today, (1976) Coin has a 1 Post Office, 2 Churches, 1 Mill, 1 Grocery, 1 railroad, 1 beauty shop, 1 Woodworking shop, 1 doctors office, 1 cafe and liquor store, 1 new telephone building, 1 new Fire Station, 2 oil Stations, 1 Old Man's Club, 1 Town hall. 1 bank, 2 garages, 1 car wash, 1 bulk plant, 1 grade school,

The United Methodist Church serves a parish which Includes Coin, Norwich, and Yorktown. Gone are all the businesses which flourished at the turn of the century. Gone are the empty buildings which once graced Main Street. Several trailer homes have sprouted up around town. It is still a busy and thriving town. We are proud that it is at least out of the mud, and with the advent of automobiles, the town people have access to any town to trade.

The Alumni banquet time is still popular, and Memorial Day is equally so. It has an active Senior Citizen's group, and social clubs. We had a Bicentennial celebration on March 20th of this (1976) year, when Coin was Presented a Bicentennial Flag. It was presented to Mayor SMITH, by our minister, who is a past National American Legion Commander. Coin is still a good town to live in, and bring up a family in. It will never come under the category of "Ghost Town" for the citizens will never permit it. The last census in 1970 stated Coin has a population of 300 citizens.

Many people could be added to the history of Coin. Many have come and gone. Those who grew up here are always anxious to come back and greet old friends.

Source  Mrs. Lois Jean (Hines) BRAYMEN, June 1976
 HISTORY OF LINCOLN TOWNSHIP, Coin and Sonw Hill
 by Lois Jean Hines Braymen, PFP-I, Vol. 2, Pg 4 to 11 (June, 1976)
 Her Source: Page County Histories of Iowa, 1880, 1909, 1942; Personal diaries of Whitmore, Braymen; Cemeteries of Snow Hill and Elmwood.; Coin Gazettes, and other Publications.
Mrs Lois J. BRAYMEN, was born 04 Jan 1915, and died on 10 Jan 2004, age 89yrs, Coin, Page Co., IA. 51636
[SSD# 482-58-1007, issued Iowa] she will be missed dearly...prs


Go Back to Lincoln Twp. History Records
Go Back to Page Co. History records
Go to FOPC© Families Index Goto Friends of Page Co.© Homepage

Mrs. Vera B. (Duncan) WILSON, 1896-1988, age92yrs - Click on Thumbnail for larger Photo! These records are part of the "Genealogy Computer Package" *** PC-PROFILE *** Volume - II. DUNCAN & Related Families© Compiled and self Published in Oct. 14, 1993 by Paul R. Sarrett, Jr. with the assistance of my late mother Mrs. M. Lucille (WILSON) SARRETT. (1917-1987, age age 70yrs) & My Grandmother: Mrs. Vera B. (DUNCAN) WILSON (1896-1988, age 92yrs) The "Work-Books" were compiled by listing the various families, born, married, died, and a history of that family branch. In 1996 I started "Up-Loading" this material on the now called Friends of Page Co., site...prs

prsjr@att.net   E-Mail: Paul R. Sarrett, Jr., Auburn, CA. prsjr@att.net
 Friends of Page County, President
Text - Copyright © 1996-2010 Paul R. Sarrett, Jr.
Created: Dec. 01, 1996; Dec 01, 2001;  Sep 29, 2003; 
Jan 12, 2007;  Aug 04, 2009;  Jan 18, 2010;