THE CHRONICLE, Vol. 7, No. 27, November 16, 1893
The Congregational church in Cook township was re-dedicated last Sunday, Rev. Dr. Douglas, of Grinnell, conducting the exercises. The church was destroyed by a cyclone July 6 last, but a better one was built on the old site, and it was formally dedicated last Sunday, in the presence of a large congregation. It will be insured against windstorms, and as such a calamity is not likely to occur again in any event, the people of that vicinity look forward with confidence.
ODEBOLT CHRONICLE, Vol. 52, No. 31, Aug. 17, 1939
Aug. 17, 1939
A well-known landmark in Cook township, the old Congregational church six miles north of Odebolt, will soon be gone. The structure is now the property of Otto Siebrecht, who started tearing it down last week.
Constructed about 50 years ago (about 1889), the first church building on this site was wrecked two years later by a storm. It was rebuilt at that time and was used for services until about 20 years ago (about 1919).
Mr. And Mrs. Jacob Anderson of Odebolt, as well as other pioneer settlers in that territory, recall many pleasant activities at the old church. There was a large congregation at one time, including many residents of the Cook ranch. The Sunday school had an especially large enrollment.
Among the organizers of the church were James Keck, James Cree, John McDonough, Henry Hodge, Mrs. Charles Traver and the Bagwell family. C. W. Cook contributed money when the building was constructed, and bought the bell which called families of that community to worship.
One of the first pastors, if not the first, was the Rev. Mr. Fox. Another Congregational church was located four miles west, in Ida county, and the same pastors served both congregations. Services were held at the west church in the morning and at the Keck church in the afternoon.
Most of the older people of the community either moved away or died, and
younger folks went to other churches. For that reason the congregation was
(copied from microfilm by B. Ekse)