Children swing in the park in Spring, 2003
(We are in the process of researching the history of the park. Below are some references and photos.
If you have information to share on the park's history, please contact us.)
ODEBOLT OBSERVER, Vol. 1, No. 40, April 6, 1881
It is probable that the Council will take early action in regard to the improvement of the public park. The R. R. company very generously donated a block of ground to the city for a park on condition that the city expends a certain sum for its improvement and decoration. By all means let the park be improved.
ODEBOLT OBSERVER VOL. 1, NO. 45 May 11, 1881
Mayor Ross and Alderman Lee are busy attending to the seeding of the park grounds and setting them out to trees.
(The park was formerly called Hanson Park in honor of Henry Hanson, who was so instrumental in encouraging the planting of trees in the town of Odebolt).
THE CHRONICLE. VOL. XXV. NO. 17. AUGUST 24, 1911.
Two handsome ornamental pillars are being erected at the northeast corner of Hanson park to designate the entrance. The pillars are of white sand and white cement and will add much to the attractiveness of this beauty spot.
From "ODEBOLT FOREVER, 1877-2002" (the 125th Odebolt history book), p. 94
Tree in front (picture) is the George Washington Bicentennial Tree 1732-1932, planted by Women's Relief Corps, No. 110, Odebolt, Iowa. Registered American Tree Association 1932. (Information taken from the plaque in front of the tree.)
On the right, the George Washington
Bicentennial Tree 1732-1932