History of Odebolt, Iowa

Odebolt History Pages


[Editor’s note: Perhaps people in Odebolt have heard the term “Bang Town” to refer to the part of Odebolt north of highway 175. The term came from a former resident, Ambrose A. Bangs, who lived in the north part of town.  Below is information about his life from 1887.]

From googlebooks, on-line
History of the Ninety-sixth Regiment: Illinois volunteer Infantry
By Charles Addison Partridge, Army, United States
Compiled by Charles Addison Partridge
Published by Brown, Pettibone, printers, 1887
Original from the University of California
Digitized Mar 18, 2008
938 pages

Page 715 ... First Lieutenant Ambrose A. Bangs.—Age 30 ; born in Stanford, Bennington County, Vt; farmer; enlisted from Wauconda. Was appointed first Corporal at organization of Company ; promoted to First Sergeant in January, 1863; was taken prisoner at Chickamauga, Sept. 20, 1863 ; was in prison at Richmond, Danville and Andersonville. Was commissioned First Lieutenant July 22, 1864, while a prisoner. Was exchanged Nov. 20, 1864, and, being sick, returned home, where he remained until March, 1865, when he rejoined his Company, and was mustered as First Lieutenant, April 9, 1865. Mustered out with Regiment. Was elected Collector for the town of Wauconda in 1869, and was Assessor for city of Odebolt, Iowa, in 1885 and 1886. Is a stock-dealer at Odebolt, Sac County, Iowa.


Page 522 ... First Sergeant Ambrose A. Bangs, of Company B, became detached from the Regiment near the close of the battle on Sunday evening, and found himself in the ranks of the 22d Michigan, just before they made the final charge when they were taken prisoners. He was taken with 800 others and marched to Dalton, Ga., and then sent by cars to Richmond, Va., remaining there until November 20, 1863. From Richmond he was taken to Danville, Va., and with others was quartered in a tobacco factory until May 10. From Danville he went to Andersonville and made his camp under one of the three pines near the southeast corner of the stockade. He was soon taken sick, and about June 1 was sent to the hospital, where he remained until October 18. He then went back to the. stockade, remaining until November 10 ; thence to Millen, remaining there until November 18, when he was sent to Savannah, and released November 20, 1864. He was provided with passage from Savannah to Annapolis, Md., on the steamer Blackstone, being landed about December 1, and shortly afterward furloughed to his home in Lake county, where he was permitted to remain for some months, until partially recovered from his long confinement. He rejoined the Regiment at Shields' Mills, Tenn., in April, 1865, being immediately promoted to First Lieutenant. He at present resides at Odebolt, Iowa, and still suffers from the effects of his long captivity.

[Home] [History Index]

[Copyright Notice]