From “Fifty Years Of Progress”, The Odebolt Chronicle,
Vol. 51, No. 31, Pages 1 -7, Thursday, August 25, 1938
transcribed by B. Girvan Horak from the original 1938 publication
(CLICK HERE for surname index)
Organization Was Formed in January of This Year (1938)
(Click the name on the index to go to the biography sketch. Click your BACK button to return to the index)
Elizabeth (Mrs. F C Gosch)
August Groman was born Nov. 9, 1856, at Brunswick Lake county, Ind., and came to Odebolt May 25, 1878. He has lived in town all his life except the time he spent working on the farm during the summer months from the age of 12 to 17 years, inclusive.
He was married to Gesina M Beckman at Brunswick, Ind., June 4, 1881. Six children were born to this couple, but only three are living at the present time.
Dr. Groman has followed the profession of physician and surgeon since living in Odebolt, retiring only a few years ago. He is a life member of both the Masonic lodge and the county and state medical societies.
Francis LaGrange was born at Pecatonica, Winnebago county, Ill., June 13, 1868. He came from there to this community in the spring of 1878. He has lived on the farm all his life except the last two years. His father, F. W. LaGrange, bought 1,000 acres of land at $2.50 per acre. It was situated seven miles north on old Highway 4 and one mile east.
He was married to Annie Rhule at Odebolt April 8, 1892. Two children were born to them but only the daughter is living.
ELLINGER, LYDIA M. (MRS. W. K.
Mrs. W. K. Shaw, formerly Lydia M. Ellinger, was born in Clinton county, March 30, 1862. She came to the Odebolt community in 1878. Her parents resided on the Mills farm (now the Francis Story farm) southeast of town and later on the J. A. Davenport farm northeast of town. She has lived in the town of Odebolt ever since it was founded.
She was married to Wilson King Shaw Nov.24, 1881, at Sac City. Her husband died in March 1934. She was the mother of seven children, four of whom are living.
Edward Wilkinson was born at Chicago, Ill., Aug. 27, 1861. He came to Iowa at the age of eight or nine years living on a farm near Ontario; and came to this community June 18, 1881, farming in Clinton, Levey and Richland townships and moving to Odebolt in 1897. However, after arriving in Odebolt he worked on farms until his marriage.
On May 23, 1882, he was married to Lillie D. Peck at Odebolt by the Rev. Mr. McCulla. They then moved to a farm near Ireton, near Sioux City, for seven years before settling in this community permanently. They have one foster daughter. Mrs. Wilkinson died May 16, 1937.
Mr. Wilkinson was a farmer, section hand and elevator assistant for 20 years.
TEAQUIST, A. S.
A.S. Teaquist was born in Sweden Jan. 11, 1866. In 1876 he came to Manchester, Iowa, and resided there for seven years, after which he came to this community. He farmed in Wheeler and Richland townships, but moved to Odebolt in 1900.
He married Amanda Bergin Jan. 7, 1897. Four sons were born to this union, all residing in this community.
Mr. Teaquist followed the profession of auctioneering since 1886.
HULDEEN, MRS. ANNA
Mrs. Anna Huldeen was born in Sweden Feb. 4, 1864. She came to this community the same year the railroad went through, or in 1877.
She was married to John Huldeen in 1891 at Odebolt. They resided in the Holstein territory from 1898 to 1901. Their family consisted of three sons, who are still living. Mr. and Mr. Huldeen moved to town in 1921. Mr. Huldeen passed away July 23, 1931.
Mrs. Huldeen is a member of the American Legion Auxiliary.
CARLSON, C. J.
C. J. Carlson was born Jan. 26, 1855, at Vestervik, Sweden. Sixty-three years of his life were spent on the farm.
He was married to Charlotte Anderson March 24, 1882, at Ukna, Sweden. In the fall after their marriage they moved to Laurens, Pocahontas county, and lived there until May 16, 1887, when they came to this community. They lived on the Cook ranch for seven years., then on their own farm near Herring for 17 years.
To this union were born six children, five of whom are living. They have been enjoying town life since 1918.
ANDERSON, CHARLOTTE (MRS. C. J. CARLSON)
Mrs. C. J. Carlson, formerly Charlotte Anderson, was born at Jardserum, Sweden, May 16, 1857. She spent 61 years on the farm.
She was married to C. J. Carlson March 24, 1882, at Ukna, Sweden, and is the mother of six children, five of whom are living. She is a charter member of the Women’s Missionary society of the Odebolt Lutheran church.
Mr. and Mrs. Carlson moved to town in 1918, to their home on Second street.
LUFT, ELIZABETH (MRS. G. J. FREESE)
Mrs. G. J. Freese, formerly Elizabeth Luft, was born at Mendota, Ill., Dec. 29, 1871. Illinois was her home until 1880 when she came with her parents to this locality and lived on a farm six miles northeast of Odebolt.
She was married Dec. 20, 1892, to Gus J. Freese in Clinton township. Since her marriage she has lived in Odebolt. Here their family of seven children were born., six of whom are living.
MELBRECHT, KATHERYN (Mrs. G. H. Frey)
Mrs. G. H. Frey, formerly Katheryn Melbrecht, was born at Mendota, Ill., Aug. 4, 1879. She came to this community with her parents in 1882 and lived in Clinton township, also Richland township.
She was married to G. H. Frey at the Methodist church of Richland township on Nov. 3, 1903. To this union were born five children, four of whom are living. Mr. and Mrs. Frey moved to Odebolt in 1908, which has since been their home.
Mrs. Frey is a member of the Ingleside club and also of various church organizations.
LIBBY, FRED W.
Fred W. Libby was born at Earlville, LaSalle county, Ill., Feb. 13, 1866. He came from there to Iowa in 1879 and has lived in Grant City, Carnarvon, on a farm nine miles southeast in Levey township, and in the town of Odebolt. He has been a drayman here since 1900.
He was married to Flora M. Ellis at Grant City on March 21, 1894. To this union 10 children were born, seven of whom are living.
WOLF, ANNA (MRS. ANNA HAUSMANN)
Mrs. Anna Hausmann, formerly Anna Wolff, was born at Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany, on Jan. 19, 1866. She remained in Germany until Dec. 31, 1888, when she came to Iowa and lived the greater part of her life on the farm three miles north of Odebolt. She has lived in Odebolt for the last 14 years.
She was married to Henry Hausmann at Ida Grove on March 11, 1890. She was the mother of four children, one of whom died at birth.
GOSCH, FRED C.
Fred C. Gosch of Wall Lake was born at Preston, Aug. 13, 1879. The next year he came with his parents to the Odebolt community and has lived southeast of town.
He was married Oct. 11, 1916, at Hartington, Neb., to Mrs. Elizabeth Lange. One daughter was born to this union and Mrs. Gosch had four children by her first marriage.
Mr. Gosch is a member of the Progressive Farmers.
STOLT, FRANK W.
Frank W. Stolt of Battle Ground, Wash., was born at Andover, Ill., Oct. 24, 1860. His parents moved to Pilot Mound in 1868 and remained there until 1876, when he moved to the Odebolt community. Here he resided on a farm in southwest Wheeler township. In December 1888, he moved to town.
He married Mary L. Norelius in February, 1885. She died in 1897. He was again married Jan. 27, 1900 to Ruth Traver at Odebolt. Five children, all living, were born to this union.
Mr. Stolt spent 28 years farming and 40 years in the lumber business. Mr. and Mrs. Stolt left Odebolt Aug. 10, 1934, and have resided in Washington since.
BARKLEY, M. C.
M. C. Barkley of Sioux Falls, S.D., was born on a farm near Lisbon, Linn county (Iowa), on Dec. 12, 1852. He, with his parents, went to Boone county to live in 1856.
He was married Aug. 27, 1875, to Mary Evalyn Smith on a farm northeast of Boone. Mrs. Barkley died Sept. 8, 1937, after they were permitted to live happily together for 62 years. Five children were born to this union, four of whom are living.
They moved to Clinton township, Sac county, in March, 1885, on a farm five miles east of town. They were residents of this community for 34 years, leaving Feb. 6, 1919, for Sioux Falls.
Mr. Barkley has been a farmer and dairyman all his life. He is a member of the Modern Woodman lodge.
STRATTON , MRS. ELIZABETH
Mrs. Elizabeth Stratton of Grinnell (formerly Elizabeth Pearson) was born Feb. 17, 1869, at Grinnell. She accompanied her parents to this community when seven years old and they settled on a farm three miles west of where Early is now located.
She was married to Frank W. Stratton at the home of her parents, May 15, 1889. She moved to Odebolt after her marriage and made this her home until 1919, when she returned to Grinnell to enable her two children to attend college. She is the mother of six children, two of whom are living.
SCHRAMM , L. W.
Ludwig Schramm was born at West Prussia, Germany, April 17, 1853. He emigrated to America in 1872, going to Manitowac, Wis. For two and a half years and then to Ashton, Lee county, Ill., until Feb. 18, 1878, at which time he came to the Odebolt community. Since coming here he has resided in Clinton township and in town since 1912.
He was married to Katherine Luft in Clinton township Oct. 10, 1880. They are the parents of seven living children, four having died in infancy.
Mr. Schramm had always been a farmer and cattle feeder until his retirement.
SCHRAMM, MRS. L..W.
Mrs. L . W. Schramm, formerly Katherine Luft, was born June 14, 1862 at Mendota, Ill. She came from that place to this community in 1880 and resided on farms in Clinton township and in Odebolt since 1912.
She was married Oct. 10, 1880, in Clinton township to Ludwig W. Schramm. They are the parents of seven living children, four having died in infancy.
Mrs. Schramm is a charter member of both the Cook Lutheran church and their Ladies’ Aid.
HUEBNER , MRS. ANNA
Mrs. Anna Huebner, formerly Anna Hausmann, was born on a farm at Beecher, Ill., Nov. 13, 1866. She came to this community in 1873 and lived in Richland township. There was no home closer than six miles to their home. Her parents were here before the railroad went through. They did their trading at Storm Lake and it often took two days to get there as there were no roads or bridges.
She was married to Chris Huebner Feb. 4, 1886, at her parents’ home in Richland Township. Five children composed their family, but one son died in 1935.
Mrs. Huebner has lived in town since June, 1914. She is a charter member of the Cook Lutheran Aid.
ROBINSON , MRS. JANETTE
Mrs. Janette Robinson of Spencer was born at Holdness Village, N. H., Nov. 15, 1858. She came from Franklin Grove, Ill., to this community, March 20, 1878. She lived on farms eight miles east and two miles north of Odebolt and two miles south and one mile east of town, also in Odebolt.
She was married to Henry C. Robinson Jan. 1, 1874, at Franklin Grove., Ill. To this union 11 children were born, four of whom died very young and one son died this June.
She moved from Odebolt three years ago and has lived at Dickens and Spencer since.
Aaron Miller of Ida Grove was born in Odebolt, Oct. 31, 1882. He lived here until 1910 when he left for Midland, S. D., and settled on a homestead, remaining for two years. He then came to Ida Grove, which has since been his home and farming has been his occupation.
He was married Jan. 24, 1906, to Mabel V. Burch of Manchester, at Odebolt. They are the parents of eight children, all living. Mr. Miller is a Modern Woodman of America.
MADSEN, MRS. SOPHIA
Mrs. Sophia Madsen of King City, Cal., formerly Sophia Lindquist was born at Vail, Oct 28, 1874. She was but a child when she came to Odebolt in 1877, and continued to live here until she went to California in 1904.
She was married to A. E. Waldron at Odebolt on Oct. 7, 1894, and one daugher was born to them. She was remarried on Jan. 21, 1904, at King City, Cal. To this union five children were born, all living.
Charley Lindquist of King City, Cal., was born Sept 28, 1863. He came from Kansas City, Mo., to Iowa in 1869, living at Vail in Crawford county. In the fall of 1877 he came to the Odebolt community and continued to live here until 1924. He has also resided in Omaha, Neb., and Sioux City.
Mr. Lindquist never married. He was a painter by trade when he resided here.
Anders Anderson of Arthur was born Feb. 1, 1854, on a farm near Kungsbacka, Sweden. At the age of 19 he emigrated to Lansing, Mich., May 1, 1873, remaining there until August, 1873. It took 20 days to make the voyage across the ocean.
On March 15, 1877, he was married to Ida Charlotta Wester at DeKalb, Ill. Ten children were born to this union, eight of whom are living. After living in Amboy, Ill., for awhile, they came to Hayes township, Ida county, in March, 1882, purchasing land for $16.25 an acre, and have lived on this farm continuously. His wife died April 11, 1933.
Some interesting facts concerning Mr. Anderson are that he has never owned an automobile, and has never had a mortgage on his farm after the first few years.
E. W. Lester of Spokane, Wash., was born on a farm in DuPage county, Ill., March 9, 1857.
He was married Feb. 19, 1880, to Addie L. Stevens at Bloomington, Ill. They have four children living.
Lester came to this community in September, 1885. They lived over Burnside’s store the first winter and for the following 20 years in the John L. North home on Hanson Boulevard. Mrs. Lester died May 13, 1924. Mr. Lester was engaged in the general merchandise and grocery business. They moved from Odebolt in September, 1906.
ENGBERG, MRS. EMMA
Mrs. Emma Engberg of Sumner, Wash., was born at Andover, Henry county, Ill., Feb 22, 1865. She came with her parents to Boone county in 1868. She came to the Odebolt community in 1879 and lived southwest of town until 1902.
She was married March 1, 1881, to M. N. Mellberg. To this union four children were born, one of whom is living. Mr. Mellberg died Dec 8, 1893. She was remarried to John F. Engberg at Kiron Dec. 19, 1896. This union was blessed with six children, and four are living now.
She has resided at the following places: Sioux City; Spickard, Mo.; Platte, S. D., and Compton, Cal. She also resided in Odebolt again from 1908 to 1917. She spent 52 years on the farm.
Frank Kelley of Keeline, Wyo., was born at Grass Valley, Cal., May 4, 1854. He came to Iowa in 1864, settling in Ida county. He lived in this community from 1877 to 1879.
He was married to Ella H. Kenyon at her parents’ home at Jessup July 16, 1878. Five children were born to them, all of whom are living. Mrs. Kelley died Sept. 7, 1933.
From here he went to Geneva Lake, Wis., Jessup, Hawarden, Cedar county, Neb., and Keeline, Wyo. His occupations were teaching, publishing a country newspaper and farming.
Now 84 years old, one of the publishers of Odebolt’s first newspaper is still “in the game.” He is Frank Kelley of Keeline, Wyo., who with W. W. Yarham, started the Odebolt Reporter back in 1877. Since leaving Odebolt he has published the Calliope (Iowa) Commercial; Woonsocket (S.D.)News; Cedar County News at Hartington, Neb.; Verdel (Neb.) News; and the Carroll (Neb.) News. At the present time he is publishing the Country Contributor, a publication for newspaper correspondents, and writing a page each month for the Wyoming Stockman-Farmer.
“If any old friend at Odebolt will drop me a line for old time’s sake,” he writes, “I will be glad to answer promptly for I have the kindliest feeling for Odebolt and her good people.” (from “Fifty Years Of Progress”, Odebolt Chronicle, Vol. 51, No. 31, page 2)
Frank Searight was born at DeWiitt Dec. 21, 1868. Later his home was at Boone and he came to the Odebolt community in 1874, living first on farms and then in Odebolt since 1886. He has also lived in Wall Lake, Mapleton and Moville.
He married Sophia W. Petersmeyer at Odebolt Nov. 5, 1891. Four children were born to them and all are living. Mr. Searight has been a clerk in general merchandise, a registered pharmacist and an elevator operator.
SEARIGHT, MRS. SOPHIA
Mrs. Sophia Searight, formerly Sophia Petersmeyer was born June 11, 1865 at Cedar Lake, Ind. She moved to the Odebolt community in 1872, and lived first on a farm in Clinton township, and also in Wall Lake, Mapleton and Moville and in Odebolt.
She was married to Frank Searight Nov. 5, 1891. Three sons and one daughter compose their family and all are living. Mrs. Searight is a member of the Women’s Relief corps and the Ingleside club.
GOREHAM, LEONARD L.
Leonard L. Goreham was born at Lost Nation Aug. 15, 1870, of American-English parentage. He came to Odebolt community on Aug. 15, 1874, and lived on a farm in Wheeler township. He has lived in Odebolt for the last 14 years.
He was married to Sophronia E. Brennan at St. Martin’s church Sept. 18, 1894. Four children were born to them but only three are living.
Mr. Goreham is a member of the Knights of Columbus and also of the Odebolt fire department. Mr. Goreham was the first patient of the first doctor in Odebolt, Dr. Hull. He had a broken leg and Dr. Hull set it in the year 1877.
HANSON, MRS. MARY ANN
Mrs. Mary Ann Hanson, formerly Mary Ann Down, was born at El Paso, Ill. Oct. 20, 1869. She came to Iowa with her parents when only a small child and they settled in this community in 1874. The different farms on which she lived were the ones owned by Irving and Henry Raasch and on T. W. Down’s farm. Other places she has lived are Cedar Rapids, Ida Grove and Kiron.
She was married to Albert Hanson at the home of T. W. Down on March 10, 1898. They are the poarents of one daughter. Her occupations have been school teaching and housekeeping.
Albert Hanson was born in Sweden March 5, 1869. He emigrated to Oyster Bay, Long Island. After a few years he came to the Odebolt community April 22, 1883, and has resided here continually since. However, he spent six years as a resident of Kiron, and a short time at both Peterson and Algona.
He was married to Mary Down at the T. W. Down home on March 10, 1898. This union was blessed with one daughter. Mr. Hanson is a member of the Masonic Lodge.
BRUCE, J. L.
James Leslie Bruce was born May 10, 1873 at Manchester. He was only 10 months old when he came to this community. March 4, 1874, living here for 64 years.
He was married to Nellie Johnson at DeWitt Jan. 3, 1900. Their home was blessed with one daughter. They lived on the farm until 1904, when they moved to town and Mr. Bruce has been engaged in the grain and popcorn business since.
WAGGONER, A. B.
A.B. Waggoner of Kiron was born at Landisburg, Pa., Feb 24, 1862. He came to this community in 1881 and has lived here since.
He was united in marriage March 20, 1888, to Jessie E. Gunn in Jackson township, Crawford county. They lived on the same farm six miles south and one mile east of town for 34 years. Eight children were born to them, but one daughter died when six weeks old. Mr. and Mrs. Waggoner have lived near Kiron for the last four years.
WAGGONER, MRS. JESSIE E.
Mrs. Jessie E. Waggoner of near Kiron, formerly Jessie Gunn, was born at Clinton July 27, 1869. She came to the Odebolt community in 1888. She lived in Ida county for four years and for the remainder of the years spent farming, they lived in Wheeler township, six miles south and one mile east of town.
She was married to Albert B. Waggoner March 20, 1888, in Jackson township, Crawford county. Eight children were born to this union, seven living today. Mrs. Waggoner is a member of the Women’s Relief corps.
Jacob Anderson was born at Smoland, Sweden, on Sept. 6, 1853. He came to America and settled at Geneva, Ill., July 14, 1869. He came to Iowa in March 1877, taking up his residence in Cook township and later purchased the farm now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Worden.
Mr. Anderson was married March 8, 1877, in Geneva, Ill., to Emma Johnson. To this union two girls were born. Mrs. Anderson died April 7, 1906.
He was married a second time to Mrs. Katherine (Mooney)Worden on Dec. 9, 1909. He continued to live on the farm for 62 years of his life, moving to their present home on Locust street March 1, 1916.
In an interview with him he recalled how a prairie fire started in Woodbury county and burnt everything in its path to Sac county. He also remembered when the notorious James brothers, one of whom had been shot in the leg, stopped overnight at the Grambler home on the Cook ranch while enroute to Nebraska.
ANDERSON, MRS. JACOB
Mrs. Jacob Anderson, formerly Katherine Mooney, was born in Antram county, Ireland, on Feb. 13, 1863. She came to America with her parents when five years of age and they located in Winona, Ill.
On March 8, 1884, she was united in marriage to Frank Worden at Sac City. Sac county has since been her home. This marriage was blessed with four children.
She was remarried to Jacob Anderson Dec. 8, 1909. They lived on the farm until March 1, 1916, when they moved to their home on Locust street. Mrs. Anderson is of Scotch-Irish descent and has been a member of the Presbyterian Aid society for 22 years.
DINGES, MRS. JOSEPH SR.
Mrs. Joseph Dinges Sr., formerly Elizabeth Kaiser, was born Dec. 8, 1868, in Germany. She came to this community in 1881 and has worked some in Sac City and Wall Lake. Aside from that she has never lived more than nine miles from Odebolt.
She was married to George Landgraf in 1885 at Wall Lake. They were the parents of seven children, all living. Mr. Landgraf died in 1903.
She was remarried to Joseph Dinges Sr. in 1915 at Odebolt. They moved to town in `916 and still live in their comfortable home on Main Street.
FOX, HARRY B.
Harry B. Fox was born on the farm he now occupies, four miles east of town, living there continuously. The date was Nov. 28, 1878.
He was married to Lydia C. Buehler Nov. 28, 1900, at Odebolt. To this union four children were born, all living now. He is a member of Wheeler lodge No. 308, AF&AM and is prominent in Farm Bureau work.
FOX, MRS. HARRY B.
Mrs. Harry B. Fox, formerly Lydia C. Buehler, was born at Odebolt Sept. 3, 1878. She spent her girlhood in the town of Odebolt.
Since her marriage to Harry B. Fox which took place on Nov. 28, 1900, she has lived on their farm east of Odebolt, living there 37 years. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Fox, all of whom are living. Mrs. Fox holds prominent places in the church, club and farm bureau organizations of this community.
Thomas W. Down was born Feb. 20, 1872, at El Paso, Ill. This was his home for two years, and then his family moved to this community until 1881 when they spent one year at Girdley, Ill. The remainder of his life has been spent here, on farms in this vicinity.
He was married to Emma M Hanson Feb. 19, 1896, at Odebolt. Ten children were born to this union, all of them living. Mr. Down was formerly a member of Knights of Pythias and is a prominent member and worker of the Farm Bureau.
DOWN, MRS. T.W.
Mrs. T. W. Down, formerly Emma M. Hanson, was born at Oyster Bay, N.Y., Aug 24, 1876. She came to this vicinity in 1881, and has lived on the farm all but four years.
She was married Feb. 19, 1896 to Thomas W. Down at Odebolt. Ten children came to brighten this home.
Mrs. Down belongs to various clubs and church organizations.
BERG, CHARLES O.
Charles O. Berg of Kiron, was born on a farm in Boone county Jan. 18, 1871. He is of Swedish parentage, and has lived on the farm for 61 years. He came to this community in 1877.
He was married to Jennie Peterson of Wheeler township in 1899. This worthy couple are the parents of four children, all of whom are living.
BERG, MRS. C.O.
Mrs. Charles O. Berg of Kiron was born of Swedish parentage on Feb. 11, 1875, at Quinston Heights, Canada. She has resided on the farm all of her life. Part of her life was spent at Rockford, Ill., and she came to the Odebolt community in 1882.
She was married in Wheeler township to Charles O. Berg, March 24, 1899. This union was blessed with four children, all of whom are living.
SMITH, CHARLES H.
Charles H. Smith was born in Clinton county Oct 16, 1866. He came from there to this community settling in Clinton township in the Bethel neighborhood, which has been his home continuously.
He was married to Olive Chandler at her parental home in Wheeler township Jan. 1, 1890. Five children were born to this couple, all living today. Mr. Smith is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America.
YOUNIE, MRS. LUCINDA
Mrs. Lucinda Younie, formerly Lucinda Taylor, was born in Delaware county, Iowa, May 16, 1862. She came to this community when nine years old, in 1873. Her family lived five miles southeast in Levey township on what is now the Jerry P. Gosch farm. She also lived in the old Mummey house in the northern part of Odebolt for six years.
She was married to Charles W. Sutton Feb. 26, 1881. Six children composed their family, but one son died in 1893. Mr. Sutton died in 1901.
FERTIG, WILL C.
Will C. Fertig was born in Levey township Sept 20, 1877. He was born and raised on the farm he now occupies, located five miles east and three miles south.
On Jan. 30, 1907, he was married to Anna C. Bonnichsen at the home of the bride’s parents. Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Fertig, one of whom died in 1908.
WAGNER, MRS. JOHN G.
Mrs. John G. Wagner, formerly Mary Weitzel, was born in Mendota, Ill., May 4, 1878. She came to this community the next year and lived on a farm seven miles northeast in Clinton township and later on a farm seven miles northwest in Richland township.
She was married to John G. Wagner June 18, 1896, in Clinton township. Eleven children were born to them and all are living. Mr. and Mrs. Wagner moved to town in 1921. Mrs. Wagner is a member of the Rebekah lodge, Women’s Relief corps., Presbyterian Aid and the D.M.C. club.
Fay Gilbert of Milaca, Minn., was born at Odebolt July 14, 1887. He spent 33 years in this locality on a farm three miles southeast of Odebolt.
Mr. Gilbert was married to Anna Smith at the Bethel M. E. church on Feb 22, 1911. Five sons were born to them. They moved to Milaca, Minn., March 1, 1920, and still reside there. Mr. Gilbert is a member of the Masonic lodge, AOUW Grange, PTA and the Farm Bureau.
WADE, C. L.
Charles Lincoln Wade of Lake View was born near Chariton, Lucas county, Nov. 3, 1860. He came to this locality from Emerick, Neb., on Oct. 15, 1884. Here they resided on a farm seven miles east of Odebolt in Clinton township.
He was married to Ada F. Eckman at Elwood in 1883. Five children came to this home, with four living. Mr. Wade has lived at Lake View since 1927.
WADE, MRS. ADA
Mrs. Ada Wade of Lake View was born Dec. 21, 1865, at Elwood in Clinton county. She came here from Emerick, Neb., Oct. 19, 1884, and lived seven miles east of town.
She was married to Charles Lincoln Wade Dec. 26, 1884, at Elwood. Five children came to bless this home, but one died in 1895.
Sterling Wells of Schaller was born Feb. 23, 1867, at Cordova, Ill. The next year the famly came to DeWitt; in 1878 they came to this community (and) for 10 years lived four miles east and one-half mile north of Odebolt. In 1888 they moved to Schaller, where he has continuously resided.
He was married June 15, 1898, to Cora Hudson of Schaller. They have two children.
SMITH, MRS. NETTIE D.
Mrs. Nettie D. Smith of Onamia, Minn., was born at Kiron May 10, 1875. She resided four and one-half miles east of town from 1898 to 1906, then two years at Lyons, Neb, six years at Sioux Falls, S.D., and since 1914 at Milaca and Onamia, Minn.
She was married Aug. 31, 1898 to Harlan A. Smith at the Engberg farm near Kiron. Three children were born to them, two living now. Mr. Smith died July 27, 1935, at Onamia, Minn.
CHANDLER, MRS. MARY
Mrs. Mary Smith Chandler of Mount Vernon was born May 9, 1870 at DeWitt. She came to this vicinity in 1878 and lived four miles east of Odebolt.
She was married to Sidney L. Chandler at Odebolt Nov.5, 1890. They resided at Sac Circuit, Jolly, Lehigh, Epworth, Hull, Ida Grove and Sioux City before moving to Mount Vernon.
Three children were born to this union, two of whom are living. Mr. Chandler passed away Dec. 29, 1937.
Mrs. Chandler is a member of the Ben Hur lodge, Sorosis club and various church organizations.
Louis Hess of Wall Lake was born in Germany Dec. 1, 1856. He came from Germany in 1872 and settled in Cedar county. He resided here for four years and then came to the Odebolt community, living on section 25 in Clinton township.
He was married in February, 1883, at Wall Lake. Four children were born to them, all of whom are living. Farming has been his life’s occupation. (Note: name of wife not given)
HOVENDEN, DELBERT B.
Delbert B. Hovenden of Lakefield, Minn., was born at Clinton county March 17, 1872. His home here was five miles east of town.
He was married to Jessie R. Draper at the bride’s home east of town, Jan. 20, 1897. Four children came to gladden this home, but one died in infancy. Mr. Hovenden resided at Laurens from 1897 to 1903, and then moved to Lakefield, Minn.
HOVENDEN, MRS. DELBERT B.
Mrs. Delbert B. Hovenden of Lakefield, Minn., formerly Jessie R. Draper, was born in Clinton county Aug. 24, 1869. She came to this locality when only a child, in the fall of 1874, and lived on a farm five miles east of Odebolt.
On Jan. 20, 1897, she was married to Delbert B. Hovenden at her home east of town. Four children were born to this union, but one died in infancy. Mrs. Hovenden is a charter member of the Odebolt Women’s Relief corps.
SMITH, MARTIN W.
Martin W. Smith was born at Mansville, Pa., in November 1849. He was married to Deantha Work Jan. 10, 1879, at Aeschall, Perry county, Pa. They resided there for two years and then came to Powesheik county in 1872. He came to the Odebolt community in the fall of 1876 and continued farming until 1882.
Mr. Smith has lived on the same lot since then. He was the owner of a feed store for 12 years and retired in 1919. He served as town councilman for 10 years.
WEITZEL, MRS. CARRIE
Mrs. Carrie Weitzel, formerly Carrie Smith, was born at Shermansdale, Pa., May 22, 1867. She came to this locality in 1882 and lived here 10 years. From here she went to Sioux City; Kasota, Minn.; Enid, Okla., and Tulsa, Okla. In the fall of 1919 she moved to Lake View, remaining there most of the time since.
She married Edward E. Rock Jan. 5, 1892. She was remarried Aug. 20, 1919, to Adam Weitzel at Odebolt. Mr. Weitzel died Oct. 21, 1931.
Mrs. Weitzel was formerly a dressmaker and milliner in this city. She is a member of the Rebekah lodge and the Women’s Relief corps.
SPROUL, MRS. EMMA
Mrs. Emma Sproul of Aromas, Cal., was born at the old home in Odebolt Sept. 9, 1873. She has lived on the Jacob Buehler Sr. farm four miles north and one mile east of Odebolt.
She married Frank Sproul Sept. 20, 1906, at the old home in Richland township. From 1906 to 1909, she lived in Westfield, N.Y., and since then at Aromas, Cal., her present home. Mr. and Mrs. Sproul had no children. Mrs. Sproul did nursing for a number of years. (Note: no maiden name given)
MILLER, MRS. ESTELLA SCHULER
Mrs. Estella Miller, formerly Estella Schuler, was born Dec 23, 1869, at Deloit, Crawford county. She came to this community when only a girl, in 1878.
She was married to Sam A. Miller at Odebolt on Sept. 28, 1893. They have three children of their own and one foster daughter. Both of their sons served in the World war.
Mrs. Miller moved from Odebolt in March, 1909, and has lived in the following places; Garretson, S.D., Breckinridge, Minn.; Schaller and Spencer, which has been their home for the last 22 years.
John Salstrom was born at Westergotland, Sweden, Feb. 13, 1867. He came to this community in 1887 and has always lived here with the exception of eight years spent in Sioux City, from which place he came back in 1907.
Mr. Salstrom was married to Hulda Swanson of Sioux City in 1903. One son was born to them, but this family circle was saddened by the death of the mother in October, 1906.
REUBER, MRS. LOUISE K.
Mrs. Louise K. Reuber of Pasadena, Cal., was born Feb. 1, 1870, at Eilvese, Provence of Hanover, Germany. She came with her parents to Chicago, Ill., in 1875, remaining there for two years and coming to Odebolt in 1877. Here she resided on farms in Richland and Cook townships, in all 33 years, after which she moved to town.
She was married Feb. 5, 1891, near Odebolt to August H. W. Reuber. Two children were born to them but the daughter is the only one living now.
She can remember how she and her brother had to herd the cattle over a large expanse of land and were obliged to wade the creeks a few miles north of town when the creeks were waist deep. She is a member of the Women’s Relief corps. (Note: no maiden name given)
QUIRK, LEWIS T.
Lewis T. Quirk of Wall Lake was born in Clinton county Jan. 20, 1874. He came to this community when only two years old and has lived on the farm all but five and one-half years.
He married Fannie L. Fox April 18, 1899, in Clinton township, Sac county. They are the parents of one son.
Mr. Quirk is a member of the Masonic order. He has served as state representative and state senator and was a member of the state highway commission.
QUIRK, MRS. FANNIE F. (Note: referred to as
Fannie “ L” under Lewis T. Quirk sketch)
Mrs. Fannie F. Quirk was born on a farm four miles east of Odebolt March 2, 1876. She also lived one-half mile south of their present location, and on “Fairacres”, her present home.
Mrs. Quirk was married to Lewis Thomas Quirk near Odebolt April 18, 1899. One son came to bless this union. Mrs. Quirk is a member of the OES, Ingleside and Literary clubs and various church societies.
NORELIUS, GEORGE A.
George Albert Norelius of Kiron was born at Swede Bend, Webster county, Dec. 5, 1868. He resided there for only two years, coming to Kiron in 1870. This was his home until 1888, when he moved to Odebolt for a period of four years. He then moved back to Kiron.
Mr. Norelius was married to Emma C. Hanson at the Arthur Baptist church parsonage Dec. 21, 1890. Five children came to gladden this home. Mr. Norelius is a Mason and Modern Woodman.
Gust Salmonson was born in Sweden in 1866. He emigrated to America when he was 20 years old and settled in the Odebolt community. Farming has been his life-long occupation until his retirement in the spring of 1937, when he moved to his home on Main street.
He was married in 1895 to Alma Lindblad at the Bethel church near Kiron. Three sons born to this unions are living, and one daughter died at birth in 1896.
HOEFLING, MRS. ELIZABETH M
Mrs. Elizabeth M. Hoefling, formerly Elizabeth Halboth, was born near Odebolt Feb. 9, 1880. She has always resided northeast of Odebolt in a small radius of distance. All of her life has been spent on the farm.
She was married to John Hoefling on Dec. 24, 1901, at the Salem Reformed church. This union was blessed with five children, all living. She is prominent in the Aid society of the Salem Reformed church.
HOLCOMB, MRS. LIDA
Mrs. Lida Holcomb of Eureka, Cal., formerly Lida Smith, was born July 30, 1876, at Shermandale, Pa. She came to Iowa and lived in the Odebolt community in 1882. This was her home until 1918, and since then she has lived in the state of California at the towns of Oakland, Blue Lake and Eureka.
She was married on Christmas day, 1918, to L. J. Holcomb at Sioux City. They have no children. Mrs. Holcomb was a dressmaker and sales-lady when she resided here. She is a member of the Rebekah lodge. She lived on a farm only five years.
SAUERESSIG, MRS. W. G.
Mrs. W. G. Saueressig of Mendota, Ill., formerly Anna Weitzel, was born in Clinton township. This continued to be her home until her marriage.
She was married to Will G. Saueressig in Clinton township in 1908, at which time she moved to Illinois, which has since been her home. One son came to gladden their home. Mrs. Saueressig is a member of the Rebekah Lodge, the ladies Aid and various clubs.
George Kessler was born in Lee county, Ill., Nov. 11, 1869. After residing in Benton county, Iowa, for a time he came to the Odebolt community Feb. 16, 1878, residing on the farm four miles north of town in Richland township and in Odebolt since 1927.
He was married twice; the first time to Mary Geyer on Oct. 22, 1896, at the Henry Kessler home. Four children were born to this union, with three living. Mrs. Kessler died March 6, 1918. The second marriage occurred Aug. 18, 1920, at Ida Grove to Bertha Ellis.
Henry Buehler was born in Richland township, April 1, 1876. His boyhood was spent on the farm.
He was married to Marie C. Dannenberg on Feb. 22, 1902, at Odebolt. They made their home on the Buehler farm north of Odebolt for 15 years and moved to town in the spring of 1918, which has since been their home. Five children were born to this union, all of whom are living.
Mr. Buehler is a member of Wheeler lodge No. 398, AF&AM. His life’s occupations were farming, threshing and road grading.
HESS, MRS. MARGARET
Mrs. Margaret Hess was born at Bavari, Germany, March 2, 1850. She came to America when two years old, living at Lyons and Clinton.
She was married to William H. Hess Oct. 14, 1869 at Clinton. They came to this community April 27, 1880, and have lived in Odebolt since. Mr. Hess died Oct. 20, 1926, and Mrs. Hess goes to Des Moines each winter to make her home with her daughters.
Two sons and two daughters compose their family, the sons residing in Canada.
LINDSKOOG, M.E. (note: Milton
M.E. Lindskoog was born on a farm in Wheeler township April 24, 1887. He has continued to make this township his residence and has farmed and been an agent for insurance.
He was married to Anna S. Johnson at Albert City Feb. 24, 1909. They have a family of four children, all of them living.
WAGGONER, MRS. ELLA
Mrs. Ella S. Waggoner was born at Mechanicsburg, Pa., Feb. 12, 1862. She was married there on Feb. 23, 1882, to Charles Waggoner. The following March they came to this community and lived here for a year. The next year they went back to Mechanicsburg and farmed for nine years. For the next two years they lived in that town, coming to Odebolt in April 1894. From 1906 to 1908, they resided in New Cumberland, Pa. then in Salix from 1908 to 1909. From then on she has resided in Odebolt. Mr. Waggoner died Feb. 1, 1914 after a short illness.
Four daughters were born to them, all of them living.
LINDEN, ANDREW J.
Andrew J. Linden was born in Sweden Aug. 21, 1854. He came from Sweden to this community in March 1880. He worked on the Wheeler ranch (now Fairview farm) until 1895.
He was married to Mathilda Anderson Feb. 25, 1883. Mrs. Linden died in 1888 and Mr. Linden was re-married Oct. 17, 1890, to Hilma Anderson at Odebolt. They resided on their farm in Wheeler until 1920, when they moved to Odebolt.
Mr. Linden is the father of eight children, seven of whom are living.
LINDEN, MRS. HILMA
Mrs. Hilma Linden was born in Sweden Jan. 26, 1864. She came directly to this community from Sweden in July, 1888. She first resided in Odebolt and remained here until 1895.
She was married to Andrew J. Linden Oct. 17, 1890, at Odebolt. In 1895, they moved to a farm in Wheeler township, which was their home until 1920, when the family moved to Odebolt again and have lived here since. Mrs. Linden is the mother of seven children, six of whom are living.
LARSON, CHARLES E.
Charles E. Larson was born at Lidkoping, Sweden, Nov. 12, 1862. He emigrated to this country and landed in this community Aug. 20, 1888.
He worked on the Cook ranch for 10 years and was in the restaurant for 35 years, always conducting his restaurant on Second Street, first on the north side and then on the south side. (more about Charlie Larson)
CHANDLER, PHILIP L.
Philip L. Chandler of Thurston, Neb., was born on a farm near Odebolt Jan. 12. 1880. This was his home until his parents moved to town and lived in the present L. W. Schramm residence now occupied by Mrs. Esther Larson. He lived in Oregon in 1900.
He was married to Etta. A. Epperson Sept. 16, 1908, at Sioux City. They are the parents of three sons, all living in Washington.
CHANDLER, MRS. ETTA
Mrs. Etta Chandler of Thurston, Neb., formerly Etta Epperson, was born at Odebolt Sept. 21, 1883. She resided in the late T. E. Epperson home, now occupied by Ora Epperson, until her marriage.
She married Philip L. Chandler at Sioux City Sept. 16, 1908, and since that time has lived in Lyons, Neb., from 1908 to 1915; from there they moved to Pender, Neb., and in 1925 to Thurston, Neb. They are the parents of three sons, all living in Washington. Mrs. Chandler was formerly a telephone operator in Odebolt.
ANDERSON, GUST A.
Gust A. Anderson was born at Linkoping, Sweden, March 14, 1855. He was married in Sweden to Emma Anderson Nov. 2, 1879. The following spring he and his bride came to this community and lived on farms until they moved to Odebolt. They were the parents of eight children, six of whom are living. Mrs. Anderson died Sept. 4, 1919.
Mr. Anderson left Odebolt Mar. 1, 1933 to make his home with his daughter, Mrs. Oscar Peterson at Floyd.
Click for more information on this family
KESSLER, E. H.
Ed H. Kessler was born on a farm in Clinton township April 22, 1880. He has lived in this community continuously, living in Richland township northeast of town until 1937, when he and his wife moved to town.
He was married to Lydia Wallbaum June 22, 1910. They are the parents of two children.
PETERSMEYER, AUGUST C.
August C. Petersmeyer was born Nov. 21, 1863, at Cedar Lake, Ind. His family and he came to this community July 4, 1872. He has resided on a farm in Richland township and in Odebolt since 1889. He and his sister, Mrs. Frank Searight, have the distinction of living in Odebolt longer than any other members of the Half Century club.
He was married to Wilhelmina M. Meyer June 11, 1896, at Odebolt. One daughter was born to them in 1898 and died in 1899. Mr. Petersmeyer was a livestock dealer and seed dealer, specializing in popcorn, from 1889 to 1919.
NUNEMAKER, MRS. ROSE
Mrs. Rose Nunemaker, formerly Rose Miller, was born at Bridgeport, Pa., Aug. 14, 1878. She and family came to Odebolt when she was four years old (1882) and this has since been her home.
She was married to Harry Nunemaker Aug. 4, 1898, at Lake View. They are the parents of four daughters, all living.
REYNOLDS, MRS. TERESA
Mrs. Teresa Reynolds, formerly Teresa Shea, was born in Lake county, Ill., April 7, 1870. She came to Iowa in 1876, settling in Wheeler township until 1881, when she moved to the Odebolt community.
She was married to John A. Reynolds Dec. 24, 1892, at Sioux City. Their family is composed of five children, all living. Mr. Reynolds died July 5, 1910.
Mrs. Reynolds spent six years on the farm and the balance of her life in town. She is a member of the Order of the Eastern Star.
DINGES, FRED J.
Fred J. Dinges of Long Beach, Cal. was born at Sublette, Ill., Oct. 4, 1879. The next spring (1880) he and parents came to this community and resided on a farm in Richland township. For the last 40 years he has lived in Odebolt, until Sept. 25, 1937, when he moved to Omaha, Neb., for a short time and then moved to long Beach.
He was married Feb. 14, 1917, to Catherine L. Simon at Frenchtown, Ind. One daughter was born to them but is now deceased.
Mr. Dinges was engaged in the general merchandise and garage businesses while in Odebolt. He is a member of the Knights of Columbus order.
STOCK, WILL J.
Will J. Stock was born at Arcadia June 7, 1875. He came to this community the same year and lived one mile west of Wall Lake on a farm.
He was married to Emma Hanke Nov. 29, 1898, at Wall Lake. After his marriage, he moved to a farm east of Carnarvon for eight years. Four sons and one daughter were born to this union, all living. Mr. and Mrs. Stock moved to Odebolt in 1926 and have resided here since.
BRIGGLE, ERNEST H. (see also
information on John G. Briggle submitted by
Mary Jo Weedon)
Ernest H. Briggle was born Sept. 3, 1882 at Des Moines. The same year his parents came to this city and he has resided here continuously.
Mr. Briggle never married, but has made his home with his sister and family, the Leo Johnsons.
From “Fifty Years Of Progress”, The Odebolt Chronicle, Vol. 51, No.
31, Pages 1 -7, Thursday, August 25, 1938
transcribed by B. Girvan Horak from the original 1938 publication