On the 2d day of January, 1849,
For agricultural purposes none better lies out of doors. All of its timber is found on the western border, along the banks of the south fork of the Maquoketa, which affords ample water and drainage. Corn, wheat, rye, oats, potatoes, grasses, etc., grow to luxuriance here and the raising of cattle for the market and dairying is a very profitable industry of the community.
Theodore Marks was elected
first clerk of
“ theodore marks,
From this primitive record the reader learns that the following named persons, among others, were residents of the township in the '50s. Of course, a number came before: James Barnes, Peter Heinan, Jacob Lanier, Ira G. Green, Simeon Eller, Lerov Jackson, Allen A. Wilson, George Rutherford, Daniel Livingston, Archibald Tate, William Morgan, Ebenezer Culver, William Carpenter, A. A. Wilson, James L. Getten, Jacob Diffenderfer, Sylvester Meade, James Hardesty, Thomas Mathers, Christian Myers, George Connery, James Hardy, James P. Farmer, Joseph Porter, W. P. Cunningham, Thomas Boy, John McQuig, G. R. Browder, John M. Holmes, Franklin Lewis, Edmund Davis, Isaac Smith, Lewis Matthew, Peter H. Warner, William Holt, I. C. McVey, Jerome T. Davis, A. Nash, G. J. Bentley, William Ireland, John Livingston, H. P. Fletcher, Joseph Cool, T. H. Bowen, Thomas Cearns, Ashford Smith, E. Baldwin, William A. Roberts, J. Cadwell, James Harper, Andrew A. Lowe, William Spence, M. Byington, R. M. Brooks, A. Kirkwood and W. H. Finley.
The first settlers in this township were James
and Hugh Livingston and Hugh Rose, who were of a party of emigrants from the
Selkirk Colony in
The next to take up a habitation in South Fork were the Nicholsons, Thomas, his wife, and sons, William and Montgomery Nicholson, who came in the spring of 1838 and located near the Maquoketa River, on land which is now a part of Hopkinton. Here they built a cabin and broke a small piece of prairie. In the month of March the elder Nicholson was laid low with a mortal malady and died.
Leroy Jackson was the third settler in this
community. He was a man who had spent his boyhood days on the
A word or two in
relation to the efforts of Carter and Jackson in building up a new country and
from whence they came. Leroy Jackson was born in
H. A. Carter was born in
settled in the southeast part of the county near the
Theodore Marks came here and entered a tract of land about three miles northeast of Leroy Jackson's in 1841. He was first clerk of the township after its organization in 1849.
S. M. Slausen was a
Elliott M. Chapman, a native of
James Harper was one of the
prominent men of
Norman Luke left his native State of
HOPKINTON LAID OUT
The Town of
SOME EARLY CITIZENS
William H. Martin settled on Plum Creek in July, 1843, with his family and engaged in farming. His father, William Martin, died here in 1876 and that same year William H. became a resident of Hopkinton and was elected mayor in 1877.
William B. Morgan was born in
Isaac Smith moved on to a farm six miles west of Hopkinton in 1846. In 1855 he moved into the village when there were only two houses in existence there. He paid his attention to farming and also worked at carpentry. Mr. Smith was a member of Company F, Thirty-seventh Iowa, the famous "Gray Beards” and served the county faithfully and well for four years as sheriff.
James Hardy was born in the State of
F. W. Doolittle was born at
One of the first blacksmiths in Hopkinton was L. C. Tapping, who came from
Among the early residents of Hopkinton was Peter H. Warner, who located in the village in April, 1856. He served a clerkship in a general store until his arrival in Hopkinton, when he went into business for himself. He was postmaster at the village eight years and held other positions in the township of trust and responsibility. Mr. Warner established the first drug, dental, photographic and jewelry business at Hopkinton, and called the first meeting held in the interests of the Davenport & Northwestern Railway Company.
Gorham K. Nash was born in the State of
first saw the light of day in bonny
was a prominent figure in the educational field of music. He
was a native of
Robert G. Crawford was a pioneer merchant
of Hopkinton. He was a native of
There was quite an influx of people seeking homes in this beautiful new country in 1856. About this time appeared Rev. W. L. Roberts, a clergyman of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, located here, preached the Gospel to the scattered settlers and was a strong force in persuading a number of his religious faith to become residents of Hopkinton and the nearby farms.
J. H. Campbell was one of the early merchants. There were also Barker & Campbell, general merchandise; A. Kirkwood, undertaker and furniture. Other early merchants were C. E. Merriam & Company, Jo Bernard, P. O. Joseph; Williamson & McBride, drugs; H. Livingston, drugs; J. G. Wallace, hardware; restaurant, Charles Abbott; millinery, Misses M. & N. Dawson; harness, C. F. Shimeal. P. H. Warner was a notary public here in the '60s, so was M. Harmon; C. E. Reeve had a meat market, James McArthur flour store, G. H. Crawford, W. P. Gerry and J. H. Williamson early blacksmiths; John Dunlap, wagon maker; livery stables, N. Loop and Lough & King; lumber, P. D. Smith.
The firm of Campbell & Williamson built an elevator in 1873. In 1863 the elevator at Sand Springs was moved to Hopkinton by John Stevenson.
Dr. W. H. Finley was one of the first
physicians to take up the practice in
The Davenport & St. Paul Railroad,
James H. Bowen, who came here in 1855, saw the land was adapted to the raising of broom corn, which led him to induce Samuel Dickerson to join him in the manufacture of brooms on the Bowen land near Hopkinton. A crop of broom corn was raised in 1856, which was worked into brooms in an establishment, having necessary machinery, built by Bowen & Dickerson. Shortly after others took up the industry and followed it several years.
Disputes and tragedies were frequent even in the
days of pioneering. It is said, in this relation, that
Another crime was committed here while
Hopkinton was yet in its infancy. Edward Kennedy, who lived a few miles west of
town, was shot while preparing his evening meal, by John Duncan. Kennedy, an
old man, was found the next morning lying dead on his kitchen floor.
Theodore Marks was the first township clerk and later became justice of the peace. He was a unique character in some respects, as his township record and the following marriage certificate will attest:
EVERYBODY COULD NOT ATTEND
"I hereby certify that on the 20th day of February, A. D., 1851, at the house of William Dighton, in Delhi Township, Delaware County, Iowa, in the presence of the above named William Dighton and his wife, his father, two brothers, two sisters, one brother-in-law, one sister-in-law, three step-children, several of his own children, nephews and nieces, friends and acquaintances, neighbors, etc., I joined in the holy bonds of matrimony Mr. Anthony McGarvey, of Scott County, Iowa, aged 24 years, and Miss Mary Ann Morgan, stepdaughter to the above mentioned William Dighton, of this county, aged 18 years.
"Given under my hand this 20th day of February, A. D. 1851.
"Justice of the
streams being up very high, everybody could not attend. The
undersigned had to travel sixteen miles extra to get home. T. M."
Bowen Collegiate Institute was founded in the
year 1865 by certain of the citizens
of Hopkinton. and was named in commemoration of C. T.
F. E. Williamson established the present brickyard about twenty years ago and it is now in his hands.
Archibald Tate established a brickyard almost on the same site as the present one, fifty years ago. The college, churches and many old buildings were of brick got there.
INCORPORATION OF HOPKINTON
Hopkinton’s growth was gradual and substantial. The town was a good trading point and by the year 1874 there wore about three hundred and fifty people within its borders. A number of enterprising men were engaged in different lines of business, good schools were in operation, the institute was on a sure footing, church edifices were to be seen and the commercial, educational and religious aspect was pleasant and satisfactory. Transportation facilities had been greatly enhanced and the prospects were so flattering that the leading men of the community felt the time had arrived for independence from township government. This led to a successful movement for incorporation.
At an election in Lathrop’s Hall,
The first real business of the newly made council was to pass an ordinance to create the offices of marshal, treasurer and street commissioner.
The next municipal election was held March 1, 1875. J. G. Diffenderfer was returned for mayor; D. A. Barnes, clerk; J. G. Diffenderfer, street commissioner; M. H. Harding, assessor; J. P. Cramer, marshal; P. H. Warner, P. P. Westcott, E. W. Harvey, Charles Lathrop, James Williamson, trustees. Since its incorporation in 1874 until the present the following persons in addition to those above named have held the office of mayor of Hopkinton:
F. M. Earhart, 1880-81; J. H. Campbell, 1882; N. J. Dunham, 1883; S. P. Carter, 1884-86; C. E. Merriam, 1887; J. H. Campbell, 1888; John Chrystal, 1889-90; C. E. Reeve, 1891-92; S. P. Carter, 1893-95; G. Merriam, 1896; F. A. Williamson, 1897; G. Merriam, 1898-1900; F. R. Tesar, 1901; S. P. Carter, 1902-04; T. C. Reeve, 1905-09; F. A. Irish, 1910-11; D. C. Oehler, 1912-13; J. J. Kirkwood, 1914.
MUNICIPAL WATERWORKS SYSTEM
At a special election held on the 15th day of April, 1901, the question of erecting and maintaining a system of waterworks was placed before the taxpayers of Hopkinton, and 160 votes were cast on the proposition; 116 for, and 43 against, of the male votes. The women, who were graciously (?) accorded the right of suffrage on the subject, cast 153 ballots; 97 for, 51 against; 5, spoiled.
The election plainly indicated that a majority
of Hopkinton people desired plenty of water, not only because their principles
were in favor of it as the best and most refreshing beverage for man, but also
the added reason that the town demanded more and better protection against the
destructive element of fire. Therefore, lots were purchased for a power and
pumping station, secured of S. P. Carter for the sum of $250, and located on
Public Square Addition. A contract was let to the Des Moines Bridge & Iron
Works Company of
Peter Milroy secured a franchise for an electric light and power plant in 1892 and furnished both the town and private consumers with electricity. The franchise was renewed in 1912. The plant is installed in the old grist mill, on the south side of the Maquoketa. In 1912, William Milroy. a son, the present owner and manager, inaugurated a continuous service. In November, 1912, the merchants, at their own expense, bought and set up eighteen 5-globe electroliers, on First and Locust streets, and donated them to the town.
was established here in 1852, and Archibald Tate, pioneer brickmaker
The first schoolhouse built in this district was
a log cabin, situated at the edge of a small
strip of woods, called Scotch Grove, about midway of
the town and the settlement where the Scotch people located. The
settlers hauled the logs in the winter of 1849 and themselves
put up the rude temple of learning. Miss Beard, a
In March, 1865, the independent district was
organized by the election of Henry A. Carter, president of the board of
directors; J. G. Diffenderfer, vice president; Edmund
Davis, treasurer; A. Nash, secretary; C. A. Ball, G. H. Crawford and G.
Merriam. On March 13th, the board voted a tax of 5 mills for school purposes and at the next meeting
appointed G. Merriam, Leroy Jackson and A. Nash a committee with
instructions to build another schoolhouse and have it completed by
As early as 1854, the late Henry A.
Carter cherished the hope of establishing a college at Hopkinton. Mr. Carter
had been born and raised in
In March, 1856, a building
committee was appointed to proceed to the erection of the college building. This was
In June, 1856, the name of Bowen
Collegiate Institute was adopted in honor of C. T. Bowen, of
In September, 1856, the members of the first board of trustees were elected and in October of the same year the first articles of incorporation were filed, the institution therefore being, from the beginning, entitled to all the rights and privileges of a college. The names of the members of the first board of trustees were: Henry A. Carter, president; W. P. Cunningham, secretary; Leroy Jackson, treasurer; James Kilpatrick, H. R. Hackson, Asa C. Bowen, Edmund Davis, I. Littlefield, Christian Myers, W. A. Roberts, William Robinson, William Holt, Jacob Diffenderfer, William Morrison, J. B. Whittaker, and Jerome Davis.
In the autumn of 1856, the foundation of the
center of the main building was laid and the roof put on in 1857. This was a
two-story brick structure 40x60, containing eight rooms built in the center of
a four-acre plot of ground donated by Mr. H. A. Carter. The campus was
afterwards enlarged by another donation by
Mr. Carter's son, Samuel P. It is a beautiful piece of ground, sloping
in all directions from the main building, with a slight ridge running through
the center from north to south. It is artistically set with groups and rows and
groves of sturdy oaks and spreading elms and graceful, symmetrical, hard
maples. The "fifties" were early days for
Finally by means of a public
entertainment and a festival sufficient money was raised to prepare the inside
of the building for occupation and on
The control of the institution was
tendered the Old School Presbyterian Synod
of Iowa, North, in 1860, and that body the following year took a limited supervision.
In 1863 two of the principal stockholders, H. A. Carter and Leroy Jackson,
obtained a sheriff's deed for the property of the corporation, after the
trustees concluded that they were unable to meet the obligations that were contracted in building. These two men
presented the entire college property to the synod. A deed was signed
The first president of the institution was the Rev. Jerome Allen, Ph. D., who occupied
from 1859 to 1863 and for two years
additional acted as financial agent and teacher of natural science and English
literature. Doctor Allen was one of the foremost educators of his day. He was
the author of a number of books and established the department of pedagogy in
the university of the City of
Next came the soldier
president, the Rev. J. W. McKean, A. M., 1863-1864. One morning a recruiting
officer attended chapel service and after a strong and noble appeal by
President McKean for the young men to
obey the call of President Lincoln to enlist in the army of the Union,
he informed the students that a recruiting officer was present and all who wished to enlist should arise. All
arose and enlisted but one and he was too young. The
faculty and girl students were in tears and President McKean closed the tender
scene by saying, "Well, boys, if all of you are going, I am going
too." President McKean resigned May 6, 1864, and entered the army as captain of a company in which
all but two of the students enlisted. The work of the institute was suspended
till the fall term.
For a brief period, from
In September, 1866, the Rev. Samuel Hodge, D. D., who for one year had been professor of languages, was chosen president and filled that office with becoming dignity and increasing power till 1882.
In 1875 the original building was enlarged by a wing 55x30 feet. This additional room was made necessary by the increased attendance of students, the number for one term reaching 200. This convenient improvement in the size of the building is due, for the most part, to the liberality of the citizens of Hopkinton and vicinity. The times were hard and money was scarce. Every effort had been exhausted to secure enough funds to complete this wing and still the amount was not sufficient. Mr. Carter had hauled brick on to a piece of ground adjoining the campus where he had planned to erect a cottage and spend the rest of his days. It was at this juncture that Mr. and Mrs. Carter decided to give their brick for the new wing, and not in connection with the erecting of the original building as is sometimes stated. The brick were removed and built into the wing which has served the institution for nearly thirty-five years. So Mr. and Mrs. Carter never had their brick cottage and the land on which it was to have been erected was afterwards given to the college for an extension of the campus by their son who fell heir to it as noted above.
In 1882 the trustees departed from the prevailing custom and elected as president a layman in the person of James A. Ritchey, Ph. D., who was an experienced educator and for six years labored with marked success. In 1883 the curriculum of the college was revised and greatly extended and provided for three regular courses of study as well as for many electives. Thus the institution was made equal to the best average college in the state. This year the Helen Finley bequest of $5,000 was made as an addition to the permanent funds. During this year also occurred the death of H. A. Carter who was the first president of the board of trustees and a life-long friend and generous supporter of the college.
In 1884 the articles of incorporation were so
amended as to change the name of Lenox Collegiate Institute to
In 1884 the quarter centennial of the college was celebrated. An unusually large number of people were present at that commencement season. Every year in the life of the college seemed to have sent back former students to represent it. The Old Students' Association, organized in 1883, made its first public appearance, effected this general reunion, and contributed much to the social and literary interest of the occasion. This association was composed of former non-graduate students. The organization was suggested by Mrs. Lucy Cooley Finley, first preceptress in the .school. The first officers were: F. B. Dickey, president; Christina M. Kirkwood, secretary.
During the summer of 1888 the board of
trustees chose the Rev. Alexander G. Wilson,
In the spring of 1894 the Rev. Hugh
Robinson, A. M., a son of Lenox College, and a brilliant preacher, was chosen
president and remained for two years in that office. During the presidency of
Reverend Mr. Robinson considerable field
work was done which resulted in increased enrollment. At the commencement
of 1895 the friends who gathered on the
campus to enjoy the exercises of the day contributed $2,500 toward the erection
of a new building to be used for the library, gymnasium, and literary society
halls. James McKean, M. D., '80, of Chenung Mai,
Next came Andrew G. Wilson, A. M., who was chosen president in the spring of 1896. He too is an alumnus, '80, and in 1884 began to teach natural science in Lenox College. He is the peer of any teacher in his department. His scientific knowledge is extensive and his quiet but forceful manner qualified him for the position he held till the spring of 1902. In 1897, though the times were hard, the people of Hopkinton and vicinity loyally and nobly responded with $5,000 for permanent endowment. It was during President Wilson's time that the new building used for library and gymnasium was completed. Due to the generous gift of Judge F. B. Doolittle of Delhi, Iowa, the building was named Doolittle Memorial Hall in honor of his son, F. W. Doolittle, of sacred memory. In 1901 Mr. Wilson resigned but remained at his post of duty till the close of the winter term, 1901-2.
In February, 1902, the Rev. Francis
Progress in the curriculum was also made. The courses were revised and extended and there was a decided increase in the requirements both for admission and graduation.
In July, 1906, Doctor
Grossman resigned and in August of the same year Rev. E. E. Reed,
Doctor Reed set himself about securing subscriptions to meet the conditions of Mr. Carnegie's offer of $25,000, which had been made sixteen months before and towards which only a small amount had been subscribed. Many thought the undertaking could not be carried to a successful issue. The new president thought it could and accepted the presidency with this belief. He began by setting a time limit on the subscriptions at January 1, 1909—allowing thus a little over two years in which to complete the work. It was not an easy task by any means and yet the full amount was finally secured 3 1/2 months ahead of the time limit and was carried $8,000 beyond the required amount by the end of the time limit.
A second campaign was soon started for $65,000,
of which $25,000 was to be an endowment for the agricultural department. It was
afterwards advanced to $75,000. A. long
and serious illness of the president laid
him aside from his work for some nine months. In the meantime, Mr. Archibald
Livingston, a citizen near Hopkinton,
died, leaving a legacy estimated to be worth $30,000 to
The academic course has been advanced during the present administration from a three-year to a four-year course and in other ways the educational standards of the college have been raised. Departments of agriculture and domestic science have been added. The former was advocated by President Reed in his inaugural address. At that time an agricultural department was a new thing for a college that was devoting itself to classical and general scientific work. These departments have been put on a strong footing and the studies taken are given regular college credit.
The library has been considerably more than doubled in number of volumes and in efficiency has been augmented much more than the increase in volumes would indicate. Over twelve hundred dollars has been put into six-foot cement walks over and along the campus. One block east of the campus ten acres have been purchased, five of which are used for athletics and five acres for the agricultural department.
In connection with the first campaign Mr.
and Mrs. C. O. Torrey, of
The membership of the faculty has been almost doubled and the salaries have been materially increased. The annual expense budget has been almost doubled.
The assets of the college have been advanced from $65,370 to $250,916. Besides this, some twelve wills have been written in which Lenox is made a beneficiary. The college is yet to realize on most of these wills. This alone will add considerably to the present assets even though no other money was secured for the college in the meantime.
REFORMED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
“Psalm singers'' were the first settlers in the
neighborhood of the present Town of
The first Reformed Presbyterian family came to
Hopkinton "with faint hopes of
seeing a congregation of Reformed Presbyterians growing up around them."
It was the family of James Kilpatrick, who came to Hopkinton in the fall of
1853, and of whose influence upon the
growth of Hopkinton we spoke before. Mr. Kilpatrick immediately bought land for
himself and for his two brothers-in-law, J. B. Whitaker and Dr. H. P.
Cunningham, who followed him in the early spring of 1854. These faithful
covenanters not only brought their family altars with them, but thought of the
observance of the divine ordinances as soon as they were settled. Thus Rev.
James Neill preached several times to them during the years 1854 and 1855, and
Mr. Kilpatrick's log cabin served as the church. Other Reformed Presbyterian
families began to move in during 1855, of which we will name the families of
Joseph, Miller, Milroy, Gilmore and McConnell, and the desire to have a
congregation organized was expressed. The people entered into correspondence
with Rev. William L. Roberts,
This commission, consisting of Reverends
McDonald and Cannon, and Elder David Willson,
appeared to organize the congregation
Thus the Reformed Presbyterian Congregation was organized, and pastor, elders and members began active work immediately. The congregation was divided into three prayer meetings (societies) and Doctor Roberts preached two sermons every Sabbath, using Mr. Kilpatrick's house as a church. Later services were held in what is known as the "red brick" schoolhouse, and still later in the large room over Farmer's wagon shop; but in the summer Doctor Roberts preached in the grove. The audiences, especially in the afternoons were very large, because Doctor Roberts was an excellent orator.
During the years 1856, 1857 and 1858 the membership of the congregation rapidly increased. We find added to the roll the names of James Greer, November 19, 1856; James Stevenson, Alex Marshall, William Coleman, James Orr, Peter Outline, William Wright, William Morrison, James Wood, William and Nancy Stevenson (now Mrs. Cormany), all in July, 1857; and of the Douglas and McGlade families, Alex and John Johnson, Hugh Ewart and the brothers Chrystal, all in November, 1858.
The congregation, thus increasing,
desired a church building, and in the fall of 1858 the work on the timber for
the new church was begun. Mr. Robertson made the plan; Mr. Humphreys did the
main work on the foundation; the
brothers Fuller superintended the carpenter work; and all the members of the church worked together in peace and
brotherly love. Thus in September, 1860, the church was finished. This served
the congregation forty-one years and
stands today well preserved, a memorial of the
consecration and zeal of our fathers. In August, 1860,
had occurred the installation of Doctor Roberts as pastor, which, through
peculiar circumstances, had been delayed since 1856. The remaining years of his
pastorate were years of quiet work and prosperity and the utmost harmony
prevailed between pastor and people, so that it was a hard blow to the
congregation when Doctor Roberts was suddenly called to his rest,
After the death of Doctor Roberts the
pulpit was regularly supplied by the other ministers of the Reformed Presbyterian
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
of the Cedar Rapids Presbytery, Rev. A. F. Kerr, on the 5th day of October, 1855, organized the First
Presbyterian Church, of Hopkinton, with
the following members: John Williamson and wife, Mrs. Sarah B. Williamson, Mrs.
Mary A. Hardy, Mrs. Clarinda Davis, Mrs. Sarah Livingston, Mrs. Isabella Livingston, Mrs. Porthura
Livingston, T. N. Williamson and
wife. John Williamson was elected
ruling elder .and served one year, when Robert Wilson, E. T. Williamson,
Just when the first house of worship was erected
is not definitely known by any one now living in the vicinity. But
The church now standing, an ornament to the town and a splendid monument to the memory of its projectors and supporters, was finished in 1905 and dedicated on Sunday, June 11th. The morning sermon was delivered by Reverend Doctor Robinson, of Dubuque; afternoon, by Reverend Doctor Ruston; and evening, by Reverend Doctor Fahs, of Independence. After the impressive exercises the presiding pastor announced that the church was free from debt.
The First Presbyterian Church building is architectually all that could be desired. It stands at the
The following named clergymen have been pastors of this church as successors to Rev. Merritt Harmon: Jerome Allen, first president of Lenox College; Reverend Doctor Mason, a few months; Samuel Hodge; M. Stevenson, an evangelist, a brief period; Henry Cullen; H. Gill, "who could conduct the college, sing in the choir and, withal, preach a sermon of more than average merit;'' Alexander Scott, two years; J. M. Smith; Charles Fish, one year; Doctor McIntosh, who came in 1895 and was pastor in 1905, at the time of the dedication. Others who preached at various times were Revs. Hugh Robinson, W. J. Bollman and Doctor Coulter. The present pastor is W. H. Ensign.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
The annual conference held at McGregor in
September, 1862, organized the Hopkinton Circuit, and for the first year
included the following appointments: Hopkinton,
During Reverend Whitman's charge two substantial
churches were built, one at Hopkinton and the other at Sand Springs. The old
This charge was arranged in its present
FARMERS EXCHANGE BANK
Exchange Bank was established as a private concern in Hopkinton,
In June, 1878, Frank Thompson entered the bank as bookkeeper and was succeeded in January, 1881, by F. W. Doolittle.
The bank began operations
on the south side of
The present officials of the Hopkinton State Bank are: F. E. Williamson, president; Mary R. Doolittle, vice president; F. C. Reeve, cashier. Capital, $40,000: surplus and undivided profits, $32,000: deposits, $306,000.
THE FARMERS STATE BANK
One of the strong and influential
financial institutions of
At a regular meeting of the directors, in January, 1910, W. S. Johnson succeeded to the presidency, and at the same time S. M. Hucker followed S. P. Thorpe as vice president. John Turnis took the latter office in 1913.
The official list now appears as follows: W. S. Johnson, president; John Turnis, vice president; A. W. McDonald, cashier. Directors: R. J. McNeil, Ralph Milroy. W. S. Johnson, A. W. McDonald, James F. Delay, James Kehoe, John Turnis, J. W. Milroy, Frank King. Capital. $25,000; surplus, $7,000; deposits, $115,000.
Rising Sun Lodge, A. P. & A. M., No.
187, was organized at
Sunbeam Chapter, Order Eastern Star, was organized March 2, 1905, with the following charter members and officers: W. M., Mrs. C. E. Reeve; W. P., W. S. Beels; A. M., Mrs. R. G. Crawford; secretary, Miss Emma Richardson; treasurer, Mrs. J. S. McConnell; conductress, Mrs. T. B. Tibbitts; assistant conductress, Mrs. J. J. Kirkwood; Adah, Miss Alice Crawford; Ruth, Mrs. L. P. Cummings; Esther, Mrs. P. R. Wheeless; Martha, Mrs. J. D. Morgan; Electa, Mrs. F. E. Williamson; warder, Mrs. J. S. Deshaw; sentinel, G. H. Deshaw: chaplain, Mrs. A. B. Wheeless; marshal, Mrs. W. A. Place; organist, Mrs. Bollman. Other charter members were: Mesdames A. Richardson, M. C. Merriam, C. Guthaus, Harry Wilson, W. A. Lang, J. Baker, — Nichols, Ola Snyder, John Lawson, C. C. Hoag, J. C. Matthews, Mr. and Mrs. T. B. Armstrong and Mr. and Mrs. John Hilsenbeck.
Lodge, No. 525. Independent Order Odd Fellows,
Amon Lodge, No. 115, Daughters of Rebekah, was organized in September, 1902. The lodge now has a membership of about sixty.
Sand Spring is one of the primitive towns of
Delaware County that cut some figure
in its day as a trading point, but with the passing of time and events and the
control of man, its prestige long since has taken wings and but little is left
of the place to speak of. Be that as it may, however, the village was laid out by Surveyor George Welch in January,
1858, for the owners, T. H. Bowen and L. H. Langworthy.
Mr. Bowen had located a large tract of
land here and in the vicinity and in
1856 the Southwestern (
The first building in Sand Spring, a log cabin, was put up by Asa C. Bowen in 1852 and he was one of the first to locate in this vicinity.
In the year 1858 an important event occurred, in
the arrival of a number of families belonging to the "Exodus
Colony" formed in
Reverend Bolles was an
earnest, eloquent preacher, a good man, who fulfilled the duties imposed upon
him in purchasing the "Colony” land and making
arrangements for the "Exodists." That the
primary scheme of colonizing
A school was opened here in the summer of 1858 by Miss Lucy Battles, daughter of Otis Battles. Later, in 1868, a commodious and substantial school building was erected. E. P. Couser was principal of the graded school.
The Methodists had organized a society and, in 1865, erected a house of worship. A similar building was put up by the Baptists in 1868.
The Southwestern, now under the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul System, failed to reach Sand Spring in the fall of 1858. This was irksome to those who had contributed to the building of the road, as they needed and greatly desired railroad communication with the outer world. The spring of 1859 came and still the rails were three miles distant. This led the farmers and business men, and even their women folks, to pitch in and help the track layers finish their work into the village. It is said that Mrs. Asa C. Bowen, Mrs. Karst and other helpful pioneer matrons, assisted in carrying and placing the ties.
When the Davenport & St. Paul (
The postoffice at Sand Spring was established in 1858, and T. H. Bowen was commissioned postmaster on the 19th day of June, 1858. The names of his successors follow: William Cline, April 16, 1860; E. H. Sellers, January 30, 1861; Robert Elliott, April 25, 1863; Orson Henry, December 17, 1863; S. R. Tuttle, May 18, 1870: G. H. Brown, October 20. 1871; Leonard Loffelholz, April 13, 1886: G. H. Brown, May 9, 1889; O. J. McGinnis, June 30, 1893; Adam Reichart, October 2, 1895: F. E. Wood, Jr., July 30, 1897; S. D. Garlinghouse, March 2, 1903; William J. Gelvin, December 14, 1906; Alexander Blair, March 23, 1909.
For a number of years the manufacture of brooms was an important industry at this place, T. H. and Asa C. Bowen, of Hopkinton giving it an impetus that put the innovation on a substantial footing. Broom making meant raising of the raw product, all of which increased the revenues of those directly interested.
Becky Teubner, Contributor
Back to Main Page
Back to Iowa AHGP
Back to AHGP