On the 2d day of January, 1849, North Fork Township was divided and a new township created, which was named South Fork. It is civil township 87 north, range 3 west, and is bounded on the north by North Fork Township, on the south by Jones County, on the west by Union Township, and on the east by Dubuque County.


For agricultural purposes none better lies out of doors. All of its timber is found on the western border, along the banks of the south fork of the Maquoketa, which affords ample water and drainage. Corn, wheat, rye, oats, potatoes, grasses, etc., grow to luxuriance here and the raising of cattle for the market and dairying is a very profitable industry of the community.


Theodore Marks was elected first clerk of South Fork Township and, strange to say, his old minute book is still intact and a part of the township records. The following extract from that historically valuable old book may be of some interest:


"June 4, 1849. This day the trustees met pursuant to notice of May 28. Present, the whole band and proceeded to business. Samuel Whitaker and Barnabas Dighton were appointed supervisors and duly qualified. The town­ship was then divided into road districts. Samuel P. Whitaker, supervisor of No. 1; Charles Ruff, No. 2; Barnabas Dighton, No. 3.

theodore  marks,

"Town Clerk."


From this primitive record the reader learns that the following named per­sons, among others, were residents of the township in the '50s. Of course, a number came before: James Barnes, Peter Heinan, Jacob Lanier, Ira G. Green, Simeon Eller, Lerov Jackson, Allen A. Wilson, George Rutherford, Daniel Livingston, Archibald Tate, William Morgan, Ebenezer Culver, William Carpenter, A. A. Wilson, James L. Getten, Jacob Diffenderfer, Sylvester Meade, James Hardesty, Thomas Mathers, Christian Myers, George Connery, James Hardy, James P. Farmer, Joseph Porter, W. P. Cunningham, Thomas Boy, John McQuig, G. R. Browder, John M. Holmes, Franklin Lewis, Edmund Davis, Isaac Smith, Lewis Matthew, Peter H. Warner, William Holt, I. C. McVey, Jerome T. Davis, A. Nash, G. J. Bentley, William Ireland, John Livingston, H. P. Fletcher, Joseph Cool, T. H. Bowen, Thomas Cearns, Ashford Smith, E. Baldwin, William A. Roberts, J. Cadwell, James Harper, Andrew A. Lowe, William Spence, M. Byington, R. M. Brooks, A. Kirkwood and W. H. Finley.


The first settlers in this township were James and Hugh Livingston and Hugh Rose, who were of a party of emigrants from the Selkirk Colony in Northern Canada. They settled at "Scotch Grove," in Jones County, in 1837, and were here joined by Hugh Livingston. The three named adventurers came that year to Delaware County and located a short distance below the present town site of Hopkinton. The Livingstons entered land, improved farms and became men of influence in the church and the community generally. They settled on sections 19 and 30 and made the second claim in the county. In the winter of 1846-7, Hugh Livingston, accompanied by a nephew, went to Cascade with his team, and reaching the forks of the road the young men separated. However, when Hugh's team reached home he was not in the wagon. The family at once became alarmed and instituting a search, found him by the road side quite dead; he had frozen to death.


The next to take up a habitation in South Fork were the Nicholsons, Thomas, his wife, and sons, William and Montgomery Nicholson, who came in the spring of 1838 and located near the Maquoketa River, on land which is now a part of Hopkinton. Here they built a cabin and broke a small piece of prairie. In the month of March the elder Nicholson was laid low with a mortal malady and died.


Leroy Jackson was the third settler in this community. He was a man who had spent his boyhood days on the Kentucky frontier and left that state in 1833. He had served in the Black Hawk war and in the year above mentioned settled in Dubuque, from whence he frequently traversed the prairies of this section of country on hunting expeditions, being an experienced trapper and hunter. While on one of these ventures, in the spring of 1840, he came to the Nicholson cabin. There he learned of Nicholson's death and also of the loneli­ness and dissatisfaction of the widow. The latter, being willing to dispose of her possessions and leave the country, Jackson bought her claim, thirty-five acres of which were partially improved; and chattels, consisting of 160 bushels of wheat, 400 bushels of corn, two yoke of oxen, three cows, three young cattle, two barrels of strained honey, taken from bee trees which were then plentiful in the timber; a few hogs, a quantity of hay and other articles. The consid­eration was $800, which Jackson practically paid in full. The same fall he moved on to his purchase and eventually became one of the leading men in Delaware County. Leroy Jackson, after buying the Nicholson claim and chat­tels, returned to Dubuque and in the fall brought his family, household goods and farming utensils to the new home in the wilderness. Henry A. Carter was also a member of the party, having been persuaded by Jackson to join him in the settlement. That winter (1840-1) Jackson built a hewed log cabin for Carter, who took possession of it in March, 1841. Soon after his family was established a daughter, Sarah B., was born, the first birth in the community. In 1844, Mrs. Carter passed away, and this was the second death. The second birth was that of a son to Leroy Jackson, and the newcomer was named Henry C. Jackson. In 1844, both these pioneers, Jackson and Carter, erected sawmills: the first named on Plum Creek and the latter on the Maquoketa. Six years later they laid out the Town of Hopkinton.

A word or two in relation to the efforts of Carter and Jackson in building up a new country and from whence they came. Leroy Jackson was born in Kentucky in 1804 and lived there until he was twenty-two years of age. The year 1828 found him in Iowa. His chief employment was as an Indian trader. It is said he built the first brick house in Dubuque and kept the first hotel there. When he first came to Delaware County on a hunting trip, he found about four hundred Indians here. The year of his permanent settlement already has been stated. Mr. Jackson took an active part in organizing the county and was its first sheriff. He then for a number of years kept a hotel at Hopkinton; raised a large family of children and accumulated several hundred acres of land.


H. A. Carter was born in Massachusetts in 1806. When twenty-eight years of age he moved to St. Louis and two years later to Dubuque, where he met Leroy Jackson. With his old friend he laid out the Town of Hopkinton and in 1850 moved to Cedar Rapids. Three years later Mr. Carter was back in Hop­kinton, employing his time as a merchant. He built the first mill in Hopkin­ton: also built the first bridge across the Maquoketa at that place. He became an extensive hop grower and is credited with shipping the first bale of the product from Iowa. Further, and greatly to his renown, Mr. Carter was the originator (having first proposed it), of Lenox College. No more energetic, forceful and valuable men have identified themselves with the early history of Delaware County.


Duncan McCullom settled in the southeast part of the county near the Livingstons in 1840.


Theodore Marks came here and entered a tract of land about three miles northeast of Leroy Jackson's in 1841. He was first clerk of the township after its organization in 1849.


S. M. Slausen was a settler in South Fork Township as early as 1851. He occupied his time in farming for five years and then moved to Hopkinton.


Elliott M. Chapman, a native of New Hampshire, settled in South Fork Township in 1858. He owned a fine tract of land, was active in the affairs of his township and for several years served as trustee.


James Harper was one of the prominent men of South Fork Township. He was a native of Pennsylvania and settled in South Fork Township in 1854, on land which he had purchased.


Norman Luke left his native State of New York in 1857 and located in South Fork Township, where he engaged in farming. In 1877 he went into the livery business at Hopkinton. Luke quarry near the town is well known in that section.


The Town of Hopkinton was laid out on the southeast quarter of section 13 in 1851 and the plat recorded December 29, 1851. The owners of the land were Henry A. Carter and Leroy Jackson.



William H. Martin settled on Plum Creek in July, 1843, with his family and engaged in farming. His father, William Martin, died here in 1876 and that same year William H. became a resident of Hopkinton and was elected mayor in 1877.


William B. Morgan was born in New York State in 1830 and when fifteen years of age removed with his parents to this county and settled near Hopkin­ton. He learned carpentering and worked at his trade until 1861, when he enlisted in the Civil war. He returned to Hopkinton and in 1863 entered the mercantile business. He was the first deputy sheriff appointed and to complete the first jury panel he was compelled to summon every voter in the county.

Isaac Smith moved on to a farm six miles west of Hopkinton in 1846. In 1855 he moved into the village when there were only two houses in existence there. He paid his attention to farming and also worked at carpentry. Mr. Smith was a member of Company F, Thirty-seventh Iowa, the famous "Gray Beards” and served the county faithfully and well for four years as sheriff.


James Hardy was born in the State of Virginia in 1816. When thirty years of age he came from the State of Illinois to this county and located in North Fork Township in 1846. He removed to Hopkinton in 1860. Mr. Hardy was one of Delaware County's best citizens. He served on the first grand jury impaneled in the county and was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church almost a lifetime. He held several township offices.


The Littlefields came to South Fork Township in an early day and P. M. Littlefield was born here in 1853.  Hugh Livingston was also a son of a pioneer. He was born in the township in 1844 and became a druggist at Hopkinton.


F. W. Doolittle was born at Delhi, the son of Frederick B. Doolittle, July 8, 1855, and became a member of the banking firm of Doolittle & Son at Hopkinton.


One of the first blacksmiths in Hopkinton was L.  C. Tapping, who came from Pennsylvania in 1856.   His blacksmith shop was kept running until about 1873, when he built the Central House and became its proprietor.


Among the early residents of Hopkinton was Peter H. Warner, who located in the village in April, 1856. He served a clerkship in a general store until his arrival in Hopkinton, when he went into business for himself. He was postmaster at the village eight years and held other positions in the township of trust and responsibility. Mr. Warner established the first drug, dental, photographic and jewelry business at Hopkinton, and called the first meeting held in the interests of the Davenport & Northwestern Railway Company.


Gorham K. Nash was born in the State of Maine. He came to Delaware County in the spring of 1856 and about two years thereafter located at Hop­kinton. His father, Amaziah Nash, located in Hopkinton in 1859 and engaged in the wagon making business until his death in 1866. Gorham K. is now a respected resident of Hopkinton. He served in Company K, Twenty-first Iowa Infantry.


Alexander Kirkwood first saw the light of day in bonny Scotland, immi­grated to the United States in 1829 and lived for some years in New York and Philadelphia, where he was engaged in piano making. He arrived in Delaware County in 1856 and located in Hopkinton, where he engaged in the furniture and undertaking business. Mr. Kirkwood served his adopted country in the Civil war.


William Flude was a prominent figure in the educational field of music. He was a native of England and came to the United States in 1857, locating in Hopkinton as professor of music in the Bowen Collegiate Institute, now known as Lenox College.


Robert G. Crawford was a pioneer merchant of Hopkinton. He was a native of Pennsylvania and came to Delaware County in 1859 with his father, who bore the same name, and located at Hopkinton, where he engaged in the hard­ware business.


There was quite an influx of people seeking homes in this beautiful new country in 1856. About this time appeared Rev. W. L. Roberts, a clergyman of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, located here, preached the Gospel to the scattered settlers and was a strong force in persuading a number of his religious faith to become residents of Hopkinton and the nearby farms.


J. H. Campbell was one of the early merchants. There were also Barker & Campbell, general merchandise; A. Kirkwood, undertaker and furniture. Other early merchants were C. E. Merriam & Company, Jo Bernard, P. O. Joseph; Williamson & McBride, drugs; H. Livingston, drugs; J. G. Wallace, hardware; restaurant, Charles Abbott; millinery, Misses M. & N. Dawson; harness, C. F. Shimeal.  P. H. Warner was a notary public here in the '60s, so was M. Harmon; C. E. Reeve had a meat market, James McArthur flour store, G. H. Crawford, W. P. Gerry and J. H. Williamson early blacksmiths; John Dunlap, wagon maker; livery stables, N. Loop and Lough & King; lumber, P. D. Smith.


The firm of Campbell & Williamson built an elevator in 1873.   In 1863 the elevator at Sand Springs was moved to Hopkinton by John Stevenson.


Dr. W. H. Finley was one of the first physicians to take up the practice in Delaware County, coming to Hopkinton in 1859 and opening an office.


The Davenport & St. Paul Railroad, now the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, was completed and running trains through Hopkinton in 1872. The first station master was A. F. Stickney. The advent of railroad transportation fa­cilities gave Hopkinton a spur to advance and the town took on new life and added importance. About a year ago a beautiful new depot was erected, to replace the old one.


James H. Bowen, who came here in 1855, saw the land was adapted to the raising of broom corn, which led him to induce Samuel Dickerson to join him in the manufacture of brooms on the Bowen land near Hopkinton. A crop of broom corn was raised in 1856, which was worked into brooms in an estab­lishment, having necessary machinery, built by Bowen & Dickerson. Shortly after others took up the industry and followed it several years.


Disputes and tragedies were frequent even in the days of pioneering. It is said, in this relation, that on December 2, 1864, Morris Martin and George Crozier, of this township, quarreled and fought over a small quantity of oats. In the encounter Martin stabbed Crozier, one of the wounds being in the heart, from which the man died. Martin spent five years in the penitentiary in partial expiation of his crime.


Another crime was committed here while Hopkinton was yet in its infancy. Edward Kennedy, who lived a few miles west of town, was shot while preparing his evening meal, by John Duncan. Kennedy, an old man, was found the next morning lying dead on his kitchen floor. Duncan was arrested on suspicion and remanded for trial.


Theodore Marks was the first township clerk and later became justice of the peace. He was a unique character in some respects, as his township record and the following marriage certificate will attest:


"I hereby certify that on the 20th day of February, A. D., 1851, at the house of William Dighton, in Delhi Township, Delaware County, Iowa, in the presence of the above named William Dighton and his wife, his father, two brothers, two sisters, one brother-in-law, one sister-in-law, three step-children, several of his own children, nephews and nieces, friends and acquaintances, neighbors, etc., I joined in the holy bonds of matrimony Mr. Anthony McGarvey, of Scott County, Iowa, aged 24 years, and Miss Mary Ann Morgan, step­daughter to the above mentioned William Dighton, of this county, aged 18 years.

"Given under my hand this 20th day of February, A. D. 1851.

"theodore  marks,

"Justice of the Peace, South Fork Township,  Delaware County, Iowa.

"P.S.—The streams being up very high, everybody could not attend. The
undersigned had to travel sixteen miles extra to get home.      T. M."


Bowen Collegiate Institute was founded in the year 1865 by certain of the citizens of Hopkinton. and was named in commemoration of C. T. Bowen, of Chicago, who liberally contributed to its initiatory funds. The institution was subsequently named Lenox College, and its interesting history, written by Presi­dent Reed, will be found on other pages of this volume.


F. E. Williamson established the present brickyard about twenty years ago and it is now in his hands.


Archibald Tate established a brickyard almost on the same site as the pres­ent one, fifty years ago. The college, churches and many old buildings were of brick got there.



Hopkinton’s growth was gradual and substantial. The town was a good trading point and by the year 1874 there wore about three hundred and fifty people within its borders. A number of enterprising men were engaged in different lines of business, good schools were in operation, the institute was on a sure footing, church edifices were to be seen and the commercial, educational and religious aspect was pleasant and satisfactory. Transportation facilities had been greatly enhanced and the prospects were so flattering that the leading men of the community felt the time had arrived for independence from town­ship government. This led to a successful movement for incorporation.


At an election in Lathrop’s Hall, March 3, 1874, the question of incorpora­tion was submitted to the electorate. The poll showed that 132 votes were cast and that 92 votes were in favor of separating the village organization from the township. To perfect the incorporation and carry out the will of the majority, as expressed at the polls, an election was held for town officers, at Lathrop Hall, March 26, 1874, and the following persons were chosen: Mayor, Isaac Smith; clerk. John A. M. Hall; trustees, Charles Lathrop, James McArthur, H. A. Carter, James T. Williamson, G. H. Crawford, all of whom qualified on the 28th day of the month, having met that day and organized the municipal gov­ernment.


The first real business of the newly made council was to pass an ordinance to create the offices of marshal, treasurer and street commissioner.

The next municipal election was held March 1, 1875. J. G. Diffenderfer was returned for mayor; D. A. Barnes, clerk; J. G. Diffenderfer, street commissioner; M. H. Harding, assessor; J. P. Cramer, marshal; P. H. Warner, P. P. Westcott, E. W. Harvey, Charles Lathrop, James Williamson, trustees. Since its incorporation in 1874 until the present the following persons in addi­tion to those above named have held the office of mayor of Hopkinton:


F. M. Earhart, 1880-81; J. H. Campbell, 1882; N. J. Dunham, 1883; S. P. Carter, 1884-86; C. E. Merriam, 1887; J. H. Campbell, 1888; John Chrystal, 1889-90; C. E. Reeve, 1891-92; S. P. Carter, 1893-95; G. Merriam, 1896; F. A. Williamson, 1897; G. Merriam, 1898-1900; F. R. Tesar, 1901; S. P. Carter, 1902-04; T. C. Reeve, 1905-09; F. A. Irish, 1910-11; D. C. Oehler, 1912-13; J. J. Kirkwood, 1914.


At a special election held on the 15th day of April, 1901, the question of erecting and maintaining a system of waterworks was placed before the tax­payers of Hopkinton, and 160 votes were cast on the proposition; 116 for, and 43 against, of the male votes. The women, who were graciously (?) accorded the right of suffrage on the subject, cast 153 ballots; 97 for, 51 against; 5, spoiled.


The election plainly indicated that a majority of Hopkinton people desired plenty of water, not only because their principles were in favor of it as the best and most refreshing beverage for man, but also the added reason that the town demanded more and better protection against the destructive element of fire. Therefore, lots were purchased for a power and pumping station, secured of S. P. Carter for the sum of $250, and located on Public Square Addition. A contract was let to the Des Moines Bridge & Iron Works Company of Des Moines, for $6,970. An 8-inch well was drilled in 1902, and a splendid supply of good water obtained. In April, 1903, council passed an ordinance empower­ing that body to issue $5,000 in waterworks bonds and a contract was awarded J. F. Williamson for the construction of a steel tower, on the hill north of town, for $2,000. This the town leased from Mr. Williamson for twenty years, at an annual rental of 7 per cent of the cost, with privilege to buy at cost and interest. The improvement was completed in the year 1904 and Hopkinton not only owns its water system, but has a property worth all and more than it cost, which was about eight thousand dollars. W. S. Beels was the first superintendent and E. A. Kirkwood, engineer.


Peter Milroy secured a franchise for an electric light and power plant in 1892 and furnished both the town and private consumers with electricity. The franchise was renewed in 1912. The plant is installed in the old grist mill, on the south side of the Maquoketa. In 1912, William Milroy. a son, the present owner and manager, inaugurated a continuous service. In November, 1912, the merchants, at their own expense, bought and set up eighteen 5-globe elec­troliers, on First and Locust streets, and donated them to the town.


The postoffice was established here in 1852, and Archibald Tate, pioneer brickmaker of Delaware County, received his commission as postmaster on the 28th day of June, 1852. The names of his successors follow: George R. Browder, December 10, 1853; H. A. Saunders, December 19, 1854; P. H. Warner, June 27, 1856; R. S. Taylor, March 29, 1861; Merritt Harmon, August 16, 1864; William E. Brown, August 20, 1866; P. H. Warner, December 18, 1867; C. E. Merriam, August 11, 1869; P. F. Westcott, December 14, 1885; C. A. Crawford, April 9, 1889; A. K. Cramer, July 3, 1893; F. B. Tibbitts, May 8, 1897.


The first schoolhouse built in this district was a log cabin, situated at the edge of a small strip of woods, called Scotch Grove, about midway of the town and the settlement where the Scotch people located. The settlers hauled the logs in the winter of 1849 and themselves put up the rude temple of learning. Miss Beard, a Vermont teacher, opened this school in May and a Mr. Wilson taught the following term. The log schoolhouse was sold in 1855 and in that year school was taught in the village, an old wagon shop being used for the purpose. With money obtained from the sale of the log building and other sums obtained by subscription, a small brick school building was erected, one of the first brick structures in the county, on a lot donated by Leroy Jackson. Another Vermont "school m'am" first presided here—a Miss Eaton.


In March, 1865, the independent district was organized by the election of Henry A. Carter, president of the board of directors; J. G. Diffenderfer, vice president; Edmund Davis, treasurer; A. Nash, secretary; C. A. Ball, G. H. Crawford and G. Merriam. On March 13th, the board voted a tax of 5 mills for school purposes and at the next meeting appointed G. Merriam, Leroy Jack­son and A. Nash a committee with instructions to build another schoolhouse and have it completed by October 1, 1865. Instead of building, however, the committee purchased the old Presbyterian Church for $500, and arranged it for school purposes. This church building stood on a lot adjoining the little red schoolhouse and was used for the higher grades. Both these schoolhouses were removed in 1875, and at an expense of $7,000, a brick building was erected on the two lots, to which was added an adjoining half-acre of ground. This building contains five rooms and is the high school, having five teachers. Some time ago another brick building was put up for the primary classes, and has three rooms and two teachers.


Lenox College, located at Hopkinton, Delaware County, Iowa, is one of the oldest educational institutions in the state.

As early as 1854, the late Henry A. Carter cherished the hope of establish­ing a college at Hopkinton. Mr. Carter had been born and raised in Massa­chusetts and was possessed of that high appreciation of education and culture that has always characterized our New England population. His object was to provide the facilities for higher Christian education without the inconvenience and expense of sending the children to eastern colleges. This object was approved by many others and there finally resulted the organization of a joint stock company to erect a building to be used for educational purposes. The date of the formation of this joint stock company is not recorded, but it met later on September 6, 1855.


In March, 1856, a building committee was appointed to proceed to the erec­tion of the college building. This was the first Presbyterian College in Iowa. It was located at Hopkinton, Delaware County, in the northeastern section of the state, among a noble and sturdy class of Scotch-Irish.


In June, 1856, the name of Bowen Collegiate Institute was adopted in honor of C. T. Bowen, of Chicago, who was a liberal contributor to the building fund, and in the following month the institution was incorporated.


In September, 1856, the members of the first board of trustees were elected and in October of the same year the first articles of incorporation were filed, the institution therefore being, from the beginning, entitled to all the rights and privileges of a college. The names of the members of the first board of trustees were: Henry A. Carter, president; W. P. Cunningham, secretary; Leroy Jack­son, treasurer; James Kilpatrick, H. R. Hackson, Asa C. Bowen, Edmund Davis, I. Littlefield, Christian Myers, W. A. Roberts, William Robinson, William Holt, Jacob Diffenderfer, William Morrison, J. B. Whittaker, and Jerome Davis.


In the autumn of 1856, the foundation of the center of the main building was laid and the roof put on in 1857. This was a two-story brick structure 40x60, containing eight rooms built in the center of a four-acre plot of ground donated by Mr. H. A. Carter. The campus was afterwards enlarged by an­other donation by Mr. Carter's son, Samuel P. It is a beautiful piece of ground, sloping in all directions from the main building, with a slight ridge running through the center from north to south. It is artistically set with groups and rows and groves of sturdy oaks and spreading elms and graceful, symmetrical, hard maples. The "fifties" were early days for Iowa and it required much patience and perseverance on the part of those who were managing the enter­prise as well as much sacrifice in giving, by these and many more before the building was completed and ready for occupation.


Finally by means of a public entertainment and a festival sufficient money was raised to prepare the inside of the building for occupation and on Sep­tember 1, 1859, the first term of the institute began "with about forty scholars." At last victory crowned the efforts of those noble men and women. Their hopes were realized. As the rural schools in those early days were inefficient and the high school of the present day was unknown the attendance at the institute was very good from the beginning and increased its enrollment rap­idly. From the records we learn that during the first four terms 196 different students were enrolled. "The largest number of students in any single term before the Civil war was 120."


The control of the institution was tendered the Old School Presbyterian Synod of Iowa, North, in 1860, and that body the following year took a limited supervision. In 1863 two of the principal stockholders, H. A. Carter and Leroy Jackson, obtained a sheriff's deed for the property of the corporation, after the trustees concluded that they were unable to meet the obligations that were contracted in building. These two men presented the entire college property to the synod. A deed was signed February 9, 1864, by Henry A. Carter and Mary Carter, conveying the same to the synod with the condition that in case the property should not be used for educational purposes it was to revert to the Town of Hopkinton. At the time that the property was trans­ferred to the synod in 1861 the name was changed from Bowen Collegiate Insti­tute to Lenox Collegiate Institute in honor of James Lenox of New York City, a liberal contributor to the endowment fund.


The first president of the institution was the Rev. Jerome Allen, Ph. D., who occupied the chair from 1859 to 1863 and for two years additional acted as financial agent and teacher of natural science and English literature. Doctor Allen was one of the foremost educators of his day. He was the author of a number of books and established the department of pedagogy in the university of the City of New York and was the dean of that department from 1889 to the time of his death, which occurred in his home in Brooklyn, May 26, 1894.


Next came the soldier president, the Rev. J. W. McKean, A. M., 1863-1864. One morning a recruiting officer attended chapel service and after a strong and noble appeal by President McKean for the young men to obey the call of President Lincoln to enlist in the army of the Union, he informed the students that a recruiting officer was present and all who wished to enlist should arise. All arose and enlisted but one and he was too young. The faculty and girl students were in tears and President McKean closed the tender scene by saying, "Well, boys, if all of you are going, I am going too." President McKean resigned May 6, 1864, and entered the army as captain of a company in which all but two of the students enlisted. The work of the institute was suspended till the fall term. July 9, 1864, Captain McKean died in the army at Memphis, Tenn. A fine monument on the college campus commemorates his name and the names of others who gave their lives for the preservation of the Union. This monument at a cost of over fifteen hundred dollars was dedicated November 17, 1865, which makes it the oldest monument in Iowa and probably in the entire United States erected by public subscription in honor of the soldiers of the Civil war. "In all, ninety-two students of this school enlisted during the war, a larger proportion than from any other school in this state."


For a brief period, from July 8, 1864, to the close of the fall term of the same year, the Rev. James D. Mason was president. During the remaining portion of that year till the spring term of 1865 Dr. Jerome Allen acted as president though the Reverend Doctor Mason did not formally resign till October, 1865. Mr. Mason was a genial gentleman who was prominently iden­tified with Presbyterianism in Iowa. He died in Davenport, Iowa, January 8, 1890, at the age of seventy-seven.


In September, 1866, the Rev. Samuel Hodge, D. D., who for one year had been professor of languages, was chosen president and filled that office with becoming dignity and increasing power till 1882.


December 5, 1870, a committee was appointed to take the necessary steps to incorporate as a college having the right to confer degrees, etc., but the articles of incorporation were not filed for record till October 11, 1873. As found stated in these, the object of the corporation is to "maintain an institution of learning for the education of both sexes; the grade of which is to be at least high enough to prepare the one for the sophomore class in the best colleges of the United States, and the other for the second year of the best ladies' seminary in the country. But the school may be raised to any higher grade whatever."     In  accordance  with  this provision,  its  grade  has  from  time  to time been made higher.


In 1875 the original building was enlarged by a wing 55x30 feet. This additional room was made necessary by the increased attendance of students, the number for one term reaching 200. This convenient improvement in the size of the building is due, for the most part, to the liberality of the citizens of Hopkinton and vicinity. The times were hard and money was scarce. Every effort had been exhausted to secure enough funds to complete this wing and still the amount was not sufficient. Mr. Carter had hauled brick on to a piece of ground adjoining the campus where he had planned to erect a cottage and spend the rest of his days. It was at this juncture that Mr. and Mrs. Carter decided to give their brick for the new wing, and not in connection with the erecting of the original building as is sometimes stated. The brick were removed and built into the wing which has served the institution for nearly thirty-five years. So Mr. and Mrs. Carter never had their brick cot­tage and the land on which it was to have been erected was afterwards given to the college for an extension of the campus by their son who fell heir to it as noted above.


In 1882 the trustees departed from the prevailing custom and elected as president a layman in the person of James A. Ritchey, Ph. D., who was an experienced educator and for six years labored with marked success. In 1883 the curriculum of the college was revised and greatly extended and pro­vided for three regular courses of study as well as for many electives. Thus the institution was made equal to the best average college in the state. This year the Helen Finley bequest of $5,000 was made as an addition to the perma­nent funds. During this year also occurred the death of H. A. Carter who was the first president of the board of trustees and a life-long friend and generous supporter of the college.


In 1884 the articles of incorporation were so amended as to change the name of Lenox Collegiate Institute to Lenox College, and to provide for the election of the members of the board of trustees in classes, of whom five of the fifteen were to be chosen annually. During the same year extensive repairs were made in the college building. All the rooms on the first floor were refurnished and the rooms on the second floor were remodeled. Two commodious halls for the literary societies were provided, and the chapel was repaired and beautified.


In 1884 the quarter centennial of the college was celebrated. An unusually large number of people were present at that commencement season. Every year in the life of the college seemed to have sent back former students to represent it. The Old Students' Association, organized in 1883, made its first public appearance, effected this general reunion, and contributed much to the social and literary interest of the occasion. This association was composed of former non-graduate students. The organization was suggested by Mrs. Lucy Cooley Finley, first preceptress in the .school. The first officers were: F. B. Dickey, president; Christina M. Kirkwood, secretary.


During the summer of 1888 the board of trustees chose the Rev. Alexander G. Wilson, D. D., as president, who brought not only dignity but also capabil­ity acquired by a long training in professional and presidential positions in Paron's College and Lake Forest University. In 1889 the foundation of Clarke Hall, a girls' dormitory, was laid and in the fall of 1890 the building was ready for use. Clarke Hall was erected by the combined efforts of the board of trustees, former students and alumni. The largest share of the money used in the erection of the building was left by Charles Coverse Clarke, a former student, who wished to do something for the college where he had re­ceived his training. Doctor Wilson's distinguished gifts, his noble Christian character, and executive powers combined to make him a model president, and it was a great loss when he resigned to accept a professorship in the recently established theological seminary in Omaha where he remained till his death.


In the spring of 1894 the Rev. Hugh Robinson, A. M., a son of Lenox Col­lege, and a brilliant preacher, was chosen president and remained for two years in that office. During the presidency of Reverend Mr. Robinson considerable field work was done which resulted in increased enrollment. At the commence­ment of 1895 the friends who gathered on the campus to enjoy the exercises of the day contributed $2,500 toward the erection of a new building to be used for the library, gymnasium, and literary society halls. James McKean, M. D., '80, of Chenung Mai, Laos, a Presbyterian foreign missionary, had the honor of making the first gift which was $100. Operations on the new building were suspended at the close of the summer of 1895. In the spring of 1896 the Reverend Mr. Robinson resigned to take charge of a church.


Next came Andrew G. Wilson, A. M., who was chosen president in the spring of 1896. He too is an alumnus, '80, and in 1884 began to teach natural science in Lenox College. He is the peer of any teacher in his department. His scien­tific knowledge is extensive and his quiet but forceful manner qualified him for the position he held till the spring of 1902. In 1897, though the times were hard, the people of Hopkinton and vicinity loyally and nobly responded with $5,000 for permanent endowment. It was during President Wilson's time that the new building used for library and gymnasium was completed. Due to the generous gift of Judge F. B. Doolittle of Delhi, Iowa, the building was named Doolittle Memorial Hall in honor of his son, F. W. Doolittle, of sacred memory. In 1901 Mr. Wilson resigned but remained at his post of duty till the close of the winter term, 1901-2.


In February, 1902, the Rev. Francis William Grossman, D. D., accepted the presidency. During his incumbency considerable progress was made in many directions. As to material improvements: a steam plant was installed in Clarke Hall and another in the main building which has capacity sufficient for four times the present necessity; new Christian association rooms were pro­vided; the chapel, music rooms, stairways, halls, laboratories, literary society halls, and Clarke Hall were completely remodeled at a cost of about ten thou­sand dollars; the library had an addition of 2,300 new bound volumes and 350 volumes of standard magazines; a conditional offer of $25,000 from Mr. Andrew Carnegie toward a permanent endowment was secured.


Progress in the curriculum was also made. The courses were revised and extended and there was a decided increase in the requirements both for admis­sion and graduation.


In July, 1906, Doctor Grossman resigned and in August of the same year Rev. E. E. Reed, D. D., was elected as his successor. Doctor Reed had been president of Buena Vista for six years where he had met with marked success in building up that young institution.


Doctor Reed set himself about securing subscriptions to meet the condi­tions of Mr. Carnegie's offer of $25,000, which had been made sixteen months before and towards which only a small amount had been subscribed. Many thought the undertaking could not be carried to a successful issue. The new president thought it could and accepted the presidency with this belief. He began by setting a time limit on the subscriptions at January 1, 1909—allowing thus a little over two years in which to complete the work. It was not an easy task by any means and yet the full amount was finally secured 3 1/2 months ahead of the time limit and was carried $8,000 beyond the required amount by the end of the time limit.


A second campaign was soon started for $65,000, of which $25,000 was to be an endowment for the agricultural department. It was afterwards advanced to $75,000. A. long and serious illness of the president laid him aside from his work for some nine months. In the meantime, Mr. Archibald Livingston, a citizen near   Hopkinton, died, leaving a legacy estimated to be worth $30,000 to Lenox College on condition that $25,000 more be raised for the college. This $55,000 was all to go to the agricultural and domestic science departments of the college. As some progress had already been made in securing subscriptions conditioned on raising $75,000, the canvass was continued along this line. It was a strenuous campaign, following so closely on the former $100,000 cam­paign, but as time passed it was pushed with constantly increasing vigor. During the last fifty days an average of $1,000 a day was added and $15,000 the last day, which ended in $11,000 more than the required amount.


The academic course has been advanced during the present administration from a three-year to a four-year course and in other ways the educational standards of the college have been raised. Departments of agriculture and domestic science have been added. The former was advocated by President Reed in his inaugural address. At that time an agricultural department was a new thing for a college that was devoting itself to classical and general scientific work. These departments have been put on a strong footing and the studies taken are given regular college credit.


The library has been considerably more than doubled in number of volumes and in efficiency has been augmented much more than the increase in volumes would indicate. Over twelve hundred dollars has been put into six-foot cement walks over and along the campus. One block east of the campus ten acres have been purchased, five of which are used for athletics and five acres for the agricultural department.


In connection with the first campaign Mr. and Mrs. C. O. Torrey, of Man­chester, gave the college a property owned by them, two blocks north of the college. It consists of a large residence, that was being occupied by the presi­dent's family, and is now the "President's Home,” and also twenty-five acres of land. On this land experiments are being conducted for the benefit of the agricultural department.


The membership of the faculty has been almost doubled and the salaries have been materially increased. The annual expense budget has been almost doubled.

The assets of the college have been advanced from $65,370 to $250,916. Be­sides this, some twelve wills have been written in which Lenox is made a beneficiary. The college is yet to realize on most of these wills. This alone will add considerably to the present assets even though no other money was secured for the college in the meantime.


“Psalm singers'' were the first settlers in the neighborhood of the present Town of Hopkinton. Hugh Livingston had emigrated from Scotland to the Selkirk Settlement, on the Red River of the North, but soon had come south­ward, first with ox carts, then upon the waters of the Mississippi River to Dubuque, where he settled in 1835. The rough and wicked life in the pros­perous mining town did not please his pious wife, who feared for the souls of her children, amidst such temptations, and she told her husband that she would rather live among the Indians and brave the dangers of the wilderness than continue among such wicked white men. Thus, when James Livingston, the brother of Hugh, and Hugh Rose came from the Selkirk Settlement in 1837, all left Dubuque and settled a short distance below the present site of Hopkinton. And thus the psalms of David were the first songs used at family worship in the neighborhood of Hopkinton.


The first Reformed Presbyterian family came to Hopkinton "with faint hopes of seeing a congregation of Reformed Presbyterians growing up around them." It was the family of James Kilpatrick, who came to Hopkinton in the fall of 1853, and of whose influence upon the growth of Hopkinton we spoke before. Mr. Kilpatrick immediately bought land for himself and for his two brothers-in-law, J. B. Whitaker and Dr. H. P. Cunningham, who followed him in the early spring of 1854. These faithful covenanters not only brought their family altars with them, but thought of the observance of the divine ordinances as soon as they were settled. Thus Rev. James Neill preached several times to them during the years 1854 and 1855, and Mr. Kilpatrick's log cabin served as the church. Other Reformed Presbyterian families began to move in during 1855, of which we will name the families of Joseph, Miller, Milroy, Gilmore and McConnell, and the desire to have a congregation organized was expressed. The people entered into correspondence with Rev. William L. Roberts, D. D., who, after a visit to Hopkinton in the spring of 1855, consented to take charge of the congregation to be organized. With rejoicing hearts the people asked Illinois Presbytery, in whose bounds the congregation was to be started, for an organi­zation. The request was granted at a meeting of the Presbytery held in St. Louis, October 9, 1855, and a commission was appointed for the purpose.


This commission, consisting of Reverends McDonald and Cannon, and Elder David Willson, appeared to organize the congregation April 10, 1856. Sixteen families, numbering about forty-five persons, were organized into Maquoketa Congregation of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America. J. B. Whitaker and Robert Gilmore were chosen elders, while James Kilpatrick was elected deacon, and a hearty and unanimous call to become the pastor was made out for Rev. William L. Roberts, D. D., who had been preaching for the people with much acceptance, in the schoolhouse of the Scotch Settlement and other conveniently located buildings.

Thus the Reformed Presbyterian Congregation was organized, and pastor, elders and members began active work immediately. The congregation was divided into three prayer meetings (societies) and Doctor Roberts preached two sermons every Sabbath, using Mr. Kilpatrick's house as a church. Later services were held in what is known as the "red brick" schoolhouse, and still later in the large room over Farmer's wagon shop; but in the summer Doctor Roberts preached in the grove. The audiences, especially in the afternoons were very large, because Doctor Roberts was an excellent orator.


During the years 1856, 1857 and 1858 the membership of the congregation rapidly increased. We find added to the roll the names of James Greer, Novem­ber 19, 1856; James Stevenson, Alex Marshall, William Coleman, James Orr, Peter Outline, William Wright, William Morrison, James Wood, William and Nancy Stevenson (now Mrs. Cormany), all in July, 1857; and of the Douglas and McGlade families, Alex and John Johnson, Hugh Ewart and the brothers Chrystal, all in November, 1858.


The congregation, thus increasing, desired a church building, and in the fall of 1858 the work on the timber for the new church was begun. Mr. Robertson made the plan; Mr. Humphreys did the main work on the foundation; the brothers Fuller superintended the carpenter work; and all the members of the church worked together in peace and brotherly love. Thus in September, 1860, the church was finished. This served the congregation forty-one years and stands today well preserved, a memorial of the consecration and zeal of our fathers. In August, 1860, had occurred the installation of Doctor Roberts as pastor, which, through peculiar circumstances, had been delayed since 1856. The remaining years of his pastorate were years of quiet work and prosperity and the utmost harmony prevailed between pastor and people, so that it was a hard blow to the congregation when Doctor Roberts was suddenly called to his rest, December 7, 1864.


After the death of Doctor Roberts the pulpit was regularly supplied by the other ministers of the Reformed Presbyterian Church in Iowa, as well as by candidates, among whom were Rev. Robert Johnson, Josiah Dodds, R. B. Camion and others. In the summer of 1866 a unanimous and hearty call was extended to David Hackston Coulter, who was installed as regular pastor April 18. 1867. He resigned the pastorate October 14, 1874, that he might become pastor of the congregation in Newark, New Jersey. However, he returned to Hopkinton, October 30, 1875, to accept the chair of natural science in Lenox College. He later went to Winchester, Kansas, where he accepted a pastorate.


On June 15, 1875, Richard Cameron Wylie was installed as pastor. He resigned October 3, 1882. During his pastorate, April 15, 1878, the name of the society was changed from Maquoketa Congregation to Hopkinton Congrega­tion of the Reformed Presbyterian Church. The church was then without a pastor for a few years, when on the 23d of September, 1886, Thomas Houston Acheson assumed charge, but resigned October 16, 1895. Then for 4 1/2 years the congregation was without a pastor, or until Rev. Louis Meyer was installed, June 21, 1900. After he left the charge the congregation was again without a regular pastor until Reverend Foster assumed charge and remained some four or five years. The present pastor, Rev. George S. Coleman, assumed charge in February, 1913.

On the 1st of January, 1901, the congregation unanimously decided to build a new church and the work was immediately begun, when the German Lutheran Congregation bought the old church building. The cornerstone of the new church was laid July 25, 1901, and on the 1st of January, 1902, just one year after it was decided to erect a building, the church was completed and occupied. The church is built of pressed brick with cut stone trimmings. The main audi­ence room is square; the pews are circular, and the floor is bowl-shaped. The windows are of stained glass. The total cost of the building was about ten thousand dollars.



Under authority of the Cedar Rapids Presbytery, Rev. A. F. Kerr, on the 5th day of October, 1855, organized the First Presbyterian Church, of Hopkinton, with the following members: John Williamson and wife, Mrs. Sarah B. Williamson, Mrs. Mary A. Hardy, Mrs. Clarinda Davis, Mrs. Sarah Livingston, Mrs. Isabella Livingston, Mrs. Porthura Livingston, T. N. Williamson and wife. John Williamson was elected ruling elder .and served one year, when Robert Wilson, E. T. Williamson, Henry Bridge and A. A. Lord were added to the list. Later elders were Professor Flude, director of music at Lenox College; Amasiah Nash, senior and junior; and G. K. Nash. Up to 1905 there had been only four clerks: Phineas Allyn, A. A. Lord, C. H. Ricketts and W. R. Williamson. On May 8, 1856, the church was incorporated. Among the early trustees may be mentioned J. T. Williamson, J. H. Campbell, P. D. Smith, B. F. Marshall, William Doolittle. William Taylor, A. G. Wilson, F. Deshaw and Merritt Harmen. The first regular pastor was Rev. Merritt Harmon.


Just when the first house of worship was erected is not definitely known by any one now living in the vicinity. But Dubuque and Davenport, the pioneer towns of Iowa, were only straggling villages. The structure was built of brick, had two entrances, facing the south, and the shingles were made from oak trees donated by Mrs. Isabella Livingston, a charter member. They were "rived out" by A. A. Lord .and Isaac Smith. John Williamson borrowed the necessary money to meet building expenses, and in order to do so, placed a mortgage on his farm. His faith and loyalty were superb. This building stood on or near the site of the present high school building and was superseded in 1868 by a more commodious one.


The church now standing, an ornament to the town and a splendid monu­ment to the memory of its projectors and supporters, was finished in 1905 and dedicated on Sunday, June 11th. The morning sermon was delivered by Reverend Doctor Robinson, of Dubuque; afternoon, by Reverend Doctor Ruston; and evening, by Reverend Doctor Fahs, of Independence. After the impressive exercises the presiding pastor announced that the church was free from debt.


The First Presbyterian Church building is architectually all that could be desired. It stands at the head of Locust Street, a majestic pile, constructed of red pressed brick, with Bedford stone trimmings. The foundation stone came from the Loop quarry near town. Many beautiful memorial windows adorn the edifice and the interior finish and decorations are in keeping with a rich and harmonious general design. The illumination is by electricity and the seating capacity is 700.

The following named clergymen have been pastors of this church as suc­cessors to Rev. Merritt Harmon: Jerome Allen, first president of Lenox College; Reverend Doctor Mason, a few months; Samuel Hodge; M. Stevenson, an evangelist, a brief period; Henry Cullen; H. Gill, "who could conduct the college, sing in the choir and, withal, preach a sermon of more than average merit;'' Alexander Scott, two years; J. M. Smith; Charles Fish, one year; Doctor McIntosh, who came in 1895 and was pastor in 1905, at the time of the dedication. Others who preached at various times were Revs. Hugh Robin­son, W. J. Bollman and Doctor Coulter. The present pastor is W. H. Ensign.


The annual conference held at McGregor in September, 1862, organized the Hopkinton Circuit, and for the first year included the following appointments: Hopkinton, Buck Creek. Plum Creek and Mount Pleasant. At the expiration of the conference year, Mount Pleasant was discontinued as an appointment and merged with Plum Creek. With this exception the charge remained in the same formation until the close of the year 1863-4, under the pastoral care of Rev. C. M. Sessions. In 1864, Sand Springs was added as an appointment, which had hitherto been without pastoral labors, with Rev. Major Whitman, pastor. This year the charge also embraced Earlville and Delhi. During the year 1865-6 it embraced Hopkinton, Sand Springs, Plum Creek and Grove Creek.


During Reverend Whitman's charge two substantial churches were built, one at Hopkinton and the other at Sand Springs. The old Rockville Church was removed to Plum Creek, rebuilt and dedicated as Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church.


This charge was arranged in its present form, September 30, 1866, at con­ference held at Decorah, with Rev. B. C. Barnes, pastor. The church at Hopkinton was erected at a cost of $3,200 and dedicated September 10, 1865, by Rev. A. J. Kynett, J. T. Davis and James Hardy, laymen, and members of the board of trustees. The church at Sand Springs was also dedicated by Reverend Kynett, in January. 1866, at which time the indebtedness was provided for. The Centenary Church was rebuilt at a cost of $1,000, and dedicated by Rev. H. H. Houghton in 1866. In 1875 the societies of Grove and Buck Creeks united and built a church about midway of their localities, at a cost of $2,000.


The Methodist Church was rebuilt in 1904 and rededicated on October 13th of that year, free of debt. The cost of improvements was $3,500. The present pastor is Rev. L. A. Bradford, having succeeded Rev. G. J. Chalice.


The Farmers Exchange Bank was established as a private concern in Hopkin­ton, Iowa, March 1, 1877, by Frank M. Earhart, with a capital stock of $10,000. The first deposit was made by A. F. Stickney, after which we find the names of C. S. Barker, J. H. Campbell, P. D. Smith, J. T. Williamson, P. F. Westcott, C. L. Flint, Philip Cormany, J. J. Wallace, William Flude and Milroy & John­son. The above represented the open accounts at the close of the first two months' business.

In June, 1878, Frank Thompson entered the bank as bookkeeper and was succeeded in January, 1881, by F. W. Doolittle.


May 12, 1884, Mr. Earhart sold the bank to F. B. Doolittle, of Delhi, and F. W. Doolittle. The name was changed to Doolittle & Son, Bankers, with F. B. Doolittle, president; F. W. Doolittle, cashier; and Frank E. Williamson, bookkeeper. In February, 1890, F. E. Williamson was advanced to the office of assistant cashier and was succeeded as bookkeeper by Byron G. Doolittle (now cashier of the First State Bank, Tekonsha, Michigan), who in turn was suc­ceeded in September, 1891, by E. R. Place. During the sickness of F. W. Doolittle, in the spring of 1892, F. E. Williamson was advanced to the office of cashier and C. E. Merriam entered the bank as an employe. F. W. Doolittle died July 9, 1892. August 1, 1892, owing to the death of the cashier, a new copartnership was formed, consisting of F. B. Doolittle, Mrs. Mary R. Doolittle, Frank E. Williamson and C. E. Merriam, who continued the business under the name of The Hopkinton Bank, with F. B. Doolittle, president; F. E. Wil­liamson, vice president; C. E. Merriam, cashier; and E. R. Place, bookkeeper. The latter resigned his position in June, 1898, and J. D. McAllister (now manager of the Farmers Supply Company, Hopkinton), was soon afterwards installed as bookkeeper.


February 1, 1900, the bank was incorporated under the state laws as the Hopkinton State Bank, with a capital stock of $40,000. Officers and directors: F. B. Doolittle, president; F. E. Williamson, vice president; C. E. Merriam, cashier; Mary R. Doolittle, R. G. Brooks, M. L. McGlade and W. H. Thompson. January 28, 1901, F. C. Reeve entered the employ of the bank as bookkeeper to succeed J. D. McAllister, resigned. C. E. Merriam died December 19, 1902, and on the 27th of the same month, F. C. Reeve was elected cashier; R. G. Crawford, director, and Mary R. Doolittle, secretary of the board of directors, to succeed C. E. Merriam, deceased. C. H. Ricketts has been the bookkeeper since January 3, 1903. May 2, 1904, Dr. C. Edward Merriam was elected director to succeed W. H. Thompson, retired. Director M. L. McGlade died August 14, 1906, and F. C. Reeve was elected to fill the vacancy December 24th of the same year.


December 28, 1909, Ben F. Williamson was elected teller, and on the 7th of October, 1911, was elected director to succeed R. G. Brooks. January 25, 1912, Ben F. Williamson died and was succeeded by Clarence L. Hill. November 19, 1902, F. B. Doolittle, president, died, and was succeeded by F. E. Williamson. A son, Dr. John C. Doolittle, of Des Moines, succeeded Judge Doolittle as director and Mary R. Doolittle was elected vice president.


The bank began operations on the south side of Main Street, in a small frame building, and moved from there into the present home, a one-story brick on the corner of Main and Locust streets. In 1912 an addition was built to the north part, where the bank installed a modern, burglar and fire proof vault and other appurtenances.


The present officials of the Hopkinton State Bank are: F. E. Williamson, president; Mary R. Doolittle, vice president; F. C. Reeve, cashier. Capital, $40,000: surplus and undivided profits, $32,000: deposits, $306,000.


One of the strong and influential financial institutions of Delaware County is the Farmers State Bank. It was incorporated February 22, 1906, by H. M. Johnson, S. P. Thorpe, W. T. Kehoe, L. Schnitzger, H. B. Schneir, Ed Hucker, R. J. McNeil, W. S. Johnson, D. H. C. Johnston. The capitalization was $25,000, and the first officers selected were: H. M. Johnson, president; S. P. Thorpe, vice president; A. W. McDonald, cashier. The bank began doing business in the Bernhard Building, a one-story frame, still standing on Main Street. In 1908, a handsome home was completed for the bank and occupied in May of that year.


At a regular meeting of the directors, in January, 1910, W. S. Johnson succeeded to the presidency, and at the same time S. M. Hucker followed S. P. Thorpe as vice president. John Turnis took the latter office in 1913.


The official list now appears as follows: W. S. Johnson, president; John Turnis, vice president; A. W. McDonald, cashier. Directors: R. J. McNeil, Ralph Milroy. W. S. Johnson, A. W. McDonald, James F. Delay, James Kehoe, John Turnis, J. W. Milroy, Frank King. Capital. $25,000; surplus, $7,000; deposits, $115,000.



Rising Sun Lodge, A. P. & A. M., No. 187, was organized at Worthington, January 8, 1866. The lodge was removed to Hopkinton in 1874 and reinstituted with the following named officers: A. B. Wheeler, W. M.; T. N. Williamson, S. W.; C. Cook, J. W.; H. N. Hendee, secretary; C. P. McCarty, S. D.; I. G. Quackenbush, J. D.: Aaron Richardson, tyler; J. T. Davis, treasurer. The members in 1868 were H. W. Raymond, R. B. Dando, F. Coates, J. B. Bailey, D. M. Hazard, F. M. Nultimeyer, R. B. Lockwood, E. H. Bush, A. White, Henry Murphy, Simon Boyer, Samuel Pitman, William Stearwalt, J. P. Jackson, John Gould, James Campbell, B. F. Alberty, John Lyd, I. G. Quackenbush, Adam Lasher, Ebenezer Fletcher, E. Turner, J. K. Shiffler, Bedford Lockwood, Henry Arnold, A. B. Wheeless, Thomas Wood, T. M. Williamson, Eli Ruddlesden, Evan Lyd, George McDonald, William Neville, William Carpenter and others. The membership now is seventy-eight.


Sunbeam Chapter, Order Eastern Star, was organized March 2, 1905, with the following charter members and officers: W. M., Mrs. C. E. Reeve; W. P., W. S. Beels; A. M., Mrs. R. G. Crawford; secretary, Miss Emma Richardson; treasurer, Mrs. J. S. McConnell; conductress, Mrs. T. B. Tibbitts; assistant conductress, Mrs. J. J. Kirkwood; Adah, Miss Alice Crawford; Ruth, Mrs. L. P. Cummings; Esther, Mrs. P. R. Wheeless; Martha, Mrs. J. D. Morgan; Electa, Mrs. F. E. Williamson; warder, Mrs. J. S. Deshaw; sentinel, G. H. Deshaw: chaplain, Mrs. A. B. Wheeless; marshal, Mrs. W. A. Place; organist, Mrs. Bollman. Other charter members were: Mesdames A. Richardson, M. C. Merriam, C. Guthaus, Harry Wilson, W. A. Lang, J. Baker, — Nichols, Ola Snyder, John Lawson, C. C. Hoag, J. C. Matthews, Mr. and Mrs. T. B. Armstrong and Mr. and Mrs. John Hilsenbeck.

Sunset Lodge, No. 525. Independent Order Odd Fellows, was organized October 21, 1892, with the following named charter members: Parley Gavitt, Jacob Platt, Lewis Wheeler, S. P. Carter, Dr. S. F. Bentley, T. S. Dewald. They were also the first officials. The membership of the lodge now is thirty-eight.


Amon Lodge, No. 115, Daughters of Rebekah, was organized in September, 1902. The lodge now has a membership of about sixty.


Sand Spring is one of the primitive towns of Delaware County that cut some figure in its day as a trading point, but with the passing of time and events and the control of man, its prestige long since has taken wings and but little is left of the place to speak of. Be that as it may, however, the village was laid out by Surveyor George Welch in January, 1858, for the owners, T. H. Bowen and L. H. Langworthy. Mr. Bowen had located a large tract of land here and in the vicinity and in 1856 the Southwestern (Milwaukee) Railroad Company had made this point a station on its line and built a depot.


The first building in Sand Spring, a log cabin, was put up by Asa C. Bowen in 1852 and he was one of the first to locate in this vicinity.


In the year 1858 an important event occurred, in the arrival of a number of families belonging to the "Exodus Colony" formed in Massachusetts. They were preceded by Reverend Bolles, who was delegated by the association to arrange for the reception of the families in their prairie settlement. Mr. Bolles was pleased with the Sand Spring country and purchased of the Bowens 1,000 acres of land, in which was included a forty acre tract, which had already been surveyed into lots. This was called the "Colony” Addition to Sand Spring. Here Reverend Bolles erected a large frame house, containing sixteen rooms, as a temporary gathering place or home for members of the association and was called the "Colony House.” But few, however, of the many families expected left their eastern homes for the West. Those who did brave the many unknown perils of the homeseeker were the Olmsteads, L. A. Hubbard, Otis Battles, A. J. Douglas, William McCausland, with families, and a Mr. Pease.


Reverend Bolles was an earnest, eloquent preacher, a good man, who ful­filled the duties imposed upon him in purchasing the "Colony” land and making arrangements for the "Exodists." That the primary scheme of colonizing Massachusetts families on Delaware County land was a failure was no fault of his. This worthy clergyman preached the first sermon in Sand Spring in 1858, at a frame building erected for a hotel. Other sermons by him were delivered in the homes of the people. That summer a large meeting was held by him at the home of Charles Crocker. About this time Reverends Whitmore, of the Methodist persuasion, and James Kay, Baptist, preached to people in and around Sand Spring.


A school was opened here in the summer of 1858 by Miss Lucy Battles, daughter of Otis Battles. Later, in 1868, a commodious and substantial school building was erected. E. P. Couser was principal of the graded school.


The Methodists had organized a society and, in 1865, erected a house of worship. A similar building was put up by the Baptists in 1868.


The Southwestern, now under the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul System, failed to reach Sand Spring in the fall of 1858. This was irksome to those who had contributed to the building of the road, as they needed and greatly desired railroad communication with the outer world. The spring of 1859 came and still the rails were three miles distant. This led the farmers and business men, and even their women folks, to pitch in and help the track layers finish their work into the village. It is said that Mrs. Asa C. Bowen, Mrs. Karst and other helpful pioneer matrons, assisted in carrying and placing the ties.


When the Davenport & St. Paul (Milwaukee) Railroad reached Hopkinton a mortal blow was given the growth and aspirations of Sand Spring. The township had voted a tax of 5 per cent to assist in building the road. The payment of this tax was successfully resisted by the taxpayers of Sand Spring by way of an injunction, which was made perpetual by the Supreme Court of the state.


The postoffice at Sand Spring was established in 1858, and T. H. Bowen was commissioned postmaster on the 19th day of June, 1858. The names of his successors follow: William Cline, April 16, 1860; E. H. Sellers, January 30, 1861; Robert Elliott, April 25, 1863; Orson Henry, December 17, 1863; S. R. Tuttle, May 18, 1870: G. H. Brown, October 20. 1871; Leonard Loffelholz, April 13, 1886: G. H. Brown, May 9, 1889; O. J. McGinnis, June 30, 1893; Adam Reichart, October 2, 1895: F. E. Wood, Jr., July 30, 1897; S. D. Garlinghouse, March 2, 1903; William J. Gelvin, December 14, 1906; Alexander Blair, March 23, 1909.


For a number of years the manufacture of brooms was an important indus­try at this place, T. H. and Asa C. Bowen, of Hopkinton giving it an impetus that put the innovation on a substantial footing. Broom making meant rais­ing of the raw product, all of which increased the revenues of those directly interested.


The Wilson dam and sawmill were built soon after the village was founded and supplied lumber to many of the settlers for their homes and outbuildings. This property was totally destroyed by the flood of 1865.


Becky Teubner, Contributor



Back to Township Histories


Back to Main Page
Back to Iowa AHGP
Back to AHGP