History of Warren County, Iowa ... to
Unless otherwise noted, biographies submitted by Dick Barton.
George M. Van Patten, one of the progressive farmers of Squaw township, whose fine farm of two hundred acres is on section 23, was born in Peoria county, Illinois, on the 14th of February, 1868, and is a son of Robert B. and Sarah A. (Nipper) Van Patten. The progenitor of the family in America was Claus Frederick C. Van Patten, who came to this country from Holland and located in Albany county, New York. From him our subject is of the sixth generation removed. In the third generation were several who participated in the Revolutionary war, there being about one hundred of the name belonging to one regiment. while one company of this regiment was commanded by Captain John Van Patten. Robert B. Van Patten, the father of our subject, was born in Cayuga county, New York, March 17, 1825, his parents being Peter and Lydia (Bullock) Van Patten.
George M. Van Patten was fourteen years of age when the family came to Iowa and he grew to manhood upon the home farm in Clarke county, in the meantime acquiring his education in the public schools. On attaining his majority he started out in life for himself and has since devoted his time and attention to farming. In 1897 he came to Warren county and after renting his present farm for a time he purchased it and has since engaged in its operation, having two hundred acres of well improved land under a high state of cultivation. He carries on stock-raising, making a specialty of Percheron horses, shorthorn cattle and Poland China hogs.
In 1891 Mr. Van Patten married Miss Annie Holden, of Clarke county, a daughter of C. C. and Deborah (Cramer) Holden, who came to this state from Illinois in 1878 and located in Clarke county. Her father, who was a farmer by occupation, is now deceased. Of the six children born to our subject and his wife three died in infancy. Those still living are, Nina L., Ethel L. and Loyd H., all at home.
The parents are active members of the Methodist Episcopal church and Mr. Van Patten is a republican in politics. He has filled various township offices in an able and acceptable manner and is now serving as township clerk. Socially he is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
A well improved farm comprising one hundred and
thirty-four acres, situated on section 30, White Breast township, is the home of
Theophilus Vincent, who has acquired this property entirely through his own well
directed labors. He is a native of the state of Missouri, born in Monroe county,
July 29, 1852, a son of William and Julia A. (Cornelius) Vincent, the former a
native of Kentucky and the latter of Indiana. The father was reared in the Blue
Grass state but later removed to Indiana, where he was engaged in farming for
several years, while later he took up his abode in Monroe county, Missouri,
where he followed the same pursuit. In the course of time he disposed of that
property and removed to cedar county, Iowa, and in 1877 took up his abode in
Warren county, where he improved and developed a farm but later disposed of that
property and spent his last days with his daughter in Lucas county, this state,
passing away there January 20, 1905. His wife, however, passed away in 1892.
Their family numbered seven sons and five daughters, all of whom grew to mature
years but only four sons and three daughters still survive.
Theophilus Vincent was a little lad of ten years at
the time of his parents' removal from Monroe county, Missouri, to Cedar county,
this state. He was early trained to the duties of the home farm, assisting his
father from the time of early spring planting until the crops were harvested in
the late autumn and during the winter seasons he acquired his education in the
district schools near his father's home. He remained under the parental roof
until he reached mature years, when he came to Warren county and operated a
rented farm for several years. During
this time he accumulated a competency that enabled him to eventually invest in
property and he accordingly in 1883 became the owner of forty acres of raw land,
which he broke and improved. He also erected a fine country residence and added
other buildings necessary for the shelter of grain and stock. He later added to
his original holdings and now has one hundred and thirty-four acres, situated on
section 30 and 31, White Breast township. He now has one of the best improved
farms in this section of Warren county. In addition to raising the cereals best
adapted to soil and climate he also feeds stock, making a specialty of cattle
It was on the 11th of January, 1877, that Mr.
Vincent was united in marriage to Miss Eliza J. Walters, who was born and reared
in Cedar county, this state, a daughter of William Walters, one of the pioneers
of that county. They became the parents of three children but the eldest, Mary
Ettie, died when about eighteen months old. Those living are: Clara May, the
wife of N. R. Mills, a farmer of White Breast township, by whom she has three
daughters, Minnie E., Flossie M. and Gracie L.; and Clarence, who is married and
follows farming in Liberty township and also operates a part of his father's
farm. He has one son, Merl.
Politically Mr. Vincent is a republican and has
served as a school director for ten years. He has also served on the petit jury
and as a delegate to county conventions. He and his wife are members of the
Christian church. His success is well merited, for he has ever followed the most
honorable methods in carrying on his business affairs, never being known to take
advantage of another in a trade transaction and he is well entitled to the proud
American title of a self-made man.