Biographical History of Montgomery and Adams Counties, Iowa.
Unless otherwise noted, the following biographies were submitted by Dick Barton.
Walford, postmaster of Hayes, Adams county, Iowa, was born in England, September
12, 1826. His parents, Charles and Ann (Allbut) Walford, both natives of
England, came with their family to America in 1849, and settled on a farm in
Peoria county, Illinois. There his father died in June, 1866, at the age of
seventy years. He was a life-long member of the Methodist Episcopal church and
while in England was a local preacher. His wife did not long survive him, her
death occurring in January, 1867, at the age of sixty-six years. She, too, from
her early youth was an earnest Christian and a member of the Methodist Episcopal
church. Of the eight children born to them four are still living.
was twenty-two and a half years old when he emigrated with his parents to this
country, sailing from London to New York and landing at the latter port after a
pleasant voyage of thirty-five days. He was engaged in farming in Peoria county,
Illinois, before coming to Iowa. In the fall of 1871 he came out here and bought
eighty acres of wild land, and in May, 1873, moved his family to it. This farm
is located in section 15, Lincoln township, Adams county, and here he has since
resided. His property is now well improved and he is engaged in general farming
and stock-raising. He has a comfortable cottage home and is pleasantly situated.
He was appointed postmaster of Hayes in 1878, since which time he has acceptably
filled the office; he has also served as secretary of the township since 1881.
Walford was married, first in Peoria county, Illinois, to Miss Rachael Rebecca
Chisman, in March, 1856, who died the death of the righteous the following
August. In April, 1858 he again entered the bonds of matrimony with Miss Martha
A. Gregg, of that county, by whom he had three children, Richard Henry, John A.
and Charles E. Richard H. lives on a farm in Nebraska; is married to Miss Rose
Allard and has two children, Roy and Mary; John A. lives on a farm in Nebraska
and Charles E. is managing the home place. The mother of these children died at
the age of forty years. She was a most estimable woman and a member of the
Methodist church. March 17, 1874, Mr. Walford wedded Miss Mary A. Frederick,
daughter of Abram and Mary Frederick, who were born, lived and died in
Pennsylvania, the father passing away at the age of sixty- four years, and the
mother at forty-six. Both were church members. Mr. and Mrs. Walford are members
of the Methodist Episcopal church. Politically he is an ardent Republican,
always identified with the best elements of his party.
Walker, of Brooks, Adams county, is a well-known pioneer. He first came here in
1857, and located permanently in 1859. He was born in Adams county, Ohio,
January 3, 1821, the son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Whitley) Walker. His father, a
native of Rockbridge county, Virginia, was a son of James Walker, a native also
of that State and a soldier of the Revolution, drawing a pension of $96 a year
during the remainder of his life. Mrs. Elizabeth Walker also was born in
Rockbridge county, Virginia, of an old Virginia family. The Walkers and Whitleys
moved from Virginia to Highland county, Ohio, in 1812. Joseph Walker had five
sons and four daughters, and died at the age of eighty-three years, and his wife
also died at about the same age. The father was a farmer all his life, in
politics a Whig and Republican, and in religion a member of the United
James Walker, whose name introduces this sketch, was reared a farmer's boy. In
1859 he emigrated West, coming down the Ohio river and up the Mississippi to St.
Louis and Keokuk, thence by railroad to Mt. Pleasant, and thence by stage and
private team to Brooks, where he engaged in mercantile business, the pioneer
merchant at that point, - at least the first of any prominence. He started in
business in a small way, of course, but his diligence and honesty enabled him to
increase his stock and trade until 175, when he sold out and engaged in farming.
He has 240 acres adjoining the town plat of Brooks, well improved. He built a
dwelling on the place in 1879 a story and a half high, now occupied by his son
James L., who works the farm. In 1891 he built a cottage of modern style and
southern pattern, twenty-eight feet square, with nine-foot posts. Altogether he
owns 480 acres of land.
his views of state policy he is a radical prohibition Republican. He was
postmaster for fifteen years. Both himself and wife are members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church at Brooks. They are zealous for the best interests of the
were married in this county February 19, 1861. Her name before marriage was
Rachel Vining, and she was a daughter of Robert Vining. Her mother, whose maiden
name was Mary Waters, was also a native of Greene county, New York, and spent
her life in New York. Mrs. Walker was one of the pioneer teachers in Harrison
county, Iowa, and also in this county. Mr. and Mrs. Walker have two children:
James L., on the home farm, married, and has one son; and Amelia, wife of
Charles White, has two sons and one daughter. Mr. and Mrs. James Walker lost
their second child, Lusina M., by death, at the age of nine months and fourteen
Walter, deceased, late an honored resident of Nodaway township, was born in
Berne, Switzerland, October 17, 1835, a son of Jacob Walter, who was a son of
Jacob Walter, Sr. The name of his mother before marriage was Susanna Tymon. His
ancestors were all natives of Switzerland.
the age of eighteen years Mr. Walter came to America, settling in Monroe county,
Ohio. In 1868 he came to Adams county and rented land for six years, and then
purchased the place which he occupied the remainder of his days, dying in 1886,
a believer in the Reformed Protestant Church and in politics a Democrat. The
homestead is a fine, well equipped farm, containing 135 acres of rich land, well
adapted for stock and grain raising. Mrs. Walter has nine children, namely: Mary
Louisa, now the wife of Ezra O. Tapert of Nodaway township; Amelia, now Mrs.
Joseph Shields of Brooks, Iowa; Matilda, who lives at Denver, Colorado; Mary
Ann, at home; Susanna, now the wife of Alfred Moser of Nodaway township; and
Franklin, Effie, Rodalle and Charlie, - all at home. One child, John Frederick,
died in February, 1887, at the age of twenty-three years. Mrs. Walter and six of
the children are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
T. Waters, who resides in section 5, Washington township, Adams county, is one
of the prominent farmers and business men of this community.
was born in Peoria county, Illinois, March 1, 1859, son of Owen and Catherine
(McGinnis) Waters, both natives of Ireland. Owen Waters is now engaged in
farming, but was for many years employed as a shoemaker, having learned that
trade in the old country. He came to America with his wife and one child in
1846, and settled in Illinois, where he rented land until 1871. That year he
came to Iowa, and settled in Poweshiek county. In 1873 he moved to Cass county,
this State, where he is now a respected citizen. He and his wife are both aged
people. They have had ten children, five of whom are now living, viz.: James,
who married Mary O'Connor; Catherine, now Mrs. J. R. Eblen; T. T., the subject
of this sketch; Mary, wife of Frank Curry, and John R., who married Louisa
Curry. Their son Peter died at the age of twenty years, Owen at the age of
sixteen, and three children in infancy.
T. launched out in business for himself at the age of twenty-four years, and has
ever since been engaged in farming. He moved to his present location in 1887,
and bought the farm of 160 acres in 1891. His house is nicely located on a
truncated cone, and overlooks a wide range of beautiful, fertile country.
18, 1883, Mr. Waters married Miss Anna Barry, daughter of James and Catherine
Barry, natives of Ireland, and honored residents of Adams county, Iowa. Their
union has been blessed with five children - Sarah C., Owen G., Mary, Anna, and
James. Mary Eblen, daughter of J. R. and Catherine Eblen, makes her home with
them, and this arrangement is mutually pleasant to all parties concerned.
Mr. Waters was formerly a Greenbacker, but now votes the Democratic ticket. He
and his wife are members of the Catholic Church.
P. Weber, of section 3, Mercer township, was born in Wittenberg, Germany,
September 12, 1830, the eldest child of John and Eva (Weber) Weber, natives of
the same country. In 1844 the family emigrated to America and settled on a farm
near Williamsport, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, where the parents passed the
remainder of their days. The father died in 1861, at the age of seventy-three
years, and the mother in 1865, at the age of sixty-three.
subject resided on his father's farm until he had reached his majority. In 1854
he came to Illinois, and two years later to Iowa, settling in Johnson county. He
was married March 18, 1858, to Miss Sarah Jane Smurr, a native of Dalton, Wayne
county, Ohio, and a daughter of Hugh A. and Margaret Hemperley Smurr, natives of
Pennsylvania. April 1, 1858, Mr. Weber came to Adams county. He purchased 160
acres of unimproved land on sections 5 and 6, Quincy township, which he was
engaged in improving until the breaking out of the late war, enlisting August
13, 1862, in Company D, Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He participated in many
hard-fought battles; was with Sherman's expedition through Yazoo Pass, in the
battle of Helena, Arkansas, Shell Mound, where they were under fire for nearly a
month; was in the White river expedition, battle of Little Rock, Arkansas,
Camden, Mobile, Fort Blakely and Spanish Fort. From there he went to Galveston,
Texas, and up the Rio Grande for the purpose of guarding the frontier survey,
where he served until the close of the war. He was mustered out of service and
honorably discharged at New Orleans, September 15, 1865, and paid off at
Davenport. He returned home and followed farming in Quincy township until 1873,
when he sold out and purchased 160 acres of wild land, which constitutes his
present farm, and now has one of the finest places in Mercer township. He has a
fine orchard of two and a half acres and 400 trees, being the best in the
and Mrs. Weber are the parents of eight children, six of whom survive: Ella M.,
the wife of Elmer C. Mitchell of Mercer township; John E., Cora Leona, Charles
A., Jasper P., Eva A., Maggie, who died when three years old, and Minnie, who
died at the age of eighteen years. Mr. Weber and wife are consistent members of
the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the G. A. R., Llewellyn post,
No. 334. Politically he is a Republican.
White, president of the Red Oak Sanitarium, was born in Guernsey county, Ohio,
in 1834, received his education mostly at Muskingum College, Ohio, and at the
age of seventeen years began teaching school and followed that profession for
some time. In 1857 he settled at Peoria, Illinois, where he resided until 1866.
During the war he was a successful recruiting officer, assisting in raising the
Seventy-seventh Illinois Infantry; but on account of one lung he could not bear
the hardships of a soldier's life. In 1867 he came to Red Oak and engaged in
teaching a select school. For a year he was an instructor in Amity College, Page
county, this State; then until 1877 he was engaged in mercantile business at Red
Oak; next he was interested in mining in Mexico, Colorado, and Arizona; and as
an organizer and seller of stock he was very successful. At one time he was
associated with ex-Governor Stone of Iowa in mining stock and mining
enterprises. finally, in 1890, he came to Red Oak and originated and opened the
grand Sanitarium, which well presently be described.
White was married at Newark, Knox county, Ohio, in 1855, to Miss Ellen I. Gill,
an educated and refined lady, and they have ten children, five of whom are
living, namely: Ida May, an artist of talent, well and favorably known; Bessie,
who is now the wife of L. W. Evans, of Red Oak; Ella, a teacher of painting; J.
H. and Charles. Mr. White is a Democrat and a temperance lecturer. As a Democrat
he has been an active worker, at one time canvassing twenty counties in the
interests of his party. He is a model citizen.
Red Oak Sanitarium was opened in June, 1890, in connection with the Crystal
Springs, whose waters are highly medicinal. As analyzed by the eminent Professor
A. B. Prescott, of Michigan University, the water contains 10-1/2 grains of
bicarbonate of sodium to the gallon, 31-1/2 grains of bicarbonate of calcium,
with smaller proportions of other bicarbonates, besides sulphates and chlorides,
and an abundance of carbonic acid gas, - thus being similar to the famous
Bethesda water of Waukesha, Wisconsin, except that it contains about twice the
amount of mineral matter, making it that much more effectual as a medicine. Of
course long ere this these waters have been tried, with uniform good results,
and sometimes with extraordinarily good results.
main building cost $20,000 and is furnished with all the modern improvements of
a first-class sanitarium. Including the bath house, it presents a frontage of
126 feet; and the eastern frontage, including the rear addition, has a total of
ninety feet, while a flag floats upon the tower nearly a hundred feet above the
basement floor. Extensive verandas adorn the building. Just west of the main
building and connected with it by a covered passage, is a large three-story bath
house, the upper floor of which is devoted to the Turkish bath. The grounds are
not yet complete in their ornamentation, but the work is going on as rapidly as
practicable. A wind engine stationed at the foot of the hear the springs
elevates a sufficient supply of water to a large tank elevated some distance
above the building; and the water, being soft and slightly alkaline, is used for
all purposes throughout the establishment. The medical and surgical department
of the sanitarium is under the management of competent physicians and surgeons,
who give daily and nightly attention to its inmates. This institution is
controlled by a stock company, of whom Hamilton White is president; W. W.
Marshall, treasurer and R. M. Roberts, secretary, with an authorized capital of
White, a well-to-do farmer of section 35, Nodaway township, was born in
Muskingum county, Ohio, near Zanesville, May 17, 1849, a son of Alfred White, a
favorably-known pioneer of that county who was born in Pennsylvania, of English
ancestry. Mr. Alfred White was married in Ohio to Eliza Devoll, who died when
the son, our subject, was a lad of fifteen years old. Afterward he was again
married. He improved a farm of 360 acres, in Nodaway township, and a few years
before his death moved to Brooks, where he died.
James White, the subject of this sketch, was reared on a farm in Nodaway
township, obtaining his schooling in the pioneer log- schoolhouse. After his
marriage he left his parental home and worked rented land three years; then, in
1859, purchased ninety acres of his present farm of Milton Ritchie, who had
improved the place. Since then he has added by further purchases, until he now
owns 250 acres. His home farm contains 130 acres, and there are 120 acres in two
lots on section 36. Twenty acres are timber land. His home place is one of the
finest farms in Adams county. A good stream of water runs through the farm. The
residence, barn and other buildings and appurtenances all show the prosperity
and good judgment of the owner. In his political views he has always been a
Democrat, and as a citizen he is one of the solid men of Adams county. Mrs.
White belongs to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
April, 1871, in this county, Mr. White married Miss Agnes, a daughter of George
Bowers, of Nodaway township. Of their eight children four died in infancy. The
living are: Hattie, Etta, Felbert and Ora.
W. White was born in Gibson county, Indiana, March 23, 1836. His father, Anson
White, a descendant of English ancestry, was born in Massachusetts, in 1802, and
his mother, Mary, daughter of James Mills, an Englishman, was born in Maine, May
2, 1807. His parents went West, his mother to Indiana and his father to Wabash,
Illinois. He went to Gibson county, Indiana, where he was married, in his
twenty-sixth year, and resided until 1841. That year they moved to Wabash
county, Illinois. In 1855 the family moved from Illinois to Montgomery county,
Iowa. Here Anson White died in 1858, leaving a widow and five children. The
mother also died here, aged sixty-seven years. Of the children we record that
John Q. is a resident of Adams county, Iowa; Caroline Matilda, wife of F. C.
Willson, lives in Oklahoma; James Lewis White died in Audubon, Iowa, aged
fifty-two years; Mary Merritt died in this county, at the age of twenty-four
years; and S. W. is a prominent citizen of Douglas township, Montgomery county.
subject of our sketch grew up on a farm in Indiana, receiving only a limited
education. During the war he enlisted, in 1864, in the Ninth Iowa Infantry, and
served eight or nine months. He was taken sick and confined at hospital No. 8,
Nashville, for some time. He contracted a chronic disease common to the
soldiers, and also had the measles and erysipelas, from the effects of which his
eyesight was much impaired.
receiving an honorable discharge from the service, he returned to Montgomery
county, Iowa, where he has since resided. He located on his present farm in
section 20, Douglas township, in 1887, where he has since made his home. Sixty
acres he bought of G. Guble, and forty acres of G. B. Clarkson, making a fine
farm of 100 acres.
White was married, at the age of twenty-seven, to Sarah Jane Parson, who was
born in Wabash county, Indiana, and reared in Iowa. Her father, Richard Parson,
born in Virginia, in 1808, died in Audubon county, Iowa, at the age of
eighty-one. Her mother, nee Susanna Davis, a native of Indiana, is now living
with her children, having attained her eighty- second year. Mr. and Mrs. White
have four children: Mina, wife of G. L. Patterson, of Douglas township; Sherman
G., Richard and Eva.
White is a member of the Dick Rouet Post, G. A. R., of Grant. Politically he is
G. Williams was born in Muskingum county, Ohio, in January, 1855. His father,
George M. Williams, was a native of Virginia, and a farmer, who moved to Ohio at
an early day. In 1863 he came further west, and located in Adams county, Iowa,
where he is still living. Mr. Williams, whose name heads this sketch, was reared
to farm life. At the age of twenty-to years he struck out in the world for
himself, first taking a clerkship in a store in Corning, in which he continues
until he was elected, on the Democratic ticket, to his present position of Clerk
of the District Court, in the fall of 1890.
July 4, 1877, he married Miss Frances A. Taylor. Of their four children three
are living, namely: Maud, Howard and Walter. Mabel died at the age of eighteen
months. Mr. Williams is a member of Nodaway Lodge, No. 206, I. O. O. F., and
politically he is a straight Democrat.
B. Wilmarth, a highly respected farmer of section 30, Quincy township, since
1865, was born in Kennebec county, Maine, March 16, 1831, the son of J. P.
Wilmarth, a native of Massachusetts. The latter married Nancy Noyes, also a
native of the Bay State. He was a cotton manufacturer, moved to Massachusetts
when his son, our subject, was six years of age, and afterward to Utica, New
subject of this sketch finished his schooling at Whitestown Seminary, then
taught school, and in 1856, moved to Henry county, Illinois, where he lived
until 1865; then he came to Adams county, settling in Colony township, where he
improved a farm. He was principal of the Quincy schools one year, when that town
was the county seat and the metropolis of southwestern Iowa for about fifty
miles around. In 1868 he settled as a pioneer on the place where he now resides.
Altogether he owns 260 acres of improved land. His home farm is well furnished
with the arrangements and equipments necessary for convenience and comfort.
was married in 1853, at Utica, Oneida county, New York, to Miss Lizzie, a
daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Roberts) Armstrong. Mr. Armstrong was Scotch,
and his wife a native of Devonshire, England. Mr. Wilmarth has three sons, viz.:
Warren L., of Quincy township; Myron, a popular and successful teacher, residing
at home; and Willard, who is married and resides on section 31, Quincy township.
Two children died: Maria, at the age of eighteen months; and Myron F., at two
years and four months.
Mr. Wilmarth is a Republican, and he has faithfully and satisfactorily served as
Assessor of his township for seven terms. Both himself and Mrs. Wilmarth are
members of the North Class, Corning Circuit, Methodist Episcopal Church.
Wilson, a respected and prosperous farmer of section 35, Nodaway township (postoffice
Brooks), was born April 1, 1818, in Champaign county, Ohio, the son of John
Wilson, a native of Greenbrier county, Virginia. The latter was a son of John
Wilson, Sr., who was born in county Tyrone, Ireland, came to this county and
served in the Revolutionary war, suffering many indescribable hardships. The
father of our subject married Miss Mary, daughter of David Wilson, of an old
Virginia family and of Irish ancestry. He (John Wilson) moved with his family to
Ohio in 1815, and had to flee a couple of times for protection against the
Indians. In his younger days he had learned the shoemaker's trade, but was a
farmer all his life. He died while on a trip to Kentucky, and his wife died in
Macon county, Illinois. He was a Democrat, and in religion belonged to the
Primitive Baptist Church. They reared two children, viz.: Euphemia, who died in
Decatur, Macon county, Illinois, and the subject whose name heads this sketch.
The latter was reared on a farm. In the year 1833 the family moved to Boone
county, Indiana, and in 1856 to Illinois. The year 1855 Mr. Wilson entered
Government land here in Adams county, and intended to settle upon it; but
various matters interfered, and finally the great war came on, and he did not
arrive here until 1866, when he broke the first furrow on the land. He continued
to improve the farm until it was brought to its high state of perfection. His
nine acres of 350 trees constitute a splendid orchard, and he has also an
abundance of small fruits. He is a model farmer. In his political sympathies he
is a Democrat, and in religion a member of the Christian Church, as well as his
wife and children.
Wilson was married in Boone county, Indiana, in 1851, to Miss Massa Ann Greene,
who was born in Preble county, Ohio, a daughter of David Davis and Elizabeth
(Sutton) Greene. The seven children are: David G., who is married and lives on
the home farm; William Orus, residing in Omaha, Nebraska; Lewis Franklin, living
in Iroquois county, Illinois; Mary Elizabeth, wife of Daniel McMillen, of
Antelope county, Ne[b]raska; Euphemia Meline, wife of Roy Newhouse, of the same
county, and Walter Scott and Anna, at home. One son, named Ulysses Grant, died
at the age of five years.
M. Wood was born in Erie county, New York, October 18, 1830. His ancestors were
among the early settlers of New England. His father, James Wood, a native of
Massachusetts, was a son of Thomas Wood, who was born in Worthington, that
State. The mother of H. M. Wood was Esther (Moon) Wood, a native of Rutland,
Vermont, and a daughter of Nathan Moon, also a New Englander. James Wood was
born in November, 1790, and Esther, his wife, in July, 1798, and they were
married in western New York. They had a family of eight children, four sons and
four daughters. One son, John M., served in the late war as a member of Company
C, Thirty-second Iowa Infantry. He is now a resident of Erie county, New York.
The parents both died in Erie county, new York, each at about the age of
eighty-five years. The mother was a consistent member of the Free Will Baptist
Church. The father was a man of intelligence, keen judgment and marked business
ability. He cleared some 300 acres of land, conducted a tavern and store and
bought and drove cattle, and thus did an extensive business. He was a Whig, and
was active in the political campaigns of his day. He served as county
Supervisor, and in 1846 as a member of the State Assembly, performing his public
as well as his private duties in a conscientious and earnest manner. In early
life he was a member of the Methodist Church, but subsequently united with the
Free Will Baptist, and was a deacon in that church at the time of his death. He
was a Royal Arch Mason, and a veteran of the war of 1812.
M. Wood was reared in his native county, and received his education in the
common schools. He assisted his father on the farm and in the hotel and store.
In 1851 he went to Wisconsin, and after remaining there a short time went to
Will county, Illinois. In the fall of 1852 he settled in Jackson county, Iowa,
near Maquoketa, not long afterward returning to Erie county, New York. In 1863
he came west again, this time settling in Black Hawk county, Iowa; thence, in
1867, to Dallas county. After one summer spent there he came to Adams county and
settled on wild land, where he has since continued to reside. He now has a fine
farm of 120 acres. His two-story residence is located on a natural building
site, and is surrounded with ornamental trees and shrubs, making an attractive
home. He has a good barn, orchard and grove, and other substantial improvements.
Wood has been married three times. November 7, 1852, he wedded Miss Celestia
Ward, a native of Wyoming county, New York, and a daughter of Hanibal Ward. She
died near Maquoketa, Iowa, in November, 1853, leaving twin daughters, Connelia
and Cordelia. The former is now the wife of John Wolf, of Kansas, and the latter
died at the age of seven years. In February, 1854, Mr. Wood married Mariett
Goodell, who was born in Erie county, New York, daughter of Isaac Goodell; she
bore him two children, viz.: Margery M., who died at the age of four years, and
Mary L., wife of William Wolf, of Nebraska City, Nebraska. His second wife died
at Waterloo, Black Hawk county, Iowa, November 9, 1863. He was married to his
present wife in Black Hawk county, Iowa, in February, 1864. Her maiden name was
Julia A. Benight. She was born in Vigo county, Indiana, near Terre Haute,
daughter of Guy R. and Harriette (May) Benight, both natives of New York, and
the latter reared and educated in Clark county, Illinois. Both died at the home
of Mrs. Wood, the father in Black Hawk county in 1864, and the mother in April,
1880. By his present companion Mr. Wood has had three children, two of whom are
living, namely: Esther I., wife of Rev. G. W. Palmer, who has charge of the
Methodist Episcopal Church at Persia, Iowa, and Nellie Frances, wife of S. M.
Richie, of Douglas township, this county. Both Mrs. Palmer and Mrs. Richie are
accomplished ladies, and have been successful teachers.
Wood affiliates with the Republican party, and for seven years has served as
township clerk. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has been a
class leader for twenty years; has also served as steward, both district and
recording. He was made a Mason in Instruction Lodge, No. 275, of Corning, Iowa,
in brief, is a sketch of the life of one of Adams county's well- known citizens.
Wood, of section 16, Grant township, came to this county in March, 1879, where
he is one of the well known and popular citizens. He was born in Durham,
England, July 5, 1832, a son of John and Isabella (Cook) Wood, the former a
native of Edinburgh, Scotland, and the latter of England. When Joseph was one
year old his father died, and the mother afterward married and lived in England
until her death, which occurred at the age of eighty-three years. Our subject,
the only son of his father, lived in England until twenty years of age, and for
several years worked in the coal-mines for the Marquis of Londonderry. At the
age of twenty years he sailed from Liverpool, and landed at Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania. He worked in the coal-mines at Schuylkill, that State, eight
years, and then went to Rock Island county, Illinois, where for about twenty
years he worked for P. L. Cable, a well-known railroad man. During the war he
enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry,
Company H, under Colonel Richmond and Lieutenant- Colonel A. M. Beardsley, of
Rock Island, Illinois. Mr. Wood was first under fire at Humboldt, Tennessee,
then at Vicksburg, Haines' Bluff, Helena, Little Rock, Pine Bluff and Duval's
Bluff. He was honorably discharged at the close of the war at Camp Butler,
Springfield, Illinois. He then returned to Rock Island, and in 1879 came to this
county, and bought his present farm of John Phillips, which consisted of 140
acres of rich land, well improved. He has a good frame house, 24 x 26 feet, one
and a half stories high, and also a grove and orchard of three acres, stables,
cribs and feed lots. There is also a schoolhouse on one corner of the farm.
Wood was married in Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, in 1855, to Miss Ellen
Lockey, a native of Northumberland, England, and daughter of William and Ann
(Newton) Lockey, natives also of England. Mrs. Wood was but four years of age
when her parents came to America, settling in Pennsylvania, where the father
died in Schuylkill county at the age of forty years; the mother died in Mahaska
county, Iowa, at the age of eighty-three years. Mr. and Mrs. Wood have five sons
and two daughters, viz.: Isabella, the wife of William Hall, of Oskaloosa, Iowa;
William is married and lives at Oskaloosa; Robert, Newrick, Joseph, John, Mary
Ann at home. They lost one child, James, by death at the age of nine months.
Politically Mr. Wood is a Republican, and is a member of the G. A. R., Lenox
Post. Both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Church. His parents were
Wesleyan Methodists, and Mrs. Wood was brought up in the Protestant Episcopal