Biographical History of Montgomery and Adams Counties, Iowa.
Unless otherwise noted, the following biographies were submitted by Dick Barton.
Thomas livery and sale stables, Red Oak, Iowa, were established here in 1879,
and have since changed hands. It is now one of the leading popular livery
institutions of Red Oak. For three years previous to the present
proprie[t]orship, J. P. Thomas, the father of William, was the owner and
manager. The barn is located a square east of Mr. Thomas' residence, is 25 x 112
feet in dimensions, and the buggy room is fifty feet square. Every department is
neat and well-arranged. Mr. Thomas keeps twenty head of good driving horses, for
all classes of drivers, and splendid carriages, both single and double, and his
turnouts are second to none in style and comfort.
Thomas came to this county in 1876. He was born in Louisa county, Iowa, in 1858,
the son of J. t. Thomas, a well-known citizen of Red Oak; was reared to farm
work and was married in January, 1880, to Mary A. Hughes, and they have two
children: Etta and Louie. Mr. Thomas is a good business man, accommodating and
popular. He is a member of Lodge No. 120, I. O. O. F.
M. Thompson, a leading pioneer of Washington township, Adams county, Iowa, was
born in Warrick county, Indiana, April 16, 1838. His parents were John and Sarah
(Igelhart) Thompson, the father a native of Kentucky and the mother, of
Maryland. In 1820 John Thompson settled on a farm in Warrick county, Indiana,
being among the pioneers of that place. At one time he was a major in militia
company. He moved to Wapello county, Iowa, in 1844, where he continued farming
which he had followed all his life. He died in Adams county, Iowa, August 14,
1857, at the age of sixty years. The mother went with her parents from Maryland
to Kentucky, where, in 1820, she was united in marriage with Mr. Thompson. Of
their thirteen children five are still living.
the Rebellion when our country was in need of soldiers to protect her flag, Mr.
Thompson was not slow in answering to the call. He enlisted August 13, 1862, in
Company D, Twenty-ninth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and served with bravery until
he was honorably discharged at New Orleans, August 10, 1865. During all that
time he was never wounded or taken prisoner, but made many narrow escapes.
war closing, he returned North, was paid off at Davenport, Iowa, and soon
afterward engaged in farming at his present location, section 12, Washington
township. He had come from Indiana to Iowa with his parents in 1844, and from
Wapello county to Adams county in 1857. At that time there was only one store in
Quincy, its supply of goods being brought from St. Joseph, Missouri. Mr.
Thompson now owns 300 acres of land, all under a good state of cultivation, his
principal crops being wheat, oats, corn and grass. His dwelling, fronting the
section road, is nicely located on an elevation which commands an imposing view
of a most beautiful and fertile country. In short, he is well fixed.
Thompson was married in 1865 to Miss Martha A. Schooling, daughter of R. H.
Schooling, an old and most highly respected settler of Adams county. Twelve
children have been born to them, four of whom died in infancy. Those living are
Rhoda S., who married Harrison Powell, a farmer of Adams county, and has two
children living, Milla M. and Emory L.; Lowrey J., who is engaged in farming on
his own account on a claim in Custer county, Nebraska; Charles M., farming for
himself on the home place; and Louis M., Almira A., Louisa W., Chester A. and
Jessie Pearl. Mr. Thompson is a member of the Baptist Church. Politically he is
independent, casting his vote for the man rather than the party. He is a member
of the Farmers' Alliance, and is a good example of the worthy, progressive and
In connection with the family history of Mr. Thompson it should be further stated that he had two brothers, John L. and James A., who served in the army, the former in the same company and at the same time with him. John L. was wounded in a running fight, but is still living, aged fifty-five years. James A., a member of the same company, was mustered out after serving some time; was discharged at the hospital at Keokuk, Iowa; died in 1868, at the age of twenty-seven years, from the effects of army exposure.
This gentleman is another one of the worthy citizens of Carl township who is deserving of representation in the history of his county.
Mr. Timmerman dates his birth in Shelby county, Illinois, August 7, 1841. His father, James Timmerman, was a native of Ohio and of German extraction, and his mother, nee Maria Brown, also a native of Ohio, was a daughter of John Brown, a soldier of the war of 1812. James Timmerman and wife moved west and became pioneers of Illinois. The former died at Marietta, Fulton county, that State, about 1856. He was born in 1814. By trade he was a carpenter; in politics, a Whig, and in religion a Methodist. The mother died in Cowley county, Kansas, in 1879.
John Timmerman was reared on a farm in his native State, receiving a limited education in the common schools of Shelby and McDonough counties. He was handy with tools, and worked at the carpenter's trade for some time. At the age of twenty-one he came to Monroe county, Iowa. In November, 1864, he enlisted in Company F, Sixteenth Iowa Infantry Volunteers. He participated in the battles of Nashville, Tennessee, and Kingston, North Carolina, and while near Raleigh was struck by a spent ball. It passed through the clothing on his arm and dropped into his hand, stunning and disabling him for a short time. He was honorably discharged at Davenport, Iowa.
In 1878 Mr. Timmerman came to Adams county, bought eighty acres of wild land, which he has improved, and now has a good farm and nice home. He has bought eighty acres more lately joining on the north.
He was married February 22, 1867, to Mahala Boggs, who was born in Monroe county, Iowa, July 13, 1845, and reared and educated there. Her father, Josiah C. Boggs, was born in Baxter county, Virginia, and was one of the first four pioneers to locate in Monroe county, Iowa. Her mother was Louisa Lemaster before her marriage. She was born in Point Pleasant, Virginia, and died when Mrs. Timmerman was twelve years old. The father died August 12, 1888. He was a man of means and had a fine farm of 300 acres. He and his wife had thirteen children, five sons and eight daughters. Josiah C. Boggs was the son of a slave-owner. He was for many years an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and his political views were in harmony with Republican principles.
Mr. and Mrs. Timmerman have two sons, viz.: James Henry, born April 16, 1868, and Charles, born September 10, 1878. Mr. Timmerman is a Republican, and a member of the J. H. Wagner Post, G. A. R.
William Tindall was born in New York City in 1849. His father, George P. Tindall, was a native of the East, and a descendant of German ancestry; was by trade a cabinet and carriage maker. His death occurred in New York City. The mother of our subject was Mary Garrison. She died when he was a small child.
Young Tindall spent his early years on the farm and received a limited education in the common schools. At the age of fifteen he enlisted in the service of his country; but his father, thinking him too young for the hardships of camp life and the battle field, took him out of the regiment. At eighteen he came West and located at Kewanee, Henry county, Illinois, where he subsequently cast his first vote for General Grant. From there he moved to Stark county, same State, where he remained until 1878. That year he came to his present location, section 4, Douglas township, Adams county, Iowa. Here he purchased eighty acres of wild land which he has since improved and developed into a fine farm. His cottage home is located on a natural building site and is shaded by beautiful oak trees.
While a resident of Stark county, Illinois, Mr. Tindall was married, at Osceola, August 13, 1869, to Miss Jane Gary, a lady of intelligence and of good family. She was born at Nesquehoning, near Mauch Chunk, Carbon county, Pennsylvania. He father, Daniel Gary, a native of county Cork, Ireland, came when a young man to America, and in Pennsylvania was united in marriage to Mrs. Elizabeth Abbott, a native of Derbyshire, England, and a daughter of William and Ellen Marsden. Daniel Gary and wife had four children. He died in Pennsylvania in 1855. Mrs. Tindall received her education at Tamaqua, Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania. The seven children born to Mr. and Mrs. Tindall are as follows: Sarah, Florence, Ray, Retta, Jessie, Charles and Emma Marsden. The two oldest daughters and their parents are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Carbon. Mr. Tindall is an intelligent and much respected citizen. His political views are in harmony with Republican principles.
B. E. Titus has been identified with the agricultural interests of Adams county since 1882, having settled here in March of that year. He was born in Brown county, Indiana, August ___, 1831, and is a son of Benjamin and Hannah (Evans) Titus. The father was a native of Pennsylvania and was of English descent; the latter was born in Virginia, of Scotch ancestry. They were early settlers of Indiana, where they reared a family of eight children, six of whom survive.
Our subject was reared to the occupation of a farmer, and during his boyhood attended the common schools. At the age of seventeen years he went to learn the trade of a blacksmith, serving an apprenticeship of three years with Hill & Phillips, of Indianapolis, Indiana. Afterward for a period of six years he worked as a journeyman, and then engaged in business for himself at Thorntown, Indiana. In 1850 he went to Tippecanoe county, and for fifteen years was engaged at his trade at Culver Station.
Mr. Titus was married in Boone county, Indiana, June 5, 1852, to Miss Elizabeth Green, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of David and Elizabeth (Sutton) Green, natives of New Jersey and New York respectively. It was not until 1870 that he emigrated to Iowa, and settled in Pierce township, Page county. There he followed his trade for a year, locating at the end of that time on an unimproved farm of seventy-six acres. He spent much time and labor on this place, and resided there until 1882, coming at that time to Adams county. Here he has bought 138 acres of land, which has been improved by J. E. Jones. It is choice farming land, and has many modern improvements.
Mr. and Mrs. Titus are the parents of six children: Lina, the wife of James W. Warner, of Tippecanoe county, Indiana; Emma, a school-teacher in this county; Linda L.; Benjamin G., who married Unie Bigham; Mary, wife of Edward Peregrine; and Ella, also a teacher of this county. The parents and daughters are active and consistent members of the Christian Church, and the family are highly respected members of the community in which they are residents.
In his political opinion Mr. Titus adheres to the principles of the Republican party. He is a self-made man, and by his own industry he has accumulated a comfortable living.
Mr. Toohey was born in Lee, county Tipperary, Ireland, in 1825, a son of poor but honest and respected parents, Michael and Winifred (Burke) Toohey, both natives of the Emerald Isle. Patrick was reared in Ireland and when a young man emigrated to Canada, settling near Guelph, Ontario. While a resident of that place he was united in marriage with the playmate of his youth, Miss Johanna Brairton, a native of county Tipperary, and a daughter of William and Mary (Ryan) Brairton, both of Ireland. Mr. Toohey and his wife lived in Canada some seven years after their marriage, and then came west and located in Sterling, Whiteside, county, Illinois.
In that small, quiet town in Illinois Pat Toohey was living when news of the war of the Rebellion reached him. A love for the country of his adoption and her free institutions caused him to risk his life for her protection. Enlisting in the Thirty-fourth Illinois Infantry, Volunteers, he kissed his wife and children good-bye, and went to the front. He was in any important engagements, and was with Sherman on his memorable march from Atlanta to the sea; was never wounded, but while in service contracted a chronic disease from which he never recovered. After receiving an honorable discharge, he returned to his family at Sterling, Illinois, where they continued to reside until 1876. That year he removed to Page county, Iowa, thence to Jackson township, Montgomery county, remaining at the atter place one year. He then bought a farm of eighty acres in Douglas township, Adams county, where he spent the rest of his life, and where his widow now lives. This farm is now owned by his son, John Toohey, an intelligent and enterprising citizen.
Patrick Toohey died March 19, 1881. In politics he was a Democrat; in religion a devout Catholic. The widow and seven children survive. The names of the latter are as follows: Mary Ann, at home; Michael, Greeley county, Nebraska; Kate, wife of Patrick Grady, Greeley county, Nebraka; Anna, wife of William Devereaux, Douglas township, this county; Emma, wife of William Hauf, of Chicago; and John and Patrick, twins, the former at the homestead and the latter a resident of Greeley county, Nebraska.
Horace Mann Towner, Judge of the District Court of the district comprising the major portion of the Blue Grass region of Iowa, was born in Belvidere, Boone county, Illinois, in 1855. His father, John L. Towner, a native of New York, was for many years a minister of the Christian church, preaching in Illinois for a long period, and came to Iowa in 1885, with his wife, who has shared his lot for forty years, and they are spending their declining years in pastoral pursuits. The Judge was graduated during his youth at the high school in Belvidere, and then taught school for a number of years in Illinois and in Adams county, Iowa. Here he was elected county Superintendent of schools. But while he was teacher, especially at intervals from educational work, he was studying law, and he was admitted to the bar by Judge Forey in 1878. After the close of his term of office as School Superintendent, he began the practice of law, and soon gained for himself a prominent position in the legal profession. In November, 1890, he was elected on the Republican ticket to his present position, his opponent being Hon. M. A. Campbell. He has already won for himself an excellent reputation as Judge. Having exhibited great ability both as an advocate and as a Judge, he must be considered one of the rising young men of the State. he is a member of the orders of F. and A. M. and K. of P.
In 1885 he married Miss Hattie E. Cole, a lady of rare culture, the daughter of Charles T. Cole, who has been for many years cashier of the Corning National Bank, and they have two children.
Robert Townsley, one of the aged and prominent farmers of Washington township, Adams county, Iowa, is a native of Champaign county, Iowa, born June 13, 1830. His parents were John and Hannah (Marshall) Townsley, both natives of Ohio. The father, a miller by trade, died in 1832. His wife lived to be seventy-four years of age, dying in 1866. She was a devoted Christian and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Of their nine children Robert is the youngest, and he and his brothers, James and William, are the only ones now living.
When Mr. Townsley was twelve years old his mother broke up housekeeping and he went out to work on a farm. He was employed as a farm laborer when the war broke out. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company G, One Hundredth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served in a number of important engagements, always acting the part of a brave soldier. November 25, 1863, at the battle of Mission Ridge he was wounded. He was sent home on a furlough and after two months rejoined his regiment, continuing in the service until he was honorably discharged in June, 1865. His father had been a soldier in the war of 1812, and for services rendered his mother received a land warrant.
The war over, Mr. Townsley engaged in farming on rented land near Oxford, Benton county, Indiana. In 1868 he came from there to Page county, Iowa, where he rented land for three years. Then, in 1871, he bought the eighty acres in section 3 where he now resides. This place is well improved and devoted to general farming, his chief products being corn, oats and grass. His residence is located two miles and a half northwest of Mount Etna.
In 1866 Mr. Townsley was united in marriage with Miss Emily Fletcher, daughter of John and Sarah A. (Wrightsel) Fletcher of Benton county, Indiana. John Fletcher was a carpenter by trade, and in his later years was engaged in farming. He was well and favorably known throughout his county. He was born March 28, 1816, and died June 11, 1885. His wife was born August 5, 1824, and died June 14, 1873. They were the parents of nine children, Mrs. Townsley being the oldest. Mr. and Mrs. Townsley have five children, - Lulie, John, William and Lillie (twins), and Anna.
Mr. Townsley is a member of the G. A. R. post, and is Senior Vice- Commander of the same. In politics he is independent, usually, however, voting with the Republican party.
In referring to the history of Mrs. Townsley's parents, it should be further stated that they were married on the 11th of February, 1841.
William Trushel was born in Harrison county, Ohio, April 21, 1841, son of John and Emily Trushel. At the age of sixteen he began business for himself by learning the carpenter's trade, at which occupation he worked until 1886. He came to Iowa from Fulton county, Illinois, about 1860, and for fifteen years worked with the Eagle Manufacturing Company at Davenport. At the end of that time he came to Adams county and has since resided here. He moved to his present farm in section 17, Washington township, in 1880. Here he owns 120 acres of fine land, all under good state of cultivation, located two miles and a half west of Mount Etna.
March 3, 1862, Mr. Trushel married Miss Eliza Miner, by whom he had three children, viz.: James, who is engaged in farming in partnership with his father; Sarah, who has charge of the affairs at home; and Martha, also of the home circle. Mrs. Trushel departed this life in 1871, at the age of twenty-eight years. She was a woman of many estimable qualities and her untimely death was a sad blow to her family and many friends.
Mr. Trushel is politically a Republican.
George Tully, of section 26, Grant township, Castle Brae Farm, came to this county in 1881, and , like many of Iowa's successful and honored citizens, is a native of Scotland, born on the banks of the Tweed, in Roxburghshire, November 8, 1822, a son of Andrew and Catharine (Dickie) Tully, also natives of Scotland. The father was a son of Andrew Tully, Sr., who was a man of note in Scotland; the mother was a daughter of John Dickie. Our subject's parents came to Peterborough county, Canada, when that country was yet new, and they had to carry their grist to mill on their backs. They lived there until death, the mother dying at the age of seventy-four years, and the father at the age of ninety. They reared a family of six sons and two daughters, and two of the sons were prominent clergymen in the Presbyterian Church. One son, Dr. Tully, located near Philadelphia, and another, Rev. Andrew Tully, at one time in early days owned 240 acres of land in Adams county.
George, our subject, was reared on a farm, receiving his education in the common schools. At the age of twenty-eight years, in 1850, he married Jane Fowler, a woman of intelligence, who has been a devoted wife and helpmate to her husband. She was born January 29, 1830, in Peterborough county, Canada, a daughter of William and Ann (Ingles) Fowler, the former a native of Roxburghshire, Scotland, and the latter of Yorkshire, England. The parents were married in Canada, and reared a family of eleven children, eight daughters and three sons. They lived until death in Peterborough county, the father dying at the age of eighty-four years, and the mother at the age of eighty-three. After his marriage Mr. Tully improved a farm in his neighborhood, where he built a good brick house and barns. He sold this place in 1880, and the next year bought a farm of 320 acres in Grant township of Arch Casteel, where he has a good house, 14 x 24 feet, with an addition 14 x 14 feet, one and a half stories high, situated on a natural building site four miles from Lenox, and surrounded by a fine grove and orchard of six acres.
Mr. and Mrs. Tully have eight children, six daughters and two sons, all born in Peterborough county, namely: Andrew, born December 28, 1851, was married February 6, 1883, to Miss Mary Agnes Davidson, who was reared and educated in Peterborough, a daughter of Donald and Sarah (Robinson) Davidson; they have three sons, - George M., Herbert D. and Wellington Bruce; Ann is the wife of W. C. Smith, principal of the schools at Peterborough, and they have eight children, - Lottie J. L., Florence A. L., Lavina A. G., Mary E., Etta H., Clarence M., Keneth Maxwell and an infant daughter; William F. married Rachel Kane, and they have one son, - Robert; Mary Jane is the wife of Duncan McFee, of Union county, Iowa, and they have four children, - George A., Robert W., Mabel J. and Willmer; Margaret is the wife of John McFee, also of Union county, and they have two children, - George A. and Louis W; Elizabeth Ellen is the wife of Thomas Kane, of Grant township, and they have one child, - Gertrude Zepherene; Agnes Georgia is the wife of George McFee, of Grant township, and they have one child, - Agnes Luella; Ada Louise Dickie is at home, and has been enlisted as one of Adams county's teachers. Mr. Tully is a Republican politically, and has served as Justice of the Peace of Grant township. Religiously he is an active worker in the Presbyterian Church, in which he is also an elder.
Jesse L Twining, druggist at Corning, was born in Washington county, Iowa, in 1850, the son of Rev. E. W. Twining, one of the most noted pioneer Methodist ministers of Iowa, who was in the service for more than half a century, entering it before Iowa was a State. He held meetings in log cabins and under trees, and endured innumerable hardships in his travels; but he had a successful career. He is yet living, at the age of three score and ten years, still zealous in the holy work, though long since retired from severe labors. He was a descendant from the old Puritan stock that settled in Massachusetts. Later he lived in Licking county, Ohio, studied theology at the Lane Theological Seminary under Dr. Beecher, and began preaching in 1840; was the founder of Cornell (Iowa) College, and was for years its main supporter. The subject of this sketch was educated at the college at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, then took a regular medical course at the Chicago Medical College, graduating in 1872. After practicing in Iowa for a time he began the drug business at Corning, which he still conducts. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, is a Knight of Pythias, a Knight Templar, a member of the School Board, the present Mayor of the city, and one of the most popular men in the county.
He was married in
1876, to Miss Flora D. Rowley, also a member of the Presbyterian Church,
and they have four children.