Biographical History of Montgomery and Adams Counties, Iowa.
Unless otherwise noted, the following biographies were submitted by Dick Barton.
Frank La Rue, cashier of the State Savings Bank at Corning, was born in Lansing, Michigan, in 1861. His father, Franklin La Rue, is a native of New York, was a civil engineer during his active life and is now retired and residing in Corning. His mother, whose maiden name was Emily Chapin, was of an old New England family. He completed his education in a business college and before he was twenty-one years of age he was appointed deputy county Treasurer. After ten years of service, in 1887, he was elected to the office of county Treasurer. His record of twelve years as a public officer and employe is one of which he may well be proud. When, in February, 1890, the Corning State Savings Bank was organized, he was appointed cashier; and the confidence of the people in the institution is shown by the fact of its amazing growth in business. It is already recognized as an important financial institution in the State. Mr. La Rue is a member of the Blue Lodge of the Masonic order, and also of the Chapter and of the Knights of Pythias.
In 1886 he married Miss Anna Beymer, a daughter of one of Corning's earliest citizens and a lady of more than ordinary culture and piety. They have an interesting son, now three years old, and named Frank J.
Henry Howitt La Rue, lumberman, of Corning, was born in Ingham county, Michigan, July 11, 1852, a son of Franklin and Amelia La Rue. In 1866 the family removed to Bloomington, Illinois, where the subject of this sketch attended the Wesleyan University; then until 1879 he followed farming, at which time he came to Corning. Here he first began as clerk for the Rand Lumber Company. At the end of about five years he opened out into business for himself, buying the yard of A. M. Beymer. Since engaging in the lumber trade here a careful estimate would place the amount sold by him at the enormous aggregate of 10,000,000 feet. The steady growth of his business attests the esteem in which he is held by the people. He has the largest stock in the county.
In 1883 he married Miss Emma Jennings, whose parents still reside at Normal, Illinois, and who was educated at Majors College. Mr. and Mrs. La Rue are exemplary members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Harry Lamboley, one of the intelligent and solid men of Quincy township, has resided in this vicinity since 1885. Mr. Lamboley is a native of France born January 6, 1850, son of Felix and Frances (Doubet) Lamboley, natives of that country. For seven years his father was a soldier in the French army. At one of the battles in which he participated a brave and gallant officer was wounded and left on the field to die, and at the risk of his own life Mr. Lamboley went to him and bore him off the battle-field. For this heroic act he was granted a pension of $8 per month and given a medal of honor. His mother dying when he was eighteen months old, Harry was brought by Xavier Doubet to America, and was reared on a farm in Peoria county, Illinois, receiving his education in the common schools. He subsequently spent some time in Knox county, that State. In 1885 he came to Adams county and bought a farm - ninety acres - of Uriah Thomas. He has since acquired other lands and is now the owner of 270 acres. His farm is under a high state of cultivation, and the substantial improvements and general surroundings all indicate that prosperity is attending the owner. Among his stock are some thorough-bred shorthorn cattle.
Mr. Lamboley was married in Peoria county, Illinois, February 5, 1873, to Miss Ellen Lonsdale, who was born and reared in that county, daughter of Henry and Anna (Malone) Lonsdale. Her father was an Englishman, and both her parents died in Peoria county, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Lamboley have five children: Henry Felix, Francis La Fayette, Rebecca Ellen, Charles E. and Deliah Isabelle. Mr. Lamboley is a member of the Farmers' Alliance. Mrs. Lamboley's father was born in Lancashire, England; her mother was born in Ireland, at Belfast. Mr. Lamboley has a sister living in Adams county, Iowa, and a brother who is engaged in farming in Knox county, Illinois.
John H. Landers resides on section 26, where he has a farm of 160 acres, comprising the northwest quarter of this section. He has owned this land since the spring of 1883, and has been a resident of the county since the fall of 1882, at which time he settled in Corning. He was born in Adams county, Illinois, in 1840, but grew to manhood in La Salle and Bureau counties. His father was John Landers, who emigrated from Canada with teams, in 1839, and settled in Adams county, Illinois. The following spring he removed to Knox county, where the family resided seven years, and after other moves finally settled near the present city of Rochelle, in 1853. There he located on Government land, and made a home for himself and family, and there lived till 1867, when he removed to Montgomery county, Iowa, and now resides at Lamoni, Iowa. He has attained the advanced age of ninety-seven years, having been born in 1794. His father, the paternal grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was a resident of the colony of New York when the Revolutionary war began. He enlisted in the Continental army and served seven years in that struggle. After the war he settled in Canada. John Landers was a resident of Canada when the war of 1812 broke out, and was drafted into the British army; but all his sympathies were on the side of the Americans, his father having fought for liberty in the war of the Revolution. He therefore deserted the British army, and served in the pioneer corps in the United States service, in which he received a severe gunshot wound. After the war he returned to Canada and was arrested as a deserter; but in consideration of his youth and the fact that the war was over, he was spared the extreme penalty of the law for desertion, and sentenced to seven years in the British service; but owing to an order for the decrease of the Canadian army, his regiment was disbanded at St. Johns, New Brunswiek.
He married in Nova Scotia a Miss Griffin, by whom he had two children, a son and a daughter. The former was killed after he had attained manhood by falling from the mast-head of a vessel at sea. The latter is now a resident of Harrison county, Iowa, the wife of Wm. Small.
Mr. Landers, Sr., was married the second time near Prescott, Canada. This union was blessed with nine children, only three of whom are living, among then the subject of this notice. In order of birth they are: Catherine, wife of Charles Stedman; Alexander, a resident of Washington county, Kansas, the subject of this notice being the youngest of the three survivers. All of the family but two attained to mature years. The mother is till living, being eleven years the junior of her husband. Henry, the youngest son, served in Battery G, Second Illinois Artillery, and died after the war from disease contracted in the service. His parents have received a pension for his services in the cause of the Union.
John H. enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Fortieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served 130 days in Tennessee, Alabama and Missouri. He returned to Illinois, where he resided until spring, 1869, when he came to Montgomery county and purchased land in Pilot Grove township, which he improved and on which he lived five years. He purchased and improved a farm of 160 acres near Red Oak. He then removed to Villisca, where he purchased a hotel, which he ran for a time, when he engaged in the livery and stock business. He then bought a farm in West township, Montgomery county, of 160 acres, which he sold. He next purchased a farm in the northern part of Page county and came to Corning in the fall of 1880. Mr. Landers is engaged in general stock business, buying, breeding and shipping.
He was married in Rochelle, Illinois, in June, 1867, to Miss Margaret Ann Swartz, a native of Canada. Her parents are William and Eunice Swartz. They have nine children, five sons and four daughters. They lost their oldest at the age of six years.
Josiah P. Latimer, one of the prominent farmers of section 14, Lincoln township, Adams county (Carbon post-office), was born in Jefferson county, Ohio, November 7, 1831. His parents were James and Catherine Latimer, both natives of Ohio. The father was a farmer by occupation. He moved from Jefferson to Harrison county, Ohio, in 1832, and settled on a farm. He lived there until 1855 when he came to Washington county, Iowa, and settled on land a large portion of which he improved. From there he moved to Whiteside county, Illinois, in 1869, and lived there until his death June 3, 1870, at the age of sixty-six years, one month and twenty- one days. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church and an elder in the same. His wife died in 1885, aged eighty-three years. She also was a member of the Presbyterian Church.
Out subject is the second in a family of five boys and two girls; he was educated in the public schools of Ohio and began for himself at about the age of eighteen years, at which time he went to learn the harness maker's trade; he worked at that trade for three years, then farmed until the war opened. During the war he worked on Government contracts in the harness business in Pittsburg and Allegheny City. This he continued until 1864, when he came to Iowa and worked in the shop at Burlington for two years; then he went to Whiteside county, Illinois, and settled on a farm. He followed this occupation for seven years before coming to Iowa. He came to Adams county in 1875 and settled on the farm where he now resides. It was wild land then, and he first owned eighty acres, to which he has since added another eighty acres. He now has a beautiful farm of Adams county's rich soil. His farm is well adapted both to stock and grain; the land is well improved and divied off into fields of convenient size. He has a nice grove of maple and willow trees and an orchard. His house is 18 x 26, one and a half stories, and an L 16 x 22 feet, also one and half stories high. He has a new and convenient barn and sheds for the shelter of stock.
Mr. Latimer was married December 31, 1868, to Miss Mary Wycoff, daughter of Abram Wycoff of Des Moines county, Iowa.
The home of our subject and wife has been cheered in the birth of four children, viz.: William F., Nicholas P., Stewart E. and Lydia Pearl. The parents are members of the United Brethren Church.
In politics our subject is Republican. He is an honored citizen and worthy of the esteem in which he is held.
D. Lawrence, who resides in section 26, Douglas township, Adams county, Iowa,
dates his arrival in this county April 24, 1855.
Lawrence made his appearance on this mundane sphere, in Morgan county, Ohio,
December 2, 1839. His father, Thomas H. Lawrence, a native of Maine, was a son
of Zachariah Lawrence, who was of English descent and a soldier in the war of
1812. Thomas H. was five years old when his parents moved to Ohio, where he was
reared and lived until 1855, and where he was united in marriage with Patience
Devol, a native of Ohio and a daughter of Presberry Devol. Her father, a native
of Rhode Island, was also of English descent. In 1855 Thomas H. Lawrence came
from Ohio by steamboat on the Ohio and Missouri rivers to St. Joseph, thence by
ox teams to Adams county, Iowa, and settled on section 5, Jasper township. He
died at Quincy, in February, 1865, aged fifty- four years. By trade he was a
mechanic, stone mason and plasterer; in politics a Republican; and in his life
exemplified the truths of Christianity. His wife died at the age of sixty-two.
She was a member of the Baptist Church. They had thirteen children, seven sons
and six daughters, of whom Clark D. was the third born and oldest son. He was
fifteen years old when the family came to Adams county.
13, 1861, Mr. Lawrence enlisted in Company H, Fourth Iowa Infantry, Captain E.
Y. Burgan, and served three years, one month and twenty-one days. At Pea Ridge,
Arkansas, he was wounded in the right thigh, and was confined in the hospital
until April 16, when he was granted a furlough and returned home for a time.
July 14 he rejoined his regiment at Helena, Arkansas. He participated in a
number of important engagements, and on September 4, 1864, was honorably
discharged at Jonesborough, Georgia, after which he returned to Adams county.
Lawrence subsequently spent four years and a half on a farm (homestead) in
Sherman county, Kansas, being among the early settlers of that place. He came to
his present farm in 1880. Here he has eighty acres of well improved land, with
good orchard and fine grove, comfortable cottage home, outbuildings, etc. He has
a good mule team that has done min service for twenty-four years.
2, 1864, Mr. Lawrence was married to Sarah R. Clark, who was born in Henry
county, Iowa, daughter of Manly and Mary E. (Bell) Clark. Eight sons have been
born to them, six of whom are living, viz: Thomas H., Horace C., Frank D.,
Walter E., Doc B. and John L. Manly C. and Zachariah Presberry are those
Lawrence is in politics a Republican, and as township trustee had made an
efficient officer. He is a member of the Llewellyn Post, G. A. R., of Corning,
Iowa. James Llewellyn was the first man killed in the Rebellion, from Adams
county; he was a member of Company H, Fourth Iowa.
From Floyd Harlow Lawrence:
of Clark Devol Lawrence, wife Sarah Rebecca Clark, & grandchildren Prentis,
& Gladys. This is the best pic of Clark, & his grandchildren were
born in the 19th century.
Leach, proprietor of the Lone-Tree stock farm in Red Oak township, is one of the
well known, successful and popular citizens of the county, arriving here in
1871. He was born in Niagara county, New York, January 26, 1849, a son of Hiram
Leach, a native of Connecticut. His mother's maiden name was Maria Farnham; she
was a native of Canada but was reared in New York State, moving there in 1851.
The Leach family moved to Lee county, Illinois, near Dixon, and there the
father's father resided until death, which accidentally occurred in Rock river.
Mr. Leach, our present subject, was brought up on a farm. At the age of fifteen
years he ran away from home and enlisted in the Seventh Illinois Cavalry; he
afterward was transferred in turn to the Sixth and Ninth Illinois Cavalry and
Second Iowa Cavalry; was under General Frierson, and did some gallant service
for his country; was also for a time under General Hatch, and made a brilliant
record. His regiment was under fire at Memphis, and was on the Smith campaign,
and for awhile guarded a railroad station at Nashville. At one time he was
sixty-five days in the saddle without change. He was honorably discharged
November 14, 1865, and returned to Lee county, Illinois.
1866-68 he spent two years in Northern Iowa; in 1869-70 one year in Hardin
county, Iowa; then a year in Marshall county, also in this State; and finally,
in company with his brother, Ed Leach, came to Montgomery county, where he first
bought eighty acres of land; but he now owns 360 acres of well improved land,
whereon he has a good residence on a pleasant site, with well ordered premises.
Barns and other farm buildings are sufficient and in good order. Mr. Leach and
family seem to be well supplied with the comforts of domestic life. The farm is
stocked with high grades and thoroughbreds, short-horn cattle and fifty
Herefords. The fences and all improvements exhibit the good taste, shrewd
judgment and thrift of the proprietor.
April 10, 1876, is the date of Mr. Leach's marriage to Miss Hannah T. Blatz, a lady of high culture who was born in Guernsey county, Ohio, and was a child when her parents removed with her to Warren county, Illinois, where she was reared; in 1874 they came to Montgomery county. Her parents were John and Mary A. (Porter) Blatz, - the father a native of Guernsey county, Ohio, and the mother of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. Before her marriage she was a successful and popular teacher, commencing her profession at the early age of fifteen years. She is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. In their family are five children: Earl C., Jesse Boyd, Frank F., Melville C. and Mildred. Mr. Leach is a Democrat in his political sympathies; is a member of Garfield Post, No. 57, G. A. R., and of the Blue Lodge, No. 62, F. & A. M., having been first, initiated at Red Oak in 1886; also a member of Tormie Lodge, No. 152, K. of P., and of Company K, Fifth Regiment of Iowa, being Captain. He is now in the prime of life, intelligent, well informed on general topics, broad and progressive in his views, frank and cordial in manner, and honorable in business and popular as a citizen.
Mr. Leigh was born in Oneida county, New York, December 31, 1860. His father, Charles Leigh, deceased, was born in Rensselaer county, that State, son of John Leigh, who was of German extraction. The wife of Charles Leigh and the mother of George W. was before her marriage Miss Frances Huntington. She was born, reared and educated in Rensselaer county, New York. The subject of our sketch was four years old when his parents came to Cedar county, Iowa, and located near Clarence. There the family lived until 1875, when the father came to Adams county and purchased a farm of John Chatman. On this farm, which is located in section 11, Carl township, George W. now lives. Here the father died, aged sixty years. He had been engaged in the lumber business most of his life, operating saw-mills, building and contracting, and was a successful business man. Politically he was a Republican. The mother died in Cedar county. They reared a family of three sons and one daughter, viz.: Adella, wife of Alfred Ballou, who resides in Carl township, this county; George W., whose name heads this biography; Perry, who died at the age of twenty-four years, and Eugene, also a resident of Carl township.
George W. Leigh
spent his youth at farm work and received his education in Cedar county.
As already stated, he now resides on the old homestead, where he is
engaged in general farming and stock-raising. He is a man of intelligence,
is well informed on the topics of the day, is frank and cordial with
all, and adheres to the strictest integrity in his business dealings.
Although a young man, he is regarded as one of the substantial citizens
of Carl township.
S. Lewellen, a farmer of section 16, Jasper township, was born in Wapello
county, Iowa, in 1850, the son of Pleasant Lewellen, a native of Kentucky and a
playmate of Abraham Lincoln in their boyhood. He went to Harrison county,
Indiana, when a young man, where he married the widow of john Van Fossen: her
maiden name was Nancy Schoonover, and she was a native of Harrison county,
Indiana. Some time after their marriage she and her husband moved to Wapello
county, Iowa, as pioneers there. She died in 1856. In 1861 he enlisted in the
army and served two and a half years, as a member of the Fifteenth Iowa
Infantry. Then returning to Iowa he joined the "Graybeard" regiment,
and was on the western frontier two years, freezing his feet on one occasion and
losing some of his toes.
but five years old his mother died, and young Manuel started out in the world
for himself at the early age of ten years. In 1883 he left Wapello county and
came to Jasper township, Adams county, locating on section 21, where he improved
a farm of eighty acres of wild prairie land. This he sold in 1888 and for two
years rented his present farm, known then as the J. S. McCanley farm; and then
he purchased it. there are 160 acres, all good land and well improved. On it
there is a good frame house, barn, orchard, etc. The orchard is a specially fine
one, containing as it does 300 bearing trees. Besides, there are plats of all
kinds of small fruit. Mr. Lewellen is engaged in general farming and
stock-raising. He is a member of instruction Lodge, No. 275, F. & A. M., at
Corning, Iowa; was made a Mason in Martinsburg Lodge at Martinsburg, Keokuk
county, Iowa, in 1876. He is also a zealous member of Emblem Chapter, No. 64, O.
E. S., at Corning, Iowa, as is Mrs. Lewellen. In his politics he is a
Liegerot, a prominent farmer of Adams county, first came to the State of Iowa in
the year 1855. He is a native of France, born April 3, 1844, and a son of
Dominick and Marie Catherine (Villemain) Liegerot, natives of France. The father
followed the trade of a carpenter in the old country; he emigrated to America in
the summer of 1854, landing at New Orleans; thence he continued his journey up
the Mississippi and Missouri rivers to St. Joseph, Missouri; from that point he
came to Adams county, Iowa, and located in Quincy township; he entered forty
acres of Government land and forty-eight acres of swamp land, and in connection
with his agricultural pursuits he engaged in the manufacture of lumber, sawing
out almost all of the material used in the building of the old town of Quincy,
which was then the county seat. In 1857 he removed to Hancock county, Illinois,
where he resided until his death which occurred in October, 1865, at the age of
fifty-seven years; his wife survived him until October, 1855, aged seventy-two
years. They were the parents of four children: Emile, Marie Catherine, Irma, and
the subject of this notice.
Liegerot was ten years of age when he came to this country with his parents. He
was reared to the occupation of a farmer, and attended the common schools. When
he was eighteen years old his father gave him his time, and he became the
architect of his own fortunes. He first went to learn the wagon-maker's trade,
but remained only eight months, during which time he learned enough of the trade
to make both the wood and iron work, and this knowledge was of great worth to
him in after years. He afterwards was employed in various callings until his
marriage which occurred in Hancock county, Illinois, January 1, 1866; he was
then united to Miss America Eveline Jackman, a native of Illinois, and a
daughter of Permeno and Catherine (Golden) Jackman, old settlers of Hancock
county of Puritan ancestry.
1866 Mr. Liegerot removed to Adams county, arriving on May 13th. He purchased
160 of land on section 28, Jasper township; he improved this and made his home
there until 1871, when he sold out and moved to Nodaway county, Missouri; at the
end of a year and a half he sold his farm there and again returned to Adams
county. He and his wife had born to them four children; the oldest one died in
infancy; Irma Iola is the wife of E. P. smith of Corning; Charles Permeno
survives, and Leon died at the age of three months. The mother of these children
died November 6, 1872. Mr. Liegerot was a second time married, being united
November 8, 1874, to Miss Emma Stratton, a native of Pennsylvania, and a
daughter of Daniel E. and Hannah (Luce) Stratton; the former was a native of New
York, and the latter of Pennsylvania; they came to Adams county in 1871, and
still reside there. Six children have been born of this second marriage; Birdie,
deceased, Ernest, [deceased], Louie, deceased, Leo, Lois, and Grace.
Mr. Liegerot has a landed estate of 295 acres; he has made many improvements and has the land under excellent cultivation. Politically he affiliates with the Republican party.
EAST END LIVERY,
FEED AND SALE STABLES, of Elliott, Iowa; M. Lindsay, proprietor. This
is the popular and leading livery institution of the place, where the
proprietor keeps a sufficient supply of driving horses, single and double
carriages, etc., and indeed everything that is needed for good turnouts.
Mr. Lindsay came from Kansas and started in business here in 1889, buying
out Joseph Humphries, who had had the place for a year. The barn, which
is a good one and located on Main street near the hotel and depot, and
convenient to all the business houses, was built by
He was born in Mercer county, Pennsylvania, April 1, 1846, a son of Henry and Sarah (Hazen) Lindsay, both natives of that State, who emigrated to Iowa when our subject was a babe, settling in Jackson county. When he became a young man he visited Erie county, Pennsylvania, and resided two years at Edinboro. Coming to Jackson county, he lived there until 1871, when he moved to Kansas, settling in Ottawa county, as a pioneer, where he took a homestead. After improving two or three farms there until 1888 he came and took his present situation.
He was married at Minneapolis, Kansas, in 1878, to Miss Elizabeth Little, who had been born and brought up in Ottawa county, Kansas, the daughter of Hugh R. Little, one of the first settlers of that county. They have had five children, three of whom are now living: Hugh Ben, Chester Milo and Archie J. Mr. Lindsay is one of the reliable and popular men of Elliott, a Republican, a member of the Masonic order, Lodge No. 493, and of the Christian Church.
Andrew J. Linn, one of the early citizens and business men of Nodaway, has been a resident of the township since 1865. He was born in Washington, Washington county, Pennsylvania, June 8, 1828, the son of Colonel Moses Linn, an officer in the war of 1812-14, and Nancy (Spears) Linn, a relative of President Buchanan. The parents were Pennsylvanians by birth, and lived there until death. Andrew J. was reared in his native State to the occupation of farming. He went to Ohio in 1852, and in 1853 was married to Miss Harriet Merrin, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of Richard and Elizabeth Merrin. In 1855 he returned to Pennsylvania; in 1866 went to Morris, Illinois, and in 1874 came to Iowa and located in Nodaway, where he engaged in hotel-keeping and farming. He discontinued the former occupation after one year, and devoted himself exclusively to farming. From 1882 to 1886 he was engaged quite extensively in business, including hotel-keeping, grain and stock buying and general merchandising. In 1886 he practically retired from business, and was succeeded by his sons, Alexander S. and Franklin M.
Mr. and Mrs. Linn
have six children: A. S., Stephen A. Douglas, Franklin, Andrew J., Richard
M. and William T. Mrs. Linn's parents were natives of New Jersey, but
removed to Knox county, Ohio, before the birth of Mrs. Linn, who was
born in that county. The father died in Cass county, Iowa, near Atlantic,
December 13, 1885. The mother is still living with her son near Atlantic.
Mr. Linn has been Justice of the Peace for many years, and is also Notary
Public, and the duties of these offices, together with hotel-keeping,
constitute his principal occupation at present. His son, Andrew J.,
is engaged in the occupation of teaching. Mr. Linn is one of the representative
citizens of Adams county, a gentleman of much more than average ability,
and well informed on the general issues of the day; kind and generous
to a fault. In his Christian faith a Presbyterian; in politics a Democrat.
He enlisted and was Lieutenant in Company H, Eighteenth Pennsylvania
State Volunteers, under the call of the Government in 1863, for 300,000
men, and was posted at Hagerstown, Maryland, at the time of the Antietem
battle, but was never called into actual service except as an aid in
relieving the wounded and suffering after that bloody engagement. As
the ninety days' men were released soon after, he returned home and
was engaged in recruiting troops, with headquarters at New Brighton,
Pennsylvania. Mr. Linn enjoys a proud ancestral war record, dating back
to Revolutionary times; came of educated and cultured parentage, and
was himself a student at Jefferson College prior to its consolidation
with Washington school after the late war; is a deep and logical thinker,
a ready and forcible writer, and well entitled to the honor of being
called one of dams county's most useful, enterprising and progressive
A. Lovejoy, county Recorder of Deeds, was born in Columbia county, New York,
March 26, 1819. His parents, Ira and Fanny (Simons) Lovejoy, were natives
respectively of New York and Connecticut, and finally moved to Ohio, where the
father died; the mother died in Brooklyn, New York, at the age of eighty-four
Lovejoy, the subject of this notice, was the fourth child in the above family,
and was brought up on a farm, as his father was a farmer all his life. He began
life for himself at the early age of eleven years, in the pursuit of
agriculture. When still a youth, however, he began clerking in the city of New
York, and continued there fifteen years. The great civil war then breaking out,
he three times offered his services as a soldier before he was accepted, and he
was then admitted into Company C, One Hundred and Seventy-Sixth Ohio Volunteer
Infantry, as First Lieutenant. In Nashville he was Assistant Chief Patrol, doing
provost duty. He has in his possession letters like the following.
Port of Nashville, Tenn.
Lovejoy, Dear Sir: - Allow me to express to you my thanks for your diligence,
promptness and personal kindness during the period of your services as Assistant
Chief Patrol of this city. I have had nine officers in the same position since I
have acted as Provost-Marshal of this post, and I take great pleasure in
assuring you that the duty has never been done with more efficiency or
popularity than during your term. I again express my gratitude to you for your
able assistance in the work of my office, and also my regret that your term of
office has expired. I am yours very truly,
Lovejoy had many exciting experiences during his service in the war, but his
record as Provost-Marshall is unexcelled. June 18, 1865, he was honorably
discharged, when he had a Captain's commission.
the war he was at Fayette, Iowa, for a time, and then in Illinois, meanwhile
studying theology, and finally, in 1871, he located at Corning, as pastor of the
Methodist Episcopal Church. He continued as a minister of the gospel until 1880,
when he became bookkeeper in the Bank of Corning. In the fall of 1888 he was
elected county Recorder of Deeds; was re-elected in the autumn of 1890, by a
majority four times as large as the first, and is now serving in that capacity
with satisfaction to the public.
Ole T. Lovig, who resides on a farm in section 31, Lincoln township, Adams county, Iowa, was born in Tellemarken, Norway, April 5, 1849. His parents were Tarje and Joraand Lovig, natives of Norway. They lived and died in that country, the father passing away in 1874, at the age of sixty years, and the mother at the age of fifty. They had a family of nine children, Ole T. being the fifth born.
Mr. Lovig emigrated to Wisconsin in 1871, coming via Christiania, Hull, Liverpool and New York. The first summer after his arrival in that State he worked on a farm, and the following winter attended a public school. In the spring of 1872 he came to Adams county, Iowa, and bought 160 acres of wild land. A part of this he sold and afterward bought more, now owning 140 acres of Adams county's richest soil. His place is well improved with good buildings, etc., and all necessary conveniences for carrying on farming successfully. His residence is a quarter of a mile west of Strand, is nicely located on an elevation, commanding a magnificent view of beautiful and fertile country. He keeps from thirty to sixty head of cattle, from eighty to 120 hogs and about a half dozen horses. He is one of the most successful farmers of this part of the county.
In 1875 Mr. Lovig revisited the home of his childhood, and when he returned a year later brought with him to this country five persons from his old neighborhood.
In July, 1876, he was married to Gro Olsdatter Bergland, a native of Norway, and in 1877 he built the house where he now resides. Their union has been blessed with six children, viz.: Joraand, who died at the age of one year; Thomas, Anna, Oscar, Judith and Marie. Mr. and Mrs. Lovig are members of the Norvigen Lutheran Church. Politically he is an ardent Republican.
Jacob F. Lutz, baker, confectioner and restaurateur, Corning, was born in Crawford county, Ohio, in 1847, the son of Jacob and Mary (Hoss) Lutz, natives of Weidenburg, Germany. Coming to America in 1802, the father was a resident of this country under every Presidential administration from the second to Pierce's, his death occurring in 1851. Only six months afterward his wife followed him to the other world. They were Lutherans.
The subject of this sketch was reared in his native county, and made good use of the meager educational opportunities he enjoyed. At the age of sixteen years he began to learn the trade of baker, at Bucyrus, the county seat of his native county, and completed his three years' apprenticeship. In 1875 he came to Corning and immediately opened out in his trade, adding first the confectionery business and afterward a restaurant department. With a brief interval spent in Dakota, he has ever since been steadily engaged in his calling here, with success to himself and satisfaction to his patrons, who comprise a legion of the best people of Adams county. He is a prominent and enthusiastic Odd Fellow, having filled in succession all the positions in that lodge, and he is also a member of the Encampment.
In his political principles he is a Republican, and both himself and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was married February 16, 1873, to Louisa J. Butts, a native of Ohio, and of their four children three are living.
C. W. Lyon, a progressive farmer of section 27, Nodaway township (post-office Nodaway), was born in Washington county, Iowa, December 27, 1845, - a year before Iowa became a State. His father, Asher M. Lyon, a native of Ohio, was one of the earliest pioneers of this State, settling in that county in 1840. He married Martha Watson, a native of Pennsylvania, who died when C. W. was nine years old.
Mr. Lyon was reared to farm life in his native county, receiving meanwhile the usual log schoolhouse education. In 1863 he enlisted in Company D, Ninth Iowa Cavalry, commanded by Colonel Trumbull, and served until March, 1866. His regiment was stationed most of the time in Arkansas, keeping the bushwhackers and guerrillas in subjection. Mr. Lyon was honorably discharged at Little Rock, Arkansas. His father was also a soldier in the same war, a member of the Thirty-seventh, Iowa, the "Graybeard" regiment. He died in 1867.
In 1869, Mr. Lyon,
whose name heads this sketch, moved to Ralls county, Missouri, lived
there four years, and then came to Adams county, and bought forty acres
of land, partly improved. It was known as the old McKay farm. Two or
three years afterward he purchased 160 acres from the railroad company
and located upon it. He prospered and purchased still more, until he
now has 250 acres of Adams county's richest land, and the "Lyon
farm" is now known to be one of the best improved in the neighborhood.
He has a fine modern residence, 14 x 20 feet, with an L of the same
dimensions, and a 14 x 16 addition, a story and a half in height. The
yards and lawn, ornamental trees, orchard, barn (44 x 50 feet) and all
out-buildings are conveniently arranged and in good order. Mr. Lyon
is an intelligent citizen and a good neighbor.