Biographical History of Montgomery and Adams Counties, Iowa.
Unless otherwise noted, the following biographies were submitted by Dick Barton.
Jackson is a native of Delaware county, Ohio, born May 6, 1844. His father,
Leonard M. Jackson, was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, of Scotch- Irish
extraction; his mother, nee Clarissa Clark, was a native of the Green Mountain
State. His parents were married in Delaware county, Ohio, and the family lived
in that State until 1855, when they came to Mahaska county, Iowa, and settled on
the frontier. The father died at the age of seventy-nine years. He was a
shoemaker and followed that trade most of his life. In politics he was first a
Whig, and later a Republican; in religion a Protestant. The mother died in
Delaware county, Ohio, in 1854, leaving five sons and one daughter. The subject
of our sketch was the third born in the family, and he was eleven years old when
his father moved to Mahaska county, Iowa. There he grew to manhood on a farm and
received his education in the public schools.
the late war Mr. Jackson was one of the first to go out in defense of his
country. He enlisted in November, 1861, in Company C, Fifteenth Iowa Infantry,
and served until August, 1865. He participated in the battles of Pittsburg
Landing, Corinth, Vicksburg, Black River, and was with General Sherman on his
memorable march from Atlanta to the sea. He was at the grand review at
Washington, after which he returned west and received an honorable discharge at
Davenport, Iowa. Then going to his home in Mahaska county, he remained there
until he came to Adams county and bought his present farm, eighty acres, located
on section 14, Carl township. His farm is well improved and cultivated, and its
general appearance shows the owner to be a man of enterprise.
the age of twenty-three Mr. Jackson was married in Mahaska county, Iowa, to Miss
Marie Hoff, a native of Pennsylvania, and a daughter of Samuel Hoff, of that
State. He and his wife have eight children: Clarissa, Leonard, William, Emmory,
Emma, Huldah, Charles and Ray. Clarissa is the wife of James Bohannan.
Jackson cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln, and has ever since affiliated
with the Republican party. He is a man in the prime of life, frank and cordial,
and has the good will of all who know him.
E. Jewett was born in Olney, Maine, December 23, 1820. Her father's name
was Nathan Plummer, born in northern Maine. Her mother's name was Nancy Plummer
and she was born in Wiscasset, Maine. Mrs. Jewett was the only child of her
was married to John Jewett December 29, 1840. John Jewett was born in
Whitefield, Maine, April 29, 1811, and died April 13, 1886. They had five
children born to them, two boys and three girls, four of whom are living: Clara
A., Sarah A. who married T. M. Ball, now residing in Colony township; D. B.
Jewett married Horace H. Whipple, now in Colorado; Oliver P. Jewett, married
Emma Wheeler, of Canada, now residing in this township; Clara A. Jewett married
Albert Delany, now living in Nevinville. John Jewett was a strong Republican in
Jewett has always been a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
and Mrs. Jewett removed from Maine to Adams county, Iowa, where they arrived May
10, 1858, and settled at Nevinville, where they lived until the death of Mr.
Jewett, and where Mrs. Jewett still resides. Mr. Jewett owned in this township
previous to his death, 270 acres of land. Mrs. Jewett retained thirty seven
acres of the home farm, the same on which she resides. The dwelling, which is a
large and handsome one, is situated at the edge of the town, surrounded by a
beautiful grove of evergreen and deciduous trees; the grove embraces thirteen
acres; there are five acres of orchard and an abundant supply of small fruit.
Flowers and flowering shrubs are found on every side; the house is furnished in
a style that indicates that it is the home of wealth, culture and refinement. A
good barn, commodious cribs, sheds and outhouses complete the surroundings. Mrs.
Jewett has lived in Adams county long enough to see small trees grow to large
dimensions, from three to four feet in diameter, to see the wild deer and wilder
Indian give way before the advance of civilization, and now at more than seventy
years of age is still quite hale, enjoying the full use of body and mind. She
and her husband were representative people of this township, and lent their aid
to every enterprise that tended to better the condition of their fellow men, and
have enjoyed the respect and confidence of all who knew them. All the family
belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Jewett held several township offices and was Treasurer for many years. He
chopped the first log for a cabin in Colony township.
a prominent citizen of Washington township, Adams county, Iowa, was born in
Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, February 16, 1842, son of John and Mary Johnson,
both natives of Ireland. The father came alone from the Emerald Isle at the age
of eighteen, and settled in Pennsylvania. In 1847 he moved to Butler county,
Ohio, where, as in Pennsylvania, he worked by the day and the job, chopping,
ditching, etc. He removed from the latter place to Bartholomew county, Indiana,
in 1856; bought a team, rented land and began farming for himself. In 1866 he
moved to Iowa and settled in Adams county, living on a rented farm here until
1870. That year he moved to Cass county, where he still resides. He is now about
eighty years of age, and is highly respected by all who know him. His wife came
from Ireland with her parents when she was four years old. She and Mr. Johnson
were married in Pennsylvania. Her death occurred at the age of fifty-seven
years. The subject of our sketch was the third born of their thirteen children.
19, 1862, Mr. Johnson enlisted as a private and a recruit in Company D, Seventh
Indiana Volunteer Infantry. His first battle was the second Bull Run fight. He
was in the army of the Potomac, and served two years with the Seventh Indiana.
Their time expiring, the recruits and the veterans of the Seventh Indiana were
consolidated with the recruits and veterans of the Fourteenth, Nineteenth and
Twentieth Indiana regiments, and was afterward called the Twentieth Indiana
Veteran Volunteers. Mr. Johnson was a sergeant of the regiment when mustered
out, his discharge being dated June 8, 1865. At the battle of Antietam he was
struck once, and at the Wilderness was hit on the knee with a spent ball, these
two being the only times he was hurt, and then not seriously. While in the
service he contracted chronic diarrhea, and from this disorder has never
the war he worked by the month as an employe until 1868, when he engaged in
farming on his own account in Adams county. He had bought ninety acres of land
in Washington township. This he sold in 1870, went to Tipton county, Indiana,
bought eighty acres of land, and remained there engaged in agricultural pursuits
until 1878. In 1880 he came a second time to Adams county, Iowa, and the
following year purchased the farm on which he now resides. It is located in
section 12 and consists of 175 acres, 135 acres of which are improved and under
a good state of cultivation. His residence is located on the section road, a
mile and three-quarters from Mount Etna.
1, 1867, he was united in marriage with Miss Catherine Harader, daughter of
Christian and Mary A. Harader, of Adams county. Mrs. Johnson was born in
Pennsylvania, and came to Iowa with her parents in 1856. Her father is still
living in Kansas, and is now sixty-five years of age. Her mother died in 1867,
at the age of forty. Her father is a Dunker minister, well known throughout the
State. He had seven children by his first marriage and two by the second, Mrs.
Johnson being the third born in the first family. She has been a consistent
member of the Dunker church for many years.
and Mrs. Johnson have twelve children, namely: Martha, wife of Samuel Hinton;
Martin, Rosella, John C., Earnest, David Waldo, Daniel, Roscoe, Bertha, Lulu
and, Anda L. Mr. and Mrs. Hinton have two children: Goldie and John.
Johnson is a member of the G. A. R., the Farmers' Alliance and the Industrial
Union, being treasurer of the last organization. Politically he is a Democrat.
G. Johnston, dealer in agricultural implements, etc., at Corning, was born in
Ohio, in 1824, a son of John and Margaret (Carnes) Johnston, the former a native
of Ireland and the latter of Pennsylvania. He was reared on a farm and received
only what education the pioneer days afforded. He began farming in Ohio, but in
1866 he went to New York City, where he was a wholesale merchant for
twenty-three years. In 1878 he came to Adams county, Iowa, and engaged in
farming in Prescott township. In March, 1879, he bought the implement stock of
Charles Morse, and afterward added stoves and tinware. He keeps a complete line
of farming implements, also wagons and buggies. His goods are exactly as
represented, and his trade is constantly growing. In his political principles he
is a Jeffersonian Democrat. At his advanced age he is one of the most genial and
lively men of the community.
1848 he married Miss Sarah Helen Johnston, a native of Ohio, and of their ten
children nine are living. Mrs. Johnston is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
Jones, one of the venerable citizens of Montgomery county and a carpenter and
joiner of Villisca, was born in Greene county, New York, July 14, 1821. His
parents were Lora and Nancy (Smith) Jones, and both died in New York State, the
former in 1867, at the age of sixty-seven years, and the latter in 1870, aged
seventy-eight. Of their thirteen children, twelve grew to maturity and seven are
still living, Anthony being the fourth born and the oldest now living. He was
reared in the Empire State. At the age of fifteen he commenced to learn the
trade of carpenter and joiner. That trade he has followed through life, although
at various times he has been engaged at farming and other work.
May, 1846, Mr. Jones enlisted in Company I, First Regiment of New York
Volunteers, for three years or during the war. The regiment went from Bath to
Governor's Island, New York, and there our subject, and indeed one-third of the
company, were sick, caused by bad water. By permission from his colonel, he went
to the house of a friend and while there and before he had recovered, the vessel
with his regiment on board left New York harbor for the seat of war. The war
closed, however, before they were one-half way to Mexico.
home, Mr. Jones worked at his trade there until the fall of 1862, when he moved
to Clinton county, Michigan, and located near Lansing. He worked in and near
Lansing till the spring of 1864; moved to Bureau county, Illinois; in 1875 came
to Iowa and settled in Taylor county; and since 1883 has been a resident of
Villisca. While in Taylor county he served two years as Justice of the Peace. As
a workman he is skillful with tools, having few superiors in his trade. He is a
remarkably temperate man; never drinks or uses tobacco and never played cards.
was married, August 8, 1854, to Miss Elma F. Aldrich, daughter of Warner and
Phidelia (Eddy) Aldrich. Six children have been born to them: Frank; Addie, wife
of W. B. Woods; Charles; Warner, deceased; Elizabeth, now Mrs. Stephen Matson;
and Delia B. The whole family are church members. In politics Mr. Jones is a
L. Jones, a prominent business man of Carbon, was the second child born in
Quincy, then the county seat of Adams county, Iowa, his birth having occurred
June 22, 1855. His father, John W. Jones, a pioneer of this county, located here
in 1854, and is still a resident of Adams county.
W. Jones was born in Hampshire county, Virginia, February 9, 1822, son of
Jephthah Jones, born in Virginia, son of John Jones who was a soldier in the war
of 1812. The Joneses originally came from Wales and were among the first
settlers of Baltimore, Maryland. The mother of John W. was Martha Poland, a
native of Hampshire county, Virginia, and a daughter of Samuel Poland of New
1853 the Jones family took boat at Wheeling, Virginia, for Burlington, Iowa;
thence by stage to Mount Pleasant, where the father and brother of John W. had
come the fall before. In March, 1854, John W., in company with L. V. Ritchie,
came to Adams county, and the former subsequently went to Council Bluffs and
entered land for Mr. Ritchie and himself. Jephthah Jones and his wife came to
this county in 1858. The father died here in 1865 and the mother, in 1888, the
latter at the age of eighty-six years. They had reared a family of nine
children, seven of whom are living at this writing.
W. Jones was married in Marion county, Virginia, May 18, 1843, to Jane Jonst,
daughter of Peter Jonst and Margaret his wife. She died in Virginia, in 1851, of
cholera. February 7, 1854, he wedded Mary Wolf, a sister of Judge Barnett's
wife, and by her had two children: B. L., the subject of our sketch, and Salona,
who is deceased. his second wife died in March, 1859. In May, 1862, he was
united in marriage with his present wife, Clara, daughter of William Lockwood, a
pioneer of Adams county. This union is blessed with five children, namely:
Clara, Lillian, Frank Eathel, Bessie and John Cleveland. John W. Jones has
filled many local offices of trust; was county Assessor in 1858, and for a
number of years served as Justice of the Peace.
L. Jones received his education in the common schools of Polk and Adams
counties, completing his studies at the Baptist University at Des Moines. He
then began teaching, in which profession he was engaged for some time. In 1878
he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits in Lincoln township, and in
1883 came to Carbon and engaged in his present business.
was married, in 1876, to Ella J. Hall, who was born in Pennsylvania and reared
in Iowa, daughter of William and Mary Hall. They have two children: Willie P.
and B. L., Jr. Their second born, Ruby May, died at the age of two years.
Mr. Jones is a Democrat and is identified with the best elements of his party;
he is a member of the Democratic Central Committee. During President Cleveland's
administration he was postmaster of Carbon. He is a notary public and does all
kinds of legal business; he has been active in educational matters, and is now
serving as a member of the school board. In short, every good cause calculated
to promote the best interests of the town and county receives from him a hearty
a farmer by occupation and a resident of Jasper township, will be given the
following space in this history of Adams county, Iowa. He is a native of Wales,
born in Corriganshire, in 1849, and is the only living son of Reese D. and Mary
(Jones) Jones. The father followed agricultural pursuits in the old country; in
1863 he emigrated to the United States, and located in Sauk county, Wisconsin,
where he rented a farm on which he resided until 1870; in that year he came to
Adams county and purchased eighty acres of land in Jasper township which was in
a wild, uncultivated condition; he improved this, placed it under cultivation,
and made a comfortable home where he passed the last days of his life. He and
his wife had four children, two of whom survive: Daniel, the subject of this
notice, and Elizabeth, the wife of John Thomas; Janie died in Wales at the age
of six years, and David died in Iowa at the age of twenty-one years. The father
of these children died February 2, 1885, at the age of seventy-six years, and
the mother passed away April 13, 1884, aged sixty-six years; both were
consistent members of the Episcopal Church.
Jones resided with his father until his death, at which time he took charge of
the home farm.
was married, November 6, 1884, to Miss Maggie C. Douglas, a native of Prince
Edward's Island, and a daughter of Matthew and Christina (Campbell) Douglas,
natives of England and Scotland respectively. When Mrs. Jones was a child of
four years her parents removed to the Province of Ontario, and settled in the
town of Cayuga, Haldinand county, where she grew to womanhood. Mr. and Mrs.
Jones are the parents of two children: Henry Reese and Walter Earl. They are
honored members of the Episcopal Church. Politically our subject is identified
with the Republican party.
Jones is one of the early settlers of Carl township, a highly respected and
esteemed citizen and an ex soldier of the late war. He came to Adams county,
Iowa, in 1875, and has since made this place his home.
Jones is a native of Champaign county, Ohio, born March 28, 1837, son of john
and Mary (Laferty) Jones. Grandfather Jones was of Welsh extraction, and was
among the early pioneers of Champaign county. The parents of our subject, both
natives of Champaign county, passed their lives there and die in the same
neighborhood where they were born. The father died July 15, 1876, at the age of
seventy-one years; the mother died September 18, 1884, at the age of seventy-six
years and eight months. They reared a family of seven children. The father was a
farmer by occupation; in politics a Whig and later a Republican; in religion a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, as was also his wife, and he was a
class-leader of the church a great many years.
subject of our sketch grew up on his father's farm and received his education in
the public schools of his native county. During the war of the Rebellion he
enlisted, May 3, 1864, in Company G, One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Ohio
Infantry, volunteers, and served four months. His regiment was stationed at
Cumberland, Maryland, and at Bermuda Hundred, on the James river. He was
honorably discharged in August, 1864, at Columbus, Ohio. Returning to his home,
he engaged in farming. In 1869 he moved to Clinton, De Witt county, Illinois,
and subsequently to Douglas county, that State, locating near Tuscola. In 1875
he came to Iowa and settled on his present farm, 120 acres, section 25, then all
wild land. As a result of Mr. Jones' well directed efforts his farm has been
brought up to a high standard of development, and now ranks favorably with the
best farms in this vicinity. His first home here, a box house, 16 x 16 feet,
with a room in the loft, served its purpose then, but has been replaced by a
modern cottage of seven rooms, tastefully furnished and complete in all its
requirements. A beautiful lawn, dotted over with ornamental shrubs and trees
surrounds the house. Everything necessary for the successful carrying on of
farming operations is found here - good barn and outbuildings, fine pond, stock
scales, etc. His farm is well stocked, he being especially interested in a high
grade of cattle.
Jones was married in De Witt county, Illinois, February 29, 1860, to Miss Sarah
E. Hendricks, a native of Vermont. She was four years old when her parents moved
to Ohio, where she grew up and received her education. Her father and mother,
Moses and Lucy (Hall) Hendricks, both died in Clinton, De Witt county, Illinois.
Mr. and Mrs. Jones have four children: John H., who married Miss Mary E.
Wallace, October 6, 1886, and lives in Carl township, this county; Mary
Elizabeth, Charles W. and William C. Their second child Samuel A., born
September 17, 1862, was accidentally killed August 30, 1867, aged five years.
Jones is a Republican, and he and his wife and daughter are members of the
Methodist Episcopal Church.