Biographical History of Montgomery and Adams Counties, Iowa - 1892 - I

Montgomery County  >> 1892 Index
Adams County

Biographical History of Montgomery and Adams Counties, Iowa. 
Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1892.

I


Unless otherwise noted, the following biographies were submitted by Dick Barton.

George W. Iden, a farmer of Prescott, Iowa, was born July 20, 1846, in Owen county, Indiana, the son of Samuel and Tabitha Iden, both natives of Ohio. They were the parents of six children, five of whom survive. George received his early education in the common schools of Indiana, and also in the academy at Bourbon, Marshall county. At the age of twenty one years he began teaching, his first school being in Tippecanoe township, that county, and since then he has been engaged in the some vocation in Indiana and Iowa. He arrived in this State March 13, 1875, locating first in Prescott township, Adams county, where he bought a tract of eighty acres of land on section 9, threefourths of a mile north of Prescott, which he subsequently sold. He now owns an eightyacre farm in Prescott township, but lives in the village.

Politically Mr. Iden affiliates with the Republican party.

He was married August 20, 1874, to Miss Eva Burch, who was born in Whitley county, Indiana, November 7, 1853, the daughter of Henry and Susan Burch, natives of Ohio. They have one child.

The ancestors of Mr. Iden were English, who emigrated to America in 1682, coming to this country in the same vessel that brought William Penn. The Idens and the Browns being related by marriage, the Browns remained in Penn colony, while the Idens removed to Loudoun county, Virginia, where many of the family still remain. The great-grandfather of George Iden served as an officer in the American Revolution, losing his life in the service of his country. He also saw service with Daniel Boone. His grandparents were married in 1812, and moved to Ohio in February, 1814, crossing the Ohio river on the ice, on the same day that the battle of New Orleans was being fought. They settled where Hanover now stands, by building a log cabin in the then wilderness. Ten years afterward they removed a few miles from their first location, where they continued to reside until their death, at a rather advanced age: the wife outliving her husband, dying at the age of ninety-three years.

B. F. Ivey, proprietor of the Ivey store at Iveyville, is a dealer in general [merchandise], and is recognized as one of the leading merchants of the county. Buying his goods in large amounts, he is able to sell at very low prices. He started in business here in 1882, in a small way, and by strict economy and faithfulness to his customers his trade has gradually grown to large proportions, amounting now to about $12,000 annually. The building is a good two-story structure, 20 x 48 feet, with eighteen-foot posts. The wareroom is 20 x 40 feet, also with eighteen-foot posts, and two stories high. The upper story is a public hall. His dwelling is a fine two-story building in modern style and adjoining his store. Mr. Ivey is a thorough business man, deserving all he has made, both in money and in reputation.

He was born in Grant county, Wisconsin, April 15, 1856, the son of James Ivey, a native of Cornwall, England, who was one of the earliest pioneers of that part of Wisconsin, when lead-mining was in its infancy. Mr. Ivey's mother, whose maiden name was Mary Eudy, was also born in Cornwall. Mr. Ivey was reared to farm life, and completed his school days at the Normal at Plattville, Wisconsin. He resided in Grant county, that State, until July, 1881, when he came to Adams county. Here at Iveyville he has served as postmaster since 1884. Mail is received here daily from the stage between Corning and Clarinda. Mr. Ivey is a Republican, and a member of Instruction Lodge, No. 275, F. & A. M., at Corning.

He was married in December, 1882, to Miss Anna M. Chappell, a native of Grant county, Wisconsin, and a daughter of Ed. Chappell, deceased, an early settler of that county and an honorable citizen of Jasper township, this county, where he died, in November, 1887. His widow still resides at Iveyville. Mr. Ivey and wife have four children - Jessie Julia, Glenn, Gertie and Dale.