Biographical History of Montgomery and Adams Counties, Iowa.
Unless otherwise noted, the following biographies were submitted by Dick Barton.
J. Hall, a well-known farmer and stock-raiser of Lincoln township, Adams county,
Iowa, dates his birth in Shelby county, Illinois, June 17, 1863. His
grandfather, Samuel Hall, Jr., a native of North Carolina, came from the South
to Illinois about 1822 and settled in Shelby county, where he owned 160 acres of
land. He and his wife, who before her marriage was Nancy Steele, had nine
children, three of whom are still living. Samuel Hall, their son and the father
of our subject, was born in Illinois, January 11, 1824. He married Martha
Perryman, a native of Tennessee, born May 31, 1826. Three of their nine children
died in infancy. Those living are as follows: Joseph, who married Delia Huffer,
resides in Shelby county, Illinois; Sarah is the wife of Jacob Wonus; Albert,
who wedded Julia Moore, is dead; Anna, wife of Thomas Potts, lives in Atlantic;
Wilburn, who was for many years a successful teacher and who married Allie
Smith, also a teacher, is now traveling in Kansas; and Thomas J., whose name
heads this biography. The parents of this family are still living and are
honored and respected residents of Adams county, Iowa. They moved from Illinois
to this State in October, 1878, and settled on the farm where they now reside.
For two years they rented and then bought the property, 120 acres. It is nicely
improved and well adapted for general farming and stock-raising.
J. Hall, while he is engaged in agricultural pursuits, gives especial attention
to stock-raising. He has twenty-six jacks and jennies, the largest and best lot
of this kind of stock in the State. He also raises cattle and hogs.
August, 1879, Mr. Hall was united in marriage with Miss Lulu Roberts, daughter
of John and Frances Roberts, of Cass county, Iowa. Her parents have four
children - Lolo, wife of Charles Stein of Cass county, and Mrs. Hall, Frank and
Ralph. Mr. and Mrs. Roberts and their two daughters have been successful
teachers in this State. Two children, Albert and Jessie, have been born to Mr.
and Mrs. Hall.
our subject affiliates with the Republican party, and is now serving as
constable of Lincoln township. He is progressive in his views and is found well
to the front in all enterprises that tend to advance the good of the community.
Hall is a member of the United Brethren church, and completed a college course
at Toledo, Iowa.
Hall has made extensive travels all over the West; was for two years engaged in
real-estate business, in Monrovia, California. This, like all his pursuits,
proved very successful. He had full charge of the Willshire tract of land, and
was assistant postmaster. He has now formed a partnership with a well-known
stock-raiser, Milton Rowdybush, of Tower Hill, Illinois. This firm will carry on
the largest business of the kind in the State.
W. Harlow, dealer in general merchandise, dry-goods, clothing, boots and shoes,
groceries, etc., has been engaged in business in Carl, Adams county, iowa, since
October, 1889. The year after he established his business here he purchased the
store of his competitor, E. Rice, and consolidated the stocks. Mr. Harlow is a
man of fine business ability, and is one of the most successful merchants in the
county. Located in the center of a rich agricultural district, he now does a
business that amounts to $16,000 per annum, and has a trade that is constantly
Harlow was born in Quincy, Adams county, Iowa, when that hamlet was the county
seat of Adams county, and before the steam whistle had been heard in the vales
of Western iowa, his birth occurring September 1, 1865. His parents, B. W. and
Lydia (Kelly) Harlow,came to this county in 1856, and were among the early
settlers of Quincy. The father was engaged in business there for a time. He
subsequently went to Corning, where he did a hardware business. From there he
moved to Spivey, Kingman county, Kansas. C. W. Harlow was reared inCorning, and
received a good education. At the age of eighteen he engaged in business. In
1885 he went to Kansas, where he was in business fkour years. Returning to Adams
county, he established himself in his present location. He is the Nasby of the
Cross Roads. In November, 1890, he was appointed postmaster of Carl, and has
proved himself an efficient and popular officer.
Mt. Etna, Iowa, on the 4th day of September, 1887, Mr. Harlow was united in
marriage with Miss Edna Davis, an estimable young lady, and the daughter of
Thomas H. Davis, one of the pioneers of Adams county, prominent mention of whom
will be found on another page of this work. They have two daughters, Leah and
is a member of Mount Etna Lodge, No. 382, I. O. O. F., and of the Methodist
Episcopal Church. Politically he is a Republican.
Hedinger, an intelligent and enterprising farmer, an old soldier and popular
citizen residing on section 23, Nodaway township, was born in the canton of
Berne, Switzerland, November 27, 1843, a son of R. and Maria (Balher) Hedinger,
both natives also of that canton, who in 1854 emigrated to America, with eight
children, settling in Monroe county, Ohio, and lived there until their death.
Fred was therefore brought up a farmer, receiving a good education.
President Lincoln's first call for 300,000 volunteers to suppress the great
insurrection, Mr. Hedinger, in August, 1862, enlisted for his adopted country,
in Company E, One-hundred and Sixteenth Ohio Infantry, which was attached to the
army of Virginia, and participated in the battles of Moorefield, Winchester,
Jackson, Piedmont, Lynchburg and Snicker's Gap. In December, 1864, it was
transferred to the army of the James, and participated in the battles of
Hatcher's Run, Fort Gregg and Rice's Station, and was at Appomattox Courthouse
at the final surrender. After his discharge, Mr. Hedinger returned to Monroe
served an apprenticeship at the carpenter's trade, and in 1868 came to Iowa,
settling in Jasper township, Adams county, where he lived three and a half
years. In 1872-73, his health being poor, he was in the East. During the latter
year he worked at his trade in Wheeling, West Virginia, and then returned to
Ohio. In 1876 he came to Council Bluffs; later he sold out his interests there,
purchased land in Adams county and continued at his trade for six years. In 1882
he settled upon his farm, which now contains 120 acres of land, well supplied
with a good residence, barn, outbuildings, etc. In 1888 he attended the Twenty-
second National G. A. R. Encampment and Exposition at Columbus, Ohio; he also
visited his former home and relatives and good old friends in Monroe county,
was married April 6, 1882, in this county (Adams), to Miss Madelia J. Millard, a
refined and educated lady, brought up at Clinton, Iowa, from the year 1849. Her
father David W. Millard, was born in Montgomery county, New York, and married
Amarett D. Jenkins, who was a successful teacher before her marriage. Mr.
Millard was killed at Clinton, Iowa, by the great cyclone of 1860, which also
severely injured his wife and family.
Hedinger is an independent Republican, a member of Meyerhoff Post, G. A. R., of
Nodaway, and both himself and wife belong to the Baptist Church.
R. Holbrook, of section 2, Quincy township, arriving here as early as 1853, was
the first merchant in the county, when there were in the county but nine voters.
was born in Cheshire county, New Hampshire, November 30, 1831, the son of Luther
and Abigail (Britton) Holbrook. His father was born at Boston, a son of William
Holbrook, of an old New England family; the mother was also a native of New
Hampshire. The subject of this sketch was fourteen years old when the family
moved to Perry county, Ohio; in 1851 they moved to Lucas county, Iowa, where
they lived about thirty years; then they removed to Hamilton county, this State,
and resided near Webster city until death, - the father dying at the age of
eighty- three years and the mother when eighty years old. The father was a
dairyman the most of his life.
J. R. Holbrook was brought up in the business of the dairy farm until he was
eighteen years of age, when he learned the trade of cabinet and chair-maker,
which he followed some four years; and in 1853 he settled at Quincy, then the
county seat of Adams county. Here he erected the first house built in town, put
in a stock of merchandise, which he had purchased at Savanna, Missouri, 100
miles away. A year afterward he sold out and purchased 200 acres of land on
section 16, which he improved and occupied for ten years. Then he bought on
sections 14 and 11, 200 acres which he began to improve. In 1873 he purchased
where he now lives, in Pleasant valley, on one of the best farms in Adams
county, containing 520 acres of bottom, hillside and table-land, - all rich and
productive, and within the blue-grass tract. The place is stocked with 100 head
of high-grade cattle, besides large numbers of horses and hogs. His barn, 62 x
100 feet, is one of the best in the country. Besides, there is a horse barn, 24
x 32 and three stories high. A plain, old-style house stands on a beautiful
plateau of land, which is prettily ornamented with trees, etc., but Mr.
Holbrook's residence is a fine, modern structure, with the latest improvements.
Pleasant Valley is, indeed, a beautiful place.
Holbrook was Justice of the Peace eight years, was the first Prosecuting
Attorney of Adams county, and served one term as county Supervisor. He is a good
business man, well informed and of advanced, progressive views. In political
matters he voted the Republican ticket until 1880, when his views underwent a
change; since that time he has voted independently.
was married in Lucas county, Iowa, January 18, 1852, to Miss Mary Ann Miller, a
daughter of J. M. B. Miller, who laid out the town of Quincy, and died here in
1855. Mrs. Holbrook's mother was Mary Wiant before marriage, and she died at
Quincy. Mr. Holbrook has nine children, as follows: Mrs. Nettie George, John,
Mrs. Maggie Mendenhall, Mrs. Lida Deweese, who was before her marriage a
school-teacher; Hector, Joseph, Mrs. Josephine Prather, Grant and Alfred. The
children have received a good education, enabling them to fill responsible
positions in life.
W. Houck, one of the highly respected and well-to-do citizens of Adams county,
Iowa, was born in Dearborn county, Indiana, August 19, 1844. His father was John
Houck, deceased, one of the prominent early settlers of this county, and his
mother was nee Ernestine Amdor. John W. was the second born in their family, and
was five years old when his parents moved to Marion county, Iowa. In 1852 his
father came to this county, bought a large tract of land and improved one of the
best farms in that part of the State.
1859 young Houck went with his father to Pike's Peak, returning in the fall of
1860. He was reared to farm work, and his education was obtained in the common
schools of the county. It was not until he was twenty-nine years old that he
left the parental home and settled on a farm of his own - the one on which he
still resides. Prosperity has attended his efforts, and from year to year he has
added to his landed estate until he is now one of the largest property owners in
the county. His home farm is in section 6, Quincy township, and consists of 219
acres of well-improved land. He owns sixty acres in section 1 and 520 acres in
sections 15 and 22, Douglas township. His home, a comfortable and commodious
residence, built in modern style and well furnished and finished throughout, is
beautifully located and surrounded by a variety of shade and ornamental trees,
orchard grove, etc. Substantial and commodious barn and outbuildings, stock
scales, wells and good fences and other improvements and conveniences indicate
at once the thrift and enterprise of the owner. A portion of his land in Douglas
township is bottom land, set to blue grass, and rivals the blue-grass regions of
Kentucky, the rest of his holdings in that township being upland, and well
improved, with buildings, etc. Mr. Houck has given much attention to the stock
business, and is one of the most successful and extensive stock men in the
county. The past year he sold $4,000 worth of cattle and $2,000 worth of hogs.
was married March 4, 1873, to Miss Sarah J. Falconer, a native of Ohio and a
daughter of John and Harriet (Thornborough) Falconer, both natives of Ohio. Her
father died in that State, and her mother is now a resident of Carl, Iowa. Mrs.
Houck received her education in Belmont county, Ohio. They have three children,
- Harry, Amy Daisy and Nettie E. Their youngest, Percy, did at the age of eleven
Houck is a Republican. He and his family are attendants of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, of which he is a liberal supporter. Always interested in the
promotion of educational and religious matters, adhering to the strictest
integrity in all his business dealings, ever frank and cordial in his
intercourse with his fellow-men, he is a popular and highly esteemed citizen.
Houck, deceased, was one of the prominent early settlers of Adams county, Iowa.
A biography of him will be found of interest to many, and is as follows:
Houck was born in Germany, May 17, 1820, son of John and Anna Elizabeth (Neff)
Houck. His father died when our subject was a small boy and his mother was
subsequently married to Michael Doefenbaugh. He received a good German
education. When he was seventeen years old the family came to America and
settled in Dearborn county, Indiana. There some years later he was united in
marriage with Ernestine Amdor, who was born in Germany, July 8, 1825, daughter
of Michael and Mary Sophia (Nebergall) Amdor, both natives of Germany. At the
age of twelve years she came with her parents to America, and in Dearborn
county, Indiana, was reared and educated.
1849 Mr. Houck moved to Marion county, Iowa, where he improved a farm and
resided until 1852. In that year he came with his family to Adams county and
settled on a large farm in section 6, Quincy township. The years 1859 and 1860
he spent at Pike's Peak. Returning to Adams county, he opened a store at Quincy
which he s[u]ccessfully conducted for ten years. Failing health compelled him to
retire from business, and the remaining years of his life were spent on his
farm, where he died October 20, 1880. He left a widow and eight children, six of
whom are now living, viz.: John W., Henry, Joseph, Frank, George and Mary, wife
of Frank Stewart. Five of their children are deceased: William, who was a
soldier of the late war; Bennett, Albert, Orren and Ellen Powell.
the war Mr. Houck was a Democrat, but after the organization of the Republican
party he gave his earnest support to it. He was a most worthy citizen, honored
and esteemed by all who knew him.
Houck is a native of Marion county, Iowa, born October 27, 1852, son of John
Houck, deceased, a prominent pioneer of this county, and Ernestine (Amdor)
was not yet a year old when his parents moved to Adams county. Here on the old
homestead he grew to manhood. He received his education in the old schoolhouse
that stood on the farm he now owns. At the age of seventeen he entered his
father's store in Quincy, and there received the benefit of a practical business
education. In 1874 he commenced farming on eighty acres of land. By industry and
judicious management he has been successful in his operations. He was soon
enabled to purchase other lands and is now the owner of 565 acres. His home
place, in section 1, Douglas township, consists of 390 acres and is one of the
best farms in the county. He has 160 acres in Lincoln township, section 34, and
fifteen acres in timber.
Houck has one among the best rural homes in the county. His residence was
erected in 1887, at a cost of $2,000; is 30 x 30 feet, two stories, with cellar
under the whole, and is built on a wall of solid rock. On the west are a pantry
and poarch, 8 x 24 feet. It is situated on a natural plateau and is surrounded
by a beautiful lawn, dotted over with evergreens and shrubs and flowers, and
both the interior and exterior surroundings indicate the taste and refinement of
the family. Two large barns, other outbuildings, stock scales, a beautiful grove
of twelve acres and a five-acre orchard make the farm complete in all its
appointments. The place is well watered by springs and streams and is
particularly adapted to stock purposes. Mr. Houck has given much attention to
stock-raising, and during the past twelve months sold $6,000 worth of stock.
was married January 7, 1875, to Miss Mary A. Stuart, a lady of culture and
refinement, who was born in Virginia and reared in Mercer county, Illinois. Her
father, Thomas Stuart, died in Virginia, and her mother, nee Eliza Martin, is
now Mrs. Johnson and resides in Omaha. Mr. and Mrs. Houck have six children,
Edith, Homer, Jessie, Arthur, Grace and Floyd. He is a Republican and a member
of the Methodist Episcopal church.
in brief, is a sketch of one of Douglas township's best citizens.
F. Humbert, one of the progressive farmers of Jasper township, has been a
resident of Adams [c]ounty since 1854. He was born in France, January 4, 1837,
and is a son of John and Margarett (Aubry) Humbert. At the age of thirteen years
he came with his father to America, landing in the city of New Orleans. There he
remained four years, spending a portion of the time in attending the common
schools. In 1854, as before stated, he came to Adams county, where he assisted
his father in clearing up a farm; he resided under the parental roof until he
had attained his majority. He then went to Hancock county, Illinois, but after a
year and a half he returned again to Adams county. He and his brother purchased
his father's farm, and also the live-stock; as they had little means to pay
down, they had a struggle for some time, but by hard work and good management
they met their obligations as they became due; they lived economically, and were
soon out of debt.
Humbert was united in marriage January 22, 1862, to Miss Susan Jane McMahan, a
native of Johnson county, Missouri, and a daughter of Moses and Mary (Taylor)
McMahan. The parents were formerly from Tennessee, but removed to Missouri in
1853. After his marriage our esteemed subject settled on the farm he had bought
of his father, where he resided for a period of five years. In 1867 he traded it
for a tract of eighty acres of unimproved land, the residence being a small log
cabin. This place he improved, and as his means would permit he invested in
other land, until he now owns eighty acres in section 11, eighty acres in
section 16, and forty acres in section 10, all of which is well improved and
under excellent cultivation.
and Mrs. Humbert are the parents of five children: Mary, the wife of R. J. Mahe,
of Corning; Margaret, wife of Peter Gerard, of Mercer township; Frank, a farmer
in this township; Samuel, also a farmer, and William. Mr. Humbert has served as
school director for several years, is a self-made man, and a good citizen in
every sense of the word.
Humbert (deceased) was born in St. Prancer, Canton De Mircourt, Department Des
Vorges, France, May 7, 1804. He was a farmer by occupation. In February, 1829,
he was married to Miss Margaret Aubry, by whom he has seven children. Mrs.
Humbert was born in 1807, and died November 12, 1847. On account of political
troubles in France Mr. Humbert emigrated to the United States with his family of
seven children; they landed in New Orleans, came up the Mississippi river to St.
Louis, and proceeded thence to Nauvoo, Illinois, where Mr. Humbert engaged in
agriculture for a period of four years. In 1853 he was again married to Miss
Adelaide Roland, and of this union six children were born, two of whom still
survive. In August, 1854, he removed with his family to the frontier of Iowa,
and settled in Adams county near the spot where Corning now stands; he entered a
small tract of Government land, and, with the assistance of his sons, improved
it, and afterwards sold it to two of the sons who now own and occupy it. After
selling this land Mr. Humbert returned to Hancock county, Illinois, and made two
different trips to his native land, and then returned to Iowa, where he departed
this life at the home of his son in Des Moines, November 15, 1878, at the age of
it will be seen that john Humbert was a benefactor to Adams county, in this,
that he reared sons who have become enterprising, progressive citizens; they are
among the leading farmers and stock-raisers of the county, and through their
energy the stock of horses in this county ranks second to none in the State.
H. Humbert, importer and dealer in Percheron and Suffolk horses, was born in St.
Pranche, France, Canton De Mirconst, Department Des Vorges, October 30, 1832. He
is the oldest child of John and Mary (Aubry) Humbert, an extended notice of whom
will be found on another page of this work. He was reared on a farm in his
native county, and in the year 1850, in company with his father, brothers and
sisters, emigrated to America, sailing from Havre, May 9, in the ship Orlando.
After a voyage of fifty-eight days they landed in New Orleans, and proceeded
thence to Nauvoo, Illinois, and after a residence there of four years, they came
to Adams county; they settled on a tract of wild land, which Leon H. assisted
his father to improve. He was united in marriage December 4, 1855, to
Mademoiselle Liegerot, a native of France, who had emigrated with her parents to
Adams county in 1855. After his marriage Mr. Humbert resided on his father's
farm until July, 1857, when he moved to Sonora, Hancock county, Illinois; he was
engaged in farming there for a period of eleven years, and then returned to
Adams county, purchasing a tract of 160 acres of wild, unimproved land; he at
once set about placing this under cultivation, and making a home for himself and
family; by close attention to his business, and wise management, he has
succeeded almost beyond his anticipations; he has now a landed estate of 500
acres, with many modern improvements, well stocked with high-grade cattle, hogs
1882 Mr. Humbert sent his son, Charles E., to France to purchase some pure-bred
horses; the son was then a lad of seventeen years; he made the trip in safety,
bought three horses, in which a large amount of money was invested, and returned
home, having made the initial purchase of what has since grown to be a large and
profitable business. Mr. Humbert has a large herd of full-blood horses, his
reputation as a dealer having spread throughout the State; he also does a large
business in raising cattle and hogs.
and Mrs. Humbert are the parents of six children, three of whom have died: Alice
H., aged four years, Isabelle, aged two years, and Leon, aged six months, all
died of croup within a few days of each other; Mattie is the wife of G. W.
Morris, of this township; Charles E. resides in Cloverdale, California, and
Ernest L. is at home.
Humbert is a member of Lodge No. 275, a. F. & a. M., and his wife is a
member of the Eastern Star. Politically he affiliates with the Democratic party.
P. Humbert, farmer and stock-dealer, section 3, Jasper township, is a native of
France, born August 10, 1840, and is a son of John and Margarett (Aubry) Humbert.
In 1850 he emigrated with his father's family to America, landing on August 10,
in the city of New Orleans; ten days later they were in Nauvoo, Illinois, where
our subject attended school for a short time. In 1853 he went to Keokuk, Iowa,
for the purpose of learning the barber's trade; at the end of six months,
however, he returned home, and the following year, came with his father to Adams
county; here he assisted in clearing and improving wild land, and remained under
the parental roof until the father retired from agricultural pursuits. Then in
company with his brother John he purchased eighty acres of land, and as he had
not means to pay for this he was obliged to start in life with a heavy debt
resting upon him; but, by hard work, good management, and close attention to his
business interests, he has accumulated a good property.
Humbert was united in marriage January 1, 1862, to Miss Lucy Matthews, a native
of Andrews county, Missouri, and a daughter of Littleton and Jane (Todd)
Matthews; the father was a native of Kentucky, was reared in Indiana, served
three years in the Black Hawk war, and was one of the pioneers of Andrews
county, Missouri. After his marriage Mr. Humbert resided on the old homestead
for eleven years, selling out at the end of that time, and purchasing 160 acres
of wild land on section 22; he improved this place and resided there for three
years; this he disposed of for the sum of $6,000, and the north half of section
15, also in a wild state, was bought; this he improved and owned for twelve
years, selling for $30 per acre. He then purchased his present farm which is in
the suburbs of Corning; it consists of 300 acres of well- improved land, and has
been brought to this high state of culture through the efforts of Mr. Humbert.
In connection with his farming interests he has been extensively engaged in
importing and breeding Percheron horses.
and Mrs. Humbert are the parents of six children; Charles J. died at the age of
two years; John is engaged as stenographer in Armour's packing establishment at
Kansas City, Missouri; Emma May, August Leroy, Bertha Agnes, Peter Eugene.
Humbert has been a member of the I. O. O. F. for nearly a quarter of a century;
he belongs to Nodaway lodge, No. 206, and Corning Encampment, No. 84; he has
passed all the chairs of the order. Mrs. Humbert is a member of the Daughters of
Rebekah, Lodge No. 18. In his political opinion Mr. Humbert sympathizes with the
United Labor party.
B. Hummel, a farmer of section 8, Carl township (postoffice Carl), was born in
Snyder county, Pennsylvania, in 1839, a son of Daniel Hummel, a native of Snyder
county, that State; his mother's maiden name was Susan Bastian, and she was born
in Lycoming county, that State.
subject of this sketch was left an orphan when a small child, never knew a
mother's love or a father's care, and was "kicked and cuffed about" by
a cold world. He served an apprenticeship at the blacksmith's trade, at which he
was employed until June 20, 1861, when he enlisted in the Twelfth Pennsylvania
Reserve Veteran Corps, and afterward was transferred to the Forty-first
Pennsylvania Volunteers, Third Brigade, and was assigned to the First
Pennsylvania Artillery, Battery A, after serving eighteen months in the
infant[r]y. He served three years, participating in the battles of Drainsville,
seven days before Richmond, South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Bull Run,
siege of Suffolk, etc. At one time he, with other men, had to lie in trenches
for two weeks. At another time his horse was killed under him, and still another
his ear-drum was thrust out; and from the latter injury he has not yet
recovered. He was honorably discharged at Portsmouth, Virginia.
then made his home in Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, until April 12, 1875, and
then settled upon his present farm, where he owns 360 acres - one of the best
farms in Carl township. December 28, 1885, he moved to Corning, Iowa, and worked
at his trade there, while renting his farm, until 1890, when he returned to the
farm. On this place is a good frame house, 32 x 36 feet, and a story and a half
high, with nine rooms and well furnished. The barn is 16 x 48 feet, granary 24 x
36-1/2 and one and a half stories high, sheds, feed lots, modern windmill,
grove, orchard, etc. The water is forced through 1,200 feet of pipe, to a
ninety-barrel tank near the house, whence it is distributed about the premises
through pipes. Mr. Hummel has some high-grade cattle and horses. "Fairlands"
is the appropriate name of the beautiful home he occupies, where the family are
surrounded by the comforts and luxuries of life. In his political sympathies Mr.
Hummel is a Democrat, and he is a member of Lewellen Post, G. A. R., of Corning.
He was made a Mason at Mr. Etna Lodge in 1888. He is also an Odd Fellow,
belonging to Lodge No. 206, at Corning, and he is a member of the Encampment,
Lodge No. 84, and a member of Lodge, No. 18, Daughters of Rebekah.
was married in Snyder county, Pennsylvania, November 1, 1864, to Miss Emeline
Hartman, a daughter of George and Elizabeth (Bikkhart) Hartman. Of their six
children, three are living, - Charles P., Daniel B. and Clinton C. They lost
three sons by death, - Archer, a babe; Henry a., who died by chemical poison at
the age of twenty-three; he was an artist by occupation, and resided in Corning,