Biographical History of Montgomery and Adams Counties, Iowa.
Unless otherwise noted, the following biographies were submitted by Dick Barton.
gentleman furnishes a remarkable example of what can be [accomplished] by an
energetic, industrious man with strong constitution, properly tempered with will
and determination, coupled with honest purpose to make a success of life.
Egan was born in county Roscommon, Ireland, March 17, 1826, son of Edward and
Mary (Haley) Egan. The father was an enemy to English rule, and in this his
children did not differ from him. Their coming to America happened in this
manner: Thomas and Bridget had considered seriously the propriety of emigrating
to this country, and, as they were without [means], finally appropriated a sum
of money which the father had laid by with which to pay his landlord. On
discovering what his children had done, he gave them the money and added more
thereto. Landing here, the two were well pleased and in due time sent for
Patrick and Margaret, the former at that time twenty-your years of age. A few
years later, when the four had saved their earnings and had means enough to send
for the rest of the family - the parents, Edward, Mary, William and John - they
did so and all were united in this "land of the free and home of the
brave." They settled in Lee county, Illinois, where the parents spent the
rest of their days and are buried, the father having died August 6, 1881, at the
age of ninety-two years, and the mother in 1872, at the age of eighty-four. Both
were devout members of the Catholic church. Of their eight children, Edward,
Mary, Thomas and Bridget are deceased.
Egan received his education on his native isle. He was put to work at the early
age of twelve years, and has been a hard worker ever since. As already stated,
he was twenty-four when he came to America. On his arrival here, he stopped with
an uncle, who lived near Baltimore, two years and a half. He then located in Lee
county, Illinois, where he made his home for fourteen years, working for the
railroad company. During this time he laid up money and speculated in town lots,
and later bought eighty acres of land from the railroad company. He subsequently
sold the land, and in 1877 came to Adams county, Iowa, to the farm where he now
resides, in section 7, Lincoln township. He bought a half section of land, when
all wild, now under a high state of cultivation. His cottage home is nicely
located and overlooks a most beautiful stretch of fertile country. He has a new
barn, other good buildings and all necessary conveniences for successfully
carrying on general farming and stock-raising. An orchard of four acres is among
other improvements on his farm.
Egan was married in Lee county, Illinois, in 1857, to Miss Bridget McGinnis, a
native of Ireland. Following is the issue from their union: Edward, who died
when a year and a half old; John, who only lived ten months; Thomas, at home,
engaged in farming for himself; William, who has been a teacher for some time,
is now working on a farm in Lee county, Illinois; Mary, also a teacher; James,
Patrick, deceased; and Peter.
Egan and his wife and some of their children are members of the Catholic church.
Politically he is a Republican.
H. Egleston has been a resident of Douglas township, Adams county, Iowa, since
1881, and is one of its intelligent and prosperous citizens.
Egleston was born in Oswego county, New York, September 25, 1849. His father,
Jeremiah Egleston, was born at Floyd Hill near Holland Point, New York, son of
Ezekiel Egleston, also a native of New York State, the family being of English
descent. The mother, Rozena (Howard) Egleston, was born in Oswego county, New
York, daughter of Dexter Howard, a native of Whitesboro, New York, and a
descendant of Dutch ancestry. To Jeremiah Egleston and his wife were born eight
children. The father was a contractor and builder, and was a member of the
Baptist Church. He died at the age of fifty-six years. The mother is now a
resident of Pulaski, Oswego county, New York, and is seventy-two years of age.
H. Egleston was reared in his native county, attended the public schools and
completed his studies at Mexico Academy. He learned his father's trade, that of
carpenter, and has followed it the most of his life. In 1873 he moved to Will
county, Illinois, and made his home near Joliet for four years. He then went to
Trego county, Kansas, bought and improved a farm and lived there three years. In
1881 he came to his present location, purchased eighty acres of wild bush and,
at once began the work of clearing and improving, and now has a good farm,
comfortable cottage home, good barn and outbuildings, and an orchard and grove.
Since coming to Adams county he has devoted much of his time to work at his
Egleston was married in Oswego county, New York, at the age of twenty, to Ida
Cole, a native of that place and a daughter of Clark and Caroline (Root) Cole.
They have five children: Louisa, wife of Oscar Oster, of Douglas township, and
Willie J., Arthur, Freddy and Roy. Gracie, their third child, died at the age of
Egleston has served as a member of the School Board for ten years, and is at
present Township Trustee, being an efficient and popular officer. He is a
Democrat and an active worker in the ranks of his party.
H. Ellenwood, one of the prominent farmers of Washington township, section 29,
Eureka postoffice, was born in Henry county, Illinois, May 20, 1840. His parents
were Morris and Susannah (White) Ellenwood, both natives of Ohio. The father was
a farmer; was hackdriver and mail carrier after coming to Illinois, owing to the
loss of an arm. He came to Illinois from Washington county, Ohio, about the year
1838, and settled on a farm in Henry county. He died in Henry county, Illinois.
His wife is still living with general health fairly good. She is still an
honored resident of Henry county, Illinois, is well known and highly respected
as an old settler. Her father, Rev. William White, was a minister of good
standing in the Methodist Episcopal Church.
subject began assisting in the support of the family at about the age of
fourteen years. Agriculture has been his business all his life. He farmed in
Henry county, Illinois, until 1870, when he moved to Adams county, locating on
the farm where he now resides; it was then raw prairie. He bought 120 acres of
ridge land. His house, 16 x 26 feet, one and a half stories high, is located on
the road leading from Carbon to Mount Etna. He has a nice location, commanding a
view of the surrounding country. He has an orchard of three acres and raises
small fruit as well. The farm is adapted well for a stock farm, being well
Ellenwood was married in 1863, to Virginia Cole, daughter of Asa and Rebecca
Cole, of Washington county, Ohio, now of Henry county, Illinois. The father was
a very thorough farmer, well and favorably known as an honest and upright
citizen. He is still living, an honored resident of Henry county, Illinois. His
wife died April 17, 1891, at the age of sixty-six years.
Ellenwood is the oldest in a family of eleven children, nine of whom are still
living. Mr. and Mrs. Ellenwood are the parents of sixteen children, three of
whom died in infancy. The others are, Edward J., married to Emma Anderson; Ard,
deceased at the age of twenty-three years; he went West and took possession of a
claim in Banner county, Nebraska; he made a visit home and on his return to his
claim he took sick and died June 21, 1889; Elmer, married to Ida Powell; Majesta,
wife of John Powell; Maud, wife of A. B. Schofield; Lucy R., wife of Rodman
Hathaway; Virginia, William S., Bennett G., Olive L., Martha B., Leonard and
Lillie B. Both parents are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
politics our subject is a Republican; he is also a member of the Farmers's
Alliance. He is a highly esteemed and valued citizen.
L. Ellis, Nevinville, Adams county, Iowa, is a Nova Scotian by birth, having
first seen the light on the 23rd of November, 1826. When a mere lad he went to
Massachusetts, and lived in that State until he was twenty-nine years old. He
came to Adams county, Iowa, and settled where he now resides in the fall of
1856. His father, J. A. Ellis, also a native of Nova Scotia, was born March 10,
1803. He, however, spent the greater part of his life in Massachusetts, where he
died April 15, 1887. His family consisted of twelve children, seven daughters
and five sons, J. L. being the eldest son.
1857 Mr. Ellis commenced farming near Nevinville, and in June of that year was
united in marriage to Miss Theresa M. Trask, who came from Nova Scotia to join
him. They have been blessed with eight children, five of whom are living. Among
their number are two pairs of twins. Their oldest son, Walter M. Ellis, is a
Congregational minister, now stationed in Wisconsin; George R. Ellis is engaged
in gold-mining in the Black Hills, South Dakota; Elizabeth M. Ellis is engaged
in teaching in the public schools of Fontanelle, Adair county, Iowa; her twin
sister, Miss Theresa A., is a teacher, stenographer and typewriter, at present
residing in Denver, Colorado; Robert W. is a student of Tabor College, and is
also a teacher.
Ellis like his father before him, has always been a farmer. He owns 135 acres of
fine, well-improved land in sections 3 and 2, Colony township, and is engaged in
general farming and stock-raising, giving especial attention to the breeding of
Shorthorn cattle and Poland-China hogs. He has a beautiful home, two large
barns, numerous outbuildings, fine orchard and groves, and every thing necessary
for successfully carrying on agricultural pursuits.
Ellis served one term as county Surveyor, and for fifteen years as Justice of
the Peace in Nevinville; has also held, on various occasions, the offices of
Township Trustee, member of the School Board, etc. He has ever taken an active
part in the promotion of the educational interests of the community in which he
lived. In politics he is a Republican. Mr. and Mrs. Ellis have been connected
with the Congregational Church of Nevinville ever since its organization thirty-
three years ago, and he has served in the capacity of Deacon for fifteen years.
Their family are also members of the same church. For the past forty-three years
Mr. Ellis has kept a record of daily events.
W. W. Ellis was born in Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, March 18, 1840, a son of
Quaker parents, Emmor K. and Susan (Metz) Ellis, natives of Pennsylvania. His
father was a hatter by trade and for years kept a hat store; later, he had
charge of a warehouse on the canal, where all kinds of goods were sold at
wholesale, and occupied this position up to the time of his death, which
occurred about 1880. During the late was he enlisted in 1862 and served as a
private in Company D, Sixty-first Pennsylvania Regiment Volunteer Infantry. He
took part in the battles of Williamsburg, Fair Oaks, and others; was never
wounded or taken prisoner; was honorably discharged on account of disability in
1863. He had two sons in the service, the subject of this sketch and Thomas C.
The latter enlisted August 18, 1861, in Company L, Twenty-third Pennsylvania
Volunteer Infantry. He took part in all the battles of the army of the Potomac
until the battle of the Wilderness, May 10, 1864, when he with five others was
instantly killed by the bursting of a shell. His age at death was twenty-two
years. He had served three years, had veteranized, and had discharged his duty
faithfully as a brave soldier.
W. Ellis began business for himself by clerking in a store, in which he was
engaged when the war came on. April 18, 1861, he enlisted as a private, but
served as such only one day. Previous to this he had been a member of the
Wyoming Artillerists four years. This company had served in the Mexican war
under General E. L. Dana, and in 1861 became Company F, Eighth Pennsylvania
Volunteer Infantry, under command of Captain A. H. Emily. When the regiment was
organized Captain Emily was made Colonel and Ed. Finch occupied his place as
Captain of Company f. The second day after entering the service Mr. Ellis was
employed in drilling companies and officers, and rendered most efficient service
in this as will be seen when it is known he was one of the best drill masters in
the regiment. Later he was elected Captain of Company H, same regiment. He,
however, refused to be captain because of an ill feeling engendered between the
former captain and the company itself. He was made Acting Quartermaster, which
position he held until the three months' service had expired. He then went home,
organized a company and became Captain of Company L, of Berney's Zouaves,
Twenty-third Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. In 1862 he, with his company, was
transferred to Company D, Sixty-first Regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteer
Infantry. He served in this company until May 3, 1863. At that time he was
severely wounded while storming Mary's Heights at Fredericksburg, Virginia. He
was shot, receiving a compound fracture below the knee; also received a gun-shot
would in the right side. This ended his field service as a soldier. He was
present and carried General O. O. Howard from the field when he had his arm shot
at the battle of Fair Oaks; later, the arm was amputated. He resigned from the
captaincy to accept a position in the Veteran Reserve Corps. He was offered the
captaincy of the Veteran Reserve Corps by President Lincoln in person, but did
not accept for reasons that were satisfactory to himself. He was in the hospital
at Washington about sixty days, and was subsequently on court- martial duty in
that city six months. Afterward he was sent to Newark, New Jersey, where, for
six months, he had charge of convalescent soldiers in the hospital. From there
he was sent to Trenton, New Jersey, and served as commanding officer a portion
of the time for nineteen months. After that he was appointed additional
Quartermaster of the United States Army for the State of New Jersey. The war
closing, he was sent home to await orders and received instruction from the War
Department to report to General O. O. Howard at Washington, District of
Columbia. The General ordered him to report at Vicksburg to Colonel Samuel
Thomas, Commissioner of the State of Mississippi. General Ellis was then made
Sub-Commissioner of the Freedman's Bureau at Vicksburg, where he served six
months and then resigned.
war over, he embarked in the mercantile business in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania,
continuing that with the lumber business and the manufacturing of lime. In 1870
he came West and settled in Montgomery county, Iowa, where he has since resided.
Here he has met with good success. For the past eighteen years he has been in
partnership with David Whitmyer, raising stock on their farm and dealing in
grain in Villisca. They own 160 acres of Montgomery county's richest soil, which
is well suited for stock-raising, and where they are especially interested in
the breeding of fine draft horses. He is also engaged in the Paulus railroad
drill-making, and driving a good business.
Ellis has been twice married. In the spring of 1861 he wedded Miss Tamzen Spry,
who died in 1868, leaving four children, viz.: Arthur W.; Emmor K., who is
married and lives in Dallas, Texas; Walter S., a bookkeeper for Keys Bros., of
Council Bluffs; and Maud S., who has been engaged in teaching in the public
schools of Beatrice, Nebraska, two years. In 1869 the General married Miss
Margaret Sleppy, daughter of Christian Sleppy, of Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania.
His first wife was associated with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he and
his present companion are members of the Presbyterian Church, of which he was a
trustee for many years.
is a member of the Masonic order, the I. O. O. F., the K. of P., and the G. A.
R. of Villisca. Of the last organization he was the first commander at this
place. In politics he is an ardent Republican. While in Pennsylvania, and after
returning from the war, he was made Captain of the Wyoming Veteran Zouaves. He
organized a company of militia in Villisca. He was elected Colonel of the Fifth
Regiment in 1880, and was re-elected in 1885-6, but after serving while
resigned. Governor Larrabee then appointed him on his staff, with the rank of
Brigadier- General. He was re appointed by Governor Larrabee on his re-election,
and had charge of the escort to the Governor on his inauguration. In organizing
the Blue-Grass League of Iowa, he was made its first treasurer, and the
following year was elected its president. Two terms he was commander of the
Veteran Association of Southwestern Iowa and Northwestern Missouri, and
afterward was president of that organization. He is now president of the
Creamery Company, president of the Paulus Railroad Drill Company, and
vice-president of the Anchor Fire Insurance Company of Creston.
is a mere outline of the life of this prominent man; to give an extended account
of his useful and eventful career would be to fill the pages of an entire
H. Elmendorf, dealer in real estate, Corning was born in Brooklyn, New York, the
youngest son of Rev. Anthony Elmendorf, D. D., and Sarah (Clark) Elmendorf. Dr.
Elmendorf was of Holland-Dutch parentage, was born and reared in Kingston,
Ulster county, New York, and graduated at both Rutgers College and Rutgers
Theological Seminary. While pursuing his studies at New Brunswick he made the
acquaintance of, and married, Sarah Clark, of English extraction and a
descendant of the famous Drake family. Dr. Elmendorf was a prominent minister of
the Reformed Dutch Church, and during the last twelve years of his life founded,
and was the pastor of the North Reformed Dutch Church of Brooklyn, New York, one
of the largest and prosperous congregations in the "City of Churches."
the death of Dr. Elmendorf in 1865, the surviving members of the family removed
to New Brunswick, New Jersey, to the old Clark homestead. The subject of our
sketch remained in New Brunswick for seven years, during which time he received
his education at Rutgers College Grammar School. In 1873 he was obliged to
abandon his chosen profession, his eyes having failed from over-study, and he
determined upon a business life. For four years and a half he engaged in the
wholesale paper trade in New York City, receiving a valuable business ducation,
in the house of J. F. Anderson, Jr., & Co., one of the best and strongest in
the city. At this time he made the acquaintance of George W. Frank, of the firm
of George W. Frank & Darrow, bankers and negotiators of western loans, 167
Broadway, New York, and Corning, Iowa, and this acquaintance led to an
engagement with them in their New York city office. After nine months in this
capacity Mr. Elmendorf came to Corning to enter into a partnership with Mr.
George W. Frank's son, Augustus (Second), as a dealer in real estate, under the
firm name of Frank & Elmendorf. The firm were placed in charge of a large
amount of property I Iowa, Missouri and Nebraska, and conducted the business
with profit to themselves and to the advantage of their many patrons.
February, 1886, the firm of Frank & Elmendorf was dissolved, and in April
following Mr. Elmendorf removed to Kearney, Nebraska, where he engaged in the
real-estate business, negotiating many transactions of magnitude and importance.
He has also engaged in stock-raising on a large scale, his well-known herd of
fine-bred Herefords ranking among the best in the land.
his residence in Adams county he materially aided in starting and maintaining
the Adams County Agricultural Fair Association, of which he was President for
the first and second years. The existence and present healthy condition of this
association are largely due to his energy, enterprise and executive ability. Mr.
Elmendorf married Jeanie Frank, only daughter of George W. Frank, in September,
1880, and has four living children: George Frank, Edward, Eleanor and Margaret.
At present the family make their home in Kearney, Nebraska; but as Mr. Elmendorf
still has land interests in Adams county, it is possible that they will at some
future time resume their residence in Corning.
Eno, deceased, was among the early settlers of Carl township, Adams county. He
located here in 1873 and made this place his home until the time of his death.
Following is a brief outline of his life. Harvey Eno was born in Onondaga
county, New York, June 9, 1837, son of Ira and Esther Eno, both of English
ancestry. He was reared on a farm and received his education in the common
schools. In early life he learned the trade of mason, which he followed for some
years. On arriving at manhood, he came west, and in Bureau county, Illinois, was
married to Esther Sheldon, who was born in Lake county, Ohio, near Cleveland. At
the age of thirteen years she moved with her parents to Bureau county, Illinois,
where she grew to womanhood. Her parents, Samuel and Emma (Vickry) Sheldon, the
former a native of Vermont and the latter of New York, subsequently came to
Adams county, Iowa, where they passed the rest of their lives and died. Mr. Eno
lived in Bureau county two years after his marriage. He then west East and spent
three years in New York. His next move was to Clinton county, Iowa, in 1867;
thence, in 1873, to Adams county, where he bought 160 acres of land and lived on
it until the time of his death, November 20, 1883. He was a good citizen and a
man who had the respect of all who knew him. He left a widow and nine children.
The latter area as follows: William Moores, of Carl township, this county;
Hattie, wife of Homer Ray of Nuckolls county, Nebraska; Ed. W., also of Nuckolls
county, Nebraska; Emma, wife of William Morrison of Adair county, Iowa; and
Joseph, Nettie A., Albert, James D. and Howard.
Eno has a fine farm of 200 acres, having added forty acres to the land her
husband had purchased. Her comfortable cottage home is located on a natural
building site and is surrounded by a beautiful lawn, orchard and grove.
Everything on [the] premises is in good shape and shows enterprise and
prosperity. Mrs. Eno is a woman who has passed through many trials, and has
always proved herself equal to any emergency. She is a devoted Christian and a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Carl.
gentleman has been a resident of Douglas township for many years and is well
known here. A brief review of his life and ancestry furnishes the following
family name was originally English[.] One of his ancestors was an ensign in the
British army, and was a rebel and deserter. Coming to America he dropped his own
name and assumed that of Ensign, which has been handed down to his posterity.
The great-grandfather of our subject was a mechanic by trade and made cutlasses
for the Revolutionary soldiers. His grandfather, Isaiah Ensign, was a captain in
the war of 1812, and both he and his son William, father of W. H., were natives
of Hartford, Connecticut. William was twenty years old when his father moved to
New York State, and the former was engaged in the manufacture of salt at
Syracuse when that town contained only four houses. He married Huldah Brookins,
a native of Berkshire county, Massachusetts, and a daughter of of Stephen
Brookins, a native of Massachusetts. Stephen Brookins was a soldier in the
Revolutionary war, as was also his wife's father, Michael Taylor. The Ensign
family were among the early settlers in Madison county, New York, Captain Ensign
died there, aged eighty-eight, and his wife, ninety-six.
1856 William and Huldah Ensign removed from Madison county, New York, to Fond du
Lac county, Wisconsin, where they remained until 1866, when they came to Adams
county, Iowa. They reared a family of five children, four of whom are living.
Here the mother died in 1873, and the father passed away at the age of
seventy-five years. The latter was a Whig and subsequently a Republican; was an
earnest Christian man, first a Baptist, afterward a Methodist, and at the time
of his death a member of the United Brethren Church. The names of the children
born to them are as follows: Polly Noise, of Bates county, Missouri; W. H.,
whose name heads this sketch; O. S., of Douglas township, Adams county; Stephen
B., deceased, and Eunice Jenette Wright, of Bates county, Missouri.
B. Ensign was born in Madison county, New York, and was reared there and in
Wisconsin. He was married in Adams county, Iowa, to Mrs. Mary E. Erskins, nee
Spargur. She was born and reared in Highland county, Ohio, daughter of Caleb W.,
and Lydia Spargur. Her first husband, Michael Erskins, died in Highland county,
Ohio, leaving her with one son, M. G. Erskins, who now resides with W. H.
Ensign. Stephen B. Ensign and wife both died about the same time, some twelve
years ago, leaving a daughter, Anna Belle Ensign, who also resides with her
uncle, W. H. Ensign.
subject of our sketch was reared on a farm in Madison county, New York, where he
was born August 18, 1835. He received his education in the common schools of his
native State, and was twenty years old when the family moved to Fond du Lac
county, Wisconsin. February 9, 1864, he enlisted in Company I, Thirty-fifth
Wisconsin Infantry, volunteers; served on the Mississippi river, most of the
time doing provost and guard duty, and was honorably discharged at Madison,
Wisconsin, May 12, 1865. In 1866 he came to Adams county, Iowa, with his parents
and older sister, making the journey with teams and camping out at night. He
settled on his present farm in 1870. It was then wild land, and under his
judicious management it has been developed into a fine farm. The two-story
residence is built on the southern style and is located somewhat back from the
road. Mr. Ensign has given much attention to stock. He owns one horse, now
twenty-six years old, that he brought with him from Wisconsin.
jovial bachelor, honorable and upright in all his business dealings, and frank
and cordial at all times, Mr. Ensign is a favorite among his many friends. He is
a Republican and a member of the Meyerhoff Post.
P. Essley, one of Grant township's well-known and popular citizens, came to this
county in 1874, where he has since resided. He was born in the Hawkeye State, in
Washington county, December 21, 1846, a son of John and Jane (Mickey) Essley;
the former was born near Muncie, Indiana, and the latter in Pennsylvania. The
parents were married in Washington county, Iowa. The father was married previous
to this in Indiana, of which State he was a pioneer. Our subject was nine years
of age when his father died, and the mother was afterward married, and now lives
in Washington county, Iowa.
P. Essley was reared on a farm in Mercer county, Illinois, by relatives, and
received his education in the common schools. During the great Rebellion he
enlisted, in October, 1864, in the one Hundred and Twenty-fourth Illinois
Volunteer Infantry, Company G, and participated in the battle of Mobile,
Alabama. He was honorably discharged at the close of the war, and returned to
Mercer county, where he engaged in the more peaceful pursuits of agriculture. In
1874 he came to Grant township, Adams county, where he bought eighty acres of
wild land, to which he has since added until he now owns 200 acres of Adams
county's best soil, well improved. He has a good cottage, an orchard, groves,
sheds, cribs, yards and feed lots.
Essley was married February 27, 1873, to Averilla Pratt, who was born, reared
and educated in Mercer county, a daughter of John and Mary (Furgeson) Pratt, the
former a native of Pennsylvania, Fayette county, and the latter in Mercer
county, where the father died, in 1889, at the age of 73 years. Mr. and Mrs.
Essley have four children - Jennie, Mary, Ruth and Martin C. Politically Mr.
Essley is a Republican. He is a member of the G. A. R., Lenox Post, and also of
the Presbyterian Church, in which he is a trustee. Mrs. Essley and daughter
Jennie are members of the same church.
E. Evans, a farmer of section 26, Grant township, Adams county (postoffice
Lenox), is one of the well-known, enterprising and successful citizens of that
part of the county. He was born in Cardiganshire, Wales, June 8, 1836, a son of
Benjamin and Elizabeth (Davis) Evans, both natives also of that country, in
which they spent their lives. They had four sons and three daughters.
Evans, our subject, was reared to farm life. In 1856 he bade farewell to family
and relatives and sailed from Liverpool to Philadelphia, by steamer. After
arrival he first found employment at Johnstown, Pennsylvania. In 1858 he went to
Jackson county, Ohio, and for two years was employed in iron mining and blasting
furnaces at Cambria. Next he was engaged in coal-mining in Rock Island county,
Illinois, until the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted in defense of his
adopted country, in Company D, Twelfth Illinois Infantry, three- months men.
Most of the time his regiment was stationed at Cairo, Illinois, and Cassville.
At the expiration of his time of enlistment he was honorably discharged and
returned home, in August, 1862; but when President Lincoln called for 300,000
men he again offered his services, enlisting this time in Company H, One Hundred
and Twenty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the siege of
Vicksburg, the battles at Little Rock (Arkansas), and other battles and
skirmishes. On account of disability, in November, 1864, he was honorably
discharged, when he was First Lieutenant, having made a gallant record as a
soldier and officer.
to Rock Island, he resumed peaceful pursuits, following mining until 1880, when
he came to Adams county, locating upon land which he had purchased in 1869. Here
he has a modern frame house, 14 x 26 feet, with an L 14 x 16, and both a story
and a half in height. Ornamental trees, barn and other outbuildings, good and
substantial, adorn the premises.
18, 1862, is the date of Mr. Evans' marriage to Miss Sarah Daniels, a native of
Amboy, Oswego county, New York, who at the age of eighteen years came to Henry
county, Illinois. Her father, Buckley Daniels, was born in Lewis county, New
York, and died at Rock Island. Her mother, whose maiden name was Ann Wheeler,
was born at Norwich, Connecticut, and died here in Adams county, in 1888. Mr.
and Mrs. Evans have one son, Benjamin Grant, who was born at Rock Island,
February 24, 1866, and was married December 22, 1887, to Miss Lettie Cochran, a
daughter of Thomas and Ann (Kinser) Cochran, of prominent and well-known
families in this county. Her father, who was a soldier in the last war, is an
old settler here. The younger Evans has one daughter, born December 6, 1888, and
named Lula Grace. He is a member of the blue lodge, F. & A. M., at Lenox, of
the K. and P. and S. of V. Mr. D. E. Evans is a Republican in his political
views, is a member of Lenox Post, 316, G. A. r., and also of the Masonic and Odd
Fellows' orders; and he and his family are members of the Presbyterian Church.