Biographical History of Montgomery and Adams Counties, Iowa.
Unless otherwise noted, the following biographies were submitted by Dick Barton.
Campbell, a farmer of section 25, Grant Township, - whose postoffice address is
Lenox, - is one of the intelligent and enterprising citizens who came here in
1878. He was born in Peel county, Canada, February 18, 1843, a son of William
Campbell, who was born at Dumfries, Scotland. His mother, whose maiden name was
Jane Murray, was also a native of Scotland. Mr. Campbell's parents came to
Canada when young, were married there, and they still live in Peel county, in
that Dominion, the father now being aged eighty-five years and the mother
eighty-two. They had seven sons and two daughters.
the fifth born, was reared to farm life. In 1863 he came to Muscatine, this
State, and in a short time moved to Rock Island county, Illinois, and engaged in
coal-mining, which he followed until he came to Adams county. He now has a fine
farm of 120 acres of well-improved land, a good frame house 16 x 26 feet and one
and a half stories high and well situated near a cross roads. He has all the
appurtenances of a well-equipped farm.
11, 1866, at Rock Island, Illinois, he was married to Anna Howell, who was born
at Ironton, Ohio. She was thirteen years of age when she came to Rock Island.
Her father was William Howell, and her mother's maiden name was Magdalena Evans,
and both were natives of Wales, where they were married. Her father died when
she was eight years old, and her mother is still living, at the age of
seventy-two years, in Henry county, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell have had
nine children, namely: Robert W., Elsie, Susie J., Frank J., Mort L., Ira J.,
Artie, Wilfred and Ethel M. Two sons died in infancy. On national questions Mr.
Campbell is a Republican. He has creditably served as Assessor of Grant township
four years, and he has also been a member of the School Board. Mrs. Campbell is
a member of Prairie Star Church (Presbyterian), Union county, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs.
Campbell are honored members of the community.
Carl, one of the prominent citizens and farmers of Lincoln township, section 36,
Carbon postoffice, was born in Adams county, Ohio, August 9, 1844. His parents
were Andrew and Nancy (Wallace) Carl, both natives of Ohio. The father was a
miller by trade; he ran a mill in Adams county for many years and followed that
calling from the early age of eighteen years. He took part in the late was as
private in Company G, Thirty-seventh Regiment of Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He was
over age and enlisted for garrison duty and detached service. He served for more
than one year. He was never wounded nor taken prisoner, but was discharged for
disability; he came home and died in about a year, in 1865, at the age of
fifty-four years. He was a deacon in the Baptist Church for many years, and was
well known and universally respected. He lived in Des Moines county since 1851,
and died there. His wife is still living at the advanced age of seventy-six
parents had six children, five of whom are yet living; our subject is third in
the family. He began life for himself at the age of twenty- one years. Farming
was his business. He came to Adams county, March 7, from Dakota, having lived
there for nine years. He owned a farm there, and bought land on which he now
resides of T. B. Kenyon; there are 175 acres, fifteen of which are in timber;
160 acres are improved and in good condition. He raises corn, hay and oats, has
an orchard and a nice vineyard, and raises small fruit as well. His house is
pleasantly located and commands a view of most beautiful and fertile country. He
raises stock of all kinds, and is numbered among the progressive, worthy and
well-to-do citizens of the township.
Carl has held township offices, but has little taste for official position. In
his public life he has given a reasonable degree of satisfaction. He is
progressive in his views and favorable to the enterprises which promote the best
welfare of the community. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.; in politics a
Republican and a worthy and well esteemed citizen.
Carothers was born in Wayne county, New York, January 23, 1826, son of John
Carothers, a native of New York, and a grandson of Robert Carothers. The
grandfather was in Sodus Point, New York, at the time the British fired that
town. The Carothers family came from Scotch and Irish ancestry. John Carothers
married Anna Mason, a native of the Empire State. Her father, Isaac Mason, was
also a native of New York, and was a soldier in the Revolutionary war.
subject of our sketch was a lad of twelve years when his parents moved to
Crawford county, Pennsylvania, and settled near Meadville. In 1841 they moved to
a place near Galesburg, Knox county, Illinois, becoming pioneers of the then far
West. The parents passed the rest of their lives there and died, the mother at
the age of forty-eight years and the father, seventy. They had a family of six
sons and four daughters. The father was a farmer all his life. He had always
voted the Democratic ticket until the presidential election of 1840, when he
gave his support to General William Henry Harrison. Charles was fifteen when the
family moved to Illinois. His education was received in the common schools of
New York, Pennsylvania and Illinois and completed at Alleghany College,
Meadville, Pennsylvania. For several years he was engaged in teaching in New
York, Pennsylvania and Iowa.
1868 Mr. Carothers came to Adams county and settled on 120 acres of rich bottom
land in section 21, Douglas township. Here he has continued to reside, engaged
in general farming and stock-raising. The fine appearance of his well improved
farm indicates that the hand of toil has been well directed and backed by good
Carothers was married, at the age of twenty-eight, in Crawford county,
Pennsylvania, to Miss Alfreda H. Ellis, a native of Maine. When nine years of
age she removed with her parents to Pennsylvania, where she was reared and
educated. Her parents, John and Susan (Ford) Ellis, are both deceased, the
mother having died in Pennsylvania and the father in Maine while on a visit to
that State. Following is the issue from this union: Helen, wife of Sam
Billingsley, Marshall county, Kansas; John E., Council Bluffs, Iowa; Ford Mason,
Cowlitz county, Washington; Anna, wife of P. D. Hawkins, Shenandoah, Iowa; C.
Grant, of McPherson county, Kansas; Minnie G., Charles E., Bird L., Milo D. and
Fred P., at home. Three of the children, C. Grant, Mrs. Billingsley and Mrs.
Hawkins, have become efficient and popular teachers. Mr. Carothers voted for
Fremont and has been a member of the Republican party ever since its
organization. He has served as township trustee, township clerk and Justice of
the Peace. Both he and his wife are members of the Evangelical Church.
H. Chaffee, contractor and builder of Corning, was born in Vermont, in 1834, a
son of Harry and Annie (Allen) Chaffee, natives also of the Green Mountain
State; the mother was a descendant of Ethan Allen, of Revolutionary fame. Harry
Chaffee was a farmer, as well as contractor and builder, and died in 1888; but
his wife preceded him to the spirit land a short time. Allen, the fourth of five
children, finished his school days in Hinesburg Academy, and then learned the
carpenter's trade, probably inheriting from his father his mechanical genius. In
1852 he settled in Henry county, Illinois, and in 1874 came to Adams county,
Iowa. Among his works here are the First National Bank building, probably the
finest in the county; the City Hall, the water works and the Edgewood, the
beautiful suburban home of F. M. Widner, and the courthouse, the last of which
is probably the grandest testimonial to his skill. It is on a commanding
eminence, built of pressed brick, with granite columns and finished in hardwood;
the walls are fire-proof; the offices and furnishings are in harmony with the
beautiful exterior; while the vaults are fitted with the newest and best
equipments. On the whole the courthouse seems to be perfect in construction,
proportion and adaptation to the uses for which it is intended. Mr. Chaffee
occupies a commodious residence of a farm just west of Corning, where the
premises show that the proprietor is a man of culture. In his political
principles he is a Republican, conservative and independent.
1857 he married Miss Isabel Duncan, and they are the parents of seven children.
Percy Clark, teacher, Corning, was born in Geneseo, New York, in 1838, a son of
Elias and Mary Clark, natives also of that State and of English descent. The
father died in 1849, but the mother is still living, hale and hearty. She is, as
was her husband, a member of the Presbyterian Church. The senior Clark was a
Clark, our present subject, was trained in Temple Hill Academy and Princeton
College, at the latter of which he was graduated in the class of 1859, with the
degree of A. B. His self-dependent career he began as a teacher, going South and
establishing an academy. A few years afterward he began the study of law and was
admitted to the bar in 1872. The same year he came to Corning and began the
practice of his profession. At length he was elected Justice of the Peace, and
such was the extent of his business in that office that he was almost entirely
excluded from practice as an attorney. On the expiration of his term he refused
re-election and returned to practice; was once chosen a member of the School
Board, and was prevailed upon to take charge of the public schools, and under
his management they rose to the first position. The average attendance was 450,
including forty-five non-resident pupils, and there were ten teachers. The
course ended with four years of high- school studies. Mr. Clark excels in school
discipline, making it appear as if the harmony among the pupils was a mutual
agreement among philosophers.
1869 Mr. Clark was married to Miss Hattie M. Maxwell, and their children are
Maud, a graduate of Painesville (Ohio) College; and Ira P., in school. The
family are Presbyterians. Mr. Clark is still a classical student, having one of
the finest private libraries in the State, which includes works of ancient
literature, on history, theology, philosophy, education, etc., besides many
valuable works of reference. Politically he is a stalwart Republican.
close unity to its distinction as the great farm region, it occurs that one of
Montgomery county's wealthiest and most prominent men, Hon. Justus Clark, is
distinctively a farmer and is proud of that title. Mr. Clark was the son of
Wright and Lucy Clark, and was born at Royalton, Vermont, March 22, 1819. He was
born and raised on a farm and never forsook his calling. Trained in that
industry and economy peculiar to his early home, it is to this that Mr. Clark
attributes much of his success in life.
1830, while he was still a lad, his father acquired the Governor Chittenden
farm, in Chittenden county, the largest and finest farm in that State. It has
remained in the family ever since. Near here was Williston Academy, taught by
the father of President Arthur, where Mr. Clark finished his education, young
Chester being a lad of about twelve at that time. In 1835 Mr. Clark became a
clerk in the store of Lathrop & Potwin, one of the heaviest merchandising
houses in Burlington, Vermont. He rose rapidly and at twenty was offered a
partnership, having then been manager two years. He determined not to accept
this offer, however, and returned to the farm, and in May, 1839, came to
Burlington, this State. Iowa had then been organized as a Territory less than a
year, and Mr. Clark was a witness of the first Fourth of July celebration. In
Burlington Mr. Clark became manager in the house of General M. M. McCarver and
S. S. White, a prominent firm that built the first permanent cabin in
Burlington. Here Mr. Clark was married to Mrs. Cartmill, a relative of Mrs.
McCarver, and one of the earliest settlers of Burlington.
1842 Mr. Clark purchased a farm in Des Moines county, and began life on his own
account. Farming has been his constant occupation ever since, he marketing in
1889 his forty-seventh consecutive annual crop of farm produce. It is Mr.
Clark's strong belief that farming is one of the most remunerative of all
occupations. His strong faith was shown at an early day when he began investing
his surplus earnings in the cheap lands of Western Iowa, in Union and Montgomery
counties. In 1868 he sold his home farm in Des Moines county, increasing his
belongings in Montgomery county and improving them. He had, however, in 1857,
purchased a farm in Cook county, Illinois, which he made a dairy farm and sent
milk into Chicago for fifteen years. Mr. Clark did not personally superintend
this farm, having a tenant manager. It proved a very profitable investment.
After disposing of his Chicago farm in 1876, he built his present home in Red
Oak on land entered by him from the Government thirty-five years ago.
Previously, in 1869, he organized, with his nephew, B. B. Clark, as active
partner, the lumber firm of Justus Clark & Co. In 1883 this business was
closed out and the Red Oak National Bank established with Mr. Clark as
president, B. B. Clark, vice-president, and Paul P. Clark, cashier. The
remarkable fact about this institution is that of its $100,000 capital, $80,000
is retired capital, accrued from Iowa farms. It is as Mr. Clark delights to put
it, "Iowa farm-made money."
1882 the Iowa and New Mexico ranch Company was organized, with Justus, B. B. and
P. P. Clark, owners, for the purpose of raising stock cattle for Messrs. Clark's
Iowa farms. This year they bring from their ranch here over 700 head: they have
remaining 4.000 head of the ranch, the outgrowth of 1,100 yearling heifers
placed there five years ago, - "an excellent investment," remarked Mr.
Clark, "despite the low price of cattle."
Clark still continues remarkably active. He is at present operating 3,500 acres
under fence, land on which no mortgage was ever laid since he was the owner. In
addition to superintending his farm, he has exclusive charge of the New Mexico
ranch, and continues active in his position as president of the bank, -
certainly a busy life.
Mr. Clark has been likewise active. He has, he says, laughingly, filled about
every position from school director up to a disappointed aspirant. He assisted
in building log schoolhouses, was a Justice of the Peace, six years county
Commissioner and six years in the Legislature, both when the capitol was at Iowa
City and when the first three Legislative sessions were held in Des Moines. In
1883 he was a candidate for Lieutenant-Governor on the ticket with Judge Kinne,
"when," as Mr. Clark adds, "though we were defeated, the
Republican majority was cut down 60,000 votes." Since this Mr. Clark has
not been active as a politician, though he has had many flattering offers to
become the candidate of his party.
his activity in business, Mr. Clark has been hardly less active as a traveler.
In 1850, the year following the gold discovery of 1848, joining four others, he
fitted up an ox team and went across the plains 2,300 miles, 2,000 of which was
through a hostile Indian country. The trip was successful, they reaching Coloma,
where gold was first discovered. They engaged in mining for a time, returning
home the next winter by sailing vessel to Panama, footing it across the Isthmus
and returning via New Orleans. Since then Mr. Clark has been over every
transcontinental line running to the Pacific, having crossed the Rockies fifteen
times, in every style of conveyance from a pack train to a palace car. He has
also been to Alaska and climbed the great glacier. In 1880 he went to Europe,
not only to see cathedrals and ruins but also to study the agricultural and
stock-raising industries. He visited all the great stock markets and farming
sections, returning home, he says, with increased confidence in the profits of
our rich lands for grain and stock purposes, and realizing their high value more
than ever. "I have," he says, "no land for sale."
years ago Mr. Clark visited Old Mexico, returning to visit the New Orleans
Exposition. He has spent most of his winters for the past twelve years in
recreation, traveling everywhere from Alaskan glaciers to near the equator,
skipping meanwhile not a year in active management of his farms. He takes great
interest in various organizations, being Vice-President for Iowa of the National
Cattle and Horse Growers' association, and likewise of the National Bankers'
Association, and was President in 1887 of the Iowa Fine Stock Breeders'
Association. He assisted in the re-organization of the Revenue Reform Club at
Detroit and is Vice-President for Iowa. Mr. Clark had lived a long and busy life
and deservedly looks back on it now with regret, but with pleasure and pride.
Probably no man in the State is prouder of the prosperity and progress of Iowa
than Mr. Clark.
B. Clark, vice-president of the Red Oak National Bank, and his brother, Paul P.
Clark, cashier of the same institution, are nephews of the president, Justus
Clark, and native of Chittenden county, Vermont, the sons of Philo Clark,
deceased. Ben B. was born in 1848 and came to Iowa in 1866, and engaged in the
lumber business at Afton, where he continued until 1869, and then came to Red
Oak, engaging in the same business, the firm name being Justus Clark & Co.
In 1883 the Red Oak National Bank was organized, with Justus Clark as president;
B. B. Clark, vice-president and Paul P. Clark, cashier; no change has been made
in the official management of the bank since its organization. Paul P. Clark was
born in Chittenden county, Vermont, in 1856, and came to Red Oak in the spring
of 1874. Until the organization of the bank, he was engaged with the lumber firm
of Justus Clark & Co.
Clark is a member of the firm of Clark & Co., proprietors of the River
Roller Mills near Red Oak. This mill was established about 1870, by Samuel
Wheeler, an old-time miller of this county. It was later operated for some time
by J. J. Monk. Mr. Clark leased the mill in 1882 and afterward bought out the
owners. The building is a substantial one, forty feet square and about forty
feet high, has a double set of rollers, with a capacity of eighty barrels a day,
of first-class flour. The company therefore has a large local trade, shipping
some to adjacent towns and some even to Chicago. The products of their mill give
the best satisfaction everywhere they are used. The son, E. E. Clark, a
practical miller of nine years' experience, is a partner.
William Clark, the senior member of the firm, came here in the spring of 1869.
He was born in Adams county, Pennsylvania, March 6, 1838, a son of James Clark,
who was a native of Ireland and came to America when a young man, and was
married in Pennsylvania, to Miss Adaline Bittinger, a native of that State. The
father was a contractor and builder of pikes and public roads. Mr. Clark was
reared in Adams and Franklin counties, of the Keystone State, until sixteen
years of age. At the age of eighteen he went to Mt. Carroll, Illinois, where he
was engaged in the wood trade and in the grocery business. In 1869 he came to
Montgomery county, and opened up a new farm west of Red Oak; later he was
engaged as a brick mason in this city, and afterward in the butcher's trade, and
finally, in 1882, he entered the milling business. He also has a good farm and
is a successful feeder of live-stock and dealer in the same.
7, 1861, at Mt. Carroll, Illinois, Mr. Clark was married to Miss Maria J. Adair,
a native of Pennsylvania who was reared at Mt. Carroll, and they have four
children, viz.: E. E., who is in company with his father; F. H., a clerk in the
postoffice at Omaha; Jesse N., at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa; and Nellie, at home. The
family lost one by death, their fourth child, at the age of three years.
his political sympathies, Mr. Clark is a radical Republican; in religion he is a
member of the Methodist Episcopal church, in which he is steward, class-leader
and Sunday-school worker; and his wife and three children are also members of
the same church. Mr. Clark is in the prime of life, intelligent, cordial and
Frank A. Clarke, who resides on section 22, Quincy township, is a son of a pioneer family of Adams county. His father, Hezekiah b. Clark, located in the village of Quincy, September 18, 1855. He was born in Lebanon, Connecticut, July 24, 1816, the son of Colonel James Clark, who belonged to an early Connecticut family. Mr. Clark remained in that State until a young man, and was reared to mercantile pursuits, his father having been a merchant at Lebanon. About the time he had attained his manhood he removed with his father's family to Le Roy, Genesee county, New York, and later the family removed to Michigan. There the parents spent the remainder of their lives. H. b. Clark was married in Wayne county, Michigan, in 1840, to Miss Caroline V. Taylor, a native of Ontario county, New York, born in 1818, who went with her parents to Michigan when about ten years old. Her parents were Philo and Theodosia (Stout) Taylor, who continued to live in Michigan. After marriage Mr. Clark was engaged in farming. In 1855 he removed with his family to Adams county, Iowa, and settled at Quincy, which was then a flourishing village and the county seat of Adams county. There he engaged in the mercantile business, in which he continued until death, which occurred March 24, 1868. He and wife were the parents of three children, one son and two daughters, viz.: Julia, the eldest, became the wife of F. M. Davis, and died December 6, 1881; Frank A., the second child and the eldest son, was born in Michigan, December 3, 1848, being about seven years old when he came with his parents to Adams county; he married L. Augusta Lovejoy, and they have a daughter, Maud. The third child of Mr. and Mrs. H. B. Clark was Ida, who died in early childhood, born January 10, 1863. Mr. Clark was an esteemed and respected citizen, and a moral and upright man. His religious sentiments were of the most pronounced type, and he was especially noted for his piety and consistent Christian life. He was a member of the Congregational Church, and his home in early days was the headquarters of the gospel of any denomination. His hospitality in that regard was unbounded. In the days of slavery he was a friend of the slave, was identified with the Abolition party, and was ever ready to help the escaping slaves to the land of freedom. In short he was a most estimable and worthy man. His wife, who now resides with her son in Quincy township, was a worthy companion of her esteemed husband.
A. F. COLLMAM, a farmer and nurseryman of section 4, Mercer township, was born in Hanover, Germany, January 18, 1841, a son of Frederick and Dora (Bussie) Collman, natives of Hanovor, Germany, where they were reared and married. In 1845 they emigrated to America, first locating in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, thence to Kendall county, Illinois, where he improved a frontier farm and reared a family of six children, three of whom are living at this writing. The father died in 1871, at the age of eighty-four years, and the mother in 1889, at the age of ninety-one years.
SAMUEL CONRAD was born in Ohio , near the Pennsylvania line, about 1835, and was reared in Holmes county, Ohio . He is a son of John Conrad, a native of Pennsylvania , and Anna (Falulk) Conrad, the daughter of German parents. The former lived in Ohio until his death and the latter subsequently came to Iowa and passed the remainder of her days in Madison county.
His father being a farmer, Samuel was reared to farm work and received only a limited education in the common schools. He was sixteen when he came to Iowa . After spending some time in Adair county, he came to Adams county where he has since made his home.
When the war fo the Rebellion came on Mr. Conrad went to the front and did his part to help preserve the Union . He enlisted in 1862, in the Twenty-third Iowa Infantry, one of the Iowa regiments that made a brilliant and honorable war record. During his three years' service he participated in the battles of Champion Hill and Black River Bridge ; was at Galveston , Texas , for a time and at Fort Esperando , Spanish Fort, and other places. He had some narrow escapes. At Black River Bridge a bullet went through his clothing but he was unharmed.
At the close of the war Mr. Conrad returned to Iowa . He is now located on a good farm of 160 acres in Carl township, Adams county, where he is surrounded by all the comforts of life.
Mr. Conrad was married, in Warren county, Iowa , in 1867, to Miss Eliza Ann Polson, a native of Cedar county, Missouri . Her father, John W. Polson, a well-known and highly respected citizen of Carl township, this county, was born in Garrard county, Kentucky , in 1820, son of Thomas Polson, a native of Virginia , and Zillah (King) Polson. He was reared in Harrison county, Indiana, and in 1856 came to Iowa and settled in Warren county. He came to Adams county in 1869. In Washington county, Indiana, he married Elizabeth Radcliff, daughter of David and Elizabeth (Brown) Radcliff. Mr. and Mrs. Conrad have four children - Mary Eldora, Cora Etta, Albert and Willie.
Politically Mr. Conrad is an Independent.
Cooper, one of the prominent farmers and business men of Adams county, resides
on section 36, Lincoln township.
Cooper is a native of Lincolnshire, England, born September 15, 1838, a son of
John and Ann (Curtis) Cooper, both natives of that country. In early life his
father made a trip to America, remained three years at Montreal and then
returned to England, where he spent the rest of his days. He was a farmer all
his life. He and his wife were prominent members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church. The father went from labor to reward November 27, 1878, at the age of
seventy-eight years; the mother died January 20, 1885, aged eighty-two. This
worthy couple were the parents of five children, George being the third born.
Cooper received his education in England, and there began farming for himself at
the age of twenty-two years. This business he has since followed. In September,
1871, he landed in the United States and came direct to Adams county, Iowa. For
six years he lived on farm three miles northwest of Corning. In 1877 he moved to
Quincy. The following year he rented land a mile and a half northwest of
Corning. From there he came to his present location in March, 1883. In 1881 he
purchased this farm, 248 acres, which is now ranked with the first-class farms
of the county. It is substantially improved with good fences, two-story
residence, other buildings, etc. Mr. Cooper does general farming and is
extensively engaged in stock-raising.
23, 1860, on the twenty-first birthday of his bride, the subject of our sketch
was united in marriage with Miss Dinah Hesselby, daughter of William and Jane
Hesselby, of England, their marriage occurring in that country. Their family
consisted of five children when they emigrated to America. Sailing from
Liverpool on board a vessel with 1,500 passengers, they landed safely in New
York after a voyage of eleven days. Since coming here other children have been
added to their household, making ten in all. John W. resides on a farm in
Kansas. He married Miss Estella Wadley and has three children, - Forrester,
Gertie and William F. Jane A. is the wife of William Humphrey, has one daughter,
Lelah H., and resides in Montgomery county, Iowa. Emma, wife of R. A. Lawrence,
also lives in Montgomery county. She and her husband have three children, -
Carl, Eddie E. and Albert I. Alice married Ramer Jones, has one child, Gertie
E., and lives on a farm in Douglas township, Adams county. Robert died November
1, 1884, at the age of seventeen years. The following named are members of the
home circle: Fred, Louisa, Nellie, Ralph G. and Ella M. Both parents are members
of the Methodist Episcopal Church as are also several of the children.
Politically Mr. Cooper is an Independent.
It may be further stated that Mrs. Cooper's father died January 15, 1867, at the age of sixty-six years; her mother passed away at the age of eighty. She was the ninth born in their family of eleven children, eight of whom are still living.
Robert M. Creighton was born in Stark county, Ohio, April 2, 1835, son of James and Elizabeth (Sidle) Creighton, the former a native of Ireland, and the latter born in Pennsylvania, the daughter of German parents. Mr. Creighton was brought up to farm work in his native county, and received a limited education in the public schools. In 1855 he went to Stark county, Illinois, where he lived for some years. His father died in Ohio at the age of eighty-eight years. He was a farmer all his life. Politically he was a Whig, and religiously a Presbyterian, having served for many years as a deacon in the church. The mother died at Indianola, Warren county, Iowa, in 1885, aged seventy-six years. They reared a large family, and five of their sons served in the late war. Robert M. enlisted in August, 1862, in the One Hundred and Twelfth Illinois Infantry Volunteers, and served until he was honorably discharged, June 20, 1865. He was in the battles of Knoxville, Resaca, Atlanta, Franklin, Nashville, Wilmington (North Carolina), and the East Tennessee raid. For ten months he served as a cavalryman. At Knoxville, Tennessee, his horse falling, he received serious injury to his right leg, from the effects of which he has never recovered. He now receives a small pension.
After the war Mr. Creighton returned to Illinois and engaged in farming in Knox county. In 1881 he came to Adams county, Iowa, and bought the old Robinson farm, as it was called, and here he has since lived. This farm is located in section 12, Carl township, and comprises eighty acres of rich land. It has a nice grove and orchard and other improvements.
September 13, 1866, in Stark county, Ohio, Mr. Creighton wedded Miss Nancy Jane McIlravy. Her father, Hugh C. McIlravy, was born in Ireland, came to America in 1812, and died at Victoria, Illinois, at the age of eighty-nine years. Her mother, nee Ellen Quigley, a native of Pennsylvania, died March 28, 1857. Mr. and Mrs. Creighton have three children: Elizabeth Ellen, William M. and Ida K. J. Miss Elizabeth E. is a member of the Congregational Church.
Mr. Creighton affiliates
with the Republican party, and is a member of the G. A. R., Post No.
D. R. Culver was born in Cedar county, Iowa, in
1863, son of Orace and Catherine (Hairry)
Culver, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Indiana. Orace Culver pre-empted Government land in Cedar county forty years
ago, and still resides on it. D.
R. Culver was reared on the old homestead, passed
his youth in farm work, and received his education in the public schools
of his native county. In 1882 he
came to Carl township, Adams county,
and bought a farm of 160 acres in section 4, where he has since lived.
His place is well improved with buildings, etc., and his attention
is given to general farming and stockraising.
Mr. Culver was married in Adams county, Iowa, in April, 1887, to Miss Eldora Conrad, a native of Iowa and a daughter of Samuel and Eliza (Polsen) Conrad, natives of Ohio. Two children, Eldora Blanche and Clinton, have been born to them. Mr. Culver was reared in the faith of the Methodist Protestant Church, his parents being worthy members of that denomination. He votes the Republican ticket.
P. Curtis, a farmer and stock-raiser of section 29, Jasper township, was born in
Washington county, Ohio, July 30, 1833, and is the son of Elisha and Frances
(Scott) Curtis, natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania respectively. He received
his education in the common schools and was reared to the occupation of a
farmer. In the fall of 1850 he emigrated to Linn county, Iowa, where his father
entered 200 acres of Government land; this was improved and was his father's
home the balance of his days; his death occurred in 1881, at the age of
seventy-seven years; the mother survived until 1887, being eighty years of age.
12, 1860, Mr. Curtis was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Abner
Lacock. After his marriage he settled on eighty acres of unimproved land in
Jones county, Iowa, which he entered from the Government; he resided there until
February, 1870, when he sold out and removed to Page county, Iowa, renting land
there for one year; at the end of that time he bought 160 acres of land in a
wild state in Taylor county, and a third time began the task of developing a
farm in the western frontier. In 1883 he came to Adams county and settled on his
and Mrs. Curtis are the parents of four children, three of whom survive: William
Albert, Francis and George; the fourth child died in infancy. The mother of
these children died in Taylor county, May 27, 1878. Mr. Curtis was again married
April 4, 1888, to Miss Olive Jackson, a native of Illinois, and a daughter of
Isaac Jackson of Jasper township. By this union two children were born: Helen
Politically our subject is identified with the Democratic party.